Dreamcast Thread

Time for another thread anons. You still have your Dreamcast right?

What have you been playing on SEGAs last console recently? Have you been having fun on any new games burnt for it?

Any of you niggers want to try online at one point? Since more and more games have had their online restored, it's probably a perfect time to play PSO/Chu Chu Rocket/etc.

Juse use a SJWpi. Get one 2nd hand and shove the OS onto an SD, connect up, play. It's easy as fuck now.

Other urls found in this thread:

dreamcast-talk.com/forum/app.php/page/onlinegames
gdemu.wordpress.com/
dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php
dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#1
gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/916412-dreamcast/faqs/2669
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Been meaning to take it out and replay skies of arcadia. Vigilante 8 would be fun too.

dreamcast-talk.com/forum/app.php/page/onlinegames

For games online.

Not that I'm complaining but, why?
And also, how?

Because DC still has a following making games and playing shit. May as well restore those features for shits and giggles.

How? No clue.

Wait really?

That's pretty fucking crazy.

Not all that surprising. Given how open that system is, it's helped keep it alive all these years. Some faggot even made a new FPS engine for the fucking thing recently.

Sweet, I'll have to dig out my DC later and start playing again.

What are those direct adapters for?

I would assume for the online, since they made something to simulate a dial up connection

Vie been playing JoJos Bizzare adventure recently with my little brother. He loves the hell out of it.

Also I would love to play online with you fags one of these days if I can ever figure out how to do that.

play jojo online? there's fightcade for that.

SD card loading into the serial port. It's mediocre, but useful for small hoembrews.

With a Pi, it's fairly straightforward. Near enough plug and play.

Not with JoJo. The other online games for dreamcast.

Also do you have any idea where those direct adapters are supposed to be plugged into in the dreamcast?

Oh okay. Sounds pretty good

Connect ethernet to Pi, run shit on it, you're online as far as I know.

That pi thing seems complicated.

It's a project.

Its shit mate. Most games will either be unplayable or run slow, an emulator works better than fucking Dreamshell. Plus updates fuck with compatibility constantly so a previously working game might not work with the OS update. If one doesn´t want to buy or burn games the best alternatives are SD or USB loading. Neither are perfect tho and theyre very expensive

Mainly why said useful for small homebrews.
Dreamshell is shit otherwise. USB loading? I know of network streaming, but that's a new one.

got a DC about a year ago
I play it on an iregualar basis, but I spent like a week burning CD-R's so essentially I have the entire collection of games, or at least the ones I want. Need to get a VGA cord, another controller, and 99 min CD-R's, which seem pretty rare.
Last game I played was NHL2K2, which is a fun as fuck game.

How's an IDE adapter for a Dreamcast?

:'(

Goddamn you, poor younger me!

They're still cheap to pick up user.

I sold mine, some crazy guy gave me 30€ for it

Why user.

So anybody here have the list of Holla Forumss recommended dreamcast games?

Yeah.

fukkin saved

I got my first Dreamcast and another one around the same time about eight years ago. I've always had a spot in my setup for it, but I've never given it any attention. Did buy Crazy Taxi 1+2 a few months ago, though.

The best alternative is a GDEMU

gdemu.wordpress.com/

The guy making them is currently doing Saturn drives until the end of January. The only way to get an order in is to have the money ready, set a web alert for his site and wait.

This thing is the only reason why I still have a paypal account.

You can shove in an IDE drive but it'll still use dreamshell.

So still shit then? Shame. IDE would be useful.

No point with Saturn one with USB hub around the corner.

Its still possible to connect online the old fashioned way with lineup?

*is it still

You mean dailup? While I've never tried it should work. But hooking it up to the modem on a PC is a much better solution.

dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php

One day within our lifetimes authentic dialup will only be found in computer museums. And they tend to be 'living history' type museums that encourage interaction from the public using genuine articles, so I could see some anons here bringing their DC to one to go online 50-60 years from.

Welp. Like I said, if I have access to dialup then the internet connection should work right?

It should, but for running W98 it's as simple as downloading virtual box and an iso. Any computer from the last decade can run it in a virtual machine no problem. I've resorted to doing this for old games I couldn't get to work in Wine.

If you've got a dreamcast with a 56k modem, a phone/fax port on a computer and time to kill you can go online.

Well shit why didn't I think of that. Completely forgot my computer still has one.

dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#1

I just read on here at step 6 it says

Does that mean I won't be able to?

Yeah some russian dude makes them. Roughly same price as the SD card loader, it has its own problems though.

Bump.

Also this

To make a long story short that's because AOL isn't real dialup, the iconic modem sound is just an audio file that plays at startup not real dial tones.

Many consumer electronics from the late 90's didn't work with AOL(they wanted to turn the internet into a walled garden) and the Dreamcast was one of them. The Dreamcast FAQ from '99 on gamefaqs says as much.

gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/916412-dreamcast/faqs/2669

Only internet veterans know about this history, a grey bearded sysadmin could talk your ear off about how evil AOL is.

you just destroyed my childhood

Ohhh I get it now. I just have to use dialup that's not AOL

bump. I've got a phone line cable finally. I'm gonna try connecting online and telling you fags how it goes.

Hope for the best.

Damn I need to play some more DC, what happened to the threads that would pop up bi-weekly or so? Dreamcast user convinced me to get one and so far its been a blast

This game is fun as fuck.

dubs confim.

Bump.

also: best unit+software combo for burning games?

if you think the dreamcast is a blast, just wait til you get into the saturn

Already have a chipped Saturn. Its the tits, waiting on that USB loader tho

I loved the dreamcat

where can i get one?

some time in the next 1-2 years