There still hasn't been a good middle earth video game

there still hasn't been a good middle earth video game

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/merp-middle-earth-roleplaying-project
worldcrunch.com/culture-society/my-father-039-s-quot-eviscerated-quot-work-son-of-hobbit-scribe-j.r.r.-tolkien-finally-speaks-out/hobbit-silmarillion-lord-of-rings/c3s10299/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But Skyrim Remasteredâ„¢ was great

that's prolly cause lotr is shit

Well, I know nothing of LOTR, but shadow of mordor was a neat concept padded with the most bland gameplay imaginable. Does that count?

Lord of the Rings Online was possibly THE comfiest game I have played.

Then it went free to play, and the community, which completely made it what it was, was replaced by f2p shitters.

There was a bunch of them on the playstation 2, can't remember which one I played but it was either the two towers or the fellowship of the ring. Was a really good couch co-op game on the level of starwars battlegrounds. Probably just hazy memory more than nostalgia but there you go.

mordor was a decently fun pirate, all due to the commander system.

This game was pretty comfy, and it followed the book pretty closely.

Am I the only one who liked this game?

More likely the only one who played it. I might try it out though, I've been going through my backlog of older games I missed at the time.

there still hasn't been a good middle earth anything

Yeah, was the comfiest MMO experience I had.

I got it for christmas when I asked for the two towers beat'em all and returned it. I don't know and I never will since it's forever tainted as a grandma game to me.

Battle for Middle-Earth 2 is pretty good, actually. BFME 1 was basically a glorified demo that had barely any content.

This. Even the tabletop RPGs are bad. Even their lore is horrible because of the licensing problems.

Yep

Pic related

those rts games from EA were surprisingly fun, fucking tom bombadil was the raddest shit

I think the biggest failing of LOTR media in general, and games in particular, is that they stick far too close to narrative presented in the books.

Tolkien stands out among most fantasy authors because of his autistic devotion to worldbuilding. Why is nobody using that? Why is everyone rehashing the same characters and events? An ideal LOTR game would be one that let you create a character and explore the world and all the expanded lore Tolkien populated it with.

if this is the one with tom bombadil. i actually enjoyed this too. it had a lot of flaws but it was pretty fun.

why even live

I was a cheapskate then. Was the game worth the $200 lifetime pass?

This and the previous game about the other 2 books are fun

The ancient game/films license that is still used only allows usage of LoTR and the Hobbit. Everything else is haram. That's why you get shit like Shadow of Mordor, lore rape is mandatory.

There have been dozens which is a shame because apart from being one of the first, they really are not that great books and the setting itself is better realized in the movies than the books.

Some guys were modding Skyrim to make it LOTR themed but WB shut them down
moddb.com/mods/merp-middle-earth-roleplaying-project

too bad, it was looking pretty good

I enjoyed BFME1 if only for the horribly bad AI.
There were multiple instances where my enemy filled his entire supply cap with nothing but catapults. There were so many of the things they didn't all fit on the screen at once.
It wasn't helped by the fact that I'd edited the game files to increase all the supply limits.

Because the setting ant story are bad and the only reason it became popular was political reasons?

I remember this. From that one weird period where EA was actually putting out quality licenced games.

I never managed to get past the second or third level of any story route

Hobbit (both the Zelda clone GBA game and the adventure platformer on PS2/GC/PC)
Two Towers/Return of the King (both the PS2 beat'em ups and the GBA Diablo clones)
Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 (especially 2 with Edain Mod)
War of the Ring (Battle Realms but in LotR bookverse)
The Third Age (PS2 RPG)
Third Age Total War

But yeah surely it has no good games, faggot.

Games like that and The Third Age (and movies like the bloated additions to The Hobbit's film adaptation) always make me wonder: Why doesn't anybody expand from the MASSIVE amount of material beyond LoTR/The Hobbit? I mean, it worked for Tales of Middle Earth.

There was even a LoTR-style novel, Children of Hurin, expanded from part of The Silmarillion, which (I haven't read it yet) is actually supposed to be pretty good. And The Silmarillion, as gigantic as it is, is FAR from the only piece of source material beyond LoTR/The Hobbit.

Good solid licensed movie games, the sort of thing LucasArts somehow failed to make for the Star Wars prequel trilogy and Crystal Skull in spite of the fact they were kicking ass with so with so many other games at the time.

Battle for Middle Earth is the best comercial game.
If you disagree you are wrong
All the PS2 hack and slash are shit compared to it and I played it as a kid.

Because Tolkien Estate, especially Christopher Tolkien, fucking hates the movies and the videogames based on the movies because he considers it a literal rape of his father's legacy and as such they can't use any material from the books that aren't LotR and Hobbit.
Which is also why Shadow of Mordor was as stupid as it was because they could only use the appendices from LotR books and not the actual Silmarilion material.

I still play it from time to time, but it's not as fun as it once was. Thankfully they finally added the ability to use cosmetic weapons so now I won't have mismatched axes

I ended up taking control of that pre-exodus Holla Forums kinship after Skrain and anyone else stopped logging in just long enough for my low rank ass to take command, changed it to dwarf themed but still keeping the Bree kinhouse due to decorations bound to dead kin

I don't disagree at all, however BFME2 is simply superior in every way provided you use Edain.

Why? World of Warcraft and game of thrones has deeper lore and better world.

Only with Edain
BFME2 is one step forward two steps back, especially considering unit count and campaign.

Did you fucking miss the last 4 words of my post?

I disagree.
BFME2 actually has more unique campaign missions than BFME1 did.
In BFME1 you roughly have only 8 per side with rest being generic skirmishes for the region.
In BFME2 every single mission is unique, the amount further increases when you include the expansion.
Your units also carry over like in BFME1 campaign so I don't really see a problem there.

You've never played BFME have you?

I have. Your units gain some stupid veterancy status in BFME1 and 2 and you can use some of them in future missions. But shitpost harder.

Well, there are private servers, do they suck ?

The only good BFME2 missions were the Dwarf ones and BFME had shitton of unique missions from Pelenor Fields to Minas Tirith.
Sure

It gets extra silly when the devs need to signal that they definately didn't use any unlicensed material by actively contradicting the other books when stuff starts to veer off from Hobbit/LoTR narrative.

Yes

The point is not that it had shitton, the point is that it had less and was very heavily padded with god awful generic skirmish maps.
If you like grinding and pointless padding then more power to you, personally I'd rather it didn't have the padding and just the main missions alone.

Sure

I'm sorry you don't like RTS games.

Does anyone recall that LOTR game that was basically a clone of Star Wars Battlefront 2?
I remember playing a demo and thinking it was pretty good but never added it to my backlog.

And yet you accuse me of shitposting

Conquest was fucking trash
The first missions are alright until you realize just how fucking badly designed and boring everything is.
Pandemic was probably too busy with the Saboteur and seeing their devs being fired by EA to care.

Whatever helps you sleep at night

Fuck I remember that game. I remember it not being excellent

hmmm, conquest looks different from what i remember, but it could be this. i played a demo that had 1 level where you die, pick classes and respawn, while a big war goes on with each team having a finite soldier amount.
i feel like the only way LOTR could make an appealing game is if they focused on the large battles in a dynasty warriors/battlefield type of way.
dynasty warriors LOTR sounds like a cash grab come to think of it… so many levels can be taken straight from the movie.

Wheres the cuckspouting?

It's a screencap you inbred retard.

Can they make Super any fucking shittier?
GT is a masterpiece next to this

there was a fatal glitch in the game that was discovered around that time aswell. It was dead either way

WHERES THE CUCKSPOUTING?

it gets cooler.

How about fusion?

That's the main villain's hair, Goku's is still Blue for now.
The more laughable fact is that the latest episode was quite literally scene for scene repeat of all the mistakes in last 3 episodes of GT complete with nerfing of Vegetto into lasting only 5 minutes and defusing mid battle and killing the final boss with an asspull genki dama instantly.

I think you have brain damage, I'd wish you to get cancer and die but your brain already has terminal cancer so I'll just wish you to die instead.

Only good thing about Super has been Mei and Hit

Oh the irony

The entire arc was pretty much a parody on how far they could possibly go into OC Donut Steel territory and power level bullshit.

This

Keep going

Pretty much
They cant even come up with new material.
The fucking thing is literally DBZ but Sayans have blue hair and theres shitty OC instead of actual decent designs.

You seem mad.

Well, he's not wrong. It would be nice to have a good Middle Earth video game that wasn't influenced by the movies in any form, though. Maybe something like Betrayal at Krondor?

Probably the only one. At least until the lego game came out a year or two ago.

The one where chests broke outside of a certain map size? That could have been fixed, simply need to stitch maps together with multiple transitions in mountain passes.

I will never forgive WB for shutting down the MERP project. Ever. I have not bought a single LotR game since, cancelled my sub to LOTRO, and will never buy WB again.

I miss that game every now and then, despite the lore rape. Had grand times with dorfy shitposting on the RP servers. Pics related.

Christopher Tolkien was quite horrified by the movies and how much they bastardized everything, I can't really blame him. The rest of the Middle-Earth universe was even more carefully and intricately crafted, so I fully understand why he'd want to keep it intact and safe from the grubby hands of filthy casuals that just care about action movies and games. See: worldcrunch.com/culture-society/my-father-039-s-quot-eviscerated-quot-work-son-of-hobbit-scribe-j.r.r.-tolkien-finally-speaks-out/hobbit-silmarillion-lord-of-rings/c3s10299/

In a perfect world, this would mean that fan projects (like the aforementioned MERP) with great attention to detail would rise up, but nothing really notable has managed to fly under the DMCA's radar.

The Hobbit and the trilogy would be a top-tier walking simulator with light combat, and The Silmarillion would be a godsend for the people that want action-centric games (especially RPG and RTS), but nope, nobody's interested enough anymore to bother. So we just get tripe like Shadows of Mordor.

As if they'd have done a good job anyways, even with access to The Silmarillion. They'd fucking destroy the lore no matter what.

The lack of movie influence was one of the things that made me fond of LOTRO. Very little aesthetically was taken from them. Plus, we got Tom Bombadil's Comfy Cottage after going through that forest, an absolute hell for any character at that level.

Which movies though? The Jackson films are trash, but the Bakshi and Rankin-Bass films follow the source material pretty well, down to Rankin-Bass drawing Orcs and Goblins in the same general style, though the goblins are slightly fatter.

Wrong. Third Age on the original Xbox was fucking sweet. One of the best Xbox games IMHO.

imagine having this much autism