Saturday Night Horror Thread

Anuu, spooky dooky

>With Fatal Frame and the younger DradOut series using photography to interact with ghosts, why are there no good horror games that use EVPs?

Also, Junji Ito dump later on - yay or nay?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamejolt.com/games/banned-memories-yamanashi/78205?comment_page=2
store.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-linux-games/alienisolation/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And the mandatory webm, of course

Fighting the final boss of a hard game with a good run is the scariest thing ever.

This. Even the happiest upbeat game immediatly turns turns fucking terrifying when you get low on health during a boss.

Well, that's kinda to be expected, but for the sake of interest, would you think that games you add visual impairments (i.e. the classical red vignette, or mist or whatnot) when you're low on health? Might make the situation even scarier, but on the other hand, it might also be argued that this just screws over the player.

It needs to be non-intrusive. And for Christ's sake no more of that BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL stuff, it's a cliché at this point.

A started a Pathologic playthrough a while ago and was wondering… when is it supposed to get scary?

Never played it myself, but from what I gather, Pathologic isn't so in-your-face with the horror, but rather builds on its atmosphere and the weirdness of the setting.

Its not supposed to be a horror game

A simple heartbeat force-feedback like in Silent Hill should be more than enough, or visual strain on the character if there's no way to simulate force feedback. Obscuring the screen like that is never good.

Have you finished the first day?

Of course it is

After day one, I understand the history of the town enough to forgive them for their weirdness.

I'm close to the end of day 2 but I'm probably going to start over so I can stock up on food. A while ago means about a week and a half but I took a hiatus.

If it goes grayscale it should be non-intrusive.

Has anyone played the Blair Witch games? Are they shit?

The tension doesn't begin until the plague actually hits, which will be soon, although you should have already had a look inside the Silent House by the end of day 2 if you're playing as Daniil. Whole districts of the town will be like that.

They're not great

Has been ages, but I remember them as very lackluster, especially because they mess up the background story of the Blair Witch mythos.

Very comfy OST though

No, it's not supposed to be a horror game. You're doing it a disservice in pretending it is.

Is Nocturne better? It appears that they run on the same engine.

Somewhat blogposty, sorry for that, but a friend of mine got into eternal darkness on her own for the first time. Usually she can't play spooky games and always needs me to be there to play them while she watches (we went through eternal darkness, fatal frame 2 and silent hill wii together), but she said she wanted to "relax" and try it out on her own. She's doing okay, even managed to get the mantorok rune on her first run, but she seems to need breaks VERY often and screams and saves all the time.
It's pretty funny. Honestly, playing games with an easily-spooked girl is the best feeling. Strangely, it makes me feel more focused, and even when I'm terrified sometimes I keep quiet and think more strategically, carefully, shit like that. Whereas all on my own I'd frankly shit myself and need to turn the lights on after a short while.

Dunno if you guys have cool anecdotes about playing a single player spook game while a friend watches.

You see a lot of people grandstanding about how they'd prefer more subtle atmospheric horror experiences to the in-your-face lowbrow shit, but when an actual subtle high-concept horror game comes along people are trying to reclassify it. Ice-Pick says it's horror, it's horror.

Should I start over if I didnt stock up on food day one? Because I'm debating whether I should tough it out or if I'm just doomed. Should I take that side quest where the shelter owner asks me to go around buying food?

Never heard of that, sorry

Nothing
RE: Zero or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
"LEAVE HERE, MAN" on Call of Pripyat
I'd rather blame youtube
I don't know, it's a good concept

Also, what is Banned Memories? Is it good?

Tough it out

Indie Project that seeks to emulate Silent Hill and similar early fixed-camera horror games in all their pixel glory. Was only 10% done last time I checked, but it has been a while.

Huh, sounds interesting. Any link or video perhaps user ?

What other PS1 horror games were fully rendered in 3D besides Silent Hill? Most I'm aware of had prerendered backgrounds.

Dino Crisis?

Dino Crisis and Clock Tower are the ones I can think of

Please do not attempt to prove your faulty point with the extreme example jump scare games. An atmosphere of unease, which Pathologic succeeds at, does not a horror game make.
You have to understand that when most people read "horror game", they mean something intense, nearly painful to play. It's something thrilling and visceral. You come to horror game threads with the intention of promoting an excellent game with a disturbing atmosphere, but instead, you're giving Pathologic a reputation that does not fit it, and in fact, will make it seem like a basic bait and switch. You are actively harming Pathologic.

gamejolt.com/games/banned-memories-yamanashi/78205?comment_page=2

The game's official site. Still doesn't seem to be done.

Embed is a vid from the dev, though it's from an older version.

Pretty much, same goes for the stalker games. They have awesome atmosphere and do make me shit my pants on occasion but I would never call them horror games.

Huh ! That actually looks pretty interesting. Keeping it under my radar, thanks user !

The general misconception about what does and doesn't make a horror game is not my concern, your description of "an atmosphere of unease" is what's a disservice to the game. Every single aspect of the game, both narrative and mechanic, are supposed to instill fear and helplessness in the player, and, to reiterate, the people who made it say that it's horror. That picture is Dybowsky giving you a look of disapproval.

Wouldn't know, I bailed on Clock Tower after the SNES

What options do you have to pick to get that anyways? I ended up pissing off the ghost.

Also does the new Dreadout game improve on the first game, or is it more of the same? I loved Dreadout's atmosphere and it even got some spooks out from me, but man a slightly bigger budget with less annoying boss fights, maybe even a map feature would have helped it out immensely.

That was a good trilogy, is there any other point and click horror games that you guys would recommend?

Basically, you must not say anything that could possibly offend the ghost. Just play along, or she will break Ira's neck as her older sister did that of Yayan.

Alpha Centarui

Finished Fran Bow last night after putting it off for a while. Was a pretty decent game even though I'm god awful at P&C games so had to use a guide sometimes because of how stupid I am.

Story was okay and there were some parts that made me feel uncomfortable. The entire 3rd chapter is weird though.

I don't get it, is there some reference that I'm not picking up on? Is there an image that pops up that I didn't see because I only enlarged it long enough to see that I knew the poem already?

Mindkill should be a Dune reference but yeah, I'm not picking up on the connection either

Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb, mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.
-Assassins' Redoubt, final transmission.

Okay, so it's a reference to something that happens in Alpha Centauri.

The best horror game.

Play the game

I'd recommend the 3rd Don't Escape game that ScriptWelder also created. The Don't Escape series is all about holing to avoid something and I feel the 3rd one does the horror part really well.

Agreed, the other world shit that Fran saw was unsettling but that ending was retarded. But with how traumatizing Fran's life had become there was no way she'd become a healthy functioning adult.

I always saw it that Fran was actually killed and she was just imagining a Deus Ex Machina ending for herself as she died. Like in Brazil

Just waiting for Outlast 2. Think I've played all the other similar horror walking sims.

The HappyHappyFun land halfway through killed any sense of suspense for me, even with the occasional shadow monster.

Resident Evil 7 is shaping up to be a good game judging by the recent teasers. It has combat and biological hazards now.

Are ghosts real, Holla Forums?

Short answer yes with an if. Long answer no with a but.

Souls who are bound to neither heaven nor hell are trapped in the spirit world limbo (the spirit plane on earth) between heaven and hell. They're "real" but they can rarely effect the physical plane. Even less than demons can

I'll let you know when I become one.

Depends. Poltergeists, for instance, are unconscious projections of telekinetic power by still-living persons.

Or at least some claim that

routine;_;
Only pondering if I should retry Aliens Isolation, got annoyed part way in last time
Metro Last Light got me good at the end of the Dead City level since there is a spook that you are prone to miss if you are not slow and scavenge.
Yeah, they prioritize story over gameplay instead of using it as a red string and counterbalance to the supposedly spooky and gameplay heavy sections that should be there.
Because good horror games are in general harder to find than pretty much any other good games of another genre?
Go with scandinavian/artic/siberian forest in snow, tack on a survival aspect so there is some reason for the player to go out, instead of making one spooky monster go the left 4 dead way and make a director that can make use of animals, natural events and even change up the map to try and fuck you over but a bit more obvious so you get some surrealism horror going. Maybe give the player a dog to care about. No idea what a good story would be though.

I was considering the same thing, but I don't know if I want to trudge back through the boring first half or however long it takes to get good so that I can play the one or two hours that are good

talking about ayylmao isolation, feral store has the complete collection for 15$ store.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-linux-games/alienisolation/ whereas it currently is 50$ on steam. they port games to linux and mac but as they give a steam I would assume you should be able to play it on windows as well at least I never heard of a key that only unlocked a game only to a certain OS

It´s kinda the other way around for me, I liked the introduction and how the setting was building but by the second big hub for the monorails I gave up since the Alien always magically knowing in what general area you are brought the game to a screeching halt. I tried mods to "unchain" the Alien but that only makes it worse since it will now speed over the map like sonic on stim

I still can't help but be worried considering it's Capcom. They seem to make good, decent, or shitty games with horrible business practices whenever they feel like it. It's also a bit disappointing that RE7 is in first person, granted I didn't mind it in REvelations 1 or the Chronicles games.

I may be biased since I'm a huge fan of the original Alien and was prepared to be unimpressed, but the slow introduction fighting androids was pretty underwhelming. I thought that first sudden and unceremonious encounter with the xenomorph was fantastic, and trying to find a way out of the corner it traps you in was the first fun I had with the game.

Oh yeah man I love having all of these guns that serve no purpose besides being magical devices to summon the alien to wherever I am

Fuck yeah, Clock Tower!

Oh they definitely get old fast but I found it neat that they arent even immediately hostile to you in the beginning and make you uncertain of their status. And yeah I have to agree that the first time with the alien actively around it´s doing a great job, it´s the later parts that become boring since the "engaging AI" boils down to a hide -> move -> hide with extra steps attached to it you have to run down every time(e.g: holding your breath).
I have to add also that I was particular dissapointed with the way they handled hostile human npcs on the same map with the Alien, I remember hoping it would turn into a good 3 party situation where the humans try to survive but also take care of the player but instead the alien just speeds around and picks them all off in under a minute and you are back to hiding in lockers.

Yeah, that is pretty lame; at least it's not a full-blown walking simulator, though. Perhaps if RE2 HD does well they will go back to their routes. One can only hope.

When I have the time/motivation/resources to start learning game development again I would like to work on a third person horror myself. It may go under the radar, but I want games me, my friends/family and some of Holla Forums can enjoy simultaneously.

back to their *roots?

wouldn't mind her wrapping that long tongue around my dick tbh

Not excited at all really.
I only really care about the REmake2. RE7 is just gonna be penumbra slapped with resident evil assets. It's not gonna feel like a true RE game.

Why live?

Hahahahahah. It's going to be a fucking disaster and you know it or it's going to get cancelled.

That actually sounds awesome. Penumbra 1 and 2 are the best horror games I've ever played.

Why so sad about Routine? Its not dead and is scheduled for March.

Wasn't it supposed to come out like two years ago? I think most people who cared already moved on.

I didn't.

or the chance there might be some?

does it matter when it comes out if it is good and nothing took its niche in the meantime?I think not

I've mostly seen people comparing it to Isolation