JRPG Thread

What have you been playing lately? What are some of your favorites? I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel. It does a better job of world building and fleshing out minor NPCs than Trails in the Sky and the orbment system is a bit deeper, but overall it's definitely an inferior game. It's still fun once it gets going, but that takes a very long time.

I've also been going through the SNES version of Dragon Quest V. Being limited to only three party members at time and having no party chat takes a bit of getting used to, but being free of those stupid accents makes certain plot points hit a lot harder than they did in the DS version.

I dropped Bravely Second because it's a steaming pile of shit. Bravely Default was a fluke.

I want to fuck Gala.

I'm playing WoFF, Pokemon Moon and FF7. Full casual.

is mother 3 a jrpg

What else would it be?

Started playing the DQ3 SNES remake with English patch, but wound up spanking it to doujins instead and lost all motivation.

I imagine that will happen frequently with FF15.

Gala was the objectively best choice.

it haunts me to this day…

Been playing 7th Dragon III, it's fun, the classes are neat and having multiple parties scratches my teambuilding autism, I just wish it wasn't so fucking easy. They throw so much overpowered shit at you that most of the game is a joke, I just turned it off in disgust after beating what should have been a difficult boss in one turn by using 2 EX skills (Limit breaks)

Go play a real RPG.

Honestly, I didn't even think Bravely Default was that good. It was like if Final Fantasy V was a phone game. The soundtrack was great though.

I play those too, but JRPGs are better for downtime when you just want to kick back with something comfy.

I'm playing that as well, I just beat Hypnos and am stuck in one of errand running intermissions. Failed to unlock EX attack, as my Godhand (Joestar) got btfo.

Been trying to get further into Avalon Code, or really play anything in general now that the election's over (I think I started spending more time over at Holla Forums than doing anything vidya), but it's been hard to get back into the flow of things. Should also get around to some of the other JRPGs I'd set aside for the time being.

Might be wrong since my experiences with Dragon Quest is still rather limited myself, but might the party chat still be there, but buried somewhere in the menu rather than mapped to a button or something? If memory serves, the older Dragon Quest games (and I would estimate a number of the DQ clones at the time) have stuff people normally take for granted, such as talking to an NPC or performing an action, within the menu rather than simply pressing A/X nearby what you want to interact with. Just a thought.

Nah, Dragon Quest didn't have party chat until the PS1 games.

Isn't the PS2 version better?

Though the PS2 remake might have party chat, but I haven't played that yet do to emulator issues.

Reprise is a great remake indeed, but gotta play that Snes one for nostalgia every now and then, you can even speed grind with turbo options anyway.

I see, part of me thought they might have at least had it since maybe DQIV, considering the way past entries had handled party members.

Real shame Square-Enix is so dead-set on censoring and accenting the fuck out of the games that come west these days; heard something along the lines that one of the higher ups in japan is convinced the games won't sell here without accenting, but since that's a big expensive to add on top of translation, testing, and production, they've been leery of brining stuff over after the DS ones (hence us only getting DQVII 3DS recently).

At least from what I hear if you have a Japanese Dragon Quest IV DS cart and a DS Action Replay, you can access an unaccented English translation within it. Though I might add it's not like I have either of those so I can't confirm; just going off what some anons have said before.

Playing the translation of Kyūyaku Megami Tensei the Super Famicom remake of the original NES games.

I also played through the first two NES dragon Warrior games. I personally like the simplistic yet not hand holding nature of older JRPGs, they used to be more a "open world" puzzle to figure out where to go and what to do next. Then again I actually don't mind grinding especially if the game is comfy.

Had the same reaction. Went and played 2020 afterword and it was very satisfying. Skills in general as well as EX skills are nowhere near as overpowered as VFD's. Only real downside is lack of team swapping. Meanwhile the DS game is absolute hell.

I can't believe how much I want to fuck Kumatora

Can you fug those waifus?

That's a good game fam. Takes awhile to get into. lol.

I never pictured kumatora that thick.

I have recently returned to Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. It's not as dull as I remembered it to be, actually.

Is there a JRPG like this?:

>not wanting to raise the innocent feral girl into your cock slave
gas all fags

You can kill him instantly with death magic.

Thanks. What is the name of the first one?

Terranigma

I wouldn't exactly say Terranigma has good combat. From what I remember it was basically a lackluster Zelda/Ys clone, gameplay wise.

Story is also linear, although it's pretty rare to find a non linear story in that console generation.

Still a great game though.

I was surprised to learn that Noa was 10 years old on my latest playthrough. That little tidbit slipped by me when I played the game throughout my youth.

Honestly just makes her even better.

Bravely Default was also terrible. It's literally endless eight in video game form.

She's clearly not an adult, but she doesn't look 10 to me. More like 12-14.

Did you infer that from the events of Conkram to the present time, or does it specifically say so?

Yes. I don't have any hard evidence since it's been a while, but I vividly remember them specifically saying it's been approximately one decade since the events in Conkram. Since Noa was an infant at the time, then it stands to reason she can be more more than 11 years old. She's most likely 10.

That said, it's been at least 4 years since I last played the game but I'm pretty confident about this. The revelation hit me like a ton of bricks.

While not as demanding as Ys I'd feel it's pretty active and you can have fun running and jumping around places. A lot more so than say Illusion of Gaia.

I plan on playing Persona 1 and 2 when I'm finally not busy with work-related shit and friends. Got the PSP versions, but I can never find time to sit down and savor these games without interruption.

Is there any DS games I can play on DS as well? Had a DS for years, but thought I could wait until the prices for games dropped. Instead, I can never find any games thanks to the 3DS now.

Lately, I've been playing THIS AWFUL RPG GAME.

The first Lunar Game is WAY BETTER.

Radiant Historia is great, but just get a DS2 or something.

I disagree, Eternal Blue builds off every things Silver Star Story does well and expands on it.

It's more like Spaghettinigma

I figure most people are more prone to just emulating, but I figure it might be worth mentioning that there's a number of PS1 and PS2 JRPGs on sale right now on the NA PSN.
Might have been inclined to grab Suikoden I and II (be it now or in other sales where they've been marked down even further) had Konami not opted to throw fans of most of their franchises under the bus. Also, if anyone might be a PALfag with a US PSN account for their PS3, it might be a good chance to get Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, Persona 2, Wild Arms 2 as that was never brought west beyond North America to my knowledge.

Well what do you think the DS was intended to play? In all seriousness though, there's a whole bunch of JRPGs on the system, some admittedly better than others. I can drop some ideas in a bit, but for now, as has said, Radiant Historia is a very good one.

Where I live there's still plenty of regular DS games around, it's just that about 90% of them are cart only thanks to fucking Gamestop trashing their cases and manuals a while back (they also drove the prices of complete copies up in doing so). Some of the more expensive games on the system due fall under the JRPG classification (IE: Infinite Space, though admittedly I'm not sure if that VGP reprint a while back did all that much to improve prices), but some of them are still pretty reasonable, if not downright cheap (Glory of Heracles was maybe $10 new last I checked online). Though, if it's really that big an issue where you are, maybe just get a flashcart, which has the added benefit of being able to play fan-translated games.

Get a flash cart user

Is it worth it or should I emulate for super high resolution? Anything on PSX I'd rather emulate on PC if it's 3D to have perspective correction.

How does psn for ps4 work? I tried looking up parasite eve but found out its only for ps3 and psp

PS2 games on PS4 are already in a higher resolution.

The only classic games that work on PS4 are the "improved" i.e. emulated at a higher res PS2 classics, unfortunately.

Playing FFF on PC and CS2 on the PS3.

PS4 apparently not only can't handle physical backwards compatibility of any sort (even for the PS1, something all PS2 and PS3 models were capable of), it can't even handle PS1 games digitally either. And while it's doing a bit better on the PS2 front (not sure if it's easier or harder to get working than with the PS3; heard that with the latter it caused big delays in getting some put up, if not outright being unfeasible in some cases), getting stuff like Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, and Wild Arms 3 working with it, what PS2 classics the PS3 saw can't work natively with it, leaving the system limited to what "HD" PS2 games with added trophies it's seen, and the PS4's own library.

It definitely can handle PS1 games, they just don't have an emulator for some reason. I dunno why, since if they want people to abandon the PS3 for the PS4 it would help if they could transfer their library of old games.

From what I've heard it's the best version, but I haven't played it myself yet.

Steambot Chronicles, though you don't level up like you do in most JRPGs, but instead you upgrade your mech.

Ideally, the PS4 would be fully backwards compatible, but I suspect that trying to include the PS3 on it might have caused a ridiculous launch price, the way the PS3 cost $600 at launch between the native PS3 capabilities and built in PS2 hardware. As such, there's still good reason to keep a PS3 around, whereas in the past you could upgrade the system but not lose access to the directly previous library, at least with a system's early iterations. But the lack in even having a PS1 classics section for the PS4's PSN is weird (as is the absolute lack of even PS1 physical backwards compatibility), and from what I know of it, the PS2 digital capabilities were only made/activated post launch.

Still, I assume that if/when they do make a PS1 section, people will likely have to repurchase games they already bought for use with the PS3/PSP/Vita, rather than add PS4 to the list of ability to make a single purchase and put PS1 games on any of the older systems you like as much as you want. Would probably also be the same for any PS2 classics they add that the PS3 also saw (most likely with Sony using the "HD" and trophies as justification).

Let's be honest here: the number of people interested in backwards compatibility are few.

Not a lot of people play older games, it's all about the latest triple A trash.

In most cases people just don't know about older titles. I've been trying to get some normalfags I know into them, and they usually really enjoy the games. It's crazy how little most of them know about something they're willing to spend so much money on. To a lot of them even New Vegas is old and obscure.

Selling them for cheap on PSN helps people get into them. That's why it's so baffling that the PS4 doesn't even support PS1 games.

Terranigma had great combat. After Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, Quintet had polished their Action RPG formula into a gem.

Attacking is incredibly fluid and your choice of attack is important depending on the enemy you're fighting. Not only does it affect how easily you can hit them, but how much damage is dealt.

Is there a fan translation of DQVII that changes the text size to give full names to monsters, items, spells, etc?

Nice OP.

This game feels so much better using the Wii U gamepad.

get out

How long till someone uncensors it? Can it be done?

I just got Grandia 2 on GoG. It's pretty good.

Wrong game, you're thinking this.

The image is of the original Xenoblade you retards only the filename is X.

My only experience with Xenoblade games is a disc I've had for years that doesn't work. I no longer know where it is. I think the case was purple.

Ha yes it is. And for some strange reason I didn't switch to JPN audio and actually liked the dub.

Grandia 2 is a great little gem.

I've had some luck with that myself, at least with one of my friends. I wouldn't exactly call him a "normalfag" but he sure doesn't tend to branch out and play more niche stuff in terms of vidya if left to his own devices. I usually have to show him something myself before he'll get real interested.

Say what one might about Konami, they at least finally got Suikoden II up there and let it go on sale often, which certainly beats dropping $150 or so on it for the average person. Meanwhile, for whatever reason, Namco seems to act like there's no market at all for Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia to be digitally rereleased out here, despite Tales becoming more popular as of recent years (though to be fair, I don't think any of the PS1 titles are even on the PSN in Japan).

To be fair, maybe he means playing Xenoblade Wii on a Wii U with the gamepad? That whole post admittedly confuses me. Also, if he does mean Xenoblade Wii, as far as I know that one's completely uncensored.

I'd think that having a new system be backwards compatible with the directly previous one would be a boon for everyone, since you can trade your system in but still have access to your old games to play on it while waiting for the new library to get to a better point. Still, there's not much point in buying a new system at launch if you ask me, when there's more the promise of games to come rather than already having a whole bunch if you were to wait and buy it further down the line (which also has the benefit that it should be cheaper).

If that was the case, I'd think that there wouldn't be enough of a market for Nintendo and Sony to have the VC or PSN rereleases. And even looking at more niche titles like JRPGs, if memory serves, Suikoden II was even ranked as the top PSN game the month it came out on there.

No, wait it was a Xenosaga.

Isn't this the game everyone is mad about this one girl not getting Shulk's dick?

They have Tales of Destiny 2 and Eternia, but only PSP versions.

Japanese PSN is weird though. You'd think they would have all the Japanese games that US PSN has, and thensome, but they don't. They don't even have PS2 games on PS4 yet.

I have to wonder if it would be possible for them to port the Anniversary Edition to the PSN. I can understand why they might not be keen on putting the PS2 version up there as I hear it wasn't a particularly good port, but it's odd seeing how the PSN has Grandia and then jumps to Grandia III, bypassing Grandia II entirely out here (probably how PAL Wild Arms fans feel, as they've never gotten WA2). And hell, in Japan they have all four Grandia games on their PSN.

Kind of. A fair amount of anons don't exactly like the way Melia was treated, with the "not all of us can be winners" just kicking her while she's down. Still, not the worst case of that I've seen. At least for Melia if she were to possibly get with Shulk, it wouldn't destroy the space-time continuum like it would for a girl in another game I know.

Huh, they have Destiny 2 and Eternia, but don't have the PSP port of Rebirth up there? And yeah, I've done some looking into the JRPGs on the NA, PAL, and Japanese PSNs before. PAL suffers badly as expected, but sometimes the Japanese one misses out on stuff that North America and PAL saw rereleases of, and I'm not particularly sure why. Maybe a difference in the aftermarkets between there and the west? If the original versions of various games are more readily accessible and people more prone to keeping their older systems around, it could mean less demand for rereleases out there, or something. Just a thought.

Chrono/Xeno has some great shared lore.

They have that too.

Why is dragon quest 7 so long and boring ?

airy needs a dicking

That game had such a fantastic combat system. I wonder why more people didn't try to rip it off. Grandia 1 is also really good and fairly easy to emulate. The story is much more lighthearted, but it has enough personality to keep it interesting.

Just Cross or Trigger as well? I know Lucca makes a cameo in Xenogears, but I didn't think that was part of the lore.

Fans had extremely high expectations for it because it was the first Dragon Quest game on a new console, so the devs wanted to make something that wouldn't make them feel like they had been ripped off. For better or for worse, they took the quantity over quality approach to achieve that.

If you mean being able to visually see approaching turns and be able to push enemy turns back (and them you), Wild Arms 5 has something like that with visible turn order up to ten turns in advance, and the DP/EP system to push back/negate pushback to the next turn (gives the Violator a worthwhile secondary effect in the right hands). Just a thought though; admittedly I still need to play Grandia so I'm just going off what I recall hearing about its combat system in the past and I can't say personally how similar those elements really are.

In general though, there's a lot of various mechanics in various JRPGs that seem like a shame they didn't get picked up by other series/devs once the one they were from ran its course, or even by other games within the same series (I've seen how Breath of Fire fans lament that only BoFIII used the Dragon Gene system). I know there's something to be said for a particular game or series having a perk to the gameplay specific to it, but still.

Not sure if he's the same guy, but I know there's some user that keeps trying to push that the Chrono series and Xeno games are same universe or successors to each other, or something.

That's some MatPat level of retard

I didn't know Ogre Battle 64 got an actual English release on the 64. Feels like some Berenstain shit. Could've swore it ended up in 64DD purgatory.

It's one of the best games on the N64, i still have that cartridge around, thank you game goddesses

any translation issues with the original release or should I go for a fans' trans.

of course. you can romance everyone except Miku

it's more about memeing Cross out of existence.

I've been playing Legend of Dragoon on a emulator recently. I don't know what it is about these older JRPGs but I always find them so comfy and playing through them gives me a real sense of adventure.

I've got Legend of Legaia lined up for after I finish this, has anyone got any other suggestions? I've seen Dark cloud and Rogue galaxy availible on the PS4 store but I have no idea if they are worth getting.

I think it would be dumb as well. I mean, using Tales as an example, that's got cameos scattered throughout it of stuff both in-series (very few of the games actually being directly related) and out with shout-outs and appearances of character/symbols from other Namco franchises. For example, I wouldn't say Tales and Legend of Valkyrie are same universe just because Valkyrie is a bonus boss in Eternia. But then again, maybe I forget exactly what he was getting at as far as how they relate. There might be more ground on the front of them being thematic successors or something between Chrono and Xeno, but Xenogears and Xenosaga are still on my backlog, so I can't personally say how well they relate.

I've seen that around for a while, both physical and VC. It's real enough. That Japanese box art is a lot better than the US one.

Going to toss a recommendation out there for the Wild Arms series (>>11246588 if you want more information) and Shadow Hearts series (got something similar to what I made up there for Wild Arms for this but it's not done yet; my friend who was supposed to help edit it is being really lazy; I can post the WIP version if you want though) if you haven't given them a go yet as I really enjoyed both of them.

What, now post links can't be too close to parenthesis? Trying again.

Dark Cloud is good, but Dark Cloud 2 is even better.

The US release of Dark Cloud is fucked with awful translation and cut content.
Dunno about the EU release.

First I've heard of that, though admittedly I got into the PS2 pretty damn late. What was cut?

Every dungeon has a reverse harder area with stronger enemies and rarer loot. In the US release you cannot visit the reverse area of certain dungeons because the item to access them cannot be acquired. To compensate for this they added a random 99 floor dungeon after the game is completed.
Also the US release has fuck tons of translation errors with nonsense dialogue.

Xenogears pisses me off. 30 hours in, and I still feel like barely anything has even happened. Filler after filler, and the text speed makes me want to kill myself.

That's not cut content, it's just a bug. The translation is pretty bad though, they can't even keep some names consistent.

I was going to ask what would be the purpose of cutting that shit in the first place, but if it's a bug, that might make some sense. Though, if one find a bug prior to release, I'd think the best thing to do would be fix it directly, rather than trying to add new content to make up for it.

Any idea who handled the translation work? Considering Sony themselves is the owner of the franchise, I'd guess it might have been an internal team, but I suppose maybe some small third-party translator could also have been involved too (in which case, that certainly wouldn't spell good things for whatever company they were). Does Dark Cloud 2 at least improve on the translation end?

I don't think the post-game dungeon had anything to do with the bug, it's just something they added to the international release. Level-5 did that a lot back then.

And yeah, the translation of 2 is a lot better.

nice trips

Thanks, i'll give them a look.

Oh. So kind of like how Tales of the Abyss saw additional content added for the US PS2 release (It also saw some amount of bug fixing, though if memory serves a few like "go anywhere" are still in effect) that Japan (and Europe, given they got fucked out of a release as happens so often) didn't see until the 3DS port?

Something rang a bell in my mind and I went to go check to confirm. Apparently Jeremy Blaustein handled the translation for Dark Cloud 2 (he also did Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill 2, Shadow Hearts, and Shadow Hearts: Covenant, among other games, if memory serves). I can see how that would be a step up, if whoever was doing the translation work for Dark Cloud 1 was lacking in experience or something (could also be a case of not everyone involved with the translation being on the same page as to what names/spelling and terminology they're using).

No problem. What the hell, might as well drop these here too if it helps build interest for you, even though the second one is still me having gone on a massive spergfest over tips, mechanics, and Q&A and as such is walls of text.

I don't think Japan ever got the additions to Dark Cloud that the US got, but they got a Director's Cut version of Rogue Galaxy after the improved US release. And apparently it wasn't just the dungeon they added:

Wow, I wonder if the Japanese audience was annoyed they didn't wind up getting that stuff as a Director's Cut, the way they did for Rogue Galaxy.

I guess the game wasn't popular enough to warrant it. It's a shame that the most complete version of the game is marred by bugs and a bad translation.

Probably stuff like localization induced bugs that have led towards various companies opting to just send the translated scripts to the developers for proper insertion into the game proper. Too bad not all of them are willing to.

Thanks, i've heard other people here talk about shadow hearts and it sounded pretty good, i've been meaning to get around to it eventually and will probably play this after i'm done with Legend of Dragoon.

i used to spin arround like taz

member Breath of Fire 3? i member

As is stated there, the series technically begins with Koudelka for the PS1, though admittedly it's bit of a rough start (and while connected, with reception at the time for Koudelka being rather poor from the "professional" reviewers, The PS2 games don't require you to play it, though there's some returning plot/character elements for those that have). Still, since you can emulate PS1 games at the very least, you can cut the loading times down a good bit (I have the game as both a physical copy and eboot, and the digital format cuts the loading by maybe half or more in my estimate). Unfortunately, none of the games have seen so much as a rerelease (be it Greatest Hits, HD collection, or PSN digital rerelease), and while I'm pretty sure all the PS2 ones are at the very least playable on an emulator, they might be prone to graphical issues.

On that note, I'd swear I've heard somewhere in the past that people drew some comparisons between the PS2 entries' combat and Legend of Dragoon's, albeit that you can actually see when to hit the inputs via the Judgment Ring. Haven't played Legend of Dragoon myself yet though (mostly due to hearing pretty mixed things about it), so take that as you will.

I'll probably start with Koudelka even if it's a bit rough, I always like starting at the beginning of a series usually. As for Legend of Dragoon i'd recommend trying it if you don't have anything else you want to play at the moment. I'm only partway into part 2 of 4 right now and while I wouldn't call it an incredible game so far I am enjoying myself whenever I play it.

Picked up Dragon Quest 7 on my 3DS, can't wait for the DQ8 release, I love that game.
Best JRPG soundtracks imo.

It's mainly the mix of elements that seemed to leave a bad taste for some, and Kikuta had to compromise with his team on the combat (he wanted something more actiony, but got overruled for turn-based with grid; makes some sense as Sacnoth had a number of former Square employees). But yeah, if you want to get the most out of the series, you should at least give it a try from there, as it's the first in both release and chronological order. Just don't write off the later ones with Koudelka's combat winds up a turn-off.

I played Grandia 2 anniversary edition on an old laptop (Intel i3, 3Gb ram, Radeon 5470) so just give it a try. You'll be amazed at what a toaster can do with Japanese games!

Congratulations, you got the worst possible version of the game.

They're not in the same universe, they're just thematically linked. JK Lavos is a fragment of Deus. Jenova may be as well.

Care to elaborate on that chummer? or recommend a better one?

Holla Forums hates the localization because of accents and cutesy names, the 3DS version was trimmed down so it isn't infinite hours, and the music is a midi soundfont instead of actual orchestra (but the jap version has orchestra).

anyone knows some good translation?

Once I finish my run of fun in morrowind I'll be getting back to Lennus II on the SNES since I beaten the first one a while back (Paladin's Quest). Then its checking out anymore SNES RPGs.

Started Growlanser a few days ago, PSP version. Pretty fucking good so far, I'm like 10-12 hours in.

Good waifus.

I might be one of those people. I don't think they're in the same universe or anything like that, but I think that Chrono Cross and Xenogears compliment each other really well thematically and since they were written by the same guy around the same time, that might have been intentional.

IIRC, all of those filler stories were going to tie together at the end, but Square drastically cut the game's budget during development to give more money to FF8, so the devs had to come up with a ass-pull ending on the fly and left a lot of the loose ends floating in the either. Just wait until you get to the second disc where it becomes a VN.

Try Rogue Galaxy too. It's basically Dark Cloud 2 in space.

I need to give Growlanser 1 a try. I loved 2 and 3, and Wayfarer of Time is one of the best games I've ever played. All the more reason to learn moon.

ok, it is maybe over a year now and these 'work in progress' never got removed. WHEN

That game was massively disappointing>
. The battle system is fucking fantastic, but everything else except Jasper's abs is sub par.

Chrono Cross' second half is essentially a second draft of Solaris from Gears and first draft of the psycho-drama that would become the U-DO subplot in Saga.

This. I never finished Rogue galaxy because the story and general mechanics were just so unengaging I was falling asleep after several hours in and I was sick of grinding out weapons for combining.

There was.

The battle system isn't that good. For regular battles the best strategy is to just spam the magic that hits all enemies. At least the bosses get a little more creative with the platform shot etc. though.

Mentioned earlier in the threads that I've been hoping my friend will get around to helping edit/trim them since he's got training directly in writing, as some people have said before it's too wall-of-textish, but he's been really lazy about doing so. I'll get on his case a bit tonight. Believe me, I want them done myself, but every time I try my own hand, it winds up about the same.

Dragon Quest VIII isn't an excuse for wasting resources with adding in accents the original work didn't have, but the reason people don't complain as much there is because the game is voiced. Text-only accenting makes the scripts harder to read, especially if one doesn't directly have English as a primary language, thus actively hampering enjoyability.

If you ask me, accents should generally be used in two cases: When the original script for a particular character had accenting/Engrish (ToV's Yeager being a good example; he speaks gratuitous English in the Japanese script, so German was substituted for a similar effect in the western release), or if the game is directly set on Earth (Ricardo from Shadow Hearts: From the New World has a Spanish flair to his English, being Mexican).

Considering how much I've been seeing people (justifiably) complain about the spell names Dragon Quest's western versions keeps using, I can't help but think that a custom spell name system like some of the Wild Arms games had would at least alleviate matters on that end, and let players choose what to call them. Though, if that did happen, it wouldn't shock me if Square's western branch would get butthurt that people would have an out from what they call spells here and find a way to disable the option.

Ricardo was cucked by a dead chick.

I don't recall Edna ever expressing much interest in anyone else but him (to the point all her Malice-jacked self initially wanted was to find Ricardo and kill anyone that was hurting him). More that both of them got fucked over by that rival Irish mobster being asspained that he couldn't bend her to his will.

I'm not a native english speaker, and I have absolutely no problems with the accents, written or otherwise.

She got made out with by Lady.

Well, maybe you're lucky then, just going by what I've heard some English-secondary anons say in the past about them. Still though, it's a bad move on Square's part, both from the point of consistently annoying your audience who have been telling them for a while that standard English would be preferable, as well as wasting extra money when a non-accented script would suffice better.

True, but there's a few issues with that.
>Edna was either dead or very close to death at that point (I'd have to watch the scene again to confirm which), and a corpse can't really consent either way to what's done with it.
>The way the Kiss of Malice works might vary. While Killer most certainly became Lady's immediate thrall, Edna's devotion is still entirely toward Ricardo and her brother afterward, and the most she seems to feel towards Lady is some amount of gratitude at being given a short amount of time left to try to help her brother and her lover. Shania is a similar case in that rather than becoming a thrall after being given the kiss, she still hates Lady and if anything becomes even more aggressive in wanting to kill her, due to knowing her own time left is short.
>Lady herself may not see anything romantic or emotional in the act of the kiss itself, given how aloof from things she is. In most cases she seems to just do what instinct tells her, which would be to make a potential thrall, with the kiss being the vector for it. With Edna though, she might have done it more out of some odd sense of pity as opposed to just wanting to convert.
That's my own take on it though; just strikes me that there's little to do with romance on Lady's own end of thing, especially given that she's practically emotionless already.

So you're positing 1. it's not cucking if you're dead 2. that Lady has Malice Toxoplamosis.

The circumstances just make for a weird argument. I'd say it comes down to a mixture of Lady being both more and less than human, the fact that a corpse can't decide what happens with it of its own natural power, and intent of action. Having lost any real higher level of cognition (when she transferred her willpower to her brother), Lady is much more of a highly dangerous beast in human skin that wields superhuman powers, lives with only a singular focus, and expresses possession of very little in the way of emotion (confusion being one that crops up a few times, such as in the aftermath of Uyuni). Her only intent seems to be to open the Gate, and acts in a way to try to further progress towards it, mostly doing some globetrotting between ruins, killing anything that is deemed a potential threat, and trying to make anyone that particularly catches her interest into a thrall to help protect her like Killer does. She doesn't seem to acknowledge stuff like love or lust (really, Killer might be the closer thing to a cuck in that he's clearly obsessed and driven to do so much for a creature that will never give him love in return), and merely keeps Killer and that Igor looking guy (I forget his name at the moment) around since the former is pretty much her loyal bodyguard and the latter isn't deemed a potential threat to her. I'd also assume that if the act of infecting a target didn't require a kiss on the mouth, she would never bother with kissing anyone and use whatever method was necessary instead.

Her kissing of Edna is an oddball though; as a human she wasn't fighter like Killer or Shania and doing so really serves no purpose to Lady's goal as far as recruiting potential guards goes. Closest I can make of it is maybe some sort of lingering sense of pity for someone in a situation somewhat like her own (In that both cared for their siblings deeply and had left life unfinished), which would leave administering the kiss more akin to mouth-to-mouth CPR of a sort than anything of romantically related intent.

Again, just my take on it. Really though, this is like arguing about whether a paramedic giving someone the breath of life is cucking the not-breathing person's lover (as there's nothing sexual or romantic meant by the action). Except in this case, the paramedic is some sort of animal, and kind of a primitive one at that.

True, the story isn't good at all. I still enjoyed it because I have a soft spot for anything about space travel.

Fucking around with weapons and building new ones felt sooooo fucking good in Dark Cloud.

It was like an energy channel for pure autism.

I didn't mind BD until the doing the same things over and over, at that point I lost my patience with the game really fucking quick.

The PC release, or through emulation/console?

Been playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth lately. Never really got into the whole Pokemon thing, but I figured it's about time to see what this monster hunting/fighting thing was all about.

Pretty decent so far, but the whole ABI only being raised by Digivolving/DeDigivolving is a shit. I guess it kind of makes sense if you've got it on the PSVita and are going for the replay value of battle other faggots, but for the time being I had to break the game with EXP boosting monsters using exp boosting equip devices. Otherwise, it's pretty fun, and a higher quality of franchisement than I would have figured. I went into it setting the bar low, though, expecting a Go-Bots tier franchise to Pokemon's Transformers.

Just finished Final Fantasy VI, and playing Chrono Trigger via PSP emu also.

None. I was gonna buy FFVIII off Steam but I read the negative comments and found out about the need to make an SE account and the key binding bullshit and decided to buy Terraria for myself and a copy of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus for a friend to see if knowing how the characters he likes act would change his interest in them.

TORNADO FLAAAAME!

Head of localization.

I got that shit from Blockbuster and couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go after the first town.

The auto generated dungeons, Monster Transformations being shit, and the areas of the Spheda minigame where you need to channel the spirit of Captain America hamper my nostalgia.

Anyone who starts playing and beats the game, don't sell your items, you can use them for something around 3 floors in the Zelmite mines.

I've been wondering if this is the only occasion of text being rewritten into feminist propaganda.
Also, I heard they hate it for it having been fucked in a way that the game has a slow down which happened to DQ8 when they forced the orchestral soundtrack in.

I wonder whether this line reflected the original in any way, or was just localization dickery.

I don't even remember that line in the persona remake for the psp

To be fair, it's one negotiation line among many, and easy to miss. The main reason I remember it myself is because Dribbler is my favourite demon.

I'll try to remember that for whenever it is that I get around to it.

Could be a question to ask Mato, since he does various line comparisons on his site in his free time (when he's not busy with professional translation work these days, anyhow). You might have to find a screenshot from the Japanese original though for him to compare against (providing those makes things easier), but if it's a randomized line that might make things difficult.

Just started playing Suikoden 2 for the first time last week and managed to not get spoiled on anything.

I really didn't expect the game to continue after killing Luca, but I didn't expect to be fighting him so early either. I was prepared to throw a shitfit if it just ended there without explaining what the fuck happened with the sacrifices in muse.
Also Neclord has a bitching theme, fought him last night.

I recently finished the Dragon Quest trilogy that was on the DS. It was alright. There were a few questionable moments.

I also don't understand how 5 had such a massive sidequest that spans the entire game and to finish you need to beat the hardest boss in the game with a turn limit, and then offers no reward whatsoever.

I have played dozens upon dozens of JRPGs over the years, and the only ones that aren't shit are Tactical RPGs and Action RPGs.

Why are nips so terrible at making good games?

So I got the Sega Genesis collection for the PS3 and it comes with all four Phantasy Star games. I keep hearing that the translation is borked on a couple of them but I really want to play them on this instead of emulating the games for a better translation because I just spent $9 on it.

How bad are the translations for any of these?

Yeah, fuck those guys, I'm glad I got my physical copies.

The first and second games have such basic stories that it probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference, most people don't even consider the third to be worth playing. The translation in the 4th seemed alright when I played it, but then again i didn't get very far before drifting to other games in the collection. (I did beat the first and played through a large section of the second before losing my save on accident)

What ever happened to random encounters?
On-map enemies you have to run into to battle bug the shit out of me especially for grinding.

I just started Trails of Cold Steel II. I really like the way it builds off of Trails of Cold Steel's mechanics, but I wish they would have let you carry more things over from the first game since it takes place almost immediately afterwards. I Rean at around level 65 at the end of the Trails of Cold Steel and he was back to level 40 at the start of II.

*I had

Because there are also people that instead hate random encounters. I don't mind either method as long as the game has items that can increase or decrease the encounter rate.

Fucking weirdos, how do they expect to grind effectively if you have to leave an area and come back just to get that precious EXP?
The only game I didn't mind random encounters in was Grandia 2 and that was because the enemies were every where.

Well, I do know there's some translation related patches for PSI and II, but I'm not sure if it's just minor corrections or full retranslations. Better question might be to try to figure out how good the port job itself was; heard with some of the prior Phantasy Star ports, like the GBA collection, there were save data issues or something.

Doesn't shock me that much given how vehemently against random encounters some people get; not sure if that's just as big an opinion in Japan as it is in the west. Still, I don't mind encounters being on-screen or random, provided with random encounters the encounter rate is balanced decently, or offers tools to work around it (the Encounter Skip/Migrant Level systems in WA2, 3, and ACF, for example).

Does the game give any reasoning for the drop in levels? I mean, usually I'd assume that prior level data would be something a game would carry over, unless there's a plot excuse for it (IE: Tales of Xillia 2, where the dispersal of the schism at the end of the prior game makes the combat growth enhancing Lillium Orbs screw up as a side effect, prompting the returning characters to be at much lower levels/without much of their artes/skills when they join in the sequel and are equipped with the new Allium Orbs as a replacement).

Either that, or that base level 40 would be the default level if you didn't have save data to transfer.

The main reason they give is that the main hero was in a coma(while inside of a giant robot) for a month and he's just out of shape. The thing is all of the other characters I had in 60s are around 40 or 50 now as well.

All you get from the data transfer is some bonus items depending on how well you did in the first game.

Xenogears is done. Parasite Eve is next. You are a pirate.

question: do the mobile ports/remakes of dragon quest games share the same translations as the Nintendo versions?

I've been trying to figure out which games in the series have playable English versions unfucked by treehouse.

What, you expected Square to pay out more money to change shit back to normal?
Only good thing about the IOS ports is that they put the party chat back into DQIV.

Also, they weren't given to Treehouse, they were given to Plus Alpha, Shloc LTD, and I think 8-4. I don't know who did DQVII 3DS; did anyone here beat that yet?

Hell yeah, this series is great. I've almost finished the story of the third one and it's amazing. I would have liked to have more anime cutscenes, though. The quality of the drawings in the openings were top tier.

Here some OC I've made.

The second and third were definitely my favorite. I didn't mind WA4 that much, though it is a step down (going in with low expectations based on what I'd seen anons say and a cheap copy might have helped somewhat), and WA5 was a step up from WA4.

The series on the whole was surprisingly light on anime FMVs, with not much beyond the openings for !, 2, 3, ACF, and 4, though those were certainly good. WA2 and 3 also have that "ending" FMV of stills (Lilka and Anastasia for WA2's respective discs, Virginia for WA3) that were almost like an "end of episode" credits thing in a way, and Atomic Arms was a really neat mix of CG and anime (I think that was what it was, anyhow).

Why is it considered a step down? Is it gameplay related, story related or both?

Considering the high quality of the openings I thought they would have used them more in the games (maybe not so heavy like in Lunar, but still).
Yeah when I saw it the first time it looked like CG, it was a pleasant surprise to have.

Despite knowing (and hoping) that JRPGs in general have some bombastic finales to make the journey all worth it, I just can't muster enough motivation to finish the game despite having wasted too many time on it already. I don't really know why people consider this game so great

Parasite Eve is really good though, unlike other Square RPGs the plot stays on point and doesn't get off track, and the combat is pretty good too

This webm brings up so many questions
How did she fit that up her skirt?
Why is Siegfried Nightmare?
Or is it Why is Nightmare Siegfried?
What are ARMs?
How does Siegfried know about them?
Is Soul Edge an ARM?
Is that machinegun an ARM?
Am I an ARM? Yes I am in fact
Why does he have nanomachines?
Why is Siegfried not acting like either Siegfried or Nightmare?
Where the fuck are they even?
What am I doing with my life?
How much damage is 3266?
Why did she lose despite dealing that much damage?
What is behind that door?
What is up those stairs?
Why are they fighting?
What attack did Siegfried do at the end?

She has parts of a furry vagina put into her own

Guessing you've never played Wild Arms 3, or maybe Wild Arms in general? Going to try to answer some of these despite needing to get to sleep (going on vacation; thread will likely be dead when I get back). Could be wrong though since it's been a while since I played. I'm still going to spoiler tag shit on the off chance you want to play and just learn for yourself in time (which I'd recommend; it's a really good, but long entry in the series).
Maya is pretty much an otaku able to emulate the characters of her favorite novels. Even her "regular" form is her own take on the heroine of "Disaster Girl of the Wasteland", Calamity Jane (who was also a character in Wild Arms 1/ACF).
The resemblance is certainly uncanny.
Because Media.Vision wanted to pay homage?
Depends on the game what the acronym itself means, though usually they also refer to the guns the characters use. WA3 was actually the first game in the series where every playable character was an ARMslinger.
It's extremely likely he's a incarnation of sorts of Zeikfried (misromanization) from WA1/ACF, though how that works is complicated; ARMs in WA1/ACF were a type of demonic weapon if I remember correctly.
Glumzamber (or however the fuck it's spelled; it varies from translator to translator) is a recurring weapon throughout the series (namely WA1/ACF, WA3, and WA5), but here is simply reminiscent of Soul Edge's design. Whether or not it's an ARM isn't confirmed, be it WA3 or in WA1/ACF.
Given the way it and Maya's other weapons all have a model name in similar fashion to Virginia, Jet, Clive, Gallows, and Janus' weapons, chances are very high. She actually has multiple weapons on her, two of which having names in similar fashion and the potential all the rest are too. However, it's also possible she may actually wield no actual ARMs, and they're yet another physical manifestation of her autism.
A weapon to surpass Metal Demons.
If memory serves, everyone has nanomachines in WA3. They just don't usually know it, and some characters are able to manipulate them.
Because he's based on Zeikfried from WA1/ACF, the leader of the Quarter Knights. This time he doesn't have his mom around to try to one-up him.
If memory serves, Deus Ex Machina, a place reminiscent of either the Photosphere or Malduke (mistranslation: Marduk) from Wild Arms 1/ACF. I forget which exactly.
Being inquisitive.
Respectable, but not enough.
Siegfried has plot power at that point and can use the Teardrop (an item from, you guessed it, WA1/ACF) to shrug off damage. It takes stealing the Teardrop, beating him in personal combat, and then after he merges with a wyvern, the party shooting the fuck out him in a biomechanical dragon (really) that can turn into a fighter jet (yes, really) to finally put him down. Also, she's not the game's protagonist, her rival Virginia is.
More.
More.
Maya is a greedy bitch (much like Jane before her) and feels the Teardrop is hers to have, but is also pissed at Siegfried and willing to work with her rival Virginia to try to fuck him up. Siegfried wants to turn Filgaia into a planet fit for demons, which involves making it unfit for humans. Filgaia is mere years from being uninhabitible in that game anyhow.
I want to say it's Sieg Impulse.

Again, it's been a while so I might be wrong on some of this. Play the game.

Bit of both. The combat is different, though not exactly bad: what it is, is unbalanced (WA5 worked to fix that). It's more in the way of the vibe and themes of the game. While Wild Arms has always been a mixture of sci-fi, fantasy/supernatural, and western in varying percentages of each, Wild Arms 4 goes pretty far on the sci-fi end compared to prior games, and it wouldn't surprise me if the fans at the time were really hoping for another heavier western one like Wild Arms 3. There's also no overworld this time (something WA5 brought back). Thematically it also seems to rely on making adults out as bad people. Yulie and Arnaud are kind of bland too, and Jude's mainly used as the dorky sheltered boy that has to have standard things explained to him because he's never been to Filgaia's surface prior; Raquel's pretty decent though, and I give her a lot of credit in that there's a number of moments she could have bitched Jude out for innocently saying something to/about her that could be interpreted badly, but she acts very understanding, if slightly irritated, instead. She's also hilariously overpowered with the right build. Not bad for a sick girl.

Again, I had my fun with it and I can't quite dislike it (it's nowhere near my favorite though), but that might be because I had very low expectations from what I'd heard from fellow anons, and only paid about half what it was going for at the time for a physical copy; basically had a "might as well see how this shitshow is" moment and it came off as better than my low expectations.

How's WoFF? Is it worth the price?

This is an odd request, but what are some of the less notable JRPGs from the PS1 era? Like, what are some super generic, fairly obscure, decent at best/shit at worst games from around that time?

what is it you fags like in your RPGs (rocket propelled grenades)

other than the story, that's a universal thing

It's on the vita. It's free.

Threads of Fate is one I don't see discussed often, then there's Guardian's Crusade which I'm pretty sure I played once as a kid

I never got myself to play the first Final Fantasy, it's a pretty fun game, actually. Only problems is that I have to google the skills and see if they're not fucked up (like LOK2)
My party is Fighter-Black Belt-Black Mage-Red Mage but later I'm doing an all fighter walkthrough

I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel too, and holy fuck the bosses are ridiculously hard compared to the random encounters. I've even had to retry a few of the bosses (most notably the Stone Golem before the boss in the Ancient Quarry - that thing was nearly invincible).

Story wise it's fine so far (just finished Chapter 3); I like the focus on nobility and class conflict, but some of the characters' voice actors make it impossible to take seriously. I'm obviously talking about Sara, Alisa, and especially Millium. The other voice actors though are a breath of fresh air in JRPGs that for some reason do not have dual audio - Machias, Emma, Fie, and Gaius have especially talented VAs.

My only real complaint, aside from the ear-grating VAs (Millium), is the repetitive "MY TURN" every time a character has a turn in battle or is switched to on the overworld, and the lack of a decent area healing move; Breath does almost nothing and is nearly worthless on hard mode. I would like the option of area healing especially since so many bosses have AoE attacks; even if it cost a shitload of EP.

You seriously can not die.

Wait until you get to the shit they throw at you in the sequel.

Red mages kinda suck though, you never get anything past lvl7 magic (which you only get 2 spells of), your best weapon is the fucking sun sword (outclased by pretty much any lategame sword), and you can't equip shit for armor. I'll give him versatility but to call him overpowered is dumb.

That's what I'm doing after

Thousand arms if you're into waifuing and blacksmithing along with your generic action.

Things like this make me realize the future of JRPGs are basically professionally produced, huge Hentai games. Heck, even in some hentai RPGs you can end up actually playing the game for thirty minutes at a time before something particularly lewd happens.

I hardly ever see Kartia mentioned, though that is more like a VN with a SRPG tacked on. The story/music/art is good though, the characters are drawn by Yoshitaka Amano of FF fame.

It's not overpowered, it's just unkillable.

so what JRPG do you think has the best/most fun turn based battle system?

Albert Odyssey for the Saturn. There's a version of it on the Super Famicom too, but I don't think that even has a fan translation.

The worst part is that half of them don't even have any real weaknesses so you're just chipping away at their HP for 15-20 minutes until they finally go down.

That's why I turn the VA off whenever I can in JRPGs. The stories are already a bit tough to take seriously a lot of the time and bad voice acting just makes it even more difficult.

The guy who voices Rean was actually here in one of the Falcom threads last year and did an impromptu AMA and posted some audio files of him quoting Cold Steel The Hedgehog as Rean. He seemed like a cool guy.

Wait until you get Eliot's "Holy Song". That makes the game significantly easier, at least when he's playable.

The Grandia and Lunar games have really good battle systems, and the Trails games are fun once you get to mess with the high level orbments, if only to experiment with different ways to break the game.

Maybe Legend of Legaia? I was a big fan of the martial-arts based combat. Though it never did anything particularly noteworthy in terms of renovating the back and forth flow of turn-based combat, just pummeling the shit out of everything and discovering new comboable arts was extremely fun.

Objectively speaking though, the Mario RPG's likely had some of the best turn based system this world will ever see.

You get better aoe heals later on, using Emma and Elliot are also crucial to not getting your shit kicked in

JRPG's are not hand-crafted masterpieces.

They are garbage imitations of Tabletop western RPGs and are poor cultural derivatives of content that trickles down to the east, barely meeting a greater sense of functionality and interoperability between gameplay, lore, setting, history, and enemy A.I with the most important aspect being replay value.

Stop funding happpy go lucky violin worlds made on feelings.

this. Videogames are bad and if you like them, you like shit.

I've seen some weird shit on this site but this is on a whole new level. Bravo.

A lot.

I've been trying to avoid JRPGs for awhile because I burned out after two years of playing mostly JRPGs, but I want to get back to Persona 5, and I'd like to try out the Ys games.

bump

That's the new one right, how did it turn out? I haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia.

you don't actually NEED anything past level 7, though.

Grandia series, Shadow Hearts series, Final Fantasy (shut up) before 8, Dragon Quest (can't go wrong with the basics), Trails, Pokemon

The underground waterway is fucking insane.

All of it has large OB areas on the sides due to it being a waterway, and it's walled off to boot, you have to get it JUST FUCKING RIGHT to get the Spheda fucking anywhere without automatically losing the damned ball.

Aside from that you have ridiculous goals in a maze-like environment every time outside of that one area where the sky is unblocked, but even THAT is crazy due to the fact that there's usually a huge air gap between areas you need to go to.

Best Tales game since Vesperia. Fun combat, good characters, Velvet turned out better than anyone expected, she actually follows through with her revenge instead of pussing out like most JRPG characters do. It's pretty fun. Dungeons still suck though.

Playing through Ys 2 right now. The bumper car attack system requires some getting used to once you've got the enemy pinned to a wall.

Are they still relatively short at least?

Yeah, most go by pretty quickly.

Anyone play Phantasy Star? I'm replaying 3 right now. IV is probably the best RPG on the genesis. It's also really fucking LONG, like holy shit. It's 3 megabytes and it cost over 100 dollars when it came out.
Also, who the FUCK came up with the technique names? Good luck knowing what any of them actually do.

I do like the bumper car system, but it's easilly abusable to just pin an enemy that's way stronger than you against a wall and chip away at their health.

I agree, it's even better than the Lunar games on the Sega CD.

Phantasy Star was even worse than SMT when it came to spell and technique names. All I remember is "Foi" is basically Magic Missile. Thankfully the manual explains what they do.

What are good vita/psp jRPGs? I have a craving.

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Hexyz Force, Gungir, and anything made by Falcom(be warned though, any Falcom game published by Namco has a pretty bad translation for some reason. But they're still good if you have a high tolerance for engrish.)