UMPC and similar devices

Lets talk about UMPCs and their 'potential' in videogames, since it seems it's slowly growing as a market with more and more faggots jumping in at the chance.

Will these devices ever be good enough to rival a laptop in terms of videogames? You shouldn't expect it to run AAA shit (and why would you bother anyway), but for emulation or the occasional game after 2007, will they stand a chance?

What would you like for a handheld? What else could be put into a DS sized case to get the best performance?

Any anons have a device like a GPD Win, Win Tablet, etc they use and can recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have an intel stick that I was planning to turn into emulation station after I was fed up with fucking around with raspberry pi, but retroarch at the time was horrible with Intel graphics (it still is but at least it nowadays works if you toggle fullscreen on) and my bluetooth keyboard+touchpad broke. I'll probably get around making it playing games next month when i'll get enough spare cash to rebuy everying i need for it.

and the best part about botnet sticks compared to SJWpi is they run windows games

Never going to take off. Just a bulkier blackberry and we all know how that went.

How many of them can run GNU/Linux?

Where can I get a flipstart like pic related? I've been looking for a UMPC that has Win XP so I could play pic related on the go.

Does linux have PnP drivers for something that is not a conventional Keyboard & Mouse?

there's slim chance you'd find one compatible with Windows XP and even slimmer chance you'd find one with CPU virtualization extensions so you could run it on virtual pc/virtual box

Motorola just released an Android phone that has a pico-projector addon called Insta-Share. Do any of these UMPCs have a pico projector addon?

Insta-Share can do up to 70"….

I know GPD can, rest I haven't a clue.

Pyrafags BTFO

Fucking retards. I was hoping I could use it to project my vidya screen on the ceiling to play vidya on my bed. I suppose I could do it with the emulators, but I wanted to use a console.

HOLY SHIT

The Pyra is the shit and its not too expensive.

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

(Check'd)
I like the design (and the philosophy behind it) a lot, but I think it's kinda expensive for an ARM device, as there are cheaper alternatives if you just want to play games (GPD XD, Xperia Play, Nvidia Shield, etc) If it had a x86 CPU, I'd buy the fuck out of it.

I've been following it for a bit and seems they resolved some issues that the openpandora had like loose battery for example.
Gonna wait some more before i consider buying it.

Fantastic concept, I hope I can replace my phone with it.
The only thing I'd like to see at this point is a swivel mount for the display and a stylus for precision input I just want another device with the n900 design concept God damn it.
I can't see its use for games however, to be honest. Processor is now somewhat dated, and ARM means you can't just slap PoL on it and play away.

Looks kickass. Too bad it will be obsolete in 2 years.

GPD Win has too many problems with the units they are sending out. Just look at its reddit page. Not going to chance it.

The Pyra might have the best controls out of all of them but I'm doubtful it will ever get anything other than a limited release just like the openpandora.

Xperia play is outdated and doesn't have physical analog sticks. Not even worth considering today. The shield is also discontinued and prices for it are too high.

Has it been released yet, or is it still sitting in preorder?

The Shield is expensive as fuck, you right.
But the Xperia play is good enough if you want to play stuff up to SNES/GBA/PS1 on a really small thing. The GPD XD is supposedly very good and can take up to PSP/Dreamcast stuff

Any nigger got an SJWpi and can comment on how effective of an emubox it is?

How well would controller adapter work for it as well?

The GPD Win was a good idea on paper but it was executed terribly.

There isn't really any need for a keyboard or a touch screen on the device. People who want to play Windows games on it will use the controller anyway, so there was no point in it.

Also there's loads and loads of defective units. I'd get a GPD XD if it ran Windows though.

It's shit fampai

It's almost ready, first they need to fulfill the preorders, after that they can have stock to sell directly.

Recalbox on rpi is fantastic.

Literally WHY would I use this over any high end phone? Eat shit.

Slabs are impotence by design, not to mention common mobile OSs leave much to be desired regarding customisation, adaptability and connectivity.
I've considered a Blackberry Passport/Priv, but Blackberry 10 doesn't integrate well into my other services, and despite its name, the Priv apparently goes out of its way to prevent root access.

How well do emus run on a Pi3 with it? Mainly plan to get a cheap one, hook up adapter to Saturn controller and play a ton of shit. Be fun as fuck to try N64 with 3D controller.

I'm running it on an rpi2, and mupen works just fine. You still have your emulator-specific hiccups, but nothing too jarring.
PSX emulation is somewhat iffy, largely depends on the title. I couldn't discern whether that's due to the hardware or the software.
Everything before that generation should pose no problems, though I don't use any of the really old ones.
Iirc libretro now also contains a ppsspp core. I would be surprised, however, if it ran with flourish comparable to what you can achieve with more powerful hardware.
Regarding USB drivers, I can't really be of help. I'm using an Xbox 360 controller for pretty much everything.

Heed an user that fell into this trap's warnings. The Xperia play is just a $40 meme.

The Pyra is two slabs with a hinge. Same with GPD. Why do they make them so uncomfortable to hold?

Everything this comes up and every time the answer is the same. Never. To have enough juice to handle all the optimized garbage games means you will hold something that puts out enough heat to cook an egg. All these claims of putting enough processing power to handle anything without explaining how they will have more than a 2hr battery life. Everytime I see these projects the team is all software people and maybe a computer engineer. A group that can barley spell firmware let alone know how to design hardware effectively. Anyone with half a brain who tries to make on of these realizes very quickly how much of a fools errand this is. Stop trying to make this happen it won't.

I used the wrong term, sorry about that.
"Slate" is the design term for the common smartphone form factor - a slate with a screen on it, and very little input options aside from that.
This works fine if the device is only used to consume, but the very limited nature of the input device and the tendency of common mobile operating systems to obfuscate their inner workings leaves much to be desired for me. My remark had nothing to do with ergonomics.
And before you ask, the perfect mobile computing device form factor already exists. It's called the Nokia n900, and I'd like to have that in 5" and with a x7-Z8700, thank you very much.

Xbox OG, 360, and DS3's. Apparently Xbone and DS4 too, but everytime I tried them on an older kernel that said it was supported, my system hung. Also usually PnP for webcams.

Are you a yurofag? It's pretty expensive for a meh handheld. The biggest things going for it are battery life, essentially. It's not going to be a powerful web browser and it's going to take some doing to get good ports of things. You can probably run Wesnoth on the go? And the older FPS like Quake 3 and so forth. Honestly, if I didn't know of EvilDragon, I'd probably shy away. Otherwise, I know that the software support should be pretty good. Until I see how it performs, I still have a N3DS with CFW that I can run emulators on, which is getting close to running PSX 100%.

I never had one, but I never liked the slide out keyboards on phones. They never seemed to have good tactile response for where my fingers where and such.

Because some high end phones explode, and it's still more CPU power than a N3DS, though probably less GPU power. Also they don't have as good battery life or physical controls, you stupid fucking casual piece of shit. Please kill yourself. On top of not having 2 fullsize SD card slots, and HDMI out.

That's why the Pyra was posted. They charge a fuckload to get their money back, but they usually know how to design their system especially since this isn't their first one.

No it isn't. A handful of games running at 40 fps WITHOUT SOUND is not close to 100% considering retroarch development on 3ds is dead.

Alright, thanks user. Any PC98 emus around for it at all?

Retroarch is dead already?

You're really going out of your way to sound like a hipster when all you want is just a phone with a keyboard.