Side-scrolling 3D platformers

What was the nail in the coffin for this genre?

Any other honorable mentions, aside from modern indie crap?

pandemonium

Ultimately, these games could have been 2D. The 3D graphics were impressive at the time, but as that wore off, I, at least, began to think that sprites can look better when real work is put into them. I mean I don't think I'm convinced that New Super Mario Bros looks better than Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island.

That said, Tomba and Tomba 2 are some of the best games ever made, and Pandemonium will always be special to me for being the first PS1 game I bought.

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

fuck I wish that game was good

me too, but its still ok, at least playable.

Basically, 2D platformers are doing fine. It's 3D platformers that don't exist anymore. The Crash Bandicoot remasters are as close as you're going to get. And no, Yooka Laylee is a collectathon. Banjo and Conker didn't actually do much platforming. The Ratchet & Clank remake removed levels that had more platforming and replaced them with levels that were just hallway shooters. Tearaway: Unfolded was great and made me feel like it was 1998 again (the heyday of 3D platformers), but didn't sell shit and we'll never see another one ever again.

I'm dissapointed, Holla Forums