Volvo

Is Valve just the smartest company in games? While nearly every other AAA company is losing millions on big-budget flops and new shiny engines, it seems like they've figured out that the best way to make money off games is to not make new games at all and recycling their old engine for remasters.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Inb4 "Portal wasn't made by valve"
Narbacular drop was just a student project, and it was completed.
Those students weren't going to make a new one.
It was Valve's decision for a game like Narbacular Drop to be made for the consumer market, and so they hired the students responsible for Narbacular Drop.

Nah. Gabe Newell just saw Bill Gates hardcore jewing and copied his tactics. I read somewhere the whole idea behind steam was based on Bill Gates idea of "Make people dependent on your software"

sounds like "the smartest", then. I'm certainly more dependent on Steam than I am on the likes of Origin of Uplay.
decent digits.

Valve succeed because they are simply competent. In the world of AAA not being completely retarded is sufficient to rise to the top.

He did not say Portal wasn't made by Valve he said portal was not original. Being based fairly heavily on a student game means the gameplay was indeed not original.

Valves cut is 30% you mong

You must also remember that Steam's dominance was not really a result of Gabe being smart as much as the competition being retarded. Physical retailers slowly abandoned the PC market (at least in Europe and the UK) and Steam/Valve gained a lot of goodwill by stepping in and filling that void. Steam actually had a terrible release back with HL2 (commonly nicknamed steaming pile of shit or similar) but the incompetence of physical retailers pushed people towards it eventually. Personally I refused even consider using Steam until the release of L4D and even then did most of my gaming-related shit on Xfire.

Steam sales were also a brilliant idea from a business perspective. The costs of digital distribution are so low that physical stores simply cannot compete: you can make a profit selling a digital game for £1-2 or less which wouldn't even be break even price for a physical copy.

But basically Steam succeeded by acting as a service when physical retailers made it as hard as possible to pay them for vidya. Valve have since abandoned this tactic in favour of jewing people, particularly those who have recently swapped from console gaming as these players are less likely to seek alternative platforms (they are used to locked-down ecosystems and jewing).

I still hate valve but what's the problem behind buying mods, indie games, or student games and then getting a bigger team to work on them? It's not like a company can be "creative", it's a fucking company, they can just hire creative people.

I thought they take a 30% cut on all of other peoples games' sales.

the orange box was a pretty good deal honestly.

I fucking loved going doublemedic and just smacking bugs with a healthpack.
Game sucked though, no chance with pubs on anything other than easy.
Also noone in que for anything other than easy.

Ultimately I think a company has failed when they say they'll make a sequel to a game, but take so long that a fan can make their own sequel. Seriously starting to wonder why people aren't getting legitimately upset with them for not even trying to make a game or do anything with Source 2. At the very least release the fucking engine for use, kikes.

Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake. Let valve continue their bad decisions, in fact encourage them in it, hopefully it steers them towards bankruptcy quicker.

An user can hope

You honestly think they're going bankrupt this century? You do understand that they're basically the spotify/pandora/itunes of video games, right?

I said an user can hope. Why do the evil people keep getting away with it?

Because stupid people enable them

Still less jewish than most major record labels and online music retailers.

You'd be surprised. Many online music retailers dropped DRM for the archaic kike abuse towards customers it was years ago.

Can you post gif of that pic? Or at least MDE episode

I don't have the gifs or episode, though I can tell you that it was one of the last episodes, maybe the last one.

Nothing really but it shows a lack of originality.

I loved the orange box, for me it was a great deal (I hadn't played TF2 or any of the HL2 games before getting it). It doesn't change the fact that is was hardly an original product since it was mostly games that were already out.

Fuck the level system though. I'm not going to grind the same campaign over and over.

Eh, I think I promoted once and got up a decent amount again.
It does change quite a lot with diffrent weapons and teammates, even without random enemies enabled

Come on, fam. Did you really learn nothing from the garbage they set up to protect five year-olds from falling for obvious scams?

My only gripe is the decision not to port Team Fortress 2 to Source 2.
That would enable up to five hats being wearable at once because the playerattachment system is significantly improved. I'm somewhat glad Steam is not a complete pain in the ass drm wise.

Reminds me of EA.

Did EA ever made a game? M.U.L.E & Archon were made by them, right?

But it's a company: everything it does it technically not "original", but they still hire creative people.

Valve wishes it had the Nintendo drone fanbase.

They have an even more faithful group though

This. Most people on Steam weren't around when Half Life 2 crashed the servers and it took *weeks* for Valve to fix it and let people play the game. Never mind the original version of HL2 was a fucking mess that made Assassin's Creed Unity look like a polished Nintendo Seal Of Quality title.

Their successful relaunch with The Orange Box and the sale heavy approach of getting people to buy previous work at cheap prices to hype up sequels and developers next game also worked at first.

Well, Valve is in a bit of a crisis because their attempts to branch out have been either miserable failures (Steam OS, Steamboxes) or only moderate successes that returned investment and not much else (Steam Controller and Steam Link). Microtransactions seem like their last gamble but it looks like the courts will crack down on them for their lack of oversight on Steam API.

Valve makes money, but there's no company growth at all which will eventually shrink their profits.

If it was then Holla Forums would have a valve internet defense force. I wouldn't personally know since the NIDF seems to always pop up around here now. Please try to be objective.

Nidf is a nonidort meme.
And if you spent literally any time anywhere else you'd know how massive the Valvejerk is because they essentially are the monopoly on pc vidya distribution.

Not to mention other online distributors have slowly been muscling in on the scene

but it does
captcha: onlfãn

the orange box only had 2 re-released titles in it.

Competitors still haven't achieved the level of vendor lock Valve has reached. Steam is really just 90% of the market compared to Origin, Uplay, GOG and Windows Store.

The main issue regarding Valve's company growth is that they have poisoned the waters allowing so much shovelware on the platform that consumers are taking less risks, even on sales, for fear they may get a broken product and consumer spending declines the more they build up the library. You can buy gifts for your friends, sure. But there's only so much people will spend and people are spending way less on Steam than they used to. Plus their focus on massive whales in their own products like DOTA, TF2 and CSGO and their ARG/Card trading games which took focus away from the regular customer who just wants to play games, buys during sales and gets pissed off when they get a bunch of crap in their inbox they aren't interested in.

VR is only a moderate growth aimed to be a long term and it will be a long time before it pays off (Never mind that HTC is fronting most of that bill) and it's a loss leader for now. So they can't rely on on that. So Valve has not got a lot of options they can rely on to generate growth and profits will eventually shrink and turn into losses in their current state because there's little consumer confidence left in them and purchasing will shrink as more early access shovelware and unity asset flips clog the lower end of the store and high end AAA's launch with problems.

Valve is pretty much nothing more than a digital landlord at this point, and as EVERYBODY knows, landlords are the root of all evil.

Wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg

Holla Forums has one of the largest valve fanbases on the internet, newfag

you are on the wrong Holla Forums if you think that.

This is 8ch/v/ right?

"slowly"
But yeah the huge drop in quality control on steam is probably what will eventually make them lose their monopoly position along with the eternal early access that indie devs have milked

itunes is 13 years old, that's nothing compared to a real business.

show me the vdf here

You, from the looks of it.

A quality comeback, you really proved him wrong.

Thanks

I think most of the issues that you describe are a by-product of valve's biggest flaw: complacency. Remember when valve was small and gaben had a working ethic of not giving a damn about time and resources so long as the final product was a truly finished, high quality game? Regardless of the opinion one might have concerning their original IPs, they certainly succeeded, and it only made sense to use the surplus of that success to up the ambition and create projects that further benefit the company.

The success of steam's convenience and valve's decisions during its infancy only cemented their success even more, but then gaben probably realized that he became one of the industry's top dogs, so the fact of "I can stop giving a single fuck and I'll still make money" probably clicked the moment he noticed. So now valve just fucks around and doesn't need to pay attention anymore because really, where else are you going to get your games? The absolutely abhorrent competition full of even bigger scumbag dumbasses that can't even make a complete game anymore? Valve is now on a working ethic of "lel we're set in stone so why bother".

I have no doubt that all of current year valve's problems are the consequence of such mentality, but I'm also certain that, if left unchecked, such thought process will be their undoing. Albeit extremely slow, of course.

fuck source 2, ue4 is better

unreal engine has become a meme, used to be the best engine on the market but not anymore

am i missing something here? Im using it for my shitty hobby game that I'll probably never finish and its by far the best 3d engine I've tried
torque is dated, unity is too basic and cryengine is a real fuckin mess

Oh yeah. It will be a while before the others catch up or M$ realizes the easiest way to unfuck their store is to stop selling games in Windows Store and build a dedicated game download service into the Xbox App using it's internal store instead.

The rot is setting in Valve a lot quicker than a lot of people expected though. 2016 is looking to have been a bad year with only Civ 6 being the big outstanding performer and a few consistent sellers like GTA V and Rocket League but no big breakthrough game or massive AAA like Fallout 4.

They also had incredible PR where they always claimed they were this "small, humble company of gamers" that built the massive cult of personality over years and let it play out. Doug Lombardi is a genius. It's just that complacency breeds contempt and after fiascos like Paid Mods and the current CSGO lottery bullshit or Early Access abuse. The contempt is rising and PR can't stem that tide after letting it go on for so long.

According to Google, Gabe has more money than Trump

Is there even anything big on the horizon for 2017 either?
I can't think of any major windfalls

so what

The Lego Batman movie looks like kino.

Yeah, me neither.

No, there are just a lot of stupid fucking people on this planet.

Nothing major in 2017 on PC, particularly games with a PC focus, as Star Citizen is way off. So unless Todd magically pulls Elder Scrolls 6 out of his ass. It's really unlikely. It's probably the first year in a while, anything major will release on Steam. Maybe Destiny 2, but PC players have been burned by Activision so many times that COD IW completely flopped and that was a series that pulled in millions sold on Steam before so it's not a guarantee.

The slow decline seems like it's going to continue to the point where I'm not sure what the companies next steps will be. They could have been a bit smart and invested in games that wouldn't normally see PC release. Like hire a porting studio and get Persona 5 on PC during that big localisation gap. Or broker a deal with Sony that after an exclusivity period on their consoles that Sony games will come to steam 6-12 months after PS4 (And Sony would be interested because their first party sales performance has been ghastly this generation). There's a lack of willingness to invest back what they have earned on top of the general complacency.

I got that far before realizing you were baiting. Don't scare me like that, I almost thought there were people here that unironically think those things.

That's not what is meant by 25% on all pc sales means.

I think they're talking in terms of games that will sell well not games that are good.

If they're not, they're at least the smartest of the big vidya companies.
Whoever suggested that valve go from making games to just charging devs to use their publishing service had to be fucking clairvoyant or something.

Wait, Source 2 came out?

That'll be 2018 or 2019, maybe they'll announce it in 2017

I increasingly doubt this will see the light of release

Hold up, they're actually releasing that for PC?

Yeah, I have no clue what Gaben is thinking with his business strategy right now, they've lost so many opportunities, and right now they can really set the rules for any deals they make given their market power, a situation that probably won't remain in the future

It's about what would sell big for the normalfags

Warrants having both a red circle and a yellow circle around it.

It wasn't a mod that they picked up and it's nothing like the original TF for Quake.

More people playing farming simulator on steam than IW, sales were down 50% from the last COD
While I'm sure they still made money, they probably didn't hit their goal which in this day and age means dev death soon

I think the only thing keeping it "original" would be the high amount of polish the models have. I am more impressed by it all the time to be honest. It's the very definition of stylized. When you look at someone or something from tf2 it's almost always instantly recognizable both for what it is and being from tf2.

wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2

I'm inclined to say if Portal 2 should be considered a rehash then TF2 isn't much different.

Tbh valve is the only company that stuck to the formula "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Meanwhile
etc.

No you thick-skulled fuck. The original Team Fortress was a mod for Quake, Team Fortress 2 is its own game.

The wiki page is talking about team fortress 2.

Sorry, I can never be too sure on Holla Forums anymore.

No one's using it except Valve because of their retarded stipulation that any game using it has to be released on Steam. Compare it to Unity, UE4, Cryengine, even Amazon Lumberyard. Those have nowhere near the restrictions Valve have on Source 2. You can even release a game using Lumberyard and only release it on PS4 and Amazon will only charge you if you meet the sales quota (Their only stipulation is that you have to use Amazon AWS if you run Dedicated servers and even then it cuts costs of your license fee).

Respawn even wanted to use Source 2 for Titanfall 2 but Valve refused because Titanfall 2 was EA published so it would be Origin only. Which, when you are trying to establish a new engine in this new competitive market is a bad fucking idea because if Respawn did use Source 2. Then Valve would have a proof of concept game without doing it themselves. It's likely disappeared into the mire of dead projects at Valve at this point. And Valve has completely hammered EA in the PC space so badly that EA would be eating it by letting a dev showcase Valve's engine on Origin.

It's just another one of those completely questionable decisions Valve has made. They make a new engine, and no one is allowed use it unless its on Valve's platform while every other engine company is rolling in money because they only charge fees if the developer meets a sales/revenue quota.

I hope for your sake you're merely pretending to be retarded, because almost nothing in the released Team Fortress 2 is similar to the early footage, which was using the Goldsource engine and not the Quake engine.

But it still means that the game Team Fortress 2 was originally a mod.

>AT ALL

Grow the fuck up nigger. Companies hire people to do new things all the time. That's called growth.

TFC was developed out of a Quake mod. TF2 has little-no relation to TFC beyond superficial shit like sharing broad designs for maps and classes. Frankly you could name it 'Battle Mercenaries' and nobody would know it was supposed to be a sequel.

Compare this to CS:S which is more or less a copy of 1.6 with some minor changes (almost all of which are shit).