DOS Vidya

What are some dos games I can run on a potato laptop? Already have pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-compatible_computer_games#IBM_PC
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
volafile.io/get/VCHoPhFPw66MF/System Shock Enahanded (GOG).7z
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?/v2=&sort=titleSorter
archive.org/details/msdos_Gateway_1992
archive.org/details/msdos_Gateway_2_-_Homeworld_1993
archive.org/details/msdos_Xenon_2_-_Megablast_1990
archive.org/details/msdos_Power_Dolls_1994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any of them, really.

Master of Orion 2

A Mind Forever Voyaging

Blood, OG Shadow Warrior, Master of Magic, M&M 4+5: World of Xeen…. There are hundreds of nice DOS games, you should give us the genres you that like first.

What this user said, I would personally recommend Quest for Glory series if you are a fan of RPGs.

DOOM
Duke3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Dune 2
Shadow President
Bad Mojo
Abuse

Might and Magic VI

Civilization 1
Ultima Underworld
Ultima 7 + part 2
Ultima 8
Doom, Doom2
Another World
Legend of Kyrandia series
Day of the Tentacle
Red Alert

Is that better than GUS?

GUS is amazing but not many games supported it. Roland is almost as good but had more games that supported it.

True GUS didn't get the support it deserved, and the Roland is great because it was literally the same chip as the keyboard / synth module.

Got a game recommendation for non-GUS support so I can test out Roland?

I haven't run into any compatibility issues yet.
And then there's always GOG releases for select titles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-compatible_computer_games#IBM_PC

You can't go wrong with the later Ultima games or Wing Commander. Sorcerian sounds orgasmic on MT-32.

what?

Then you didn't play nearly enough dos games.

Lands of Lore 1

While we're on the topic, is there any way to play system shock without dosbox? Any remastered version or something like what they did with doom? Im trying to play system shock and dark forces but dosbox isnt exactly smooth

archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

I'm pretty sure there are 2 remakes of System Shock

-Every Might and Magic game
-Eye of the Beholder
-Every Wizardry game
-Daggerfall

Oh yeah, VIII and IX are true gems.

Well considering IX doesn't even run on DOS means that you should have discounted that. 6, 7, the two Worlds of Ultima games, and the Underworld games I hope should fulfill your criteria for true gems, and they all have MT-32 support.

volafile.io/get/VCHoPhFPw66MF/System Shock Enahanded (GOG).7z

tyrian

and mechwarrior 2

I bought Sorcerian back in the day but never played more than an hour or so, I'm going to reinstall and try finishing it. The box was full of stuff IIRC, heavy book or something.

25.3 Gb worth of DOS games (3300+)
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:CBCFAF75AD0A6D59B9E54C96CE9132640919EDBA&dn=dos+games+collection+2015+part+1+3+0+to+j&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:FBD802E92D464CC5BEAAFC8A127B624450380BC4&dn=dos+games+collection+2015+part+2+3+k+to+p&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2C6DB1409ABFD4A6502D6ED4156C1B97A3452F45&dn=dos+games+collection+2015+part+3+3+q+to+z&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

Hey, post this in >>>/fs/ too!

Darklands
Betrayal at Krondor
Wizardry 6 and 7
Ultima 6 and 7(do NOT play 8)
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Might and Magic 3
Might and Magic 4 and 5(AKA World of Xeen)
Might and Magic Swords of Xeen
Albion
Sorcerian
Zeliard
Wing Commander 1, 2, and Privateer
Star Wars Tie Fighter
The Dig
Frederick Pohl's Gateway
Command and Conquer and Red Alert

I've heard that the Worlds of Ultima games and the Eye of the Beholder games are also really good, but I haven't played them yet.

I want to play Knights of Xentar because it looks anime-ish. Should I play Knights of Xentar as in is it any good and is there anime imagery/themes?

It's a very mediocre hentai JRPG. If that interests you, give it a shot.

Lords of the Realm. Management/strategy game, rule over England. Really rad real-time combat system, amazing art.

The Magic Candle, for an absurdly long and complex RPG. Lots of good design paradigms that have since been forgotten. There's a slightly more casual game with real-time combat from the same dev and setting called Keys to Maramon, that was pretty much my introduction to RPGs.

There are some amazing text-based adventures from Magnetic Scrolls. Guild of Thieves is the best, but The Pawn is probably the most accessible. Both have some top-tier pixel art - actual pixel art, not faggy modern indieshit.

Spirit of Excalibur is not very good objectively, but I had fun with it when I was 14 and in your exact same situation.

The original Railroad Tycoon is great fun. Good management.

Civilization 1. Nothing really needs to be said.

Sid Meier's Pirates. Get the Gold edition for 640x480 resolution and amazing pixel art. Tons of fun to be had with that game.

Dune 2. Codified what RTS meant before C&C stole all the thunder. Clunky, but fun, if you can muscle past the grind of the slow early levels.

Sid Meier's Covert Action. Actually one of my all-time favorites. Play a secret agent and uncover plots, fight commies and gooks, etc. Has a top-tier minigame where you hack phone systems, and another even better one where you kit yourself out and break into a building, then tactically your way through rooms to an objective, going sneaky or really loud and violent. Gas grenades are good shit.

If you have a joystick:
F-19 Stealth Fighter from Microprose is absolutely amazing for its time.

Sword of the Samurai was another Microprose gem. Sid Meiers was involved in development, you'll notice a lot of mechanics that are similar to his other early games, like Pirates. You can play without a joystick, but the swordfighting and top-down fighting parts become very hard. Spiritual predecessor to Pirates.

Not-necessarily-DOS games that don't need loads of resources:
Transport Tycoon Deluxe
SimCity titles, especially SimCity 2000.
Deus Ex
Lots of roguelikes. Moria was always my favorite, but there are others that are far more highly-recommended.

Any recommendation list for PC98 games?

Some are playable in the browser, if you manage to find them at archive.org.
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?/v2=&sort=titleSorter

Gateway and Gateway II are there, for example.
archive.org/details/msdos_Gateway_1992
archive.org/details/msdos_Gateway_2_-_Homeworld_1993

Xenon 2 is also nice, even if difficult.
archive.org/details/msdos_Xenon_2_-_Megablast_1990

Play Power Dolls too.
archive.org/details/msdos_Power_Dolls_1994

I forgot to add, you can get torrent links them from their page too. Power Dolls is 300MB, so torrenting is recommended.

Does anyone know where I can download a ROM for Ys2 for Dosbox?

No matter how cripplingly slow your laptop is, it is still fucking lightspeed compared to the DOS era of yore. Back then, 200 mhz was blazing fast and 16 MB of RAM was a godsend. Now DOSBox has slightly higher requirements, but suffice it to say that your computer blows those requirements out of the water even if it is a slow piece of shit. So unless your laptop is more than 20 years old, it can probably run all DOS games.

Blackthorne
Carmageddon
Civ 2
Descent
Duke Nukem 3D
Space Quest 4, 5, 6
Quake 1, 2
Syndicate
Warcraft 2
Ultima 7

Roland MT-32 made so many DOS games sound amazing.