Phantasy Star II is a Ripoff

Mechanically it is a almost complete ripoff of Dragon Quest III and IV, only set in space, without a job system. Everything else is pretty much Dragon Quest in space. Why is this game so overrated? It is one of the worst offenders of JRPG cloneitis.

3/10 bait, made me reply.

every jrpg is a clone of dragon quest silly

Wrong

This topic is so fucking stupid that I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume its bait instead of you being this mentally handicapped

The party has a caterpillar formation just like DQIII. Inventory works just like in DQIII, with limited space carried by each character with every item taking up one slot. Game is saved similarly, by having the information recorded as an in lore record by NPCs. Said NPCs also are necessary in order to know how much experience a character requires to level up (just like DQ series), vs indicating it through a menu. Weapon shops don't buy anything just like in DQ, only item shops will let the player sell things. Enemy groups are targeted instead of individual enemies.

If this kind of copying happened today nobody would let it slide, yet this game always gets praised despite being a blatant clone of DQIII.

WHAT A SHOCKER

Very few are direct copies.

Who cares?

Somebody cares.

Have you also noticed the sky has a bluish tint to it?

And Dragon Quest is a rip off of Wizardry and Ultima

And those are based on Dungeon and Dragons. And that is based on Tolkien's works and that is based on ancient Germanic and Gaelic lore.

Nihil sub sole novum, shit thread.

Completely missing the point. Dragon Quest was inspired by Wizardry and Ultima. It wasn't an exact copy of most of their features.

Duke Nukem is DOOM ripoff wow waht a shit gaem fucking gay.

yeah, because they dumbed it down.

They're really not, if anything Wizardry is inspired lore-wise by D&D but doesn't play like it, while DQ plays a lot like a Wizardry clone for babbys.

For the era, "Dragon Quest but in space" was pretty mindblowing that you could have a JRPG that wasn't just medieval fantasy.

Never mind that the first couple of Ultima games had you going to other planets and using rayguns.

New classic PS game, when?

Looking back, Phantasy Star 1 had far more in common with Wizardry than DQ, what with the 3d dungeons to crawl and all.

I only wish jap devs in general weren't stuck worshiping the first few Wizardries forever, and ripped off the likes of Wiz8 instead. Building their waifufaggotry upon that base, rather than using the same box dungeon/non-interactive player made party member template for their dungeoncrawlans for decades.

As hard as it may be today, PS2's story was mind blowing for it's time, especially the ending. It was one of the first games with a protagonist who had his own internal struggles. That being said, if you want a good Phantasy Star game you play either 1 or 4.

*As hard as it may be to believe today

IV is a good game, and I'm not saying II is bad. I was just pointing out how much of a copy it was. It just struck me because I'm doing a playthrough of both DQIII and Phantasy Star II at the same time.

As for Phatansy Star I, I don't really want to play as a girl adventuring with a literal house cat. In fact it seems for all Phantasy Star II's copying, that it is the only one in the series with a decent main character. IV has Chaz, who is a walking joke.

actually based on WW1

You mean, the similar use of some mechanics? Yeah, surely