Game Developer

Hey anons,

Lurkfag here. I've heard that the best way to get a real game/software development degree is to major in CompSci and minor in an electrical field. Is this true? Perhaps the best, gradual way to open up a path for games to be great again is to become developers ourselves, and take the industry.

I'd like to aspire to be like pic related

cuck
cuck

Just end your fucking life holy shit.

if you want to be a game dev you should start working on a game.

Just start, huh? Is that all it takes?

just like make game

If you want to go to school, pick an actually useful field in STEM.

CompSci isn't it, unless you like SJW pandering and website design. You can do better. Any idiot can pick up Unity and make a game in a weekend. You don't need to do the college meme for that.

Why are you coming to Holla Forums for advice? That's like taking financial advice from a hobo.

That's about theory behind stuff to do with programs. Getting a CompSci degree makes you better at programming but not necessarily at game design. At least you'll know that finding a member of a sorted array can be done in O(logn) instead of O(n), but that doesn't really apply to vidya.
If you want to learn how to make games grab Unity/Unreal 4 and follow tutorials. If you've never programmed before get into that as a hobby first. Get Python and follow a tutorial on that until you're comfortable with the idea of telling a computer what to do. Stop by Holla Forums and ask in their support sticky if you need help with anything.

Well, CompSci will give you the technical abilities to be able to make a game.
To be able to make a good game would require understanding game design, but not from a fucking university class or any of that shit as they'll basically teach you how to make walking sims. I think there's actually books written on this, but I have no idea how good they are.
A few I know of are
but again; I have no idea if these are good or not.

You've got 10/10 reading comprehension.

So you want to be dead?

I had already started on C, but should I forget that? I got varying opinions on both, and I wasn't all that sure–I just opted for C and began tutorials. I guess what I'm saying is, is Python better?

Thanks, user. I'll look them up and see what I can find out.

That joke doesn't really work as basically everybody's gonna die at some point.

Not necessary true, it can be learnt but there are people who are just born with it. Miyamoto, for example.

Yes. It's not as easy as it sounds.
Start small.

Miyamoto has kinda lost his touch. It's pretty common for people in the industry to, it seems.

what you need to make games
1. technical ability to make a game
2. actual investment and want to make the game.
3. ability to stay determined
the first one is what you have to pay for, the other two come naturally.
honestly, just get the compsci for a different job and do game design on the side until you make a game and get recognized by a senpai.

here's a better way
just download a fucking compiler

well, at least you're not majoring in game development, that's a start.
that's salty EE's who never used their degree, though. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary.
What you wait to aim to do is to get a job in industry writing software, plain old software, to get some rigor in your spine. the degree itself doesn't really do much. once you have experience working on projects as part of a team and you have some releases under your belt, then yeah, okay, go ahead and go write video games at that point if you want. personally, i'd rather get paid well to write software and then play and make games as a hobby.

Yes, and there's also people who are born extremely good at math. That doesn't mean you should dive straight into advanced calculus with no prior experience. It's not a good idea to bet on having a natural talent.
For every Miyamoto there's 100 Molyneuxs.

That's very basic user, you will also learn structures that are needed if you want to make games that perform properly when you have more than 1000 things on screen.
Overall it opens your mind so you don't end up like a pajeet that coypastes code from stack overflow, and makes you able to approach problems in multiple ways. Learning game design is useless if you don't have this.
As a bonus, Iwata studied CompSci. And unlike Game design, CompSci isn't useless everywhere else.

Once you know C properly you will be able to understand more complex languages better. Keep it up.

C is very low level. You aren't writing for specific hardware or integrated circuits, or electronics hobbies. Change to C++, which is a friendlier, generally more useful extension of the C specification.

Python is a scripting language and not really suited to complex games.

Once you know any language, you will know every other language better, because programming is all logic based.

more like meme based

That at the fact that pretty much all programming language are just overglorified GUIs for assembly.

compsci will teach you the basics of how a computer works, sometimes along with the flavor of the month software dev methodology
they'll also teach you to shit out some pajeet tier code to get your paper, but you can save yourself the debt and just buy a fucking book for that
there's a reason why "CS grad tier code" is a meme

When I was in Uni there was a Video Game Development Club.
It focused on throwing people into teams and having them turn a game's pitch into reality with a hard deadline.
Most people wiped because they didn't want to do work.
Those that stayed got jobs in the games industry.

They were mostly CS students, some art students, and a business student who I swear to god put 12 hours a day into game development.

I wiped, got a CS degree, and now have a comfy desk job.
One of my friends works at Obsidian and is online on Steam, if you're serious about having no life I can contact him.

That all highly depends on what country you live in and what school you go to.

Your stupid jokes don't even make sense

Also, OP. Do you intend to just be doing the back-end or front-end of game development? Because if you intend to also do the audio/art for your game then you'll have to do near double the effort, assuming you won't go for the pixelshit style that's common these days.

Computer Engineering will help you.

Make a game where you can wear a hat

It's easier to learn C and then Python, than backwards. There are a lot of things you see in Python that you take for granted that don't exist in other languages, like GC. Once you understand that most languages are just C on steroids you are golden. To me it was easier to understand RAII in C++ coming from C, because it was just a way to automate something I did manually.

That's only because most CS grads are shit in murrica, they appeared in response to a demand, quantity over quality.

I think I could actually shoot for that

It's common knowledge that games that you have a hat are superior to games where you do not.

Yeah, you need a CS degree to be able to read some math and apply it in your code.
Oh wait.

Requesting those PDFs from the Finnish user who took a class in Game Development, and user, in the Netherlands they scammed almost a lot of money from the government wasting time and money teaching about 3000 dumb kids who took a course into that to be game developers when there is no fucking guarantee they will have jobs by the time they graduate.

Anything less than a master's degree is useless. Prove me wrong.

My aunt has five masters. Most of her life was spent traveling the world, studying, and teaching. Some people just go to college because they need to met the requirements they want out of their job or because they have nothing better to do. It's a shame that only a very small few actually have a passion for learning. Too bad colleges now stifles free and creative thinking along with intellectual discussion. Too much brainwashing and pushing of propaganda for anyone to think freely.

You must be addicted to TF2 then.

Carmack had 25 years and millions of dollars to learn what you need to understand right fucking now and not in another 25 years. His first 3D game was just baby tier algebra for fucks sake, something that today would be labeled as complete basic, even I can make a Wolf3D clone in a week (Which was his THIRD iteration of the engine).
A good CS degree will be also useful for the times that come. It needs to be a very open one that touches a lot of bases and not one that just teaches you how to code, that's worthless and leaves you in pajeet hell.

good to know Holla Forums is still out of touch with the world

Stop with your broad generalizations for no reason.

JC started out as a low level code monkey.
If "they were paid to learn" is a problem for you, maybe it's time to lower your standards for graphics when you buy vidya games.

Waaaaatcha talking abooouuut?~~

from somebody who switched from interactive media game design to compsci. I completely agree with
If you put in a shit ton of hours into several different games as most of us here have, its a good thing.
If you've messed around with modding a good amount, its helpful too.

From what I've learned from experience, I've just gained game design skills from osmosis of playing a shit ton, learning compsci, and modding. If you cover those 3 I'd say your on a good route.

the worst thing you can do is copy games and be another leech, but I won't hold it against you if you had to do it.

I majored in compsci and it was pretty much the biggest waste of fucking money i could have done. it's all about name power. if you go to a popular college/uni thats all businesses care about.
i went to an overcharging diploma mill and now i load trucks for more money than the shitty IT jobs i was finding and getting rejected from

YO, NEET "gamedev" here. What you have to do is master everything. You can go to school if you want, if you're moderately intelligent you can learn more on your own. You have to get GOOD at multiple different things. Get good at art, programming, and writing. Learn how to write songs. You have to start deconstructing games. Video Games are just sets of rules. Just fucking absorb information. Anything you can get your hands on. If you watch game dev vids, don't take any of what they say for granted, they're almost all garbage. Game design school doesn't teach "game design" they teach "game feelings". It's why you see indie-shit walking simulators, they only know feelings, not actually how to make games.
Just stop being a fucking retard and posting stupid shit on image boards.