How do I prevent becoming a classic arrogant indie dev cunt?

I'm developing a videogame that is (to me) showing a lot of promise. How do I prevent becoming a fucking embarrassment, like Narry Gay Jewman, Phil Fish, etc. ?

I'm honestly dreading it, since community interaction is an important part of running a successful indie ship, but it's almost as though people end up becoming spiteful cunts no matter what.

What do, Holla Forums?

Dont dye your hair.
Dont buy into leftists bullshit.
Post lots of lewd art of any of your female characters.

I'll post some things specific to Rust in particular. A game that showed a lot of promise and has a few talented people working on it (namely their sound designer and artists) but was completely tanked by Garry Newman and his pet retard "Helkus".

Kinda hurts my feelios since I got the game as a gift and absolutely loved it a year or two ago - yet it turned into a pile of irredeemable dogshit anyhow.

What are you making and how is this even a question that can be asked?

don't be an entitled cunt and think your customers are there to serve you and your fucking ego

Well, first of all stop seeying your game as indie, but as representation of your work and part your soul. If you can do that, you can't do it shitty, if you work like tomorrow the world will disappear.

Don't worry about having a lot of people playing it, but rely on critics and criticize your work yourself accordingly to your highest ideals.

And remember, only absolute perfection worth wasting your time and everyone's time. You have to have unrippable guts, man.

Turn your game into meme. That's what Toby Fox did.

Stay away from your community. The community will not know what the fuck it wants and exposing yourself to the community is another avenue of showing them your power level.

The community will try to drain you of your will to make good games as well. Never lose this drive.

I'd say find your core demographic and pander to them first, all others second. But that's really a problem for companies that have already taken off; they tend to try and pander to various fringe demographics to increase userbase and just assume that the core demographic that made them in the first place will just be happy with whatever castoff they get. That works in the short-term but kills long-term stability; look at how easily Dead Space undid itself.

This might sound like shitty behavior but don't read comments if you don't have thick skin, or if you are depressed.
Also never share an email.

No, you need to engage with your community, you should be able to discern between what is good and what is bad for your own game, if the community is doing something other than covering your blindspots you aren't doing things right.

I dunno. I guess focus on making games, not on trying to be an e-celeb.

No, the community doesn't know what is shit and what is not shit. The best game developers are those who are able to judge it for themselves and base it on what sells. The best way to vote is with your wallet. Thats the cold, honest truth.

Learning, not hatred. Learn from your customer, and appreciate ALL criticizm. That's the way to perfection.

Just, like, make game.
Seriously, the big problem I see with indie devs now is they never fucking finish their games.
Make a complete game, maybe a couple updates if it really badly needs them, then use the money you made from that game to make another game.

You should talk to your community but you don't have to do what they tell you to do, and you should in most cases ignore them, it's always good to have a few more eyes there will always be bugs that you or your co-workers can't find or issues that you simply could never have thought of because you are you.

Kids can't into criticism, and neither can feminists.
You don't know how it's like to deal with the masses, it either empowers you greatly, or poisons and destroys you.
There's a reason if many Hollywood stars do cocaine.

Be an autist. Talk with fans but don't give a shit about them.

I shave my head

I am a nihilist and believe in freedom of thought, action and speech above all else

I love lewds

Am I doing it right, user?

I'm making a sandbox game based mostly about interacting with the world and other players in the smoothest and most intuitive manner possible. I'm not really chasing a particular genre, just pursuing an idea of a game that I really wanted to make.

Sorry for being vague, I'm just going to have to think about it some more before I can define it in a single sentence.

I don't want to lead you to think that I think that I'm making something revolutionary, either. I'm just trying to keep my view of the game open to new ideas and boxing it in as a "survival", "PVP", etc. is counter-intuitive to that approach.

Right now I'm working on making a proper character controller that would be true-first-person and feel as fluid and organic as faux-FPS one does. It's tricky.

At this point in time I'm pursuing an idea of nudging the player to relate their character's body to their own, so they don't feel disoriented if their character is tossed about violently or moved in a way that might create confusion.

I see climbing as being a significant part of getting around in the procgen environment, so I felt like making sure that this particular aspect of the game works is very important.

Give up, settle down into the mud of Holla Forums like us and shitpost till the sweet release of death or the heat death of the universe. This is the only way to remain based, your game will always be better in imagination than in reality.

So, you are making RUST clone, huh. Learn from skyrim mods. Make it so player can't create a house and shit right on, but a campfire instead, hunt animals, skin then, separate meat from bones, etc. Expand on interactivity.

Nah, that will make him sit here too long instead of making his game.

Its shit

OP said to PREVENT becoming a classic arrogant indie dev cunt, not to become one.

Why did you quote me.

I don't think your game holds value.

Just like make game. Stop worrying about presentation and cult of personality bullshit and just create something worth playing. People will appreciate you all the more for it.

I don't think he meant MASSIVE online.

I am NOT making a Rust clone. Rust does not know what it wants to be. I have a very good idea of what I want to make. And it is not a Rust clone.

50-300 people on one server is more like what I want to have. Good balance between instance-based multiplayer (like online FPS matchmaking) and outright dogshit that is MMO

You don't really know enough about it to say. I talked about a few neutral features but beyond that it could really be anything. I'd say any game can hold value if it has:

1) Fun factor (objectives set either by player himself or by the game)

2) Playground (where to achieve objectives)

3) Obstacles, problem solving and emergent gameplay based around the latter.

Games spring to life when you pour the player into the equation.

YOU CAN'T
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

don't buy into bait on twitter
consider critiques but don't bow to them; this is your game, not theirs. The only reason it would ever need more genderqueerlesbianmalepersonsofcolor is if YOU decide it does
don't tell anyone to suck your dick and choke on it

That's what I fear. It's almost as though there's some sort of mechanism that makes people into fags if they touch gamedev

Tell everyone to suck your dick and choke on it from day one.

CUCK DEV CUCK DEV YOU NEVER FOOLED ME

That really depends on the dev.

You won't have anything to worry about if you actually finish your fucking game.
Every shitty dev does one or both of the following
Don't do either of those things and you won't be a shitty dev or at least not a famously shitty dev

Op, i have a very scary message for you:
You still have to even finish your game, before you can even consider thinking about public appreciation.

Smells like Reddit in here.

I don't know shit about Rust but I can kinda sympathize with statements in that picture. Someone paid $20 (probably even less on sale) for your shitty indie game years ago and they think they own you forever.
You avoid that by making sure you have a viable business model. Don't make games that will be in development forever unless you can get a subscription fee out of it. Instead keep the game small and focused and plan a number of sequels. Make something that will sell and milk it. Or make original games but release them all at once, no open beta or free expansion packs putting you on the hook for shit that doesn't make you any money.

Other than that, it's mostly down to the personality of the kinds of people that make games. Lots of attention whore divas that take themselves too seriously. That and devs get too engaged in their fanbases and get too butthurt over criticism. Sure its a great way to shill your game in the early stages, but at some point communities become self-sustaining and you need to back the fuck off so you can keep your sanity.

tl;dr be a jew, don't be a faggot, disengage from your fanbase as soon as you can.

Talk yourself down when you start getting a big head. Realize you're not special, you're just another programmer, artist, designer, whatever among thousands who pumped out a game and nothing more.

Well, you can't sage on Reddit now can you?

Don't make video games.

1) Be a generally alright person. If you have political opinions leaning one way or the other on the spectrum, hide your power level.

2) Make decent games. Minimal bugs (unless they're the funny kind, rather than the game-breaky kind) with good design. This is the most important part.

3) Make decent games in a good timeframe. THIS IS THE PART THAT DEVELOPERS– INDIE OR OTHERWISE – DO NOT UNDERSTAND. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF YOUR WORK, OR AT BARE MINIMUM JUST WANT TO ENTERTAIN YOURSELF AND THE PEOPLE THAT LOVE YOUR WORK, KEEP PUMPING IT OUT IN A DECENT TIMEFRAME.

DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE SAME TRAPS AS THE >MUH ENGINE FAGS. JUST. LIKE. MAKE. GAME.

4) Don't be afraid to outsource work.

- Don't listen to anyone- not even Holla Forums. Make the game you want to make, for that audience.

- Ignore critique/praise that doesn't elaborate (pic 1, ironically from a Yandere thread). "You're great/suck" doesn't help. You don't even know if the guy knows what he's talking about. If people explain what's wrong/right, listen to it. You'll soon know if it sounds like they're talking out their ass or not.

- Gatekeep your community (Pic 2). If you get an influx of new people (thanks youtubers), make it clear what the game is about. Don't change for people that don't sound like your audience. Likewise, don't tell the audience how to enjoy your game, or who they should be. Tried to make a game for hardcore [genre] fans and you accidentally made it casual? Shut up shop, relaunch and rebrand; or get used to it. Likewise, if they have different politics to you, or hate the character you designed to be liked- who cares.

- You're the entertainer. You entertain them, get feedback, and go your separate ways. I don't give a shit what you do in your spare time. I don't care if you're struggling- the show must go on. I only care about me, I want my entertainment. Open a blog when worth-while people start asking about your life- and by then you should be a well known name in the Gaming world. When you do open your trap- remember the internet never forgets. Make that forum post when you're wide-awake, and you can proof read it- then get someone else to proof read it. Be clear as crystal. Most importantly; never trick the audience into thinking you are their friend. You are not. You'll attract a cancerous community very quickly if you do. (I'll try and find info on avoiding attraction of a bad community).

- Don't be afraid to admit what you were inspired by. Don't freak out when someone says "So it's like [game]?" Now if you're worth a damn, you've made the game better, or you've added new mechanics (not a setting, not a story- gameplay mechanics), so you can say "Yeah! I really liked that game, but I…"

- Blacklist bad reviewers. Don't respond to them. Don't even gossip or bad mouth them. They're on par with a blog with 1 or 2 followers. They're not worth mocking, no matter how much of an internet tough-guy it makes you look. You don't want to buy bad press by shitting on those who have 100+ attack dogs. They're the most dangerous nobodies you'll meet; surpassed only by your own audience.

- Know your shit. If you don't know your shit- don't lie or blag to cover it up. Know it before you open your mouth. Think you know everything? Ask yourself "What should I be thinking about, that I'm not?" or "What should I learn today?". Even get people to ask questions about the game. Even the casual mobile gaming tween might ask the one question that blind-sides you. And it'll be even more embarrassing when all you can say is "I don't know." However, you can't know everything. If you don't know- admit it. Look it up ASAP.

- Avoid soap-boxing like the plague. You can present a message if you want (as simple or as serious as you like). Messages can be interpreted differently. A bad message says "you are bad purely for the reason of not agreeing with this message". A good message says "Here's why this is good/bad, and if you don't agree even after seeing the consequences, then I can't stop you." or "What do you think?"

- You're making a game first and foremost. If you keep talking about anything but the gameplay when talking about it- work out why. Is there not enough gameplay to talk about? Is the too focused on other things? Of course, you could also suck at explaining things. Learn if you do- and fast.

That is what you will become when you allow the sycophants into your heart. They'll flatter you, coddle you, and soon you will shun and dread all criticism.

In addition to my last post ( ), try to follow respectable gamedevs. Daniel Remar, Daisuke Amaya, Joakim Sandberg (while I disapprove of his political opinions personally, he's at least an alright guy that knows his shit), and others. Don't try to copy them, just learn how they tick.

While he's not technically a game developer(?), Arne Niklas Jansson (AndroidArts) is really big on both visual and gameplay design. He also likes boobies and womens' panties. Another person whose political opinions I disagree with, but he's an alright guy whose works I occasionally look to for inspiration.

put effort into your game and when gamers praise you dont let tit get to your head

i think its just this.

Keep the faith and respect the gamers
Stay clear from the greed and don't forget your original passion
Stay away from the political ideologies and always be humble
Take full responsibility for your actions

Well shit, I made a post years ago on how to avoid bad communities, and I guess I didn't save the screencap.

Boiled down:

- Don't make your art-style so simple a retard could imitate it. Otherwise it's harder for the community to oust retards with original characters (See Sonic).

- Don't present yourself in a manner that suggests SJWs, Tumblr, Reddit, edgy teens, fanatics on either end of the horseshoe, retards, etc are welcome. It won't stop all of them. It won't stop them trying to make the community that. But it'll keep most of them out. Youtubers are a double edged sword, they open the floodgate with their audience joining yours. Consensus cracking can happen in a week. Be careful.

If you are making something and have it public for people to see its development, dont take 10 fucking years to do it with 90% of your time being breaks. I fucking hate that just as much as SJW agenda pushing in their games. Please update at least a little often.

Example - CubeWorld, OverGrowth, etc

The Raspberry Pi foundation lost a massive chunk of their fanbase when they came out against those evil goober gators and their misogynist ways. Turns out that telling nerds to fuck off while selling a product to nerds is a bad idea. Now mentioning the Pi on Holla Forums and Holla Forums makes people post much better alternatives. Odroid C2
I'd give other examples of companies alienating their fanbase over political or religious reasons, but I can't think of any more at the moment. The important thing to remember is to keep your opinions to yourself. A game company makes games and nothing more, and taking any sides will result in you losing sales.

First make a complete game
Second do not ever promise or leave the impressions you're gonna do something when you're not gonna do it or not sure you're gonna do it
Third don't take anything too personally, they don't know you and you don't know them
Fourth regardless of how retarded some dude might be he's always right about how he feels about your game, engage politely once then disengage if he's doubling down on retardation
Fifth, find a neutral third party you trust as a moderator for your community or keep it unmoderated (aka just remove spam and illegal shit) trust me unless you have professional experience in a big studio there's a point where you're gonna do something stupid if you have the power to do so
Sixth wherever you decide your community should be don't talk about things that aren't your game, don't allude to them, don't acknowledge people talking about them
Seventh do not vindicate nuthuggers, if someone is asking/complainging about your game then someone starts rabidly defending your game somewhere either don't respond or respond independently of whatever he said (but only if needed), the more you acknowledge those kind of people the worse your community will become.
Eight, it's YOUR game don't make changes to it you wouldn't enjoy yourself, it's hard and sometimes it can pay to be more flexible than that but generally it's the best way to handle things.

Not much but better than most

This one is the hardest step for anyone.
We don't like to admit it- but we all have a price.

If you're gonna sell out, do it so:
- You sell to someone who will respect your brand. (Small no-name companies selling the IP they just bought to EA/Microsoft is common. Trust them if they have good titles under their wing, and you'd trust them if you were working with them.)

- You can explain why you need the money. (Again, no one cares who you are, but when tempers cool people are gonna be more forgiving if you needed it for medical expenses or to move to a neighborhood where you didn't feel like you were gonna die).

- You never have to work again. (If you're gonna kill your reputation in an industry- which will kinda bleed into other industries- then make it so you're set. And actually research this, you need more than you think).

This also applies if you're working with a publisher- especially rule 1.
Most publisher get the lion's share of your profit (yes, it should be the other way around. You're hiring them for their expertise on advertising and distribution. Instead, they hire you to make money)- and that'll be unavoidable.
If they want to change your vision for the game, ask why. If they offer a decent explanation (someone just released something similar to this, and you'll be accused of being a knock-off, etc) then fair enough. If not- walk. However you can. Not even worth arguing with them "Why did you work with me if you don't like what I make?" (though that'll stonewall them I'd bet)
And hire a guy to read your contract in english. Anything that says they can grab you by the balls and make you change stuff you don't want changed? Walk.
Remember, with the right youtubers playing your game, and digital distribution, you don't need a publisher.

Everyone is going to have a different list of important traits, so I will give you a couple very important universal points.

1: the second anyone sees anything they like you will have people telling you that you are the second coming of Christ. Don't fall for this. Stay humble, understand you are just a normal person not special snowflake material.
2: if your game looks to bring in cash you are going to have big companies Interested. All you gotta do is tweek this slightly. DO NOT DO IT. stay true to your vision, your idea and yourself. Even if you shit the bed you can at least be proud of not being a faggot.
3: your going to have some kind of public image, so every special interest group will want you to speak out against something. You can and should privately endorse whatever you want, but when people spout off about white privilege or gay marriage on Twitter it makes the whole company look bad. So maybe keep politics away from the game and the company, save that for private stuff.

Do what professionals do.
Don't fucking interact with the community.
Keep it strictly professional, and keep who you are damn near anonymous.
Nothing is more poisonous than dev/consumer interaction. People are fucking retarded, you will never please everyone. Do not engage.

Don't talk, chat, text, post, or acknowledge god damn anything, and if at any reason you must interact with the public do so through somebody else that doesn't have any answers.

It sounds crazy, but players love abuse.
Nobody wants to be friends your nerd ass, or get to know you. Once they know you on any kind of a personal level they will feel like they fucking own you.

All successful gaming companies treat their players like garbage but they do it in a sly, and crafty manner.

the sound designer that mad bears bark

Stop bringing attention to yourself, and highlight the strong points of your work without being able to accept criticism. And when you do get criticism, learn to look for validity instead of casting off all criticism and entire websites as the anus of the internet. Put gratuitous nudity options in your games to show offense to the right people.

Keep a low profile.
Downplay your ambition.
Avoid boasting.
Avoid even discussing the game until you're confident you can complete it without compromising on what you've already shown.
Avoid political discussion.
Don't crowdfund.
Don't be entitled.
Don't let your ego get to you.
Don't hype your game until you're confident that it's actually near completion (like, 3 months off or less).

Examples of good indie dev stories/successes:
>Five Nights at Freddy's same situation as above, and plus the dev has made an actual good game previously that never got any attention until this came out
>Wolf3D and Doom 1. they technically were what you'd call "indie devs" these days. 2. they did boast about their projects but rightfully so because they had more technology and innovation at their disposal than any modern indie dev could ever hope for

Examples of indie dev failure/infamy:

How do you fuck up the first spoiler but then get it correct for the rest??

Have thick skin and listen to your true fanbase whether it be Holla Forums or some other fags. Don't take criticism as a direct attack on your judgement unless specifically mention either because as soon as you do that then you've lost.

I don't know.

Just do what you want and don't ask Holla Forums for help at all.

Not that criticism from here is bad but everyone will be at odds with each other and with what you actually want to do and you'll turn into a cunt like YandereDev

Make it free.
People are arrogant because they're not getting the money they want not because they care about the game.
And we're gonna pirate it anyways, so everyone wins.

By not being a cunt.

give money to poor niggers in nigger africa
you'll only alienate a few libertarians for 'keynesianism'

Not to mention the friend simulator aspect that never fails to draw players.

That would be voluntary charity, nothing wrong with that from a libertarian standpoint. What would be wrong would be the government taking money from you (as taxes) and giving it to niggers.

You know, like they do now.

Mainly you just have to realize that the legion of faggots tonguing your asshole for a small pat on the head are ultimately worthless and there solely to boost your ego for the chance to get their own pathetic selves validated by your approval. Realize that, in the grand scheme of things, you're not a special person. Nothing you do is really going to be worth anything in the end, you're not perfect, you're not god's gift to gaming, and ultimately your game can only really strive to be fun in the end.

Don't let the shitposters get to you, don't act like a haughty cunt, and for fuck's sake don't let the indie SJW clique sweet talk you into doing what they want.

Mostly, just remain humble and keep a cool head. Game devs nowadays like to think of themselves as rockstars due to the praise they get heaped upon them for stringing some code together. In reality, you're just crafting a product.

Good luck OP, I hope you don't become a faggot.

Don't dev a piece of shit. Stick to your best stuff, if you're a coder, code some interesting mechanics. If you do art, do it in a consistent and interesting way.

Just make something that isn't a steaming pile of shit and be a good person.

Good luck though, I need a good sandbox autism game. If I can create a cute waifu to play as that would be GOTYAY.

don't worry, the jewish anime game developer has always been a faggot

Make Game
remember these things

The game you are making is your portfolio for getting a paycheck'd job.

If you're doing it with success as the end goal than you are doing it all wrong.

What in the fuck are you hoping to get out of "community interaction".
Constructive feedback & free marketing?

Constructive feedback is best rewarded by asking vague questions about content not necessarily pertaining to your game.

Free marketing is done by appealing to the kinds of egotistical sub-human assclowns who use social media, don't do that.

It's impossible to be an "acceptable dev" according to Holla Forums's definition, because the moment you do something that isn't Holla Forums-approved, everyone will screech like an autist and burn bridges with you or whatever , so go back to reddit cuckchan tumblr fucking SJW nu-male hipster devs sage sage sage sage sage, sage, etc.

This shit.
And also make a barebones alpha for you, and your friends to play. It will makes all the difference in the world, just to see how your game functions in testing.

Oh do tell, what is wrong with TBoI?

Oh, and especially because of fags with chips on their shoulders like who go absolutely bonkers whenever you take pride in anything.

Ed boy is a self entitled prick.
I'm surprised you didn't see the countless threads about the guy a few years back.

I find that hard to believe
what does that even mean?

That dude is great and you're a jelly faggot user

By not making threads like this, you stupid fuck. If you honestly don't know how to interact with people who purchase your product and need Holla Forums of all places to tell, or identify toxic personality types and communities, then you're a fucking idiot.

But I suspect you made this thread as a passive way to stroke your ego and have people ask "Whatcha makin'"

there's a fucking game dev thread, post in there, as they're not huge faggots.

Don't drink the kool-aid. Don't even look at the kool-aid section. When someone says "This offends me" or something tell them to fuck right off.
Also just compare yourself to other douche devs. When you start sharing some points with them, make a point to avoid those habits. And most importantly:
FOR FUCK'S SAKE DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID, NO MATTER WHAT TASTY FLAVOR IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS.

I wish i could literally obliterate every single other person in this thread from orbit but this user that made this post, right here.
By god, fuck OP.
What a dumb motherfucker.
Fuck 90% of Holla Forums too.

Shut yourself off from the community. If you care about communities, you might as well be making MMOs instead of real video games.

The fact that you already recognize those hacks as the embarrassment they are is probably a good start.

Also this. Make the game you want to make, 'community' or fanbase be damned.

If you build it they will come.

For instance
That would be more spitballing than anything.

and then post a picture of rust as if to say
Is a good way to ask.
Many people underlining what they thought the bad parts were and how much a better game it would be if it didn't have those bad parts and maybe what good parts they would add to the game to make it better.

I've personally found the thought process of
Incredibly rewarding just as thought experiments.

I've put a lot of thought for whatever that is worth into a better version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
The core of the idea is breaking up the game's core modes of play (Action, Stealth, Talking/Hacking) into 3 defined modes of play in the same world, same assets, yada yada, that you choose from the outset and have to stick with.
The levels are more or less the same just tailor made for each playstyle and perhaps in different orders.
The real kicker being fairly different thematic stories depending on the playstyle.
One would be a standard action hero movie story.
The next would be a spy thriller.
The last would be more cerebral.

I see Human Revolution in all its flaws as a far more profitable form though because it tries to facilitate different play-styles all at the same time and appeals to people.
All I see is a game trying to chase multiple rabbits and not really catching any of them.

This isn't the best idea for success. Interacting with your community (once you have one) is a good idea because your fans will respect you more, but don't spend all your time doing it.

This. You'll automatically get fans if you do something well.
Also, making sure your game will still be fun to play in 5 or 10 years is also a good idea. Meaning, don't add retarded pre-order DLC or something you'll never be able to get again and don't ruin it with patches.

another thought:
any time a progressive cunt, whether other game deve or some e-mag faggot or even her unholiness sarkeesian, approaches you and starts trying to influence your work, record the conversation.
if they ever threaten you, your sales, or your developmental process, leak the convo to the whole damn internet. Bonus points for voiced recording

People who talk with retard hyperbole like this are guilty of one of the things they try to downplay, don't kid yourself

Somebody has already said it, but who care.
What we say will not matter, and you will become a "classic arrogant developer".
Odds are you'll fail, and your game will be forgotten.
But maybe, just maybe it will work out and you will become popular. That is the point you die.
Not because we hate you, but you hate us. Just like YandereDev and Notch, back on halfchan atleast, redditfags and other cocksuckers will praise the garbage you create after all your clever ideas are used up and you will relish in it and come to shun us.
Make you fucking game and do whatever with it, but you success will bring arrogance.
Too many times has this happened and im fucking tired of the same fucking cycle happening. Doesnt matter who you are now, if you really are a piece of shit like the rest of use you'll see success as an exit fuck this cynical bullshit lifestyle and take advantage of it, which you should.
Im just really drunk right now and venting tight now after to many devs coming to chans for advice and shitting on them once the dollars start rolling in.

So what do?
Fuck yourself with a cactus, aim for the most common (retarded) demographic, and leave this fucking site.

Don't move to London, Stockholm, or SoCal.

>How do I prevent becoming a fucking embarrassment

I'm in a similar position to you, OP. I have thought about this problem a lot though, so here is what I intend to do.

This covers so many possible problems that it's the first rule. If you only focus on talking about your game, nobody can try to pull you into any garbage internet drama

If you intend to release a game with 15 little DLC packs spread over 2 years, just say it ahead of time. Give people an idea of what your plans are for the game rather than shocking them with surprises. Try not to lock in any serious timeframes for anything though until you're confident that you'll keep yourself to that window.

It's important to keep bullshit drama out of your community, but if you personally get involved, you'll be fucked by one side or the other. Get a community manager to moderate your forum, and just delete shitty and disruptive stuff.

I think of shit like that as inspiration. If you know what's legitamate, like "hey this pixel's out of order" or "the art looks like shit, work harder", that's better criticism them "WHY ISN'T THERE ANY DIVERSITY IN THE CHARACTERS CHANGE IT FOR ME NOW"

Be rigid on your story, but be flexible on the technical shit you think needs improvement, or shit you didn't even know you COULD improve.

If someone tells or asks you to change a character because it offends them, tell them to fuck off. But if someone gives you pointers on your art that's good shit.

Interaction is good, but never let them control you.

Woah nigger, remember the shit that happened with Dena and Shitty No. 9? if you hire a community manager, get to know them first. If they have any dyed hair or problem glasses, if it's a frumpy (fugly AND grumpy) woman or a nu-male looking man, ditch immediately.

Don't let your community manager bar you from your community completley, but keep it at arm's length.

Become a sptiful cunt but towards other shitty indies

Just, like, make game man.
Stay down to earth.
You don't have to listen to everything Holla Forums says, but you also don't have to throw a hissy fit.

Actually, I think the best thing you can do is to be as honest as possible, don't try to hide obvious things or flaws, people fucking hate this

Spot on. Just interact with the people who are positive or offer valid criticisms. Completely disregard those who throw insults at you for no reason or tell you to change something because it hurts their fee fees.
I remember when Doug Tennapel did his AMA here and said exactly this, he nurtures contact with the fans who care about him, not those who wrote him off. Because he's not getting those people back.

no joke i had better vidya discussions on /k/ mainly because the only faggots there are the rainbow six siege players as opposed to the variety of idiots we have to pick from on Holla Forums

probably go with the bizzaro route where in interviews and questions you get asked, you give odd answers

Don't be an asshole.
Don't be a faggot.
If you need an explanation on either you've already failed.

Release your engine as FOSS, but keep all the assets copyrighted. That'd get you points among the free software crowd, while still allow you to sell your game (especially if your whole server architecture is gonna be based on proprietary libs like Steamworks etc.). You could also keep the whole server code proprietary if you're paranoid.

Having the engine public would keep you on your toes the whole time. With your code public, you'd need to do your best to make it look (and work) as efficient as possible, as well as updated at a steady pace so it won't look abandoned. That should help to keep your ego in check. Eventually some people would contribute code to it, and you could recruit some of the top contributors as part of your core team.

Sounds radical? Perhaps it is, but hey, aren't we looking for radical ways to keep you from becoming an arsehole to your future audience?

If you need to ask then you're going to end up being one anyway. The fact that you made this attention whore thread just proves it.

Avoid gaming media like the fucking plague, and I mean all of it. Even nichegamer and so called "good ones".

why not just "e-maggot"?

Dina got her job because a) she fucked the right people on the dev team and b) because her rich as fuck Arab daddy gave investment shekels to Inajewne.

Try not being a huge piece of shit. Try not to grandstand. Realize that no one gives a fuck about your politics. The pussy aint worth it mayne.

You can't. If you want to earn money from this be the most progresive cunt you can be. It will provide you with scandal. Scandal will lead to press exposure easy kikestarter money and then, when you will be rich, you can do a grand reveal. It's better that you take all those hipster money, than literally who or scum artists like double shit. Those faggots got those money from goverment or their parents, so it's not like you are stealing or misleading.

Don't make the mistakes that YanDev made. He built up popularity and support on imageboards and then decided that we were too mean for him after getting his knob slobbered on by plebbit retards who thought that stuff like panties and other anime cliche shit was too "gross" in a game about a psychotic teenaged serial killer.

Almost forgot

I don't think any of us who would end up in such a position would be able to contain themselves from spamming smug anime girls pictures at them all day.

This is a former Starbound developer's account of how Tiyuri ran things.

That's boring. You can also laugh at them and belittle them. Just never take them seriously.

No wonder Starbound is a gigantic pile of shit. I even got my hopes up for it when it was being developed…

You seem like someone that's gone through the whole routine once already.

Have standards and don't be a pussy or a pushover

I've just observed enough of this shit from various sources for enough years. I've got no personal insight, just observations.

RELEASE DATE: 2019

OY VEY!

Heyyy, he also has a shaved head.

Well to be fair I have to give him credit for that part; too many games try to be a jack of all trades, and stretch themselves too far. He might be slow as fuck but he's, at the very least, sticking to the vision. That's autism for you, I guess.

Molly a cute though

True.

God damnit, how the fuck did my clipboard image get put in the fucking image field
What fucking command does that?

No one will know.

Generally it's CTRL+V, user.

This saves a few seconds.
Thanks.

Hire a mistress that will spank your ass raw each time you show signs of turning into an insufferable faggot.

I never understood this
the fuck do I care if you think the code for my game is abandoned, open sores fag?

But having a mistress makes you a faggot.

It's too late, you're already attention-whoring.

What about you pretend to be a cliqueist fag, worm your way into their Twitter circlejerk and bring us pearls of wisdom from Fish's real account?

You and your game sound like faggy shit

kys

Think before saying or doing anything.

Like your OP.
Stop coming here or else you will have no soul left.

It's a pride thing. Fuck up too many times, then just simply doing "okay" will give you a big head. Not to mention it's pretty easy to be discouraged if you're not under the expectation that people are gonna treat your game like hot shit. If you make a game and people don't treat it like hot shit like you were expecting, I'd imagine that'd be pretty disappointing, too.

why would you want to not be arrogant? if youre making good video games you are better. just finish it first.

Can you explain?

Don't talk to fans, don't listen to fans. Don't indulge in praise. You can listen to criticism though.

You know the devs who aren't faggots? They are usually the ones who never say anything and barely interact with anyone. If you don't want to be a faggot, just know when to shut the fuck up and let the content do the talking.

There's your mistake. Your game is shit and you need to realize that it will never EVER come even close to average games that are well liked even when you become a seasoned dev with tons of experience. If you ever get a fanbase, they are retards like with Undertale.

Believe you can make a good, or even the best game, however if you ever make a great game it will be a fluke. That's the mindset you need going in to any art project.

Notch sold out for a billion fucking dollars. For making a "game" that was mostly the chans holding his hand. Can't say I blame him.

Don't be a greedy kike and if reddit or SJWs take a liking to your game purposefully piss them off

Feels good man.

nothing is funnier than how this cuck fell into obscurity

It's already too late.

Take a high resolution picture of your penis from ==EVERY ANGLE== make sure it's shaved bare.

Document and detail this ==ENTIRE PROCESS== Then, Model a vagina using the texture of your penis as structural reference for skintone, using the tip of your penis closeup for the female clitoris.

Place that model in the game.

Make the rest of the game release it to console and then PC, and then when the time comes for game analysis and file fuckery, a massive shitstorm will follow the discovery of this vagina will be legendary, and will earn you all the respect and attention for you to milk off. Then when the time of the Muhsoggyknee's Rape, and patriarchy comes, set up one of those reveal sites with the countdown, and it leads to the penis to Vagina Documentary, and then watch the shitstorm that follows.

The thing about this penis referenced vagina? It's that people will have ripped it and made use of it in SFM porn from that point forward, congratulations, you've just made millions of people cum tribute to the might of your cock.

Got a fart coming on? Get the recording gear and let er rip, place in the game and do the Pepe smug as you distribute your stealth farts across the globe.