What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Being a fucking Debian fork advertised as a game playing OS, for one. Both it and its companion Steam Machines were so halfassed that Steam Machines are made only to-ordet now and almost always come with a version of Windows.

Wow, it's been over a year since they came out.

The only salvageable thing about this fuckup was the controller.

Imagine having a PC that had the game selection of consoles.

no games

people had hoped it would bring the performance but it couldnt even bring the games

Gee, I wonder why.

Its free you retard

Sure, but they totally don't force the Steam Machine and Steam Gamepad down your throat.

Why would you want a shitty OS that has no benefit whatsoever over the standard fork of Debian?

Pros
Cons

Isnt it streamlined as shit?

From a normalfag's point of view, you're right. Maybe they need a few good exclusives to come preinstalled on it

Explain. Never had it, isn't steam made for games?

Not in the slightest, basically Debian with Steam preinstalled.

Nothing, because it is still under active development, and they are still selling Steam machines.

Also the Steam controller API is really nice to work with.

nobody asked for it
nobody wanted it
valve did it anyway
nobody bought it

People have been wanting the standardized, unified hardware platform that consoles have with the ability to upgrade like a PC, for literally longer than you've been alive.

They forgot to remind everyone that this fucking existed. I completely forgot they did this. I actually thought they scrapped the idea. It actually came out?

nogaems

what the fuck is a steamos lol

yeah that's what they want, but what they got was a shitty linux fork with no games
it might be worthwhile 5 years down the line if they can convince more third parties to invest time and funds into developing games and software for it but as it stands its worthless hot garbage that has all the flaws of linux with none of the upsides

It's SteamOS, not Windows, meaning it's not compatible with a lot of games

It's still in beta

>"What went wrong?"

Well then…

this.

it isnt a standard fork of debian. it has a custom kernel and uses custom patches for x11

Reality A
Reality B

What could have possibly gone right?

Gee I wonder

You being from plebbit.

These estimates lack mainboard, psu and case costs. Why would you forego those?

It was leverage against Microsoft in case they meddled with Steam's ecosystem in Win10. They said "if you fuck with us, we'll fuck with you." Microsoft didn't touch Steam so the whole thing fizzled out.
If Valve was serious about GNU/Linux development, they would drop serious time and effort (or money) into improving drivers and WINE. Instead we get a Debian fork with a flashy GUI for retards.

There's being a retarded valvedrone, then there's this faggot

And people had it for literally longer than you've been alive you dumb cunt

Nothing really, it's just that nobody asked for a linux distro worse than windows that had no gaems. At least they contributed with a few good kernel patches and some random projects that make part of the gnu/linux ecosystem + advertising and funding

It's Steam boiled down into a console interface. It's like taking away someone's ship and living them the dinghy.

Valve has done literally nothing successful on their own for a decade now.
What makes you think this shitty OS would break the streak?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You need to realise that Valve is exclusively Idea guys now.

Sure they have skills and talents and can actually make stuff, unlike traditional idea guys, but the way they work is exactly the same.

"Wouldn't it be cool if…" and then a year later they have a half-assed prototype which they push out onto Steam and abandon never to interact with again.

Everything they do is treated this way. You're lucky if they throw out a patch to adress major issues 6 months down the line. Everything they try is got to the point where it's "good enough" and just about working, and then they move onto some new thing.

Remember when Notch got the big Microsoft payout and started talking shit about his next game, where you can do anything using a full programming language. Pie in the sky ideas thrown out like it's going to be a real thing. And then it got hard, he realised he's a millionaire, and stopped working on it.

Valve is a company of people who never have to finish anything. Of course everything they make is half-assed and barely working.

that's not what he said at all. Yeah of course it would still be much cheaper to buy parts, but if you want to compare the actual prices, what is the fucking point if you miss 3 essential components on one side. Around 200-250$ should be added to this cost. Valve is still a bunch of kikes, but at least don't be retarded yourself

check my dubs

the controller with drm?

What?

doesn't the controller prevents you from using it outside steam?

Officially
But officially means shit on a PC

What dubs, cuck?

Speak for yourself.
Its a PC, you retard.

Also #unified is either in contradiction with (((ability to upgrade))) or you'll be upgrading that shit every time gaben wants more money(weekly) otherwise even indie crap will show you "YOUR SHIT IS OUTDATED LOL" msg box when you want to play a game.

The controller is absolute dogshit
*I bought one*

They just rebranded some linux distro.

Does anyone remember which game it was from the DOS era that *actually* did come with its own OS? I am thinking it was an Origin (not EA Origin) game like maybe a Lord British game or Wing Commander? The first disk was the boot disk, etc.

the controller even made me fuck up the spoiler

Valve thought they could push games on anything related to linux.

It is just Debian with useless shit and Steam preinstalled. Fucking worthless.

Whats shit about it?

Similar problem Ouya had: NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY PC GAMES ON THE COUCH IN FRONT OF A TV.

It went as far back as Win 8. Valve wanted on the Windows advisory board that Microsoft has for all the major Pharmacuticals, Electronics Manufactuers, Milltary-Industrial etc, who give feedback on Windows in development to suit their business needs. Gabe felt Valve could have a say with it having a high installation rate on PC's across the globe. The Microsoft heads at the time told Valve to pound sand because they had no interest in letting Valve in. So Gabe goes on the attack and gives the official line that he wanted "to protect steam from a potential vendor lockout" (Which was BS because the minute MS tried it the EU would have fucked them againg) and make their own fallback so Microsoft doesn't screw their customers. So Valve goes and makes Steam OS and Steam Machines as their insurance and Valve gets good PR out of it because "Fuck Microsoft" was in full swing between 2012-2014.

Lo and behold, Xbone fuck up happens. VP of gaming, Don Matrick, gets fired and the entire company is re-organised under a new CEO along with a new corporate culture. New head VP of Windows Gaming and Head of Xbox is one of Gabe's friends from back when he worked at MS in the 90's and was still friends with to the day, Phil Spencer. Spencer invites him on advisory board on W10 from the very start. There's no more need to have Steam OS because Valve got what they wanted all along so it's being left to rot (Because if they kill it. /g/entoomen will flip) and Steamboxes were a catastrophic flop when they launched (Especially since Valve were so stupid as to not secure a Fallout 4 linux port for launch)

So Gabe got everything he wanted out of Microsoft and more in protecting his revenue (In fact, Valve senior execs were the first company shown Project Scorpio by MS before EA and Bethesda were) so he doesn't have to try any more regarding competing with Microsoft. They have the inside line on Windows 10 development and sit on the advisory board. Their position now means they have monthly meetings with the Xbox team (Who handle gaming for Windows as well as Xbox) and get to influence them and their development.

And that is literally what Gabe wanted in the end. To be on the inside of Windows development and make sure his store and revenue gets protected.

Wait… Steam Machines are out?

I thought they were still in development.

I think a 1/6 of the models that were supposed to come out were actually released.

Imagine using a xbox or ps3 controller, but instead of the right thumbstick, you have a vibrating trackpad

Then imagine using kb+m, but instead of the mouse, you have a vibrating trackpad

its 2016, nothing new ever catches on without mega marketing

The failure of SteamOS and PC turning into a super-expensive Xbox made me switch from PC to console (not Xbox of course).