So now that VR technology has fallen flat on it's ass which anyone with a braincell knew it would...

So now that VR technology has fallen flat on it's ass which anyone with a braincell knew it would, what do you think the next big gimmick in gaming is going to be? That will crash and burn

Other urls found in this thread:

nichegamer.com/2016/10/17/summer-lesson-is-getting-an-official-english-release-but-not-till-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions, OP. VR hasn't fallen flat on it's ass. Quit thinking that VR isn't meant to be anything but a display type, not some sort of video gaming accessory or controller.

How has it fallen flat? It seems functional and seems to excel in things like flight and driving sims. As we get higher resolution screens, I think we're in for some cool shit.

Two extremely niche genres that can't possibly float VR on their own. Even Onward which is the only VR game that looks interesting is way too ARMA and not enough cowadooty to appear to the casual normalfag audience that needs to adopt VR if we ever want this to take off.

I don't understand why people don't understand this. I use OSVR as a display replacement.

Explain to me how this constant parade of neverending "VR IS DEAD" threads is not CONSOLEWAR SHITPOSTING.

Oh but it's NOT a console, it's just something that costs as much as a console, has a library of games like a console, and has constant shitposting like a console.

That's a retarded line of thought.
Both of the niches mentioned by the other user are more than enough to keep multiple peripherals afloat and with new shit coming in at a steady rate. VR only really needs better displays and it will get that.
Sure, it will stay on being expensive and not many gimmicky tech demos will be made, but fuck that, all I want are my simulators and eroge games. I rather have a niche product for my niche uses than some cheaply made mass consumer product target at retards.

It is not a console, it's a peripheral that has two functions, display and input. Some games are specifically made for this peripheral, but most games can be played regardless if you're willing to lose some of the functionalities of the peripheral itself.
I'm with you on that the "hurr durr VR is dead" threads are stupid though. Mostly because of how repetitive it gets.

MORE WAGGLAN

The precision on that shit is fucking amazing. I'm not buying it because the HMD isn't that great and the price is stupid, but that's motion controller done correctly.

I don't even understand why anyone would want one to be honest. Most things you want to do that aren't VR (((EXPERIENCE))) specific can be done with a mouse, keyboard, joystick or wheel

Fuck expensive shit wiimote garbage

It's a nice piece of technology if you enjoy toying around with that kind of shit, but toying around is the key problem here, it's not something with real substance, much less with how limited most devs are when it comes to incorporating technology into actual gameplay. Hell, they are already struggling at making gameplay with traditional in put, can't expect them to be creative and effective with something less traditional.
Wagglan is never really mandatory. I'd love to see it used on a game like Arx Fatalis, with the nice magic system finally working as the devs wanted, but, then again, you could have that with keyboard and mouse+leap motion and it wouldn't affect the effectiveness of all the other aspects of the game that isn't casting a fireball.

And that's a strawman, as I never said nor implied that.

Then what where you saying? It seem to be heavily implying that. Care to clear it out?

Just what I said. That sims are a normalfag repellent genre and can't prop up the industry on their own, and currently they're the only experiences of substance on the platform.

Have said this in other VR threads, in order for it to be successful it needs a mass market killer app, or it's going go go the way of 3D TVs.

That doesn't mean it has fallen flat. Plenty of things keep going in spite of not having a big market for it.
This is a commercial failure at most, the technology is actually fairly solid and functional, only needing better screens and more computing power to push for that higher resolution. Everything else is working as intended for the most part.
Your claim is still stupid and pointless to me. It's like caring about how many copies a game sells or how many consoles Sony is selling vs MS or some shit like that. A silly thing to discuss or even bother with.

Again, never said that, although I do agree with OP's sentiment that it's looking pretty fucking grim.
Not things that require huge budgets. The reason we have so many niche pixelshit games is because any poor asshole with zero artistic talent can churn that shit out and it'll look "okay". With VR, the best you're going to get on a low budget is yet another disgusting shooting gallery, wii sports clone, or ~2 hour "toy" experience.
That's not going to fix the complete lack of content.
Because you don't know what you're talking about, and are in over your head.
Yes, exactly. What happens to a game from a new studio that sells like shit? Do you see them making more of those games? Now what do you think is going to happen to VR when the lack of quality content starts catching up to it? You're looking at poor sales, which means a smaller install base, which then means studios aren't going to risk the capital to create that content. Why do you think 3D TVs/Monitors are constantly brought up in VR threads? Because the exact situation I just outlined happened with them, and is in the process of happening with VR without said "killer app".

It's far from falling on its ass. The hype train slowed down for sure but the money, the energy, and interest is still very present.

HTC's Vive X program which allocated $100M in the improvement of the Vive, is now barely starting. They just announced a commercial wireless prototype to get rid of the long coords from the headset to the PC. Also the first short Hollywood 3D movies are coming out soon although pretty fucking expensive.

I know Holla Forums loves to relish in destruction ever since the SWTOR disaster, but VR is here to stay. And will only get better from here on out. It will live in the shadows of early adopters for a while. No doubt.

Have you tried VR OP? I'm going to say it now, much like a racing wheel and seat you NEED a VR headset to be competitive in racing games.

Sure, you can get by with a good old fashioned controller but a VR headset makes you a better driver because you're more aware of it. You're more aware of where the wheels are, where the front bumper is, how far away the next person in front of you is. It gives you a sense of scale that is lost in 2D monitors.

also theres that DolphinVR gamecube emulator and it makes those no-jet-pack levels in mario sunshine piss-easy.

you best be joking

Racing at a professional level isn't about who can really go the fastest, it's about the person who can assess the situation and act accordingly. You need the information the VR headset provides for you to really know how much weight you want to put on each wheel going through a corner so you can maintain grip and not lose speed or spin out. In addition you need to judge where you need to be to hit that apex so you don't have to break as much and can basically accelerate through the corners without understeer.

Driving without a VR headset is like driving blind, you're not engaging certain senses so you can't accurately handle the car and make it reach the limits of what it was designed for.

fuck off with your meme twingo, literally rx7 tier garbage

technical driving is very important, it's really not about top speed. The person that comes first is the only who takes the shortest route to the finish line, within reason obviously. But theres another layer to that in that you need to make sure that the power the car has can be applied to the road efficiently, it's why sometimes people won't go full throttle even though they're on a straight because that may cause the situation where the front wheels are lifted off the ground and that can make you lose grip and provide you with understeer, and if you panic in that situation you'll ease off the throttle and oversteer and spin out.

It's more complicated than break-turn-accelerate, break-turn-accelerate.

do people really browse the internet in VR?

i was looking forward to it but either due to my eyesight or the vive itself it's too blurry and low resolution to do

Get glasses or lenses inline with your prescription, it makes the image more sharper.

I would not recommend anyone do any sort of extensive reading on VR. Unless the text is gigantic the eye strain would be ridiculous.

And you need to have a shitload of games? I'm ok with two or three simulators every couple of years or so. Not to mention you can also use it on many regular games with injectors and wrappers.

4U

Or maybe because you're a retard that wants a shitload of entertainment instead of things you can dedicate time too.

You're still missing the point entirely. I'm not sure if you're braindead or something.

Valve realized how good their tech is and has been licencing the tracking technology to other companies. So even if VR dies, that technological development will most likely live on. Vid related, at about 9:58 he talks about it.
Also for anyone interested in how Valve is handling the business side of VR, watch the video. It's not the only thing they talk about, but it's in there. I'll make a webm tomorrow but I need to get some sleep first.

Can I interest you fine whales in some Star Citizen JPEGS?

Since you clearly will buy any bullshit.

Really? I'd really love the VR in some Gran Turismo game or a game like Battle of Stalingrad. I'd like to get a stick too… I don't even have enough dosh for a good gaming computer, if it's falling flat it's more likely due to current cost issues and the cost issues to make games for.

I do think VR will be bigger in the future however. I think there is a lot of potential off cheaply. Though it works with flight sims they would also need good resolution which sort of ruins the casual approach of just having phones double as the VR screen with some tacky goggle case.

I reviewed countless VR shit and the only thing it is good for is lewd shit. It's also uncomfortable as shit for long sessions.

The OSVR is the best of the bunch and only costs $350. A traditional monitor with the same quality would cost more.

Sorry to break it to you, but you gotta go fast.

Not really, it is simply the first generational line which has failed due to being underwhelming application and technology-wise.
No different from when the first generation of video game consoles was a blunder.

Controllers that require your dick to use.

NO, YOU'RE WRONG! THIS HIGHLY EXPENSIVE GIMMICK THAT WILL REQUIRE MULTIPLE PIECES OF EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT TO FULLY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ITS CAPABILITIES IS GOING TO BECOME A HOUSEHOLD ITEM! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It hasn't failed yet, but it's handled in the most retarded fashion possible and is really only great for sim games like other people mention. That combined with how hard it's been pushed and the "its DA FYOOCHER" crowing that was there the last few times companies tried their hands at VR.

Is this autism?
Thats like saying 4K is a meme and is dead.
Or saying PC gayman was dead in 2009

user I hate to be the one to have to tell you this but >falling for the 4K meme

VR seems to be going pretty good right now, though.
I think it might actually work out this time, abliet as more specialized stuff, and very much restricted to true hobbiests due to price and space.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering how casualization is the thing killing video games today.

It connects to your PC, retard. It's like a mouse.
That means VR games using those sets are PC games.

Poorfag detected.
If you don't have $1000 to casually throw at new tech just to try it out, you probably shouldn't be talking.

I'm sorry to say user, but:

(You)

So when will a VR headset with a higher resolution than 1080p, lower risk of motion sickness, and a lower price tag than a month's worth of rent come out?

Same problem 3D has. people cant just let something be a neat little niche thing, it has to be some giant revolutionary thing or nothing at all.
3D movies was a cool concept where they can use a technology to add depth/texture to scenes giving it a really cool enhancement. Definitely worth using glasses and any TV that can go to 120hz or above. (60fps 3D "frame") But instead we get companies and devices and all this shit, and specific TVs when in reality it could have just been any 120hz TV and a setting on a bluray. isntead we have to spend an extra $1000 on a TV that has something on it that "unlocks" the feature on movies that have it.
Same goes with this shit, instead of it just being something that replaces a TV or even used in addition to one, it has to become its own medium with proprietary software and bullshit.
same shit with MP3 players, i cant just get a portable HDD that plays mp3s, it has to have itunes, or some other bullshit. it cant just let me open it as a secondary hdd and create/rename folders and drag/drop mp3s into it.
tablets. same bullshit. instead of it being something i can install shit onto it has to be some locked down device that requires rooting and reprogramming in order to use it.

new technology is consistently trash when it comes to usability for non-retards. and what's worse is nobody just comes out and makes something usable. there's always a catch that kills their own product.

Yes, assuming they expected that small amount of sales, didn't have stupid cost of making the game, and it fits a reliable niche of which people will continue to want
You queer.

You only pay $800 in rent?

Yeah?

Because we can't be protected from garbage warring shitpost threads unless it is about a console.

Play a driving game some time. With that mentality, you'll spend more time with your face in the wall than actually moving anyway.

I hope 2017 is the year video games start getting good again. Otherwise, I'm not buying any new parts anymore.

800$ is still a bit high, isn't it?
I guess it depends on the area.

My rent's $1300. And I shopped around: that's the low end.

This city is dicks.

i have been paying $2000+ for a single bedroom apartment for the past 3 years. (it goes up by 100 every time we renew the lease)
i just moved out, turns out a mortgage+15k annual tax is about the same on a 300k+ home with a 30 year mortgage. but the problem is you need about 80k straight up to get that going + repairs

Bannerlord
Endless Space 2

The Pimax has 4K and costs less than $300. The framerate is only at 60 so if you are prone to motion sickness it's not quite there yet.

Typical rent in American cities is ~$2000/month, unless you live in the ghetto. This is for a 1 bedroom, of course, since nobody wants to live in a shitty studio.

But 4K is a meme. You need a large display, and/or to be very close to it (and probably have a curved screen), in order to take full advantage of the resolution. For TVs, which are generally situated in living rooms where multiple people watch it from a distance of 8 to 12 feet, it's utterly pointless. There are lots of things that can be done to improve TVs and displays in general, like HDR and local dimming. But just adding more pixels doesn't really do shit.

Are you retarded?
So you really are retarded

lolno
That's true in big cities, or if you're renting a big apartment, but for a 1-bedroom place in a typical (i.e., medium or small) city, no.
Fortunately, I'm not retarded enough to live in places like New York or San Francisco.
Sage for doublepost.

Does a fucking GBA game look better just because it's been upscaled to 1080p? The hardware side of improving image quality has lots of room to grow. Higher resolution is only a marginal improvement–especially since you won't get the full effect unless you drop a lot f cash for a massive display that you have to sit close to.
The normal human eye resolves at about 1 minute of arc. Do the math; you've been hoodwinked.

I have to, for work.

Hopefully they won't shit the bed with butterlord.
Still looking forward to Deathwing though.

Time to die.

They're supposedly working on a new version of the Pimax that should have both higher refresh rate and better tracking, but it's definitely going to be a while before they release it given that this model came out recently

I guess FPS is just a meme too

Pleb

It will be M&B+
And thats all I need, graphical bump and seasons, more units onscreen and the city design is enough for me to get it.
Looks dope, I really hope Streum on delivers.

Where the fuck did these retarded shills come from? There weren't anons stupid enough to buy into this trash, right? VR is as dead as 3D movies.

Who even wants VR? The normalfags? The normalfags don't want it, because who the fuck is going to buy 4 of the fucking things for 800$ a piece? What normalfag has enough space in his house for 4 people waggling around? Most of all, what normalfag wants to wear that shit and no see his friends he's playing with while waggling?
The sim community? What simmer wants blurry muddy resolution while paying out the ass for stupid features like waggling and full-room tracking which he will never use? All he (and everyone else really) wanted was a glorified TrackIR.

VR tried to do some Wii shit with the waggling and full-room tracking, but forgot normalfags don't want this shit and they especially don't want to pay 800$ per person. The other end of the spectrum, the sim community, doesn't care either. The middle-range consumer? He's not going to blow 800$ on a shitty headset. VR has no target audience, nobody wants it for one reason or the other.

What I wanted out of VR was just a glorified TrackIR. Remove the useless inbuilt headphones (which I already have my own of, and better ones too), room-wide tracking, and all this bullshit, and you'll cut down on the price by half. Guess how much I look forward to paying 300$ for what I want and then another 600$ for shit I don't need but I can't pick away?

You're a fucking retard
Consider suicide

i pay around 120$ for rent
i don't know how you burgers can live with yourselves

Where does this shitty meme come from? VR is cool as hell. Don't you faggots wanna sit back with your waifus?

summer lesson isn't getting a western release
and the blonde waifu in it is gonna be dlc
why shouldn't i hate VR?

Where?

This is just the beginning, user. The biggest complaint about VR right now, besides the price, is that very few devs are really taking advantage of the full possibilities of the tech. Most of them use it like a gimmick when it should really change the experience at a deep level.

Plus it has all kinds of other capabilities. For example, if you had an empty table and a VR headset (maybe a few for other players) you could play any board game there ever was. With the table to rest your hands and lean on and whatnot, and a VR headset with a camera (like an augmented reality deal) then you could play pretty much any board game right there, because the headset could make the board and any pieces/cards you need.

You can't be this dumb.

I used to have one. I prefer working 9 to 5.

It's getting an unlocalized release with english subs which is way better.
nichegamer.com/2016/10/17/summer-lesson-is-getting-an-official-english-release-but-not-till-2017/
Wouldn't be surprised if the aryan hottie is DLC for the initial japanese release but already integrated into the version for non-moonspeakers.

bulgaria, specifically sofia where it would be implied that it's more expensive

when the fuck has anything like that ever happened?
we're gonna get jewed like all the other good goyim

Updated releases in new markets containing previous DLC as part of the base game has never happened? Just how deep have you been living under a rock that you've never heard of GOTYs?

that's not the same thing you nigger
that's just silly

atleast you didnt post a cuck wheel drive gtr

Well, shit. I was gonna say noguns until I looked it up myself.
How good do they pay engineers over there?

vs
You call it silly, I call it an expected level of sensible kikery: More tastes covered, more shekels mined.

no idea
i just know that the medical field is absolutely fucked unless you're a surgeon, and that anyone in IT is gonna make big dosh easily
but everything here is insanely cheap (example being my rent, or that i can afford 3 meals a day for only 5$), so you should be fine

That's another $0.01 for you shill-kun, only what, $799.99 left to go to break even?

Why do you hate VR so much? Like do you hate the technology itself, or just the current market status of it?

Because theres an hardcore alternative thats getting localized.

If buy localize you mean machine fan translated as per usual with a high chance of the project dying past the UI translation then yeah sure.

You are about 80% of all posts on Holla Forums.

no Illusionsoft is making a porn parody of that game for Vive and Oculus

Nah, first Illusion game that's getting an official english version.

Oh shit now that you mention it I do remember reading something about that but I thought I was having a crazy dream or something. Illusion and Alicesoft are now allowing official localization it's like the world has gone all topsy turvy.

we need a filter to keep people that don't have an OR/Vive from posting threads about OR/Vive

It's a $700+ gimmick. The resolution is tiny, half the price is made up of "features" that are either only there to jack up said price, or for waggling shovelware crap. On top of that there are basically no games for it. Buying VR now is dumber than buying jpegs of spaceships for Star Citizen, at least with SC you may get something good in the future (unlikely, but still). With VR you bought this turd that you will use for 30 minutes before giving up on, and when the future ones that cost half and are much better come out, you're gonna have to shell out for those too.

People also don't seem to understand just how bad the resolution is. If we consider it by degrees, my current 1080p takes up what, 40-50 degrees of my vision? Imagine having that resolution stretched over twice if not close to thrice that.

I don't hate the concept of VR, but I obviously hate the current overpriced gimmicks much like I hate $2000 spaceship jpegs in Star Citizen.

You are partly right. However, to some people, the sense of motion gives them a bigger sense of immersion than high-res textures or other such things. However, this doesn't mean VR is dead. It just means it's in its infnacy. They are throwing everything at it and looking to see what sticks. I think for those of use in the sim community, VR can be very valuable. It may be overpriced, but I work all day and this is the only time I have to really get to doing shit like this. I can hold off, but I'd rather not. VR feels too good to me.

Jump off a bridge.

Honestly, though, if you haven't used it at all, you should really shut the fuck up. If you used it and didn't like it because x reason, then that's completely understandable, but nothing about VR is fundamentally doomed to failure.

We have this thing called language, that allows ideas and concepts to be transmitted from one mind to another. I reject the notion that there are any experiences whose characteristics can't be conveyed to someone who doesn't have firsthand knowledge–let alone for a glorified vidya peripheral.

There isn't a single quality non-sim game.
And as I've explained to you multiple times, nichefags like yourself can't keep VR afloat.
An $800 wobbly replacement for mouselook, wew.
For the audience VR needs to survive, thrive, and grow.
If there's an argument in there somewhere, I certainly can't find it.

Pic related :^)

That's fine and dandy, but this is like saying you know x tastes like shit without actually having ever tried it. If you're just repeating things others have said, you have no idea how true those things are. So again, if you haven't even tried it, how the fuck would you know?

Because using it to play normal games is a surefire way to induce vomit.

Because I have a brain that is capable of synthesizing thoughts based on communication. If there's some vital, missing part of the VR experience that isn't understood by people who haven't used it, that can only be because VR's users have yet to adequately describe it.
Also, you seem to be assuming that I think "VR is doomed.™" I don't.

I love how people who have never used VR just decide its dead for all the people who've actually tried it.

That's assuming the things you are being told are true. You seem to ignore everyone that tells you it works fine for them.
Or maybe you're ignoring them. I'm not saying you have to like it, but telling other people that it's shit based on things you've only heard on the internet is pretty retarded.
Then I guess we're arguing about nothing. VR is in its early stages. Honestly, I overpaid, but I don't really care. I don't want to wait, and while this is like buying early BR players, I still don't mind it.

The Lithuanian presidential palace.

Holla Forums hates vidya, never forget it.

For years and years Holla Forums has been pumped about getting good VR and now it's here, but folks bitch about it nonstop over minor issues and pretend it's not still improving. Maybe it was overhyped and just can't live up to the expectations.

Maybe if you have shit eyesight. I just measured this to make the case and I can clearly distinguish (meaning no shimmering) alternating lines of black and white pixels on a 23" 1080 monitor from 130 cm (4.3 feet) meaning I would be able to do the same on a 23" 4k monitor from 65 cm (2.1 feet). That's ordinary office distance on a tiny 23" screen, and that's if you want to actually see the pixels, meaning jaggies.

In order to get "natural anti-aliasing", meaning where the lines blend together to a solid gray without any shimmering, on the 1080 display I need to go back to 210 cm or 6.9 feet. This means I need to back off to over one full meter or 3.4 feet on a tiny 23" 4k to see no hint of the pixels. That equates a pitiful 27.3° field of view.

Video content in the same manner should be low pass filtered to at least 2 pixels per line in order to avoid aliasing on shit like pinstripe suits, so for me moving closer than one meter to this 23" 4k screen should give me no additional detail when looking at movies because none should be present in the video stream.

TL:DR; The human eye can see really tiny shit. Wake me up when they start pushing 16k because that may actually be overkill.

I wonder who could be behind this post

That's fair. Although the right way to go about it is to have multiple sources of information and collate them.
You're being weirdly defensive when you say shit like this. I haven't ignored anything. I haven't even told you what I think of VR. I just objected to the notion that nobody should talk about it unless they've used it.
Maybe it would be. Luckily, I didn't do that.
No, you just missed the point. I was being pedantic about communication and understanding in general. The sentiment that experience trumps information pops up a lot in discussions about VR.

(checked)
It still has a lot to improve on but c'mon user, can you imagine having what we have today 5 years ago? 10? It's fucking incredible and people just don't appreciate it.

5 years ago we had DK1.

I'm not saying we should let them get lazy and stop improving. I'm saying, take a step back and appreciate what we've got. It's already some sci-fi shit and it's still getting better.

I dunno about you user but it seems pretty damn cool to me.

I used to be like you until I went full freetard. The state of modern electronics and computing bothered me enough to actually do something about it instead venting on the internet in vain.

I don't care if a product is technically superior or cheaper if it's a locked down piece of shit. Thankfully in the VR world Vive is being successfully reverse engineered through community efforts to provide libre drivers as the OSVR is a massive turd when it comes to software. Just because something bills itself as 'open source' doesn't mean it's any good. The Oculus Rift is 'open source' too.

You are part of the Holla Forums hivemind mentality cancer. Thanks for blatantly putting yourself out.

Fucking how.

you can still buy MP3 players that do literally exactly what you're describing from almost anywhere. shit, i bought three 8gb players last time i was overseas for less than six bucks each. build quality is pretty shitty but what do you expect for single-digit price, and often they don't even have a display, but who fuckin cares