Is Linux worth using, from a gamer's perspective?

Is Linux worth using, from a gamer's perspective?

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php?f=1992
rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php?f=2059
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

Absolutely. You'll have more games that run better as well as all the freedom of Linux. There's no downside to speak of

No.

From a gamer's perspective? No. But it's more fun and feels more of an operating system than windoze, Do not listen to shills like

There really is no downsides when you consider how many good new games are linux compatible.

Only if you have it installed on an older or underpowered system. That way you can play older games that are more likely to run well in WINE.
For new and/or AAA shit? Unlikely.

No

From a gamer's persective, no.
However, if you're on Holla Forums, yes.
Because you already don't play video games excep shit from 50 years ago so you might as well switch to linux.

Sometimes I wish Linux had a hotter mascot.

OP, honest answer: if all you're doing is gaming, Linux generally won't be better so much as different. Some games run a lot better on Linux. Some run worse. Most are slightly better. Some don't run at all (though that list has shrunk a lot in the past few years. Nearly all the most played games today will run)

You will sometimes have to fuck around with things more to get stuff working, but you can also get some dank performance if you know what you're doing.

Overall, if I was considering switching for gaming aloneā€¦ I don't know if I'd do it. If you like tinkering and min-maxing shit then sure. If you ever want to learn some programming or host servers then I actually strongly recommend it. But if you just want to install and forget, Windows is probably better.

I'm sure as hell not going to insult you just for being afraid of uprooting a lot of what you already know about using your computer, because that would be retarded. Instead I'll suggest trying to install Linux Mint or some other relatively easy-to-use distro on a USB drive and trying it out. That way you don't have to risk anything and you can fuck around all you want. If it interests you, jump on Holla Forums and ask for some pointers. Or hold on to your balls and go to the linux_gaming subreddit. Yes I know, "le reddit", but they're a good resource.

I wasn't aware that FOSS had shills. Propronents? Sure. Shills? Unless they're paid in monopoly money I don't think so.

No. All it has is indie shit, old shit, and emulators. emulators are an inferior experience to original hardware.

What are you doing on Holla Forums of all places?

Depends.

You have a console and always play on it?
Install Linux.

You play only video games on emulators?
Install Linux, linux has all the emulators.

You play video games that were ported to linux or play on wine perfectly?
Install Linux.

I personally play Crusader Kings 2 and Mount and Blade Warband, they are both available on Linux, i have no problems with it at all. And some games on Pcsx2 and Dolphin emulators.

No.

Good luck fucking around with MS-DOS then.

Some old games that were ported to Linux do not have mouse acceleration such as Psychonauts, because developers don't bother fucking around with X dotfiles bceause that would be absolutely retarded

If you're an racing/arcade fan, I got the exclusive for you

Depends on what games you want, the library has made surprisng leaps but it is still inferior as far as the LATEST HOTTEST VIDYA is concerned.

But in wake of the W10 cancer Linux distros are almost stupidly light weight comparatively due not having so much useless bloat that if you only care about the games that have Linux versions to gonna play on a Laptop that isn't overpriced to hell then it would be a superior choice, though that is arguably more due MS shooting themselves in the foot and puting W10 on hardware that can barely run it.

Neutered W7 on a desktop is the way to go for if you wanna play pirate the LATEST Console Port Shit games with DLC, W10 is still a full-on Retard check.

Linux is more a blip on the radar these days then 6 years ago, but not quite there yet.

you do know that any pc can play them right, and pretty much everyone on Holla Forums has played these old ass PC games right

just making sure, also kill yourself

omg anything but command lines nigger you know you made a linux thread right

Linux + Windows on a VM with GPU passtrough. Best of both worlds with essentially no performance loss.

the "lack" of "games" is compensated by how much fun you have by using a proper OS

Post yours.

the one good thing about linux is it prioritizes your gaming on consoles, so at least you won't be falling for the pc game meme

Mine:
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMintDISTRIB_RELEASE=17.2DISTRIB_CODENAME=rafaelaDISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela"

Depends, do you want to play games that require DX11/12? If that's the case then no, ganoo slash linux is not a good option. However, if you're content with running all your games in WINE (which generally gives you the same or better performance as Windows, at least for me), then there's little reason not to other than the learning curve. I haven't found a game that doesn't work well on WINE yet but I also don't play a lot of different games, the one I expected to work the least (DaS1) somehow ended up working perfectly with no configuration on the first run.

That's not it, really. It's more about not wanting to fuck around with CPU cycles to get older shit working properly.

dear god anything but that it's almost as if it's a push of a button :((((((

do you know shit about anything or do you think everything from before you were born was some cryptic nightmare

Yes. The amount of games on it are rapidly increasing, including AAA titles. Drivers aren't perfect, but they are definitely a lot better than they used to be. Your main way of playing games will probably be Steam, GOG, and emulators. There are other sites like GOG that offer Linux games, but Steam and GOG are really the big two.

This.

Is Lain the unofficial Linux mascotte or something?
And since I've recently got into Linux and stuff, is there a distro you guys would recommend for beginners that isn't Ubuntu or other lame shit?

what was the last aaa games released for linux

If you can't use Archlinux, you can't use Linux.

pick a distro that has a cool name because it doesn't matter, unless you want specific packages and package manager

Lubuntu or Trisquel. Both based on Ubuntu but fine and easy to use if you're used to Windows.

tux cart, hedge wars, dwarf fortress and net hack are the only games you will ever need so yes linux is fine.

Pretty much.

There isn't anything really wrong with Ubuntu as long as it isn't the main version. Just choose one of its derivatives likes Xubuntu, Ubuntu with MATE or with GNOME, and you're fine. It offers the best ease of use and offers great support from community and developers. I wouldn't say something like Linux Mint because their packages aren't peer reviewed.

If you really don't want Ubuntu, then I would say something Debian based just because of the vast support for it. Fedora is also good, but I just prefer Debian.

will never get you cucks

Some people shill for boredom.

I can understand using but most specifically pirating Windows but not defending the software jews

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was recent I believe.

yeah but was there anything good

I don't know I haven't played it. It is nonetheless a AAA game.

that's what i grew up on, dipshit children and their adhd cant handle them.

From a gamer's perspective, no, but that's literally the only area it doesn't have an advantage in.

I just think the people aggressively attacking unix are morons, because even if they pirate windows as long as windows dominates the PC market they're always going to get a piece of the pie.

Also Tyranny, GOG release.

you poor little cripple, is having an actual frame rate and actual game play too much for your aging ass

Native Linux games to pirate:
rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php?f=1992
Wine ported Linux games:
rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php?f=2059

Yes.

Lain is the mascot for faggot wannabe hackers who use Ubuntu or Mint.

I thought pic related was Ubuntu's mascot

LAIN IS A SLUT.

A SLUT

Yes, install configure KVM with GPU passthrough, install windows 10 in a VM and enjoy your frankenstein freedom / gayman OS. Make sure to install windows + base drivers + base programs offline, then disable all access to microsoft servers. Take a snapshot there and fall back to it if something ever gets fucked up. Attach steamlibrary as a separate drive so it persists through a rollback.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

rms pls go

Hopefully someday, but no.

Steam doesn't work, probably should've went with a better distro but hey, it's mostly crap on there anyway. Wine, piracy, and emulation will get you far enough.

if you don't like the gui of windows and it's gui editor is too limited for you then try linux.
if you dont want to have to pay for it then yeah linux.
other then that it isn't 2006 anymore so Linux doesn't beat windows in stability, which was it's main pro that it had over windows (that and being free, but free copies of windows 10 aren't hard to get).

for strictly video games then of course not. there is nothing linux beats windows in for video games

Disgusting

performance

what?

/Thread

NSA/Windows is literally spyware that has nothing going for itself, except a userbase that is too feeble-minded and timid to install a different operating system. If only 5% of gamers switched to GNU/Linux, every game would get a fully functional port right out of the gate, but man is a creature of habit and if this habit of hanging on to shitty corporate spyware is not broken mankind will never untangle the web that the spyware industrial complex has spun.

The first step to playing games in Linux is to download a Windows emulator, so I doubt it.

WINE Is Not an Emulator.

but wine isn't an emulator, or an acronym technically.

It's a recursive acronym.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You're welcome.

newer shooters just arent fun :^)

Linux Master Race here.
Linux has thousands of native games, tens of thousands work with emulators.
Most game engines work in Linux. Unity works, Unreal Engine works, the coming UT game works. This year more games for Linux were released than from 1992 to 2015 combined and 2017 and 2018 will be even better. The Wangblows dinosaur is dying, The age of Linux is upon us.

Yes. I'd say that some flavor of Linux (or FreeBSD) is pretty much your only choice as a gamer. Unless you're a Windows user, that is. In which case you should stay on Windows and/or kill yourself.

WINDOWS HAS NO GAMES
Solitaire is an astrology app and minesweeper an interactive emoticon.