Roguelike general

90% of the thread is going to be dungeon crawl stone soup and cataclysm dda edition

Whacha been playing lately and hows your runs going?

For me I've been playing some caves of qud but I seemingly suck shit at it. I wander to new places on the zoomed in map, but I get some really shitty rng sometimes like rifle turrets and the hibernating fuck bears. Had a character finish some joppa quests and I was about to head to the grit gate, but decided to go deeper into rust wells and I started finding tons of rage bears. Got fucked.

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/the-veins-of-the-earth
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for ToME

I've been playing Sil and sucking at it. My best run was mostly running like a headless chicken wearing a metric ton of steel and dropping down into chasms as a quick way of travel.

What about roguelites

Too vague for anything but definition related shitposting.

Been playing this a lot and I love it. Trying to get the achievement for beating it without drinking any juice, which is this game's health restoration potion.

I think I got suckered into Crypt of the Necrodancer.

It's fun, kinda.

What's the proper genre definition for the Isaac and Gungeon types anyways? Top down shooters? Dungeon Crawler Shooter?

Should be Twin Stick Shooter.

Jupiter Hell just launched a kikestarter

it looks ugly but if it plays like DoomRL I will totally buy it on release

It's not like DoomRL is very pretty either.

Is doomrl good? I see people always mention it in these threads, and I kinda want to see what's it about.my wild guess is doom in ascii?

Bump

I tried playing some SIL but for the life of me I can't force myself through it, it's so dry and lifeless and dull and boring I just can't. It also seems like it might be far easier to die/more difficult to survive than other RLs but that just might be me.

In other news, I have a question. Multiple times I've played ADOM, and multiple times I have stopped trying, because for whatever reason the hunger system in that game seems to be totally bonkers. Your character seems to go hungry very quickly and starve to death, even if you already have a few provisions. I've never had an issue with food in any other RL, is there something I'm missing here? I feel like there needs to be something I'm not understanding about how to approach that game, that there has to be something I'm doing wrong. It always comes down to food and I don't know why.

some people like it, some don't. I don't care for it myself, but it's definitely not a bad game or anything. It's worth playing a level or two to see how you like it and then making up your own mind. I think Holla Forums generally approves of it.

sage for doublepost

well, various things make you hungry faster, such as being burdened, or invisible. And every piece of artifact you've equipped makes you go hungry faster. Different food satiates different amount too. Large and iron rations are good for the early game, but you should phase out of them when you gain access to stomafilia herbs and cooked lizards, which are much lighter and increase your satiation much more. Not sure if that was helpful, I'm not that good myself in the game, I've only beaten it once and one other time came close but was raped by bunch of greater wyrms on dl 48. fuck you emperor lich

I see. I guess I'll check it out then, when I have time.

Is fucking shit. Don't even try it

bampan

oh, look it's not Binding of Isaac

The gameplay is completely different, ODP is a much slower and methodical game where one mistake can cost you the run easily and you need to plan ahead instead of rushing shit until you get the broken OP unlock that one-shots the whole game, where Isaac is crazier and faster but also a lot less punishing for mistakes and stupid decisions

Just beat Elona today, feels good.

I'm starting to get kind of bored of roguelikes at this point though. A lot of the charm they used to have for me is starting to wear away.

What's a roguelike that has interesting interactions outside of the usual basic stuff? Like besides DF adventure mode.

Caves of Qud is pretty shit.
It's only real fun is to create crazy mutation combinations at the start, but most physical traits don't change the gameplay from one build to another enough to keep interest. Some aren't even implemented at all (Hearing).
Mind builds are boring, since you just go full ego and hope to gain decent spells and run around hoping to not get one-shot killed.

For lulz, wings with the a good gun lets you kill traders for free and take literally everything.

What really disappointed me was the bad writing and characters. It's a rougelike, but it was advertised to have a cool world.

Did anyone like NeoScavenger?
I have it in a family library, but every time I tried to get into I was overwhelmed with all the systems and didn't have a clue what was going on.

I don't know if it's worth all the preliminary research to find out later it's shit.

Oh, I just saw Crypt of the Necrodancer is another thread, is that a good dungeon crawler?

Which Pokémon Super Dungeon should I start with

Demon is basically SMT in roguelike form, you negotiate with demons and mythological beings and turn them into allies, it's also a party based roguelike.

I kinda like it for the music and rhythm based gameplay, but making everything in the game rhythm based feels kinda weird to me for now.

Oh, that sounds interesting. The art is even pretty decent.

qt mythological beings?

Some

Depends what you mean by "interesting interactions". Cataclysm:DDA has some interesting interactions with the survival mechanics and very in-depth crafting system, especially for vehicles (nothing like a war RV). But if you mean interesting interactions like between characters, then not so much. AI characters were a little weird last time I played.

It's pretty cool. To make the beginning easier, take the traits "strong" and "trapping" when you start your character. Then you can kill the dogman and skin him to make a nice coat that'll keep you warm. There are two approaches - make a base at the cryo facility and gear up, or rush for the glow and scavenge on the way. Both are fun, so try em out.

I played it.
It's not Binding of Isaac, with the twist that the controls are worse, the hitboxes are all over the place and instead of getting to continue everytime you beat a box you're sent back to square one.

After trying doomrl for a bit, I think I like it. got to a pair of bruiser brothers(or whatever they were called) that killed me

A rocket launcher makes them easy mincemeat. You don't have to see them to kill them.

Explain why.

Learn to pick herbs properly (I know that druid quest is a PITA and healing is more important in the short run). Hoard herb seeds you find until you find a dungeon level with herbs growing and low background corruption, then make a new patch with stomafilia in some little room. Use a wand of door creation several times to close yourself there and lock all doors. Gather the number of herbs matching your autism level. When low on food, remember where to return for more.

How have I never heard of this before? This looks cool as fuck

Ah, and being in a room that is "filled with a very rich flavor" stops your hunger counter, so it's a good place for reading spellbooks.

well, I did defeat them now, on a second try. tho' I didn't find a rocket launcher. lot of rocket's I have found tho', so maybe I just missed the rocket launcher.

Go to special level after level 2, Hell's Arena, and win all fights. Assuming you don't play at the lowest difficulty.

Some of you guys are alright so here's a Legend of Grimrock 2 key. I bought the new humblebundle for a dollar to get TIS-100 and already have LoG2. I figure people who like roguelikes might appreciate a dungeon crawler so I decided to post it in this thread. Hopefully someone who actually wants to play it gets it.

THANKS A BUNCH user

Yeah, I more meant unique interactions with the game, been playing some MUDs on & off and like the intricate stuff you can do.

i didn't understood the ending, also, there were no further expansions and shit

so that's why. before I just did the first one after asked do you want to continue the challenge or not, on the second difficulty level

Yeah, you should probably do the whole thing every game if you can. Unless you're on Nightmare!, then it's almost fucking impossible. If you do, it changes the Chained Court level as well and you can get a unique item out of it.

I won't give a shit about these games until someone stops being lazy and converts an entirely of 3.5e D&D to a decent Roguelike that isn't tied to one fucking quest and is more akin to Elona.

If no one can do that, the the genre isn't worth talking about.

I just started playing crawl seriously and holy shit this game is amazing, I never thought it would be this good. I take back everything bad I ever said about the game.

This might be what you're looking for. moddb.com/mods/the-veins-of-the-earth

Either this or what it's based off, Incursion.

You need a 2x2 patch to prevent its withering from overpicking, according to rules of Conway's Game of Life.

I tried getting into it, but then I realized it's pretty much baby's first CataDDA and refunded it