Shmup thread

is this game a good entry point for getting into the genre?

What are some good entry points?

What are some good cute'em ups.

I remember playing pic related as a kid and liking it. of course now i'm gonna try the arcade version on the psp.
I guess that it would be a good time try to making the twin stick with shoulder buttons second nature.

Thunder Force IV.

Cho Ren Sha 68K, Crimzon Clover, and Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors are pretty good entry points

I got into the genre properly by playing the 19– series on fightcade. They seem as easy or as hard as you want them to be depending on continues etc. But thunder force 4 was was attracted me back in the day. I'd like to be good at the more bullet hell style of shmups, but I'm not there yet. I still find them fun, and really it's just a matter of repetition before your skill gets to crazy levels anyway.

Stick with the ones you enjoy and keep playing them.

give the turbo CD version of cotton fantastic night dreams a try!

Do-Do-Do-Do-Do-DoDonPachi

That shit is fucking rad. Also a great game to keep on a flash drive.

Reminder that everyone should play Blue Revolver.

TG16 has a bunch of great shmups:
Darius series
Thunder series
Gradius series
My personal favorites is TG16 Blazing Lazers.

Parodius
Cloud Master (sega master system)

Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo is the fucking shit
It lets you control the difficulty so even first-timers can complete it while experts can get a serious challenge, and it's just a blast to play through everytime, on top of there being tons of different ships to play through like this Psyvariar one, and some branching stages to chose from

Is this sped up or is this an actual difficulty increase?

I've got a fightstick for fightans, but it obviously is awesome to play shumps on. Do other people use sticks?

what are some good shmups to play on psp?

gradius collection
parodius collection
dariusburst

thanks.

Trying out eco fighters from the capcom collection and i'm having a blast. there is something about rotating the shootments that intrigues me to no end is even better than forgotten worlds

Now i need a friend to play co-op with

forgot pic

tried it. too bad vertical shooters aren't really the best experience on psp. the screen is so cramped up. will try it on ppsspp and see if my toaster can handle it

I will just drop this here.

Is an arcade stick that necessary for higher play? I just use a gamepad with adjusted deadzones right now

Best horizontal shmup coming through.

I liked II more.

I think it's just more fun

Euroshmup, comin' through.

I'm playing Chariot from the three wonders game and having a lot of fun.

Here's an obscure but interesting doujin shmup called StellaVanity. There doesn't seem to be much info on it on the English web, but it's had me hooked for a couple months now, so it's gotta have something going for it.

actual difficulty
the rank can go from 000 to 500, with 500 being the maximum
you can choose on which rank value to start, and playing on higher rank gives you a higher score (if you can survive long enough, that is)

Hail our lord and savior xoxak

bullet hells are not shmups, they are just retarded

bumpan