2 Questions

1. Why are video games shit?
Is it because they're commercial products instead of the product of a focused effort of a design team like (((film)))?

b) Why are people who talk about video games so vehemently worse?
Would it hurt to not be hyperexcited normalfags over every casual game using the tired bamham combat system or shitposting 24/7 over nothing instead of discussing video games on a mechanical level?

Didn't you hear? Gamers are dead, OP. Dead.
>>>/reddit/

because you never liked videogames in the first place, if you did, you would have found your niche and its community long ago instead of following AAA releases and their discussions like a retard

The answer is yes to your first question. Unlike films and books, which are made with love and a vision first, video games are made purely for profit.

Nearly every creative endeavor, especially the more successful ones, have been about creating for commercial purposes rather than pure craft or art. And if it weren't for commercial purposes, it was probably for some other self-interest like pushing a specific agenda. There are very few pure craftsman in any medium that do what they do for the craft itself, and rarely are they successful.

They aren't.

Worse than what? Book and movie nerds? They are just as fucked the only difference being that more people have options on vidya leading to more stupid opinions.

Woah, when did the Red Arremer get all 3D and shit?

But even niche indie games are just messy rehashes of stuff done in the 90s or so rough around the edges it hurts. I do like video games, hence why I'd like them to strive for something better.

DOOM did it once upon a time. They designed a game and fleshed it out to the right degree in all its aesthetic and technical aspects, then used a good design philosophy to bring everything together, by the time they brought it all together they'd caught lightning in a bottle.

Book and movie nerds actually talk about what their mediums do, why scenes are good in movies, how a director captures performances or why a film is edited the way it is. In design terms, games have regressed backwards so far in the last decade that they're worse than when the medium took off, yet nobody wants to discuss games in design terms, they want to talk about games as they look or they don't want to think about games at all and spam image macros about online communities and non-celebrities.

Doom isn't even that fun

1) consolefags

We do, or did, talk about designed elements on Holla Forums then when this place started going downhill /svidya/ was the place for discussion.
There are still places on the net for meaningful vidya discussion they are just getting harder to find as more idiots want to talk shit than the other mediums.

Throw that meme image away
Videogames were or a bit related to literature and cinema. The closest to videogames are amusement parks, toys, tabletops, sports and boardgames. The problem with many videogames today they don't have any gameplay depths anymore to talk about because of the cinema and literature thinking and people are defending this on the internet.

Cuckchan refugees

1. They aren't.
2. You're on Holla Forums

I'm aware, I remember this place being briefly good, and I bet most of the people from then are still here now. Why must retards try to ruin everything that could be nice in my life?

But you aren't even willing to say why you think that.

Games can do the fucking works, you can design a game using elements from almost any other art form. It's unfair to say the cinematic influence is wasted on video games when elements like visual and audio motifs, which were more or less perfected by cinema, can add so much to gameplay. Platinum games use it in Bayonetta, it's why the combat system is so good, you can play it with your eyes closed and dodge based purely on audio tells. The consistency of the enemies is what lets the player be so stylish when they're good at the game.

You already ✡know.✡
Because you touch yourself.

Look harder.
I personally believe that general vidya discussion is something only casual fans do, normally people who play broad genres like adventure and action games and a little of everything. Hardcore fans usually find something they really enjoy from a kind of videogames and they get deeply involved with it, and have meaningful discussion with people with similar tastes. Just like racing games are nothing like fighting games, platformers or shooting games the hardcore fans of those games usually don't have common ground for discussion.
I like fighting games a lot, but I don't think I know enough about racing games for example to have an interesting discussion about them. If I were to dedicate enough time to racing games to be a hardcore fan I wouldn't have enough time for fighting games anymore, it's all about specialization.

tldr; A shallow taste only brings shallow discussion.

they aren't.

b) Why are people who talk about video games so vehemently worse?
because you're looking at shitposters and making shit meta threads instead of actually talking about video games on a mechanical level.

BUT THAT'S WRONG YOU FUCKING RETARD
In 2nd person you address the subject, when was the last time you talked to a movie character? Yes I mad

Yeah I think that but otherwise I like the diagram and the rest of the article is good.
I suggest you read it, it's called something like game design by hitboxteam.