Mfw playing Chrono Trigger for the first time and having an absolute blast

How about just a good old comfy thread about what games we're currently playing and how fun they are?

Other urls found in this thread:

pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=298920
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

UR MOM UR MO MUR MOM UR MOM HQHHA

fuck you

WHAT I'M PLAYING IS NOT COMFY, IT'S BRUTAL AND MERCILESS

I was playing pic related and having a good time until I hit a massive series of fetch quests

Witcher 3

Unbelievably comfy game, full of shit to do, and a rich story where your choices actually change what happens.

AMAZING OST. It's so easy to relax in this world.

This song plays when you're a in a true nordic region with longships, vikings, bears, and isles. I don't want to leave Skellige when I'm there.

Not playing much of anything right now (I keep putting off grinding souls in FtNW; would be nice if I had some optional bosses left at this point that gave more than one measly soul, if any), but still feeling pretty comfy since I found some vidya I was looking for today at half decent prices, finished Christmas shopping, and a game a family member ordered for me for Christmas arrived. Would be completely satisfied if something I'd ordered myself last week wasn't still somehow bogged down in North Carolina. Somehow I get the feeling it's not going to get here until January at the rate it's going.

Anyhow, Chrono Trigger's well regarded for good reason. In a way, it ultimately doesn't do all that much original, but what it does, it does extremely well. If you think you're comfy now, wait until you reach Antiquity.

/vr/ is always right.
I want to continue Half Life on Dreamcast but goddamn do I not want to sacrifice my VMU just for it.

baby's first jrpg OP.

try Dragon Quest V after

Op should play the first two Golden Sun games. They are the definition of comfy.

I agree that they're pretty comfy, but I suppose it depends on how one feels about the verbosity of them. Also doesn't help things that these days the only path of discussion for them is either lamenting "tfw no GS4" or complaining about NoA handled the English script compared to the original Japanese one.

I played all 3 Phantasy Star games for the genesis. I like that it's a straight up scifi RPG without "magic technology" bullshit.
2 is good, but its age shows in how slow it is. Menuing, battles, and movement are all super slow.
3 is basicly the Invisible War/Dark Souls 2 of the series, but it's still worth playing.
4 fixes the slow gameplay, makes great use of the genesis sound chip, and the final boss is a blast to fight.
You can beat 3 and 4 without any grinding, but in 2 you need to buy the best equipment to stand a chance in dungeons, and at the end of the game you need to grind 5+ levels and steal the best items with rng.

I had ordered Portrait of Ruin, but since it has been stuck in transit I started to replay Order of Ecclesia again. It's really fun, I'm enjoying that it has shorter but more varied stages than being stuck in the castle all the time. The combat system is a gimmick, but it doesn't hurt the game, so whatever. The villager quests where you have to bring x number of y item are shit, items drop too rarely. Problem is, you need to do those quests to unlock certain items in the shop. They are not that important, so you can ignore them, but it still bugs me. Apparently the game has some online features as well, but they are pretty much tacked on and the Nintendo WFC doesn't work anymore anyway.

Overall still an extremely fun game, somewhere between Metroidvania and Classic Castlevania. 10/10, would wear a leash and sleep besides Shanoa's bed see >>/cow/243076 if you don't get the reference

Chrono Trigger is my go-to comfy game, I play it at least every year. It's a shame us Europoors didn't get it officially until the DS release. We got Terranigma at least though.

Any idea how Phantasy Star Generations I and II compare with their original counterparts?

Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous that you guys had to wait fourteen years to officially get Chrono Trigger, and have still been denied the likes of Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Wild Arms 2, etc.

Triple carrot is your friend for crossboard linking.

I played through Soul Blazer recently and I loved it. The combat was fun, and I liked all the hidden stuff in the game. A bit similar to A link to the past, but more action less puzzles. I played the game on my phone, while it made the controls a bit harder, the game was forgiving enough for me to make it through the entire game.
I started playing Illusion of Gaia afterwards, while it looks a lot better, I lied the freedom and hidden stuff found in Soul blazer, besides now I am stuck at the vampire couple boss , where it feels like I GOT to have some tighter controls.
The nice thing is, that I played the games on snes9x, it has auto-save on shutdown, and auto-load on startup, meaning I can instantly pick up where I left off.

Oh yeah, Chrono Cross is actually pretty good. I should finish that one of these days.

Don't forget about Terranigma. I think there's an "NTSC" patch to increase the refresh rate or whatever, since it only officially came out in English in PAL and they had 50 mHz instead of 60 mHz like NA and Japan, or whatever the issue was.

I've been on the fence wether I should drop Gaia and move on to Terranigma. I am getting nowhere with that vampire boss.

It just seems so baffling. I mean, I can perhaps see why Wild Arms 2 didn't make it over ("professional" critics here in NA were rather harsh on it, though these days it's pretty well regarded, barring the translation being lacking in proper flow at points), but in Chrono Cross and Xenogears' cases, both did quite well here in NA, at least to the point of getting Greatest Hits prints. Yet neither were apparently deemed worthy of continuing that trend of good sales via a European release, and to this day have still never seen an official release there (Chrono Trigger at least saw another chance through the DS port when that happened; neither Cross or Xenogears have been physically ported elsewhere). At least the NA PSN has both and the PS3 can have multiple accounts set up.

Sorry, I never played those. Aren't they Japan only?

Ah, what can we do. At least emulation's an option.

Officially, yes. Both have fan translations through, with PSG1 being complete to my knowledge, while PSG2 is at v0.8 open beta, or something. I've seen downloads around.

Yeah, true. Emulation's probably how the bulk of NA fans have played Terranigma, since Enix had shut down their NA branch at the point it would have been able to come over. Plus, Square seems extremely set on NOT digitally rereleasing Enix's older stuff out here on the VC or PSN (pretty sure ActRaiser is the only one we've seen that done for), and in general there's the missed potential of using the VC and PSN to give NA and PAL games that one region saw but the other didn't (and thus are already in English in some format).

Currently playing We Love Katamari, after playing the first and having such a blast. The analog sticks being the main way to play really reminds me quite a bit of games like Ape Escape. My only real gripe is occasional issues that are really more the fault of the emulator, and the feeling that the game feels a bit more restricted than the first game, but I'm only like 4 levels in. If you have a Playstation emulator I'd really recommend it

I don't know what the fuck goes through their heads, it seems like they only exist to constantly shoot themselves in the foot.

My metroidvania ranking is:

1-AoS
2-SOTN
3-OoE

To me, these are the only three metroidvanias you need.
OoE is fucking amazing, and different.
Any other metroidvania similiar to SOTN/AoS are inferior to SOTN and AoS so you might as well stick to those.

AoS is my favourite as well, although I'd most likely put OoE 2nd and SOTN 3rd.

You know what the best part is? They didn't even bother localizing the DS port, it's English and French in every country

Thanks. >>>/cow/243076>Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous that you guys had to wait fourteen years to officially get Chrono Trigger

Let's try it one more time >>>/cow/243076

Also while the online trading doesn't work anymore, the wi-fi unlocking if you connect it to a copy of Castlevania Judgment still works.
…but you need a wii, and most important a copy of Judgment.
I hope to god you can find an ISO because holy fuck actually owning a copy of Judgment would be embarassing as shit.

Also the alternative way to unlock the shit you get from linking the two games is to beat the game on lvl1 hard mode.
Wich is really fucking intense and difficult, much more than most other castlevania games, so it's up to you.

Perfect for this time of year.

Does it unlock anything worthwhile? Because Judgment is the sort of thing I would not even play if you handed me the ISO for it.

I'm not entirely sure what all PAL did and didn't see back on the PS1 (recently found out about Chrono Cross not having been brought over at all; had though it was just Trigger that didn't for a while), but having run a comparison of what's on the NA PSN vs PAL PSN JRPGwise, the PAL one was really lacking. I'd have thought that the amount of PAL PS3 owners that run with NA PSN account would send a message.

What, like they just took the Canada print (I've wound up with Canuck games before on accident, and some do ask which of the two scripts you want to play with) and released it as the PAL one? If so, that's fucking lazy. Did they even adjust spelling for regional differences ("color" to "colour", etc)?

It unlocks a bunch of equipment but most importantly it unlocks the level cap to 255.
If you're autistic like me, then you MUST max out the level in any metroidvania (unless you're doing a challenge run i guess).
So i needed to unlock it.
I still haven't reached 255 at it requires roughly 50 years of grinding, but it wouldv'e bothered the fuck outta me if i didn't have it unlocked at least.

Obviously you don't need the unlocked level cap to beat the game, tho, it's balanced around the locked cap wich is…i think 66, maybe.

Probably. The DS is region-free, so they wouldn't even have to adjust anything. I only know that there is no German translation, I don't know if the French got a French translation (i.e. Canadian release) or an English version as well (US release I guess).

I don't know, I haven't played the DS port.

Embed related is my favorite rendition of that song.

Playing those games on the GBA was mind-blowing. Pixels flying fucking everywhere and the summons were insane. Even if they are super easy it is a great fucking series.

I liked Circle of the Moon. The Dual Setup System was pretty neat, though some cards are just fucking impossible to stumble into.

Where I live, you could probably have a local store toss Judgment onto a Wii and then do the connection that way. Though, I suppose even if you're avoiding dropping money on that shitshow, you're still making everyone else in there suffer from even having it on the tv screen.

Really liked Circle of the Moon myself, but yeah. Trying to grind on those ice armors for that one card, especially prior to purifying the waterway, is hell.

I think I'll live without those unlocks. I don't think I had even hit the regular level cap in my playthroughs and I don't have enough autism to level more than I have to. A shame about the equipment, that spell in your GIF looks cool. I fucking hate connectivity, it's like DLC, but instead of jewing you into paying 5$ to unlock something that's already in the game they force you buy a different video game system and a different game to unlock something that's already in the game.

Yeah, you fellas are lucky in that regard. I'm not bitter but I am quite envious considering JRPGs were one of my favourite genres growing up. Although we do share a common grievance in the the fact that they didn't release games like Bahamut Lagoon and Seiken Densetsu 3 outside of Japan, granted it was towards the end of the SNES's life cycle.

What?
No, that's not an unlockabe, that's in the game.
You really should've grabbed a guide and went looking for all the hidden items/glyphs, seems like you missed out on a bunch.

Wasn't part of the issue with SD3 more that it was pretty buggy in the Japanese release? Still, I suppose they could have always touched it up before sending it overseas (kind of like what happened with Tales of the Abyss PS2)? Bigger gripe I have isn't so much when a game is release too late to be brought over (and sometimes it still happens despite that; Baten Kaitos Origins, for example, though once again PAL got fucked out of a release), it's when the publisher responsible makes some stupid decision that the west wouldn't want an otherwise excellent game all because of some arbitrary reason. Like Namco deciding that the west would only want 3D Tales games, prompting them to ignore bringing over Destiny 2, Rebirth, and especially Destiny Remake/Director's Cut.

Anyhow, if you haven't played it yet and are still into JRPGs, I'd recommend giving Wild Arms 2 a go sometime.

I've got it on my backlog along with the first one. That's also a problem with having an interest in RPGs in general, I'm probably never going to finish that backlog. The Wild West sort of setting will probably knock it into a higher priority though, I haven't seen an RPG like that before.

On the whole, Wild Arms is a sort of mixture of sci-fi, fantasy/supernatural, and western elements in varying amounts by the entry, leaving it less "wild west" and more "weird west." And the overall world settings vary from game to game, between wasteland, frontier, and wild west desert. Still, that western vibe was kind of its niche while it was still ongoing (I will not count the mobile reboot as bringing the series back to life unless it actively proves to do so, until then, it's a zombie); I'm not sure if there's a lot of other JRPGs that bothered with dabbling in it that much, aside from maybe Live-a-Live having a wild west chapter.

Oh yeah I forgot about Live-A-Live, that was a pretty good game as well. I'm definitely going to look into Wild Arms though, thanks for the info.

Here's these if they help.

Where's COTM

Ooh, much appreciated.

this is a 4chan template format
I recommend reporting darkmage

I also feel I ought to emphasize that the music is really damn good throughout the series, with Naruke have been great of tense battle themes, adventurous dungeon/overworld pieces, and comfy as fuck town music. While she got sick partway through WA4 and didn't return to the series, her successors (Kouda, Agematsu, and Elements Garden) have done a pretty good job emulating her style, while still having a sense of it being their own work.

I swear, I'm not even sure Camelot even wanted to make a third game. Between the massive gap of time and various changes that seem to have been made to anger returning fans, it honestly makes me wonder if they just wanted an out from having to make JRPGs (bit odd, considering Camelot had been known for Shining prior during their Sega days) so they could focus more on Mario sports, which is the bulk of what they've done since heading to work with Nintendo.

Does it really matter if the thread creates pleasant video game discussion? Is that not why we're here?

That is nice. Alright I'm sold, going to boot up the first one tomorrow, thanks fella.

No problem. Just don't mind the early 3D in combat during the first game (some do find it to have it's own charm). The later ones improve in the 3D department, whilst dropping the 2D spriting.

Stop trying to fit in.

Oh I don't mind that stuff, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Normally around Christmas time I'll play a pokemon game that I enjoyed. Should I play Sapphire or Leafgreen this year, Holla Forums?

I want to impregnate her.

I'm just saying. As a game Sony would directly own the rights to, I expect they forced Media.Vision to have some amount of 3D in it to show off some of what the PS1 could do for an RPG graphics wise (WA being released before FFVII), and they settled for just having the combat in 3D.

I want to impregnate you!

Okay.~

Play Pokemon Adventures: Red Chapter.
pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=298920

It's a romhack but I'd say it's the best Pokemon game I ever played. Leagues above the official games.