How horrid is Linux for gaming really. It can't be that bad, can it?. I don't really want to keep using windows...

How horrid is Linux for gaming really. It can't be that bad, can it?. I don't really want to keep using windows. With them being a shitty company that doesn't believe in privacy.
Tell me what I need to know about Linux. All I know thus far is their open source, and more secure.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/
archive.is/YDoXX
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeonsi-11-131&num=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why don't you just try it out yourself and quit asking for other people to make decisions for you, especially when you are making what is probably the 4th "is loonx good 4 vidya" thread in a week?

Well it was nice knowing you, thread.

Dual boot, nigga. Pop in Linux for one partition and use it for most stuff while using Windows for vidya.

/thread

Also this is Holla Forumss fault for not having a questions that don't deserve their own thread thread.

some games like psychonauts have no mouse acceleration compared to windows, there are very few actual exclusives

It's not that it's bad, it's just that developers just don't support it.
You'll get some Windows games working with WINE (Linux's compatibility layer for Windows applications), but not all will run perfectly, and the list will certainly be limited.
Aside from games it's a perfectly good OS, but not for your needs if games is what you want.
Unless you want to run Windows on a contained VM with PCI passthrough, but if you're a Linux beginner I doubt you'll want to go through that trouble.

Look, you're new to Linux. Look up Linux Mint, it's a Linux OS that's really friendly for beginners and is has a familiar Windows-like design so you can ease yourself into it.

Install your choice of Linux to bootable USB stick first, so you can just try it out for a couple of weeks with no risk to your existing Windoze gaymen box. If all goes well and you like it, add an extra hard disk, install Linux to that, and dual-boot your shit so you can always fall back to Windows whenever you want to play something your Linux can't run yet.

I've gotten used to messing with WINE prefixes to get games to work, and honestly most DX9 games WILL work correctly, if you take the time to work things out.

Also, Linux does get support for some games these days. Hell, the newest Deus Ex got ported, and it's actually the best version since it lacks Denuvo.

It's fucking shit because the devs don't do shit. Most ports of Windows to Linux is done via wrapping it in a OpenGL wrapper and call it day. It leads to shitty performance and just a waste of time.
Wait for Vulcan, dual-boot or do a GPU-Passthrough to a VM. Have fun faggot.

That's a good idea, I'm going to try that.

No idea about Nvidia's side but AMD's Linux drivers are in a weird place. There are 3 drivers, Catalyst, Radeon and AMDGPU. Catalyst is their old high-performance driver and it's phased out. AMDGPU is their new high-performance open source driver and supports GCN1.2 cards, with support for 1.1 and 1.0 coming later. If you're using an older card you'll have to use Radeon, which is open source but ok for performance. In other words if you have an RX 4-whatever you're fine, but if you're stuck with an R9 280x like me you just have to wait for their new driver or have below average performance.
As for general gaming it's compatible enough. Most old games run in WINE, and newer games usually come out with Linux versions. Personally the only game I miss is Space Engineers. Then again I'm also a consolefag, so I can get away with having less to play on PC
Just ignore the fags who go on about Linux distros being nooby or shit in comparison. Your OS is supposed to just werk so you can do whatever you use your PC for. Unless you really like jerking it to menus stick to Ubuntu/Mint

Linux is in general more customizable, lightweight and fast than Windows, and while it's taking huge steps forward, it still lacks in some areas. I use it on my Thinkpad for playing old games, some indies and Doom mods, and it works pretty good on that regard

As soon as I have enough time I'll try to get a pastebin for Linux threads. I'm tired of threads with OPs like "WHY DON'T YOU SWITH TO LINUX YOU MICROCUCKS? XD" (not this one). Linux is a good alternative to windows (specially Windows 8 and 10) depending on your needs.

The most basic advice I can give a begginer is to start with a noob friendly distribution, usually based on Ubuntu. I normally reccomend Linux Mint with Cinnamon, because it looks like Windows, has a good software selection for basic stuff, and has a lot of quality of life things. (I use Mint XFCE edition, shit's cash).

Other good noob friendly distros are:

Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, and SparkyLinux are a bit less friendly, but nice distributions to get into if you have the time.

Just start slowly, and then try some other stuff (like Gentoo, Arch, Devuan, Trisquel, Crunchbang, and many others) one you have an idea of how your workflow is and what can you do to accomodate your OS to it.

Most distributions can be booted as live CDs, so you can download the ISO, burn it to a DVD/USB and boot your computer from it, so you can try a distro without even installing it. You can then install them once you feel secure about it.

There are programs like unetbootin or USB universal installer that will do that easily.

Who the fuck cares about Psychonauts?

Its a pain the the ass, its almost impossible to play pirated stuff.

fresh meme

Have you checked out the /poltech/ thread they have on there? >>>/poltech/66 It's one of the better if a little outdated guides but it's fine enough if you want to switch.

Because you may actually have to learn what reading and typing is? Shit mate, just stick to ubuntu or mint if you can't deal with anything that isn't a coloured book equivalent to an user interface. They are nigger friendly for a reason.
Name one game you can run on linux that you can't pirate. Protip: you can't

Here's the ArchWiki guide to setting up PCI passthrough:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
Also, protip: The Arch repo's OVMF package has been broken for months, and the AUR's package has apparently been broken for over a month. You can get the OVMF files directly here:
kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/
You want the file that starts with "edk2.git-ovmf-x64" and ends with "noarch.rpm". ("noarch" means "no architecture" here; it works on Arch Linux.) The RPM file is an archive containing a few versions of OVMF; you want the two files labeled "pure".
That's if you're using Arch or Manjaro or whatever, anyway; Debian's OVMF package actually has both of the needed files instead of just one.

It's very good info, actually.
Thanks a lot!

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH=

Stop right there, guys. You shouldn't have Windows be touching any bit of your hardware. No partitions or anything. Don't fucking run games in WINE or any of that horse shit. You should do what suggested.

Vid related.

We've had this same discussion 500 times. Stop making this thread.

This is the only correct answer

We've had every discussion 500 times.

It's okay for emulators since you can afford more resources away from the operating system

Short answer:
Some stuff works, some stuff doesn't work.
Long answer:
Your options are a variety of emulators and their vast library of classic games, steam has a fairly large library of more modern titles that run on linux, and WINE(+playonlinux) for a lot of games that do not have native compatibility.
PCI passthrough is rapidly becoming a popular workaround to running incompatible games at ~98% native performance, but it'll be up to you if you want to spring for a pc build of hardware capable of pci passthrough.

I wouldn't bother, since I have no interest in recent games that aren't compatible after seeing so many people bitch about them being unoptimized and full of bugs.

A bit of advice: one of the downsides of wine is that even if your game is rated as performing GREAT in the app database, it still might not run because you have the wrong version of wine installed. The easy solution to this is playonlinux, a helper application for wine that lets you install versions of wine you need and specify what game needs which version.

No problem fam.

The problem I find with PlayOnLinux is that you have to create a new virtual disk for every vidya and reinstall every piece of software needed. Maybe I am being retarded which I probably am but it seems like a massive pain in the ass and don't forget if the game hasn't been listed you're shit out of luck.

This. A lot of games work fine in Linux too, expecially emulators, so I don't even use my Windows drive much.

Why would you want mouse acceleration? That's always the first thing I turn off if it's there.

You can reuse them.

he's saying that Psychonauts on Linux has no mouse acceleration, as compared to the Windows port

I've been using Linux exclusively for about three years now. My only regret is not switching sooner.

YMMV depending on how much of a retarded normalfag you are.

This.
I have yet to install linux on my laptop due to school and my crippling addiction to large videogames.

Use a newer distro with the latest graphics drivers, and if you can't set up PCI passthrough you can probably get all your non-Direct3D10/11 games working on Wine if you consult the AppDB. It's an objectively superior platform for anything that isn't making music or running Windows games, although it's still pretty good at those if you know what you're doing.

It's the absolute best for emulation.
Good games with smart developers are supported perfectly, but unfortunately those are kind of few and far between. I mostly use emulators (especially dolphin) and play Dwarf Fortress, so I'm right at home.

i use debian on nearly everything now, it's so much easier to work with than windows.
still waiting to get a vtx-d capable cpu so i can get rid of windows on my gaming computer though.

The problem is everything else, OP, not games. Working on Linux is very limited and if you need some sort of software you might not have anything for Linux.

what kind of software? the only things i've used that don't have a native linux equivalent are autocad (which doesn't run in wine) and adobe's pdf field editor (which runs fine in wine).

Ive had the biggest game library on linux and kept it going for years adding and tweaking (windows) games to it. That system really was the comfiest OS on earth I guarantee you.

Then at one point I just couldnt stand tweaking all the time and I wanted to actually enjoy my vidya to just run for once. Id come to the point where I wasnt even playing them anymore ffs.

I know I couldve just dual booted but to be honest I dont do anything else with my time but play vidya.

I had dual boot too and was always on the win partition playing anyway.

Now rebuilding my library on Windows, thinking of adding an ssd maybe with xp for older stuff since couldnt get operation flashpoint to run on 7.

Its weird using your pc like you dont have to fix this or that, I dont know but its weird.

Anyway linux is great for gaming depends what you wanna play, if you try alot of different vidya its not recommended but you if you say stick to oldies or your favourite titles and they run its a cool OS

Took the opportunity to make a raid array but Im still hurting because I fucked up the backups and lost all my pepes. Hoping theyre still in some disk dumps somewhere.

i really don't like dual booting, running things in a vm is great. how do you fuck up a raid array?

I put the backup hdd in thinking it was the empty one they were both the same model. Was too frustrated from waiting to find a way to fix the mbr at that point and just went on with it.

Way worse than you're even expecting. Even the games that should be a no brainer that run on toasters will have weird graphic artifacts. Native linux clients for games just won't work or have absolutely bizarre game breaking glitches, requiring you to use wine and play the windows version. However, you will also have many annoying glitches using wine if it works. So in every conceivable way it's a second class gaming experience.

Want to play LISA on my special snowflake OS, but I can't find it anywhere other than Steam. I don't like Steam.

I switched over a year ago. I dont regret it except for the one or two games I play that havent been ported (Warframe and Supreme commander come to mind)

RadeonSI my dude.

About to install OpenSUSE as a dual boot OS along with Windows 10. (Windows 10 was installed\reset first) Basically Windows 10 broke shit for the fourth time (I can't use red book audio emulation on WinCDEmu) and so I'm switching to Linux. I'm choosing OpenSUSE as my distro since I heard it was good for beginners. I'm also going to install it as part of a dual boot set up with Windows 10 so I can hopefully play Forza Horizon 3 soon. What is a good idiot-proof guide to do dual booting with my setup in mind? I know how to follow instructions, and if it is relevant I think I'm still on BIOs, not on UEFI.

The opensuse installer has a really easy gui installer, where you can partition things. Resize your windows partition, and create a new XFS partition, set mountpoint as /, and go from there.

It isn't, get the latest development version of wine, and you should be find for non-linux stuff using DX9/10, and 11 is slowly getting support. As for older games, it's better than windows.

/thread

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Pretty much, rebooting is annoying and passthrough is just a reddit meme but until all games are on loonix we'll have to do it

In general it'll do everything a billion times better, save for anything graphics card related. Maybe this will change with vulkan

I don't understand why people get out of the retard-friendly version of something (in this case ubuntu). I mean there's a billion reasons for canonical and ubuntu being cancer but being noob friendly is a benefit to anyone and something any operating system should strive for, people should do the least possible work to get their pc working, to maintain it and to use it.

gaming on linux is a meme. pci passthrough is alright i guess
dual booting is kind of shit
tbh the best setup is a laptop with linux where you do all the shit that isnt gaming and strictly run only vidya on your gaymen pc.

dont go all in on linux. you may find you dont like it. i'm not in any Holla Forums profession but i use it for day-to-day shit on my laptop and its super comfy

Personally dual booting works just fine for me, i have set grub to go straight into loonix unless i hold shift in which case it brings up the menu and lets me pick an operating system, the operating systems i have available being my fedora install, a kubuntu livecd stored in my hard drive and windows itself

It is not as bad as people make it out to be. There are a lot of misconceptions of gaming on Linux, mostly due to the fact its only been a real contender for the past few years. Steam/Valve has helped the most I would say in terms of gaming on Linux. They have pushed it more aggressively than others and gave gamers a familiar platform that Windows user have.

The actual experience works fairly well. If you use a user-friendly distro (so pretty much anything Debian or Ubuntu based), then installing games, Steam, and drivers are typically a breeze. More advanced users may opt for another distro, but that doesn't mean the user-friendly ones are bad. There are I believe over 2,500 Linux games on Steam alone, not mentioning GOG or other sites. Most games are indie I would say, but there are AAA games on it and more and more developers are releasing day 1 (or later) Linux versions. Emulating also works well. There are some cases (like on Windows) where games don't work as intended, work poorly, or not at all. This is just a bad port, and is on the developer.

tl;dr

Dual-booting is the biggest meme of all. It is great in theory, but extremely inconvenient (in this case). What are you going to do once you are done gaming? Boot into Linux? What if you want to play more games maybe an hour later? The constant switching back and forth wastes time and is annoying.

Keep living in denial linux users, windows master race.

And trying to set up hours of WINE for a single game in Linux isn't? It takes less than five minutes to switch to another hard drive for me.

It usually takes 5 minutes.

this
was given a free laptop i run i3 on for schoolwork / shitposting, use a middle of the run windows pc for gaming and drawing (easier to draw at a PC than on a laptop imo)
its very nice. couldnt find myself liking any distros other than debian / arch and i3 is the only visual enviornment i could stomach tho (i hate how windows looks with obnoxious taskbars and stuff)

And what if I was a good goy who didn't buy hardware compatible with PCI passthrough?

You're gonna have to buy some nigger. It's widely supported if you brought anything from 2010 onwards.

What hardware?

windows sucks though, linux is just that bit snappier, it feels very polished especially with the right desktop environment, unfortunately no gaimz, although windows sucks if you want to run any scripts like autodl-irssi

Intel-Aviv 4670K, I think. Bought it about 3 years ago.

I had the same CPU, but got an HP Z620 a few months ago for $60. Just use wine then.

They can't possibly be this jewish

Don't try to do a drift race with a formula 1 car. Likewise don't go linux if all you do is vidya.

VT-d is missing on all K-series CPUs.

It depends entirely on what kind of games you want to play. If it's anything prior to 2007 it should run fine in Wine 99% of the time with PlayOnLinux setting it up for you.

Past 2007 with more demanding games you're going to have to get more involved or do virtualization and use Windows. This solution is both future proof and provides 100% compatibility but isn't easy to set up yet.

Forget about ports, often it's less hassle to get the windows version off a torrent site and just double click on the exe than to install the port. This way you don't pollute your OS with proprietary software either, it's securely sandboxed.

It's not a GNU/Linux thread without this.

A few handy links

archive.is/YDoXX

Outdated but a good overview by someone who decided to jump into the deep end and get virtualization for gaming working a week after installing and using linux for the first time.

sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

This site will answer all your questions and guide you step by step on getting Ubuntu running properly.

Missing on 4670k and 4770k but not on 4690k and 4790k.

Probably something similar on the 6000 series though.

It's good to keep your workplace and play place separated for productivity purposes. Even fun things that one might not even classify as work, such as hobbies and such, benefit greatly from a lack of distractions.

Video games are a big distraction, why do you need them around during your day besides a 1-3hr period some nights?

Also with a relatively fast HDD, or even better an SSD, dual booting takes less than a minute (assuming you don't do a full shutdown for no reason). Linux doesn't take long to shutdown, and Windows without anything but vidya on it isn't going to take much time at all to boot up.

Just what I expected from a Rin-poster
TOHSAKA PLEASURES OLD MEN FOR MONEY SO SHE CAN DESTROY PRECIOUS GEMS PRACTICING MAGIC

Enjoy your botnet, faggot.

why would you want to dual boot into windows 10? if it's for games i'd say make the vidya partition win7.

it's missing on the early ones, but shouldn't be missing on any later ones.

One smug doesn't make one a Rin-poster.

threadly reminder that it's only Loonix threads where Holla Forums suddenly cares about wanting to play shitty AAA games on anything

Any suggestions on whats the best distro for gaming?

Just use Ubuntu, it is the one most developers target and has proper support. If you want to go FOSS monk tier, use Debian. Any other Debian based distro is irrelevant.

First rule of Holla Forums: Never be satisfied with anything.

I'll keep waiting for React

If you want you can use a Linux box as your main OS while keeping an offline Windows for video games.

Consider this. Of the games you play, how dedicated are you to them? Chances are you don't really need them, so forget about them and play ones that work natively with Linux instead.

Linux works great with games as long as your hardware is supported. This means using an Intel GPU, not AMD or Nvidia. You'll probably need a laptop, but this is the only way. Don't use the proprietary drivers. They're a joke.

This. I mainly play emulators, old games, and games that happen to work natively or on WINE, so switching wasn't hard.

Been using loonix for 2 years now and if i can confirm anything is that using anything but ubuntu is complete suffering in one way or another.

Get Dolphin, emulate good console shit until Windows is dead.

I just bought a new 7th gen i5 laptop and am worried if I will be able to keep W7 installed and working on it. Has anybody have issues with this? Maybe on desktop? Did you find all your drivers?

in general open source linux drivers work perfectly unless they're graphics card drivers or some wi-fi/bluetooth drivers, and yes you'll be able to keep w7 installed and working on it.
Just make sure that during the installation instead of wiping the hard drive you shrink your w7 partition and make one with your preferred linux file system and you install the bootloader to it's own partition instead of the hard drive itself since that tends to wipe windows' own bootloader and you need to run some recovery program to fix that

Dual Boot Master Race.

No need to use Linux for gaming. I just switch between Linux and Windows whenever I want to play games.

LOL Are you me?

QEMU with pci passthrough is the only answer
if you can't do that i guess you are stuck with grand strategy games and openmorrowind and shit (which is fine by me, thats all i play anyways)

I'm gaming on Linux.

1. All the good games come to linux anyway.

2. I use Wine and DosBox for older titles like Stalker and Master of Orion 2.

3. You can set up KVM via qemu and ovmf gpu passthrough if you want to play these shitty games like the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda. Don't judge me. I just HAVE to see for myself if the normal heterosexual relationship has become illegal to have in BioWare games.

If it's your first time, either try it on a usb stick or a separate secondary machine. Security is balanced with your practical convenience, so play around and pick which and how much bullshit you are willing to put up with in either spectrum. There is no rule or law that says you have to permanently switch to one side or another, though I personally would not choose w10 for online use.
An ubuntu based distro is usually easier for new folks to get into, XFCE for a desktop environment seems to be chosen a lot by new to intermediate people, I think for good reasons. It's not the prettiest DE out of the box but it is stable, and most people coming from windows will have little problem adjusting and customizing it.

Myself, I never liked dual booting on a single drive. If I'm going to dual boot, I might as well have separate machines, though I would do it as linux based for online, w10 for offline or offline games.
If you absolutely must play exclusive windows based games, then might as well just stick with windows but at least unplug that shit. If you absolutely need to play an always online windows based game, just unplug yourself.

Steam on Linux is ok, still needs more quality over quantity but it is improving at least.
Avoid becoming a full Stallman faggot who reeeeees at the mere mention of non free\libre software. Honestly OP, if you are fine with Steam on linux, a few linux native games, and some emulation, you're probably set for a while and don't even need to fuck around with WINE, or just keep a separate offline windows gayman pc alongside a linux box.

I have 2 HDDs; install Windows on one, and Linux on the other; GRUB will detect OS's from multiple drives.

I've been dual-booting windows and Xubuntu for a few years now and I like it.
There are plenty of games that work well on linux, old games can usually be played with Wine, and those that can't, well, that's what the Windows partition is for.
Personally I boot into my Windows partition pretty rarely, It's pretty much the planetside 2 partition for me.

Also, take free-as-in-freedom fags with a grain of salt, they are right in that windows is horse shit, but chances are, since you browse Holla Forums, you still want to play vidya, so keep the windows partition on there and use it to a minimum.
for anything other than vidya, Loonix will be either as good or better.

try installing a tiling window manager on windows natively
i'll wait
post screenshot, faggot

Between linux native vidya, engine rebuilds, emulators, and Wine, you'll get 99% of good games working just fine. The only things that don't work are shit-tier pleb games like kekout 4 and skyrim scam edition, which isn't an issue if you have taste.

Nigga some of us would prefer to play more and work less. "1-3h some nights" feels like "Ok, maybe I can finish one episode of doom before bed. Better keep track of the time too, I gotta work in the morning. If I just replay knee deep in the dead and not find any secrets maybe I can finish 2 episodes. Oh shit, I wasted 5 minutes thinking of managing time. Did I even make my lunch for tomorrow? Guess I should have some dinner leftovers. Did I mention I have to work in the morning?" It's stressful as fuck.

Talking out of experience too. Working full time fucking sucked for this reason alone. The benefits made it worth it though.

Respectful sage because fucking blog-post.

What about modding? Are Windows mods for games compatible with the Linux version?

Keyword there is 'on a single drive'. If I were to dual boot on a single machine, yeah I'd go with 2 actual different drives as well.

My problem with WINE is that in my experience performance and optimization are shit. Most games I've tried worked flawlessly, but at half the frame rate or worse. Tried messing with settings, drivers and different versions without success. Don't even bother trying to run games newer than 2009 / ogl4 / dx11 on WINE unless you got a pretty powerful rig

Are you stupid man ?
When you know you are gaming, you fire up Windows, when you are doing anything else fire up Linux.
Personally, I just have laptop running Linux and do all my coding/other computer related work on it.

Truth, but I think as time goes on Linux is going to get more and more love from developers. There is already a sizeable number of games that are Linux compatible.

Why do people hype Linux up so much?

Why do people defend Windows so much?

Because BSD has nogaems
Besides, the worst that can happen with Linux becoming popular is that Microsoft actually starts putting effort into Windows because of the competition.

The /lv newbie guide has some good info

This applies to every OS and platform though.

The memes are evolving.

Thanks user.
I wish /lv/ grows

Oh no MS is shit I'm just asking why do people hype linux up like its the second coming

There is no competition

as for Linux on a regular basis, it goes on an 'it works'-tier if one sticks to Ubuntu/Mint or OpenSUSE, with the corollary that one will need to dive into the distro's documentation/forums/wiki pages if any problems arise

Don't try to beat a formula 1 car in a drag race in a hatchback, and don't try to go grocery shopping in a formula 1 car. Use different tools for the tasks they're suited to.

same here, I don't want to keep using windows,but I play games alot to keep switching Os's is annoying, and emulators like wine ,VM's …etc has shitty performance or does not work with most games.

dude I have dual boot but I litterally use windows only for games, and linux for everything else, but I play games randomly and too often to keep switching operating systems.

Also Gaming distro (or gaming compatible distro) , when?

I use debian and most new games don't work,and crashes, like witcher 3, skyrim,darkest dungeon,dark souls, wow legion…etc

so I switch everytime I need to play games, which is fuckin annoying.

It's just a meme, hardly anyone really uses it.

Then it sounds like you might benefit from separate machines, a secondary machine or laptop for loonix, while keeping windows for gaymen purposes. Do you have any stores nearby that sells business off lease refurbs? I nabbed some mid power toasters, Thinkcentres SFF desktops, functional but no OS for 50-150$ moose dollarydoos. 50$ for a pentium something or other dual core with 4 gigs RAM that I chucked a 128gig SSD into and turned into a linux streaming media PC, and an i5, 8gigs RAM that I am going to turn into a work\play linux box.
If you know you're using your windows box for gaymen only, and linux for everything else, a business grade refurb laptop is also a good candidate for a linux machine.
What loonix distro are you using now, what hardware and what games are you looking at? At the risk of generalizing iirc you reduce the chance of fuckery if you go with Nvidia based GPU right now since most of the time that seems to be the problem vs actual distro.

When did everything go so wrong

Er, to clarify I suggest going with Nvidia right now vs AMD card for linux, AMD support seems all over the place currently. Nvidia is not that yuugely better, but it seems to at least have a better chance of working with less headaches in my experience so far.

Didn't they only do it because they though Apple would sue them if it wasn't different enough?

Nice digits, but it's only a meme here because faggots that probably don't even use it are constantly trying to OSwar about it.

What kind of games do you play? I usually don't need my Windows drive much, but I don't play many recent games. You could use a laptop for shitposting without botnet and use your desktop for gaymen, maybe.

Depends. If you have a more recent AMD card that supports the AMDGPU kernel driver, and you run a rolling release distro that uses the latest opensource Mesa user-space drivers, than AMD is finally starting to pull ahead.

A lot of games have just become playable just in the last month or two, opensource Vulkan support, and frame rates have increased dramatically. It's even starting to out-perform the AMD's proprietary driver.

But if you use a Debian or Ubuntu based distro, it's probably not going to be until late 2017 or early 2018 that the it gets driver updates.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeonsi-11-131&num=1

I don't use it but from what I looked up a while ago, almost anything that works on other OS's works on wine if you put up the effort to make it.

it isn't bad because of linux, it is bad because many devs use directx which only runs on windows

i would just dual boot if I were you and use the windows partition for games that do not run on linux

Manjaro would be one of those distros?

Myself I prefer LTS over rolling distro, sheeeit I'm still sticking with a 14.04 ubuntu derivative distro, until 16.04 fixes it's fuckery. You've laid out the conundrum though. AMD might actually be good with all the qualifiers you've mentioned, and Vulkan might actually be real and it's spectacular. But as you wrote yourself:
And at least looking at something like Steam, most of the req says ubuntu or debian based for a distro. Granted I haven't played around much with rolling release compared to LTS, what's your experience so far with rolling release in terms stability with gaymen and steam?

Yes, Manjaro is rolling release and it has the latest and greatest, just not immediately. It's usually about a month behind bleeding edge.

I still don't understand who the target audience for manjaro is.

People who want the bleeding edge, but without the bleeding part.

you can just use the oibaf PPA or whatever it's called on *buntu for the latest mesa versions

Fucking kill me.

Manjaro's design philosophy strikes me as "Arch, with a pretty front-end so as not to scare anyone off." Like a plain-looking Honda Civic with a button inside that lets you engage all the ricer exhaust and switch to 91 octane.

takes 10 minutes for each installation

that can work too

kill yourself windrone shill

That's the fucking point nigger. I mean if all I was going to do was browse the net or some shit then sure I'd just stay on windows after a gaming session (i am right now actually) but by default my system boots to linux and I do everything else there and even some vidya. I only reboot to windows for games that don't work well or at all on linux. Windows is the inconvenience for me. I love when stuff runs natively and well on linux because they I can enjoy the based window management, shortcuts and all the other autist shit that it has. Comfy AF

Windows: No-nonsense windows-only vidya
Linux: Everything else

I sold my nvidia card and got an older amd for cheap. It was a downgrade, but it's not like there's any gpu-intensive game worth playing. So yeah, fuck nvidia. Never again.

I've heard that AMD's GLSL compiler and OpenGL/Vulkan drivers are stricter than Nvidia's, so sometimes I get the impression that it's probably best to develop on AMD hardware and occasionally test on Nvidia GPUs to make sure they both perform acceptably.
None of you faggots have any experience with this, right? I probably won't need this for a simple Irrlicht project but it's good to know whether this is true or not.

Most people's computers boot up in 15 seconds, not a minute and 30 like you or mine.

This post created too much butthurt that I feel the heat right on my dick far from here lol

Go to jewgle and search for "Ubuntu". Download it, burn it into a USB. Then Run ubuntu from a USB for a bit and see how it goes.

If you cant do the above then stay the fuck away from linux.

Next up you'll install some random distro, be presented with an interface, angrily shout "OMGEEZ MUH BLOATT1!1!!1!1ONEONEone!1", uninstall it and X then jack off to your 28MBs of ram usage on a 8GB of ram system while manually downloading GIT versions of your installed packages so you can compile them with -O9

Well someone here didn't ignore leg day, check out them quads.
Chances are some people just have to go through that phase. I've gone through that and got the t-shirt and now it's been a year and half and counting, happily staying with a nigbuntu derivative + XFCE.

Thanks a lot, man.
I'm using Linux Mint XFCE on my Thinkpad and I've been wanting to try Manjaro LXQt/XFCE/Deepin.

People like me who want a rolling release distro without compiling it from source

I've been using linux mint for year and a half and sometimes I hate it, hate having to dualboot into windows, hate having no games, it being a pain in the ass to run them. I really like the idea behind Linux, freedom, but absolutley hate the execution. OS' shouldn't be a chore to use, just installing a package is a pain in the ass because almost everytime I tried I was denied access even though I'm admin. But I'll be honest when I say I haven't really learned the ins and outs, because I don't care to, all I want is to browse the internet. I don't know how to update packages, update the OS aside from a little update notification from time to time. It comes down to me being incredibly lazy to. What I want to do is get a distro without systemd, that has cinammon, learn how to encrypt my hard drive and network connection, basically try to leave as little fingerprint on the internet and be secure even though it's absolutely impossible to avoid the botnet.

Real excited for ReactOS, it's an open source windows clone.

Shit, what a pain to read, should have lessened the word count instead of ramble on.

Kiss AAAs good bye

Niche games work fine, if you dont play vidya much Linux is a much more enjoyable desktop experience. Most Blizzard games work with WINE, Morrowind has native linux support with OpenMW, it works fine for me on a laptop, just dont plan on playing BF1 or new releases like that on it.

don't be

development for it is even slower than Linux/*BSD/everything else

Is there any current AAAs that are not complete garbage though. So far I can only think of 2-3 titles this year and next that caught my interest,and they're not AAA. Not indie garbage either but smaller to midsize studio titles.

The last AAA title that I wished was available on linux was Fallout NV, and basically older AAAs.

-that I wished was available on linux either as a well done port or on linux steam that is

Oh god this meme again, I fucking bought into this shit and now my PC can barely play any games.
Fuck you neo-neo-Holla Forums and commie Holla Forums shills.

Half-Life 1 and 2 run fairly well on Ubuntu 14.04 MATE, with some annoying input bugs, but other than that I don't know other games that run well. Native Linux games not included.

I have been using 64-bit Ubuntu on the 17" laptop sitting to my left for email, banking, and streaming video and podcasts for about 7 years, with very few problems.

The best thing you can do is simply understand the strengths and weaknesses of Linux, and you will be fine.

tl;dr dont bother gaming on linux

Are you not running a dual boot. Or did you actually fuck up a dual boot.

Because if you fucked up a dual boot please leave

Then go with separate machines. Use win7 for your gaymen and gaymen only, make sure to throughly unfuck it first though, because w10 is trying it's hardest to fuck 7 and even 8.1
Then buy or scrounge up a toaster or look for a linux compatible refurb business grade laptop (chances are good that a thinkpad, a latitude, or an elitebook will work but doublecheck yourself), install your choice of gahnoo loonix on it for shitposting and non gaymen interneting purposes.

Most of the stuff on linux steam seems to runs ok, with some exception. Peripheral wise my logitech gamepad seems to work on some games, not 100% on others, not recognized at all with some. If I knew then what I know know, I would've bought an xbox360 controller instead. Then again I was still using mostly windows when I bought that logitech.

I'm getting quite annoyed with the fact that most SteamOS + Linux versions of games are just shit and most of the time they don't even launch. Well, actually, I'm not really annoyed by that, since I am a programmer and I know how hard it is to get stuff running on machines with different configurations (specially one as non-standard as mine) with no problems whatsoever; I am actually annoyed by the fact that they ignore all their fucking bug reports in their bug report forums.

Worst offender is probably Hero Siege. OS X and GNU/Linux versions of that game are outdated by one version (which apparently just fixed "a crucial bug" and that apparently warrants upping the version from 1.7.1.9 to 1.7.2.0, so they probably don't know how versioning works) since months ago, and are unable to play with Windows users. Not only that, but it's not a "you can't connect to this host because it's using a different version", but a straight up crash on the host's side on level up of the outdated client. That's right, you can use this bug to grief and nobody is doing anything to fix it. I would be refunding this shit in no time if it weren't because I bought it from G2A.

Maximus Baitus

How can freedom and master raceness be found in a Mongolian plus Jew OS made by Linghis Torvaldüjin and some fat jewish guy who looks like he eats entire cakes by himself without sharing?

Be careful. I fell for the AMDGPU + Mesa meme and I am getting constant X.org crashes whenever I play any 3D game. Only way to solve those crashes is to REISUB, so basically, all 3D games are unplayable to different degrees.

Longest thread on FreeDesktop's bugzilla is about XCOM (since the game's devs were willing to help) and it dates 2014, but it hasn't been solved yet and the last messages are from early September. There are reports for TF2 and Dota 2 that didn't get much attention since the bug is hard to reproduce consistently, but it also affects pretty much every 3D game. In my case, got crashes on Torchlight II, Dota 2, Payday 2 and Skullgirls (which, by the way, crashes so hard fucking around the menu for 15 seconds is enough to kill your computer). The only games that didn't crash on me were HL2: Lost Coast, which I used to benchmark my computer (performance is pretty fucking good, btw), but probably because the game is so short it doesn't have enough time to trigger the crash, and Don't Starve Together, probably since 3D is so minimal I would have to play for many hours near a map border to trigger it.

Apparently, amdgpu-pro solves this, but my distro isn't shipping it and I have heard it somehow manages to be behind the open Vulkan implementation.

Hero Siege has a couple of red flags. I was at least curious about it despite it's faux retro artstyle (redflag1). Then I got to the sys req blurb, seems high for what it is (flag2). Shame since I like a good random generated ARPGs. But jesus fuck is it really that hard to make a single player, and LAN capable, slightly updated Diablo1&2 clone without the bullshit and cancer. I already have Torchlight 2 and I still enjoy it, but the pickings seems slim.

Tell me if I'm wrong here, say if I were to draft a simple hardware list for complete linux beginners, aiming for stability and as few headaches as possible. Would it be accurate in current year to say the following checklist is the safest route to do.
-intel CPU or intel cpu and gpu for laptop
-nvidia GPU
-*buntu for OS
-intel\centrino wifi for laptop
-Xbox360 wired PC gamepad

Hero Siege is indieshit garbage written by incompetent coders. The reviews are full of warnings about bugs including one exquisite tale about a guy who reported being unable to log in online, which was immediately flagged as priority, then promptly neglected for two months when they threw it out and said "eh we patched and released DLC, it probably works now" (it didn't). This probably happened because they don't have the first fucking clue about how to code or fix these bugs so they twiddled their fucking thumbs and hoped the problem would fix itself somehow. When you have this kind of black magic wishful thinking bugfixing, you are staffed by incompetent retards. What impressed me the most about Hero Siege are the strong warnings that you cannot run the game on integrated graphics. What fucking moron makes you need a fucking graphics card and high RAM just to run a fucking 2D sprite-based pixelart game. This is the kinda shit you could have running smoothly on DOS 20 years ago and yet they fuck it up that hard with today's hardware. These guys cannot fucking code. They probably used engine + framework + copypaste code until it got functional and called it a day.

Hero Siege is the kinda game which can crash on you even if you run everything right because the game itself is probably doing something wrong.

Way to scare newcomers! Ubuntu's interface is kind of a mess. Sure, you can install a different environment, but that bad first impression does harm. That's why I recommend Mint instead.

Ubuntu is also spyware. Might as well get Windows 10 tbh

You mean Unity? Yeah that is cancer. Going with a buntu based distro that uses a different desktop environment though is fine. Not talking about the official ubuntu family either, but distros that uses an ubuntu base but removed far enough from canonical, at least at the time of this writing those seems to still be ok.
I tried mint, with cinnamon and XFCE, and after a while I switched to something else. Though I wound up preferring xfce for most cases. Mint is popular and touted as user friendly, but IMO that impression is skin deep. There are certain things that I like about the Cinnamon DE, and Mint's goal of popularizing linux for desktop is worthy.

But some of their approach seems slapdash once the user start learning more about linux. Little things starts to stick out more like why isn't the firewall turned on by default. That may have been changed ever since one of their ISO copy got hax0red, but that incident raises another issue with security handling. I was not a fan of Mint way too lax attitude towards security, I get that Mint never claimed it was a hardened security focus distro. But to me some of the defenders were too uncomfortably close to approaching macfaggotry tier of 'lel linux is always super secure guise because it's linux'.

Disregard that, I suck cocks. I had an epiphany and tried to install a compositor, since my WM doesn't come with one (ricer problems). Ran Compton, and now it seems stable.

I seriously don't know what the fuck happened, and I don't even know why did I try doing this, but it works.

Doesn't really matter that much if it's AMD or Intel as long as it's the right AMD or Intel. I use a FX-8350 and I get a good performance on pretty much every game I have played (except for those old crashes, but whatever, you shouldn't encounter them in a normal configuration). In fact, the FX-8350 has a bad rep as a gaming CPU because of some 800x600 Skyrim bechmarks, a game so incompetently coded it included legacy x87 code that modern AMD CPU had deprecated and dropped support for. Basically, choose between AMD or Intel depending on whether you need an iGPU or not, or you mind Intel's Management Engine botnet or not.
Can't recommend Nvidia. Old as fuck cards may have a good nouveau support, but I wouldn't wish the system wrecking or sysadmin acrobatics newer cards and proprietary drivers come with. Mind you this was with Debian, but I had proprietary drivers break my system in one occasion, and left it half functioning another one with nouveau in a newer card. I don't know how nice Ubuntu can be to the user regarding GPU config, but if you aim for lower end gaming, I would recommend Intel's iGPU, and maybe AMDGPU AMD GPU, but I have to test their recently regained stability yet.
Yeah, Ubuntu may be a good option. Let them choose between different *buntu flavours, tho, since Unity may not be for everyone. Mint is also a good option if you don't mind that their servers don't seem very secure
With these two distros, just use whatever. As long as it's not ultra latest gen, it's probably supported by proprietary drivers, which Ubuntu should provide with ease.
Works fine. Heard the Xbone works well now, as well, and even the Dualshocks if you can get Bluetooth working. The Steam Gamepad could also work if you are into that sort of thing.

You don't know true pain until you've compiled gentoo on a thinkpad with 256mb of ram and a pentium 3 processor.
I have a system with a pentium 2 that I have not yet attempted to compile gentoo on, because I might not have a lifespan long enough to see it finish compiling.

Is running linux with a windows VM and PCI passthrough for gaming a meme or does it actually work? (that is, do you get about the same performance as on a normal PC, assuming not potato?)

performance is reported as being 98% to that of running the game on just windows

cool shit! Is it a pain in the ass to get running? I tried steam and some random humble bundle games on my linux partition and nothing would even install thanks to some gfx driver fuckery (i've novidya)

I've not attempted to get it running, but there's more than enough guides spread about now that it should be simple for anyone.

Thanks for the info mang.
Yeah it seems like choosing 6 vs half a dozen. AMD looks really good for a low to mid power media pc setup. I've been using intel for a long while but some of their more recent bullshit gives me a serious pause.
I haven't dealt with the latest or higher powered gaymen GPU in a couple of years so I'm probably out of the loop somewhat. Currently running GT730 2g GDDR5 in one machine, re-installing an old ass GT9600 silent 512mb on another, a GT 210 1g gddr3 for a media pc (mostly just to get an HDMI out). So far no problem with proprietary driver using an *buntu 14.04 derivative, it was mostly XFCE being a cunt with screen tearing, solved by installing Compton. So far not much problem with most intel integrated graphics, same conditions as above though. I have mucked around some with Debian based distro, but can't say I've mucked around long enough with it to get any reasonable experience with it regarding different GPU configs.
Unity just seems fucked, then again I'm mostly dealing with situations that involves users who are moving away from windows, but need to keep what they learned from windows. Their main goal is not to learn another OS necessarily, just to segue away from windows to linux as smoothly as possible.
Just glancing quickly over the reviews (could be wrong by this time of writing) the steam gamepad may still need some more tweaks and fixes depending on certain games. Xbox360 controller right now seems to be more of a safer bet. I really want the Steam gamepad to reach 99.999% plug n play compatibility for linux boxes though.

Aight thanks again for the info.