Dorf fort thread

so i'm playing adventure mode for the first time
so far i killed an aligator and a few boars, made a bone crown, ate some meat
however, whenever i'm attacking them, it says "punched/kicked" even though i have a spear in my hand
so am i attacking unarmed or does it just say this for whatever i'm attacking with?
also, i threw a dagger at one of the boars, and now i can't find the dagger. is it lost forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Controls
games.digipen.edu/games/dig-n-rig
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119693.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

oh nevermind, i found the dagger, it was in a different boar than the one i killed

are you sure the spear is still in your hands? also i think the spear has to be dual-wielded

with dual wielded i meant held with both hands

i've got a copper spear in the left hand and a large copper dagger in the right hand
does that mean i have to unequip one of them?

yea, unequiping the dagger made it work
sadly i died because two lions attacked me
i managed to hurt one enough for it to run away, but the other wouldn't give up despite the trillion times i stabbed it

if you want to play adventure without getting killed after 5 minutes train by sneaking in and out of a river, it levels swimming, stealth and gives a good amount of raw attributes
also wrestle something without arms/legs without killing it to level combat

i was already a grand master at combat from killing defenseless animals
so far the lion was the only thing that fought back

master throwing instead

so everytime i encounter an animal i just throw a dagger at it and pick it up when it's dead?
can i just use some rock for that? and if i do, can i somehow store my weapons? as far as can understand i need a backpack or some container for that

You can use rocks, there is even a skill to sharpen rocks, you can make a macro to pick a rock, sharpen it, throw and repeat
I think you always start with a backpack, if you don't have one go to any village, in the town hall there are usually items in the ground free to pick (unless toady fixed the stealing detection code), you can find good stuff arround there
Just don't throw clothes and soft objects, as much as you may have heard tales of bronze giants being slain by fluffy creature peojectiles and socks that chop heads these bugs have been fixed

also thrown arrows/bolts are ALMOST as good as the ones launched by bows/crossbows when you become a master thrower

alright, i'm trying the regular dorf fort mode
how do i make a room?
i built walls and a door, and a floor
but when i try to put a bed inside it tells me it has to be indoors
what am i missing?

Is there a ceiling?

how do i make one?

you either put stairs to go up to make the ceiling, or you dig in a mountain

The only thing I really like about DF is the mining, finding ores, and smelting. Are there any other games like this?

minecraft :^)

Are there any good mods that have extra content without being pantsonhead retarded by adding shit that wouldn't match in toady's universe?

DQ Builders at leas once you unlock freemode.

where's the love for economic stones and gems

Do you take steps to buff your civilian population's combat abilities? Why? Why not? What training regimen do you implement?

I do, and in fact make it standard policy. I always prefer embarking in areas with a high level of savagery, the more wild animals and the more vicious they are the better. If there's an abundance of giant beasts, even better. Every time a band of hobos migrants arrives, I forcibly conscript those with non-essential skills and send them to live at a special surface outpost.

Once the squads are formed, they're outfitted with crappy leather armor made by crafting trainees and either given training weapons or sent out unarmed. These unfortunate recruits are made to patrol up and down the map, picking fights with wild animals pretty much nonstop, using only their bare hands and feet and their with. If the fort is sieged by an enemy force, they are to bear the brunt of the attack while the actual guard mobilizes for a counter strike. Any recruit who reaches Legendary level in any skill is exempted from the trials and made to join the regular military. Those who survive a whole year of this hellish gauntlet are released into the general population, to perform regular jobs.

In order to amuse myself keep my civilians' fighting skills sharp or if migrations are slow, I'll draft a batch of random civilians and throw them through the gauntlet all over again, until one season passes or they're all killed. Once again, those with Legendary skills are exempted from this service. Or I might drag a bunch of feral beasts into the mess hall, bar the doors and open the cages.

I find that not only this is a great measure of population control, but it also hardens my people's spirits against the hardships of fortress life, and prepares them in case the worst happens and an invading force manages to breach into the main fort.

I just usually have a standing army or militia supported by a semi-professional artillery core.

Ofcourse, I often end up making enough weapons and armor to equip absolutely everyone in the fortress atleast with some weapons. Once the crisis has passed, I conscript those who showed to have some aptitude for combat to eternal service in the standing army, in order to replace the fallen.

Building, operating, and maintaining minecart railguns.

i'm already bored with things
i went around killing elves but it gets boring
they don't pose much of a challenge
and if i stray from the village, i'll get killed by boogeymen at night
how do i make adventure mode fun?

Git gud, faggot.

If you want something fun find a goblin site, its really satisfying to murder every single one of them, just don't enter the caves, you will be stuck in there for a looooooong time if you forget the way back

thats fucking brutal

thats pretty standard

Its much more interesting then just cheesing it with a danger room

Oh, my sweet innocent summer child. You've never heard of Dwarven Daycare, have you?

by daycare do you mean eugenics crucible?

It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care. The idea is simple, but will take some finesse to perform.
1) Construct a box. It should be 3x3, leaving a 1 tile center free. The walls should be wall grates and the corners should be actual wall. Alternatively, perhaps ideally, the center tile could be a floor grate (not a hatch). The roof should be either a floor grate or a hatch.
2) Place a child into the box. Creative abuse of levers, wall deconstructions, and hatches can be used.
3) Place 12 years worth of ☼Dwarven Syrup Roast☼ and assorted booze into the box, by "dumping" it onto the roof and then opening the roof via lever, causing the items to fall down. For this reason, the floor would need to be solid to accommodate a food stockpile.
4) Place a female dog in the box.
5) Wait 12 years to unleash disaster.

The premise is fairly simple. Animals enclosed in a tight space will lash out randomly, often attacking a dwarf in the same tile. This extends over time to create a biological danger room, where the dwarven children are subjected to 12 years of consistent dog biting, scratching, and watching the dogs kill each other, quickly leveling up the child to legendary dodger, perhaps wrestler/kicker/biter/etc if the dwarf manages to counterattack. Not sure if a dwarf will counterattack an animal. The child will eat the food from the floor that he's been staring at for the past 12 years, and will ideally be comforted by some lovely mist falling right beside him. Once the years have passed, and the child grows into a scarred, hardened, tough-as-steel dwarf (don't forget agility, endurance, etc) who doesn't care about anything. Or, keep the lid closed, and throw in a weapon and shield, and replace the dogs with goblins.

The only issue is trying to get the child to survive without going berzerk. But then again, that might just turn into training for the other caged children, right?

how the fuck do people survive this, i keep dying in the first 5-20 minutes either from wild animals, boogeymen or at one point robbers

DFwiki has helpful pages, some only seeming to link from specific pages.

I'd add:

Post Engravings

No, you can carry a spear with one hand.

Is this a warhammer mod? Is there one where I can play as a carstein adventurer?

Its a Warhammer mod, its pretty okay I guess.
Also even though they do state you are able to play Vampire Counts, I don't exactly know. I'm pretty sure though.

I haven't played since mine cards were introduced.
What have I missed? Will it take long to relearn the game?

Any tips for above ground fortresses? I got this mushroom kingdom mod, and the Toads end up getting sick if they're underground too long.

Walls.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to post this webm.
Seriously though, walls are your friends when working above ground.

Cool. What's it called? There's a bunch of them/

someone help me out, i was climbing trees to sleep in, but when a cheeta showed up i climbed down to kill it
it's dead, but now when i try to get back on the tree it says "can not climb while prone"
wat do

Get up. You're laying on the ground. I believe the button is S.

Press s to stand up

What about the mermaid farming from a while back? I remember that giving me a chuckle.

I'm thinking of starting a surface fort that mimics Bronze Age Minoan and Mycenaean palaces that were built.

Rate this idea.

Someone needs to go back in time and prevent the Bronze Age Collapse. Dat second wave of urban architecture is so nice.

This should help: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Controls

Now, I've got a question of my own. Can bees be weaponized in some fashion? Just curious.

I was expecting to lose a few people on the first attack, but this was even better.

Is there any way to execute someone in Adventure mode? I just spent the last 10 minutes hacking an unconscious person to death with my companions.

You could choke them for a few turns if they absolutely refuse to bleed out or die from dismemberment

Cutting off a single limb should send them near death due to the blood loss. If you hack off another it should be enough to have them die from blood loss. Blood loss, choking, and brain damage is the only way to kill someone in combat. Keep in mind that cutting off two limbs in a short amount of time is a guaranteed death as long as the thing is humanoid. Do not bother cutting at the neck, the only way an attack hitting the neck can kill someone is if it's severed off or a major artery is cut.

How the fug do I do that? Wrestle?

Yes, wrestle and go for the neck. There should be an option to put the thing in a choke hold. I've learned that this doesn't work with Bogeymen.

Wrestle > grapple helmet > take pocession

If the enemy is wearing a helmet, free up a hand so you can wrest that helmet away. Once the enemy's head is unprotected, attack the head.

Just wondering, is there a mod out there that lets you embark while you have another site in your embark area? I really want to claim that necromancer tower for myself.

might need more details
halp df thread

There's a dfhack plugin called embark anywhere that lets you do that.
Enjoy being raped to death by an army of zombie bits before you have any time to prepare, though

Do I gotta install DFHack first?

It's okay fam, I like a challenge.

Is toady going to start working on magic after he's done with artifacts? And has he said what exactly magic will do?

Wait what? This isn't in the current game.

I wish I could figure out how to do fort mode, but alas, I am too stupid for it.

Fort mode is easier than Adventure mode though

It's a mod, genius.

In adventure mode you just wander around and kill shit, though, nothing hard, self explanatory. Fort mode, you actually have to design things, and figure shit out, which is where I am utterly lost at.

You should just play fort mode. What kind of person downloads Dwarf FORTRESS and doesn't build a fortress?

S-sorry user I was just so confused I gave up after a few tries.

To keep a fort going all you need is food and booze. Everything else is optional.

Just treat your dwarves like prisoners that do all the work as well. All you need is food and something to drink for them to survive

Are you sure there's enough fetid muck?

Did you build any appropriately dwarven monuments/mechanisms/superweapons?
Because if you didn't you should try.

Dig'n'Rig maybe, it's a student game but whatever.

games.digipen.edu/games/dig-n-rig

Ran into a weird bug. Regardless of what version of Dorf Fort I use, anything that's 'Undead' crashes the game immediately. Even if I make a unit tagged 'Animated Corpse' in the arena, it immediately crashes.

It's been about a year since I played, what's changed?

Also let's brainstorm ideas. This is what I've thought of:

Do it

Mod this *whips out dick and balls*

People basically took it upon themselves to play the game like a mad scientist. Actually creating a successful fortress by deliberately being fast and loose is the hard part. Make a good fortress is easy, and boring hence why the motto is "losing is fun".

Also the earlier versions had various bugs which made things fun, like acid rain melting everything or giant mosquito swarms that spawned in the hundreds killing everything in their path.

So, I just reclaimed a fort I abandoned during a siege. Lots of maimed corpses and random shit strewn everywhere, the usual.

Now here's the weird part: some of the invaders are still here. At first it startled me, I thought the fort reclamation was doomed to fail before it even started. But they didn't do a thing. They don't attack my dorfs. They don't move. They're just… standing there. Waiting.

What the hell do I do? I can't attack them and risk the entire invading army turning hostile when it's this early and I don't even have a militia set up.

wall them off
drop in some kind of rabid badger
or just wait for them to go insane

in this month's df community oc news

Meph was struck by a fey mood
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0

4/vg/dfg had a tournament, gifs + logs included
boards. 4chan org/vg/thread/160094514#p160350430
i know, i know, but quality oc is quality oc and archives 404 soon

master engraver devilingo has returned
archive.fo/hHaWv
archive.fo/ddNPn

ROTF comic guy is working on a game
@beginnerGameDev

adventure tends to randomly give you encounters that you're bound to die from

I hope you keep us updated.

I promise I'll start it after I'm done with my current fort.

Just embarked smack dab in the middle of a volcano. How can I best harness its power to drown the world in molten, fiery death?

Bring them into your fortress, make them your people, protect them, and then get mad when they go insane and kill everything.

Make food. Brew beer. Kill elves. Drown the migrants. Dig out a moat. Build wall .

Is it really that hard?

Is this new?

My admiration for how industrious the dwarves in dwarf fort are was actually a major reason i decided to learn a trade. I love getting all the industries set up and streamlined and just churning out crafts and such, and using all the unskilled peasant dwarves to build palaces for the artisan/nobility.

Nope, they will sting dwarves and make their arms sore but it doesn't cause any real damage. You could probably weaponize helmet snakes somehow though.

Well, what do you know. Turns out baby chicken are an effective anti-goblin task force, when arranged in groups of thirty or more.

Is there any point in cooking when I can just feed my dwarves thousands and thousands of plump helmets?

They get happy thoughts from well-crafted meals. That's more important than you might guess.

When was the last time that was true? It seems that for years all little bonuses from stupid shit like looking at a very fine trap or eating in a legendary dining hall easily outweight even seeing their baby die.

bogeyman were literally the worst thing he's ever implemented and make a point to remove them from each world I generate. They're not fun.

Yeah, that shit don't fly man.
Certain things should utterly crush a dwarf.
It's more to help with other minor things. Like seing corpses, or their dead friends.

Welp, I chose the worst possible moment to test my minecart shipping route. Now I gotta explain to the trading caravan leader from the human kingdom why his pet mule is a sticky red smear all over the entrance hall. On the other hand, now I know what to do when a bunch of gobbos come over to throw a surprise party.

I have yet to see someone weaponizing minecarts properly. Has anyone made a minecart cannon yet?

Every happy though is good to have.
Temper tantrums are best avoided with waterfalls, good food and stupid furniture.
Except if you make an apartheid fort. Then they can live in filth.

how bout them mods

I just want to fight mammoths with a stone spear in a loincloth with my bros

How deep are deep metals?

This might help: bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119693.0

In other news, what the fuck. My mayor and captain of the guard got into a fist fight, the former being carted off to the infirmary as he's unconscious with a broken skull and missing several teeth, but I can't for the life of me find out why. Their throughts screen say nothing about this.

I recognize that name. He was some modder from the STALKER general on 4chan /vg/. He worked with some other guy to make the ZoA mod.

What a small world.

What's wrong with human outsider? There's also some bretty good crafting mods with tanning, sewing, etc. so you can be completely self-sufficient.

Mostly because it breaks immersion whenever you go to a town or hamlet and especially when you meet other npcs with metal weapons and armor. I'm looking for something that would probably make everyone an outsider or something like that.

Update on this, I'm down to level 80. I've found gold, glorious microline, 3 underground caverns and magma.

I still can't find anything for copper though.

You could probably edit the civ files so everyone lives in caves and doesn't know how to forge metal.

That was my legendary miner that first embarked

RIP Urvad

So do you guys like to generate large worlds with a relatively short amount of history, or small worlds with 1000+ years of history? I'm a fan of doing the latter.

;__;7

Neither. I always build large worlds with a long history.

I wonder, whats the longest a world has been generated for?

Unles you're using mods, the cap is always 1025.

Why?

How long does that take? I can't imagine waiting that long.

actually you can design a world with custom parameters and it can go as high as 10000 years

I suppose this works as a bump. I've started work on my recreation of a Greek bronze age palace (see ). For this, I've chosen the Mycenaean over the Minoan because of the simplicity. I've also tried to embark in the most Greek location possible, in a warm climate and with sparse vegetation and trees.

I've started from the SSE side of the palace, choosing to make the rear entrance to the courtyard first instead of starting at the main entrance which is located on the north western side of the palace. I've set up a temporary dormitory as accommodation, which will eventually be gotten rid of as I start construction on either the north eastern or south western buildings and making detached accommodations for my dwarves.

Right now as well, I've got underground farming set up just to prevent my dwarves from starving and dehydrating. There are a lot of honey bees around though, so mead production should be no problem.

I once made a gauntlet for dwarven children where they would have to dodge magma crab spittle.

I don't think a single one survived, but quite a few had insane dodge skills.

The Ettin Lata Enoreathathi has come! A giant humanoid monster with two heads.

That's a pretty cool idea, user. I have never been good at fortress construction myself, it's why I don't really play DF anymore: once I embark on a map, I freeze up because I just can't formulate a good structure. It's a problem I have in games like this that have a lot of construction and logistics.

I dunno about you but I never bother with designing reasonable stuff I just tunnel around like a madman making rooms as needed.

Wörk continues on the palace. The metalsmithing area has been built and the shallow metals have brought us in a lot of magnetite, but in keeping with gay Greek traditions I'm going to want to find ores of tin and copper for bronze.

What a riveting turn of events.

Rip in pieces

The lamb and peasant fought bravely, but it wasn't enough.

At least this gives me an opportunity to thin out the numbers from the last migrant wave that gave me 21 dwarves.

Now the wereiguana has met its match. An unarmed bone doctor accompanied by a stray dog are holding off the beast.

The wereiguana manages to get the better of the dog and tears it to pieces. The bone doctor, with sheer strength and will alone, bruises the beasts heart and punches out one of its eyes. His ferocity doesn't cease and he charges into the wereiguana.

But his uncontrollable rage got the better of him and put him into a vulnerable position. The wereiguana immediately takes hold and doesn't let go.

The wereiguana went on to attack an innocent ostrich, a water buffalo and a very jewish looking trader, but on seeing the ragtag militia storming out from behind the curtain wall of the palace the cowardly beast changed forms and ran away.

Did they ever add an ability to send dwarves on expeditions or some shit?

Things always got boring after I cleared out a good home, and I never felt right abandoning a fortress so I could explore it's ruins in adventure mode.

Toady has stated that his end game is adventure mode and fort mode coming together to form one ultimate autist simulator.

However no, not yet at least.
You can have quite a bit of fun though in Adventure with abandoned bases if you build it around levers that collapse structures, flood areas and open up entrances to caverns.

Also you can retire a fort without abandoning it, so you could possibly do all those things with a fort with living dwarves doing their thing.

next update will have the ability to send dorfs on quests in fort mode, and for tales to be told of their exploits when/if they return.

REEE

is it something you actually have any control over, or is it just you send them out they do random shit and report back?

For fuck's sake, even at embark it's slow as fuck. What the hell do I do, guys?

Don't know yet unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure you can command them to be sent out.

Play an earlier version that wasn't bloated as fuck, or wait until CPU that can run the game becomes affordable for you.

user I'm sorry but human beings can't live for 200 years.

What? But I really want to be there when DF comes out of alpha.

Best you can do is retire your fort, make an adventurer then take your fort's military as companions and go genocide goblins

This is Toady's lifework, he doesn't plan to be done with it anytime soon.

I have an I7, even at high pops and caverns I can run the game fine.
Especially since its multi thread now, remove caverns, don't embark near moving water, or evil biomes with clouds.

Don't know what else to suggest but even my shitty lenova laptop I bought 4 years ago for work could run Dwarf Fort relatively well with 100 population.

I stopped keeping track of this game for a while - when is it scheduled to finally ditch the ASCII graphics and go isometric?

Never.

But it seems the logical way to go at some point. It's why ripoffs like rimworld are successful - it looks like ass and the UI is shit

Download a fan-made tileset, there's dozens.

Dear god, hotkeys. The horror.

Tilesets are like painting ass a different colour. You can create a panorama on there, even incorporate the butthole into the painting, but at the end of the day, it's still an ass.

There's like twenty menus and submenus for everything, each of which can only be accessed by said hotkey. It takes a long while to memorise all this, and without memorising it, your ability to play is limited as there's just no alternative. You can't click it with a mouse, for example. That objectively makes it a worse UI than in, say, Rimworld, where you sit down and get the hang of how to do stuff in ten minutes.

The reason you can enjoy mechanics like dwarf fort is because it uses a display which takes the bare minimum resources to display shit.

It takes a few hours at most to learn everything. Hotkeys are much faster when you get used to it, placing 300 chairs and tables would be absolute agony with a mouse.
Essentially you're complaining that a faster but slightly harder to use method is inferior to a much slower and casualized method, which makes me wonder why you're shitposting in a dorffort thread instead of a Rimworld one.

I am complaining that there aren't both. Being able to do stuff by mouse and gradually learning the hotkeys would be much better, and make the game easier to pick up

It's a low priority to Toady. He said he'd complete the game before messing with the UI. So you should check back in 5 or 6 years.

The game's been in development for like 12 years and it's not even halfway done, 5-6 years to completion sounds unlikely.

So who's hyped for the update coming out soon(tm)?

A better question is who isn't, Mr. Dubs.

I've since promoted him to military commander, and managed to get a mood that made him a adamantine sword.

Which hangs in his room, since his steel pick is much more useful.

Is there a tileset that keeps the ascii, but makes the tiles square?

I don't care for having sprites, but a grid of tall rectangles is too much for me.

Wait, can you actually assign equipment to rooms, or is the pick just there because it's his off-duty weapon?
So far I've had about ten moods make me earrings, and I can't find anything useful to do with those.

It's his possession, and he has a weapon rack, I assume that's where it ended up when he stopped holding it. I might have made that up mentally at some point, honestly.

Also, my nobles wing is designed to drop 20 z-levels with a single lever.

Yes, the whole wing.

doesn't vanilla come with square ascii?

I've settled in an evil coastal biome, and so far it's been pretty uneventful. I think it's time to make things more Fun. For starters, anyone got a mod that includes Kappas, Kelpies, Krakens and other delightful aquatic dwellers?

It just takes practice. It'll become second nature eventually. Don't try tackling everything all at once. Start out with a basic fort that relies heavily on traps and bridges for defense, and gets its food primarily from farming. That's pretty straightforward and simple to get working, and when you're comfortable with that you can experiment with other industries like animals or cloth, and also arming and training a proper military.

You can turn off temperature and weather which will speed things up a bit. Those features only really affect gameplay in a few ways which you can do without, mostly. Also embark on smaller areas, 3x3 or 2x2. Smaller worlds and shorter histories may also help.

God damn it, I only just finished bedrooms for the first seven.

I don't remember the game running this bad the last time I've tried, though. Sixty dwarves on standard embark size get me frame drops every few seconds where I used to play without a hitch with 120 a year or two ago. Maybe it's some strange linux vs. windows thing?

Oh, or maybe it's that. When did Toady add in the temperature system?

I'm not sure when he added it but I think it's been in for a while. Turning off temperature messes with a few things, notably you can make mechanisms/furniture out of non-magmasafe materials and it won't burn or melt. And if you get attacked by something that breathes fire then things might not work properly. Also I think that it stops water from freezing/thawing with the seasons.

Dang, that's a little more influential than I thought. I'd rather not make mountain-life quite that easy

Of course, being able to live inside a giant ice fortress in the tundra is pretty fucking awesome.

(checked)
You can mostly work around it, by just not using materials you shouldn't when dealing with lava. But yeah, it does mess with a number of things, but for some people it might be worth it for the notable performance increase.

You can already do that if you only build aboveground.

Every fucking time, man. I think I'm gonna embark exclusively around volcanoes from now on.

Tried that a few times, bring some weapons or prepare for fun

If you're talking about magma denizens, I've never had to deal with that on account of removing all upwards access (i.e. ramps and slopes) in order to prepare it for the badass magma megaforge i'm planning. I'm not building it yet because my fort is still young and I haven't finished my planned layout yet.

Speaking of volcanoes, did you notice how every volcano site has a mountain next to the actual volcano (which is still a vertical magma pipe)? Do you think the mountain itself is intended to be the "seat" of the volcano in a future release?

I could swear the last time I went volcano-happy there were flying creatures, too.
But then it's been years, maybe I'm just making that up

Did you remember to check the biome's savagery level before embarking?