With the TBS and the RTS having slipped far from their former glory...

With the TBS and the RTS having slipped far from their former glory, why have turn-based strategy RPGs and the like ended up thriving?

Is it because they have the same mechanical depth whilst having a lower skill floor?

Is it because using characters instead of units is a lot more likeable?

Is it waifus and husbandos?

This genre is trash. Play RTS or go home.

Well, why not name a few that came out recently?

turn based strategy and RTS aren't even comparible. RTS slipped from grace because MOBAs got popular, not turn based games. And I wouldn't say turn-based strategy RPGs have been thriving, like what games? Fire Emblem and Xcom maybe? I can't really think of others that are "thriving"

Like it or not, Fire Emblem's doing well. But I admit, most of the SRPGs have been niche, even if they come out steadily enough. But isn't that kinda what we want? Nice, steadygoing momentum. Decent to good quality. At least a couple releases a year. How bad?

And if we look on the real-time side of things? Enough said without derailing the thread.

Yes, but can you actually name some?

Fine, here's two others that I'm playing and like. I know the devs for Stella Glow were going bankrupt anyway but fuck you it's good
Fuck, would you rather this just be a SRPG recommendation thread?

FINE, WE'LL HAVE AN SRPG RECOMMENDATION THREAD!

No, I'd rather have you leave and never come back.

Shadowrun Dragonfall is pretty fun, though I'm certain saying so will attract a bunch of Holla Forums shitters saying It's garbage because there's one job where you have to wipe out a bunch of neo-nazis with no option to abandon the mission and the payment to join up with them and set off a false flag chemical weapons hit on your own community.

you know full well who you're running against from the moment you accept the mission, there's no excuse for acting like you get tricked into doing it

You're making it sound like the genre hasn't been thriving to begin with - Fire Emblem and Super Robot Wars have been around for decades, with the latter especially being exceptionally successful. Beyond that, you've had works like Final Fantasy Tactics, Masoukishin, Makai Senki Disgaea… hell, even the big RTS game, The Legendary Ogre Battle, ended up turning primarily into turn-based strategy with Tactics Ogre.

Yep, and you get plenty of dialogue options to be like "your ideology isn't my problem, I just gotta get paid" or whatever but anything short of dropping the entire plot line to go off and genocide all orcs and trolls is unacceptable to some people.

what world do you live in?

but then you'd kill my waifu

So weebshits

Assuming you're going by the Redditfag definition of "anything remotely Japanese" that's going to be 90% of worthwhile video games as a whole anyway.

Play Mordheim.
Wait for DoW3 and watch it be shit
Mordheim.
Then get the fuck off this board you cock-gobbling mother fucking nigger. If you just want to argue like a goddamned fag then go back to Holla Forums Or to your containment site.

Invisible Inc. is pretty fun, as well as modded FFT I guess

'aite, but I guess I mean I feel SRPGs have managed to keep their tempo while the others haven't paced as well

Two worst games in the franchise in a row isn't "doing well."

You funny guy, you.

Try reading the thread before sperging out you faggot

Hello anons.

Since this is an SRPG thread can someone name some western ones?

Well there's Might and Magic, good series, not sure if it qualifies.

Actually, what DOES set apart a TRPG/SRPG/whatever name you prefer from a regular classic RPG? They all seem to involve tactics after all. Is it being turn-based rather than being round-based/RTWP/real-time?

Banner Saga sucks. I've never played a TBS with more shitty combat. Not only is it so fucking easy it's impossible to lose (and your "dead" guys just get up after a fight) but the whole system is retarded at the core with the way it passes the turn. For those who haven't played it, if there's a 6 vs 2 fight, the 2 will both move 3 times while the 6 will only move 1 time each, this is a game where outnumbering the enemy is bad and bringing units to low hp instead of killing them so they waste the turn for your opponent is the expected tactics.

I've had my eye on those games for a while. Thanks.

To me it's more on the focus of tactics and such. Although some do have more "Typical" elements like towns and such.

Do sRPG fans like Blackguards?

Jagged Alliance 2 (with the 1.13 mod) is the pinnacle of the genre, West or East. It's a game about hiring mercenaries (and making your own character) and toppling a banana republic run by a woman. The 1.13 mod adds a shitload of content and features. There's like five pages of AK variants alone in the game.

Fallout Tactics is the black sheep of the early Fallout games and no, Brotherhood of Steel never happened, buggy and unbalanced, but there are mods that fix that (Redux and Equilibrium). It's one of those games that did plenty of good but never got the recognition it deserved.

Battle Brothers is a new one, still in Early Access, but don't let that dissuade you. It's basically what Mount and Blade would be like if it was a tactical SRPG. You manage your own mercenary company in a low fantasy world. Great artstyle, frequent updates and nearing release as we speak.

Silent Storm, Sentinels and Hammer and Sickle all play the same, or close enough. It's basically a turn based tactical game with a physics engine. This allows you, for example, to crash a building down on enemies that are hiding in it if you can't be bothered to go and kill them. As for the setting, it's sci-fi WW2, you pick either Axis or Allies, get your troops and go on mission. Later on you get power armor but that completely fucks up the balance of the game.

Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich are great RTwP SRPGs where you lead a team of superheros (original ones that are clearly analogues of popular capes). Every one of them plays differently. Some can fly, some can hover, some have super strength, some magic, etc. Great games and the campy story only adds to the charm.

7.62 and Marauder are Jagged Alliance 2 in real time, and one of the few games that manage to get RTwP right. 7.62 needs to be modded because it's buggy as fuck, and the mods add some interesting features and quests too. Marauder is more limited and linear in scope, but it's a great hobo Slav simulator.

Cool stuff user. Thanks a lot.

Western ones has always interest me. But now I actually want to play them.

cont.

Shadow Watch is one of those games I never really see mentioned anywhere. It's somewhat similar to the new Klei game Invisible Inc. in that you have a team of set character (but in SW you have them all from the get go) that you level up and go on missions with. Another similarity is that the game is semi random. Beginning a new campaign will give you a different starting and followup locations, a different enemy faction (from a pool) you'll fight against and a number of different missions. The art style is also pretty reminiscent of Invisible Inc., what with the whole comic book vibe.

MechCommander 1 is another real time one that is pretty great. It's set in the Battletech universe and has you fighting against the Clans. Being that you don't control mechs directly it's more balanced than the sim games since your pilots won't be able to take potshots at legs anymore, and tanks and other vehicles can actually be a genuine threat to you, so assaulting head on is rarely advisable when you can jetpack into the rear of a base and take over their defense grid.

Original War is less SRPG and more RTS, but since every unit you have is a unique person with different stats and they level up as you have them use their skills I tend to count it in this genre. Another neat feature of the game is that it actually has choices and consequences like an RPG, and the base management is more involved than in most cases.

There's plenty of Western ones that never get the love they deserve.

Shining Force? Anyone?

Fallout Tactics can be good as long as you play it TB, the real time mode is a clusterfuck. It's a very flawed game no matter how you look at it (super buggy, tons of cut/bugged content, unclear cover mechanics, weird balance, lore rape before F3 made it cool) but it didn't deserve all the hate it got, it's an alright game in its own right. Plus later some people genuinely confused it with the awful Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel because some genius named it Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.

Shining force 2 is a great game.

That why I said to get the rebalance mod. It fixes a shitload of bugs, restores some cut content, smooths the progression of equipment, emphasizes racial differences among the recruits more, etc.

It really makes the game shine and worth playing through.

You never played it on Hard Mode, did you?
All those problems vanish if you actually ask the game to force you to be good at it.
And then there's BS2 which is more nuanced still.

In terms of quality it's taken a steep dip since RD. In terms of sales, though? Very healthy, and that's despite the Treehouse fuckups.