Star Ocean Thread

Just got up to Roak in Last Hope. Does Edge ever stop being an insufferable little bitch? Ever since the Earth mission his character's reverted to a 14-year old shit.

The only good Star Ocean is the first two with 2 especially standing out. Similar to Suikoden.

I'd say the same applies to the Lufia games, actually. First one was good; second game was a childhood favourite; the GBA and GBC ones were shit.

Toss in Grandia too.

No.

Good to know other anons enjoyed Second Story as well. Played TTEOT recently and forgot why I didn't play it as much. Than after a few hours I realized how mediocre the game is in every way. Get punished twice for using 1 fucking special attack. Commands sometimes do not fucking respond. Slight deviation, ie not perfectly facing monster, leads to ambush or surprise attacks. MP as a second fucking health bar.

Fuck the developer lead for OKing that. It's a load of shit!

The gameboy ones aren't too bad, it's just one would've been better on decent hardware, and the other isn't really a lufia game at all, just an original IP given a coat of paint.
The DS one is the really shitty game, it's like they were making a Kingdom hearts game and then suddenly decided to milk a dead IP one last time.

Daily reminder Fate teams up with Luther in the solo ending. Fayt's autism is fueled by his loneliness until he eventually creates a virtual game world for everyone in the Eternal Sphere to play
POTTERY

So wait, is it just Star Ocean 3 that's set in a virtual reality game? Or the entire series?

I thought in the solo ending he just says that his college is closed and he's gonna relax for awhile.

I thought he just went to relax alone for awhile.

I really hope you didn't pay for that.

All of them are. They even hint in the 3 that the events of 2 were just a hacker raid or something like that.

It was given to me as a gift from my ex a couple of years ago. Only played a few hours when I got it. I recently picked it up again because I felt like a console JRPG like I played when I was a kid.

This is not an ending, just the post-game dungeon.

symbology is in all the games, and since symbology is essentialy just fourth dimensional hacks, yes

I know, what I mean is character appearances are usually with whoever's ending you got. Luther appearing means Fayt is most akin to Luther by the end of the game
DEEPEST LORE

The entire series. They even retconned the PSP remakes of I & II to add in Welch Vinyard, who is heavily implied to be a 4D player and a hacker.

That's just because she's cute
Her reality warping is just a bonus

How was Integrity and Faithlessness

I'm playing it at the moment, it's not terrible so far. That could easily change though.

It's not that bad. I wouldn't pay full squeenix price for it tho.

Do we go back to 4D?

Nice dubs
Who else thinks Urssa lava cave's mirror pools connect to another alt reality entirely?

Came here to praise Second Story too. One of the best JRPGs IMO, classic tri-Ace games easily stood with Squaresoft's. Pure greatness all around.

Tried playing Blue Sphere a long while ago (did that ever get translated?); SO3 is only good for the gameplay. SO4 is a caricature of everything wrong with nip games today, and 5 wasn't much better from what I heard.

Obligatory Nappy time, k?

he does eventually, but not for a good while. It's annoying as hell. As bad as Last Hope is, I have a soft spot for it all the same.

Nice trips, enjoy your nappy time, kay?

A redditor has been working on it on/off for over 6 years now, but all that's been produced so far is an unfinished menu patch. Still, things seem to be moving in the right direction

Shit, forgot the video.

heh yeah pretty much
funny how this works with nip series

4 is complete garbage. Is the rest of the series shit like 4 was?

I dunno, I have kind of a hard spot for it, but that's mostly because of Myuria.

Art direction wise, Star Ocean 4 was fantastic. Worst Welch, and they could do with deleting Lymle and Mericle - but otherwise it really makes me want to like the game - but the actual gameplay was just kind of standard fare for a Star Ocean and couldn't compensate for the shitty level design, trash story, and cringe inducing VA work. Not really a huge fan of the crafting system either, which (maybe I'm remembering wrong) was pretty fucking grindy and unforgiving. You should only have to grind for levels, or grind for materials, to power your character up. Not both. This isn't a fucking MMO.

Really loved Reimi's costume design, but part of that I think is the skirt plates remind me of RAcaseal butts - which coincidentally (and speak of Phantasy Star), they did put into Nova.

So there's that. Shame Nova is low-effort trash, but then again, counting on Tri-Ace to produce quality these days seems to be asking quite a lot of them.

I'd only ever played 3 before, and that was quite some time ago. But fuck yeah, Welch is annoying. Lymle is cute, though. I have a huge soft spot for kids being innocent kids, like in Ghibli movies. So Lymle is always in my party.

一緒におねむしてほしいのよ;_;

this

I could say /thread but lets keep going because this is a good thread

pretty much everything that came becasue of square enix merger was shit

He stops being a bitch but the game never stops being a boring railroad.

Who knew space could be so linear

I just got Myuria and she seems a decent caster.

What's everyone's parties for SO4? At the moment I'm rocking Ecchi/Reimi/Baccus/Myuria. Although I find myself usually playing as Edge as I've gotten used to his playstyle.

Edge/Reimi/Meracle/Lymle
I don't even bother leveling the other 4

Suikoden 3 was great, though.

By the time it comes to get Arumat, Faize is already several levels ahead of him, so its always just a pointless downgrade.

DATA SHOULD BEHAVE AS SUCH

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE
BEGONE, EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING
RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL PREVAIL
What did he mean by this?

Why the fuck is this guy called Edge Maverick anyways, he's not particularly rebellious at all.

What the fuck Tri-ace?

I don't know, but if you set the language to moon it sounds like they're calling him "Ecchi", half the time.

I never understood why so many anons bitched about 4th dimensional beings and the games we played were nothing more than data. Considering our own human history has Gods using humans for their own enjoyment or tools, similar to what 4th dimensional beings do. Also maybe cause I'm already mentally prepared for Aliens to show themselves on planet Earth and let us know our planet is getting boring like that south park episode or how Men in Black 2 ended.

Yeah, the hard /d/ in Japanese wouldn't produce "Edge". His nip name is エッジ, which is pronounced more like Ejji or Esshy.

I like all the Star Ocean games. I wish they put more care into them. 10 years for fuck boy fantasy while this series gets pushed into mobile trash.

WALLOW IN DESPAIR