A Weird Way to Sell Games on Steam

So Holla Forums, let's talk about Steam.

Well, remember how some people say around here that you should pirate a game and, if you like it, make a donation to the developer?
Well, just take look at this: store.steampowered.com/app/523680/

The game itself is about a female wrestler and you job is to guide her during training and school.
But what is interesting is how it's sold. The full game is free, but, you can buy a "dlc" that do not add nothing to the game, and only works as a donation.
You can chose to play for free or donate any amount to the developer.
Is this a better way of doing it?
Frankly, I think it's a better way, and it even nullify the necessity of refunds, since you can finish the game for free.
What are the chances that more developers get into this?
Do you think it would be possible to push more developers into this system?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/464780/
g.e-hentai.org/g/594890/190b0401cb/
archive.fo/C6D9P
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Half of the faggots here have installed steam the other half lies you can't listen to what the "general opinion" of Holla Forums is, because most of people here are baiting or trolling, check a game if you have fun with it, buy it, pirate it, shove it down your ass and stop trying to fit in mr. shill

Lets talk about my dubs.

You can't really shill a free game can be annoying about it though
The model does look interesting bu I'm not going to buy the game because I like the model game doesn't even look interesting

hmm not that bad

Please try to follow the correct reddiquette when downboating. Thank you.

Sometimes I pull on it so hard, I rip the skin.

Seems like an okay idea, OP. Sorry your thread got invaded by redditfags who think that sage is a downvote.

Can I get some moa dubs

You realize this is a slow ass board and it isn't that impressive, right?

it would be okay if it wasnt on steam and about a dyke SJW doing SJW dyke stuff

You dropped your downvote.

Slow board, slow dubs

That isn't the point of the thread, retard.

Check the 7s and fuck this thread

Commit sudoku famalam

sorry about that OP, but what do you mean by DLC as donations? isn't the DLC part of the game? How long is the base game without DLC? Does the DLC impact the base game in a big way?

refresh the thread

From the looks of it the DLC listed on the store page isn't actual DLC, it's just "give money to the dev". That's why they're tiered and there's a "Patron" tier.

I made that post before you deleted all the shitposting, dumbass.

oh so it's a patreon kind of system? Well in that case why not just use a system like Patreon or Paypal instead of the standard DLC system?

I know, I was just telling you to refresh the thread to get rid of the shitposting, baka.

It's a nice theory, but that's all it is. If this worked and was commercially viable, more companies would do it. But most pirates are full of shit when they say they'll pay for things they like. In absolute terms there's no reason to pay for something you get for free.

A more interesting discussion is the way paying up front encourages buyers to overlook flaws and justify their purchase, the ways that has shaped the game market, and how that dynamic could be remediated. But I have a feeling any potential solution would be overwhelmed by the influence of social media and/or Youtube bandwagoning.

It's called "pay to play".
Usually used by devs to sucker people in to paying for what really is a shitty experience.

Game looks SJW as fuck

The biggest problems I see with it are 1. People, like yourself, think that it's actual DLC for the game. 2. Valve takes, something like, 25% from the transactions on Steam.
Though things I do like is it makes allows free games to have cards and that will create a pretty big profit for the devs since even if their cards end up being 3 cents they'll still make 1 cent per transaction.

This won't catch on now though since this will more likely be the new model to catch on.
store.steampowered.com/app/464780/

By linking it to the actual game's store page you will, more likely, get people who are willing to donate opposed to people that need to go to an external site.

You have none, all you did was made stupid reddit tier greentext posts
Actual censorship of things that actually mattered, not people cleaning up garbage dumped in a completely valid thread. Nobody was endorsing the use of Steam, nobody was "shilling" a game, nobody was urging you to even donate. The point of the thread was to discuss the mechanic this game on Steam used to generate money for the developer. I'm sorry your autistic mind cannot comprehend that.

This isn't about Steam, you dumb shit, are you pretending to be retarded? We could be talking about some person putting a game with a DDL on some website with links to donate instead, how about that? Will that soothe your autism?

>store.steampowered.com/app/464780/

That's just shareware with steam as a retarded middleman. It's a business model that's almost as old as commercial software itself.

how's arizona

Explains why you're a giant shitposting faggot: you're a smartphone using normalfag

Fuck this board

Swim in raw sewage, faggot.

Why can't we just get a Wrestle Angels game on the wwe game engine?

If he lives in Jew York Shitty, he already is.

Why can't we just get good games?

Nice trips, but ROB is comfy and has been a staple of this board for years, get fucked rulecuck.

can you not respond to it?

No

Mark pls
If we let him act like a retard more retards will soon flock this board.
its already happened though

wew

The question is would people really donate enough to make making games worth it?
While it's a good system for low tier indie games, so the indie devs can get a stronger following and more attention for their future releases, bigger and more established game companies should sell their games, though for lower than the $60 pricetag
I'm alot more likely to pay $30 for a game, and maybe buy it for a friend if it's good, than pay a flat out $60 for something I don't know is even good.

Do we get nudes from the dev if we pay the full donation price ?

well alright then.

Well, seems like it's all better now.

Indeed, the DLC are just donations. The whole game is free. And they probably want to use Steam because it's easier to access for most of the public.

That's why I said this avoid the necessity of refunds. Since many indie games get sold by cents in the absurd amount of bundles everywhere, this could work as a better way to expose more people to the game early on.
Social media do have it's importance nowadays, but it will usually only work for a very limited number of games anyway.

Well, it is free to play on Steam. Try it.

Are you talking to me user? I said it was just donations. And the developers are using Valve as a publisher. The Store can give you a good visibility, and they care about the distribution. The developer only have to pay them if he is paid first.

Hey, I think I remember a very cool hentai with that lady.
g.e-hentai.org/g/594890/190b0401cb/
She is a big girl.
By the way, I remember a female wrestling game for SNES, I used to play it on an emulator. It was interesting.

I'm really not worried about AAA games. I was thinking exclusively about indie games here. I mean, this is really useful for games with no budged for marketing and is counting in the word of mouth to get people to try it.

By the way, vid related is what the developer/animator is working now.

Post actual evidence or fuck off, this is brought up every time, and every time it's proven to be false. Pirates usually fall into two major groups: those who pirate and buy what they like, and those who always pirate no matter what. The former group tend to spend disproportionately more money than normal legitimate customers. Piracy drives sales for good games, and only hurts sales for shit ones. Minecraft is the single most pirated game of all time yet is also one of the single most profitable games of all time. Just ask Notch.

The "game is free, donate to developer via DLC API" idea is frankly fantastic, and one that I'd personally buy into. It'd definitely save me bandwidth, at least.

ur fucking telling me m8

Waste of dubs
archive.fo/C6D9P

as for the price of free, this is eh

just get doki doki love stomp and little fighter 2, love stomp for muh vn experience and little fighter 2 for a good beat em up at the same price of free

Name Your Price turned out to be the most profitable way for smaller music artists to make money.

Every couple of months I'll see an article about how some band is amazed how much more money they're making as if they were the first to think of the idea of NYP. I don't see why it's not more commonplace. I guess it's just because of the "Intellectual Property" meme; people think you need to treat media like physical property to make money on it.

So, since it's free, no hard feelings. And that's even better. There is no reason to call the developer a hack or anything. You didn't like the game, just delete it and go on.

Bandcamp works on this model most of the time, but this is new to me on steam. It's interesting and I can only see positive things with this system.

answer: no this is not a good idea and developers have had better versions of this idea already in practice. This only just gets around the limitations of steam but you're still factoring in the 25-30% royalty which is stupid. You're basically donating free money to Valve.

Or Gaben gets of his fat ass and adds a donation slider. Not that hard.

Like?