Vidya communities

Have you ever experienced a vidya 'community' before?

Jumping on a game server, seeing they have a website/forum, signing up, playing every day, getting to know the regulars, etc. And then, in time, you get a part of the moderation team and help hotpocket the server, keeping things in check and banning tryhard hackers, and so on. Going through good and bad times with the server, watching as old players quit and new players start showing up.

It's a good feeling and there are only a few corners left that offer this. I guarantee that some of you fuckers have done it, too. Tell me your stories, Holla Forums.

Holla Forums

Communities as in: 5-10+ year running forums dedicated to some form of activity like vgm rips or specific genre discussion? They are truly the strangest corners.

Any and all. VGM rips, romhacking communities, server communites for games like Gmod and TF2 and CSS

There's interesting drama and stories to tell there.

Yup. Was pretty fun while it lasted

This idle server was a ton of fun while idling was still a thing.

LittleBigPlanet. I remember playing a shitton of that for years, and then ending up on LittleBigPlanetCentral. To this day it's the only website I've ever donated to.

my friend, I know that feel very well.

our bdo guild was probably my favorite gayming community ive been a part of but a lot of the members quit bdo and the few remaining went to a new guild
but we still shitpost in the dicksword
one day i hope we find a new game everyone wants to play together…

wolfenstein: et holds some good memories for me, ate up a good chunk of my high school years

Yes but it wasn't vidya, it was freeform role-playing and it was even more autistic than you think. No, seriously, no matter how autistic you believe it could have been it was more autistic than that. Were I not an user with lots of spoiler tags I wouldn't even dare post about it.

Dude trust me, I've done some pretty autistic shit that I would only ever talk about through anonymous sites like this. I'm talking creative-writing fanfiction shit, self-insert stories, autistic as you can fucking imagine.

I want to know more

My first community was a forum started up by a few LPers during the YouTube push for LPs, since it's one of the few ways to talk about Single player games I like. I also did the same thing when Livestream/Twitch started taking over by joining a startup stream site, pretend that I was a director for an indie game, and bouncing to write for a couple gaming articles. Never got to use my hotpockets, though. Also learned the hard way that the VA community are a bunch of loons that can't collaborate for shit.

I didn't have a good experience with them however, I get burned out by friends because of my big dumb mouth that let chaos ensue, as nearly all of them bit the dust. It's a miracle I've got friends to remind me that I haven't COMPLETELY fucked up. The only thing that can redeem my soul now is learning how to do everything myself, and making a comic/game to justify the years I've lived. Kinda hopeful since Trump made it, but the urge to die and forget I lived is still there.

Well, it was on chatzy.com which is the biggest cesspool of tumblrinas, trolls and retards you could possibly imagine. I worked myself to Admin status, I was a horrible human being just to stay on top the other horrible human beings, I was beloved by nearly everyone and I loved the chat. Then I had a falling out with the other Admin and me leaving literally scarred the place forever and it is dead now.

These memories are disgusting.

yes you stupid fuck
Holla Forums

Yeah I had one back when gmod was still good and/or alive. Community split over the owner being a massive faggot who never communicated and always thought they were right. Split again when it turned out the new owner was a banhammer spamming bitch who'd dox people to protect his tranny boyfriend's feelings.

not too long ago, back in 2012/3 on halfch's /vg/, there was a tekken tag 2 general. it was sort of cobbled together and people slowly started joining. we hung out in lobbies, talked shit in the threads and ranked up our team in game.
it was pretty great. most everyone was chill and down to earth. we had a few characters - crossdressing japanese/canadian, shit-talking aussie with horrible connection, out-and-out weaboo, dirty mexican, angry german and stinkin' brits. it was all good fun.
i miss those days, man…

After years of gaming with shitters I managed to find a group that combines the chill, the banter, and the skill into a single package.

Been there for years, international shitposting.

If it dies I will never find another like it. I know full well how rare such groups are.

Administrated in a TF2 community with several servers for around 1,5 years. Quitted some months ago when Valve sacrificed the last bit of fun for "muh competitive gameplay".
Although the big majority were complete normalfags, there were some very fun people around. Best part was that the "lesser" rules were only as hard enforced as the online admin saw fit. Resulting in, among other things, Swastikas and non-sexual lewds sprayed everywhere on the server I administered also an SJW admin got triggered by the nude animegirls everywhere. Shit was pretty fun.

Warframe, right?

Pistol Gambit and getting fucked by lag with door lasers, yup that's Warframe.

Warbros #1

Yes OP there was a time before you were born when people visited these things called 'forums'. This was in the early days before the chans and social media got popular.

People visited the chans too mind you, but things were different back then.

reddit/r/gaming

Yes, it's called "Holla Forums".

errytiem

No OP, I am not gay, if that's what you're asking.

Pretty much. DE ultimately shit the bed, but there are other games to be had.
I really wish DE hadn't shit the bed… going fast in that game was so fucking fun. RIP coptering I will never forget you.

>Played Sourcecraft because TF2 WITH POWERS HOLY SHIT

Kicker was, due to how the "coder" for Sourcecraft, Naris - was a hack and couldn't compile properly worth a damn, Sourcecraft was easily exploitable with instant leveling via suicides and class switches.

Needless to say, when hats and MannCo came out, they lost much money and players due to people spending money on hats and crates/keys instead of server donations. The servers tried one last bid by compiling into a trade server, but it was shit.

Ah..very interesting, to spend 200 hours in really badly run community server. They had a fucking awesome map rotation though. One of few servers that ran ctf_moonwalk PERIOD.

I did about 10 years ago in TF2 though I never ended up hotpocketing anything. I ended up getting fed up with how the community I was in was turning into a hugbox and started kicking up some shit that led to me not being very popular among the majority. Luckily there was a few other guys who had also thought the same and they moved on to another server and I followed them. I found myself a nice smallish group of maybe 20 or so people who were racist assholes, taking the piss out of others and themselves while being really fucking good at the game at the same time. It was sort of what you would imagine an ideal Holla Forums group being. I loved it there and also got really good at the game in the progress. The only people I still talk to on the internet are from that group in one way or another. We're all rapidly approaching the point where life takes over video games so I'm afraid it's not going to last very long anymore. Because of matchmaking in multiplayer games and the nature of internet communities, shit like Discord and "the frontpage of the internet" finding communities like that is near impossible. To the suprise of absolutely no one, you need community run servers to form communities and vice versa. Matchmaking killed that so now we're in an endless sea of casual acquaintance and the regular interaction is either gg or lol get fucked and move on to the next one. That's the main reason why no multiplayer games are good anymore.

Also in the first community I left one of the guys is the only legit tranny I know. I happened a few months after I left and he went the full mile as in changed name, took hormones and was talking about cutting his dick (don't know if he actually ended up doing it). I heard about it after the fact from one of the friends who left around the time as I did. There was also some other unique encounter with a guy that had a real fucking stereotypical "no one understand me and my soul" teen attitude.

What's the IP?

I remember joining a voice chat server back in 2010 that devolved into a circle jerk of trap cosplayers and fetishists, gun nuts, LOLfags, and more degeneracy.

The icing on the cake is when the tranny in the group shacked up with the server owner and started mooching and leeching off of him.

>used to be an active member of Halolz

Most vidya communities I've interacted with usually amount to a bunch of cunts acting like cunts to randoms, and then they are still passive aggressive cunts to others in their community who they've selectively decided aren't cool enough.

I don't hate vidya communities per se but more often than not they are full of retarded faggots. Even here only a few threads are decent, and that's on top of the anonymity provided. In a non-anonymous community it 99.99% of the time leads to nepotism, white knighting, and attention whores.

I played TF2 with a Holla Forums offshoot that died years ago. It was full of drama but I have fond memories, and I made friends I still talk to. I also played Warframe with Warbros and Planetside 2 with WWEW, if those count. I didn't keep up contact with anyone there but I had fun nonetheless.
Before that I was pretty much a drifter, I never stuck around a community or forum for very long. I'm glad I found a place somewhere, even if only temporarily.

I know this place won't last either, and as bad as the quality has gotten I still love posting with you fags. Never change.

For the short while, the SWGEmu group was fun as fuck.

Image related. It's a fascinating place of trannies and tranny-lovers, right-wing death squads, and nazi sympathizers who self-douche (hi Rex!). I guess they also talk about RPGs occasionally, but that's pretty niche activity.

Yep. Was one of the founding members of the Solamnic Knights in Warband. Nowadays its known as GK or Golden Kingdom and is the biggest Native clan out there.
I remember working with members on the Taleworlds forum to figure out the code to get custom maps running. Maps I had designed were the very first customs available for native Warband. I really miss GK sometimes, but it got too big and I became detached. I have something like 2k hours in Warband, mostly because of MP.

I used to play Blockland with some guys from GameFAQs, years and years ago. Good times. Aside from that, no.

I was apart of a competitive pokemon clan about 8/9 years ago. Eventually I've ended up being the admin on their forum. We've had clan wars and shit. It died quite fast though, then a year or so later they tried to revive it but failed. I wonder what those people are up to now.

my fucking nigger
holy shit was that game fun

I was introduced to the Dark Souls YouTube uploaders community. It didn't take long for me to realize that it was full of beta cucks who were let some girl be an administrator of most of the chat servers. I then tried to make myself a part of the Dark Souls 2 pvp twitch community. When was kicking Skorbrands ass in the arena, he BC'D on me and told his stream I was cheating… I quit fucking with the Dark souls communities at that point. They're all reddit users so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

I used to play Trouble In Terrorist Town on the Alters Gaming server. Had a community of people we all knew. A guy with a very theatrical voice called Milo, a swede called Sven, a guy who sounded like Solid Snake, a dude who always sounded like The Engineer from TF2. A bunch of other guys. I was like the resident Brit. Played there for ages and then one day it just sort of died, I still have some of them on my friendslist but I never talk to them. Some of them have been offline for hundreds of days.

Sad really, that you can go from super active closed community to just plain dead over the course of a few weeks. Every now and again I go on youtube and look up some of the videos of us playing together and reminisce a bit. It's mad gay, I know, but still.

I used to play this text based DBZ rpg when I was like 10. I copy and pasted another guys roleplay to get in and chose Piccolo as a character. People on there hated me because I never actually wrote anything and had a main character.

Wasn't a big community, but I used to be part of a TF2 community that ran server mods to remove hats and custom weapons. We got a bunch of dudes, played some micspam, even ran some custom maps at one point. Was a gud time.

You're right here, with us.

I was part of a TF2 community focused on casual fuckery, trading and MVM. I got into it to easily get weapons and MVM teammates who don't suck, and stayed for the casual chat about trade while practising rocket jumps. It's also great to fuck up tryhards who treat trade servers as 24/7 deathmatch.
The community itself was fractured after the admin scammed a bunch of regulars. Both parts continued on as even more quiet trade servers, and I quit TF2 a bit after and haven't looked back. I don't want to look at what became of the communities because I want my memories of them to stay pure.
I wish I could get back into being comfy with a group of random guys and casually playing MVM again, but I can't take it anymore. The banter is comfy and the teamwork is nice but I just want to play vidya alone nowadays.
Last time I checked keys were 7 ref, now apparently they're 24. The 'economy' crashed with no survivors long ago, it's halfway to the centre of the earth at this point

Believe me. My free-form RPing was worse than yours. Pic related.

Any real sense of community on image boards has been dead lately.

I was with Golden Machine Gun back when it was pretty much the Team Fortress 2 group but my main contributions were $50 in server funds (won a little contest with that as the prize and had no use for it) and being an argumentative shithead, primarily because most of the admins were fucking retarded and the group's owner/mapper was a 16-year-old who couldn't make a good decision as far as the servers go to save his life.

That fucker never did add Achievement Tunnels back to the legacy-map rotation.

Halo Custom Edition I've seen communities come and go. realworld is one of them, known them for years. Bunch of euros headed by a brit.

Solid guys all around and their servers used to always be full. But CE is more or less dead now and only servers populated are spic run ones that only run the stock HPC maps.

Speaking of TF2, I used to bum around the Free Frag Network's grabbag server, 3rd engy in that server. Was nice till they started bringing in new admins, and the thing with grabbag was it was FFN's shithole server. Being in there meant you were going to shit on people and be shat on and it extended to the admins.

Then one day new admins started coming in and killing that "wild west saloon" vibe the server had running for it, effectively banning or muting people that dare disrespect them. I got caught in that myself, and after that I just went back to server hopping, found out about a month or so later that FFN started falling off and killed off most of their servers including grabbag due to player count dropping,

p, you luigi cannoOp, You lugubg cannoy stop sucking cokck\t Ostop sucking homosex cock

I cant veliebe anyonme is this gay
fucing kilo yourse;f

huehuehuehuehue

Please tell me I'm not the only one that hovered the late 90s Zelda community

HTLOZ
TGL
ZeldaPower

Ahhh the good ol days

Actually thinking aobut it, PSO2's English community is cancer ridden. English speakers are essentially like BRs in PSO2, and it got to the point where most JP players really do go out of their way to avoid most English speaking blocks, Ship02 is basically a containment ship and the EN community there is a massive cluster fuck.

I was a top leader/moderator/server admin for a mildly large TF2 group about 3-4 years back. We originally all kinda gathered around one server to stomp the shit out of people, then we hosted our own for a bit, then played competitively for a bit, then kinda drifted our own ways. It was a great time.