A new supercomputer from China has topped the latest list of the world's most powerful machines

A new supercomputer from China has topped the latest list of the world's most powerful machines.

The 93 petaflop Sunway TaihuLight is installed at the National Supercomputing Centre in Wuxi.

At its peak, the computer can perform around 93,000 trillion calculations per second.

It is twice as fast and three times as efficient as the previous leader Tianhe-2, also from China, said Top500 which released the new list on Monday.

Its main applications include advanced manufacturing, weather forecasting and big data analytics, wrote Jack Dongarra in a paper about the new machine.

It has more than 10.5 million locally-made processing cores and 40,960 nodes and runs on a Linux-based operating system.

Its greatest feat yet is managing to run Dishonored 2 at a steady 60 FPS on medium settings.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/Rd5NU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well yeah, it doesn't have a GPU, retard.

archive.is/Rd5NU

At this point, is it really that impressive when modern "computers" are actually more like a shitton of separate computers except networked/integrated together? If your PC has a quad core and a GPU, you don't have a computer; you have five computers in the same case.

So it's not a supercomputer. It's >10.5 million baby computers under the same roof.

Agreed.

Networking at the scale of supercomputers is far from simple. It isn't just plugging all machines together. All supercomputers are made of several "baby" computers, often with GPUs or other accelerators.
Sunway is kinda funny that China wanted to use Intel CPUs but the US didn't allow the sale. China made their own CPUs instead, so all the block did was cost Intel sales.

Are you implying he's wrong, mate?

Are there like really good CPUs that I'd have to smuggle out of China? Or are the USA's still top?

really?

too bad

Can it play Crysis 3?

China has nothing close to Nvidia's GPUs, they're still in the lead. Sunway doesn't use GPUs, but CPUs. The catch is they're not x86 (Intel/AMD) CPUs, but a new microarchitecture. They're supposedly not very easy to code for (they don't automatically cache memory for fast access…), so I don't know if they could have a place in the consumer market.

Wow! Imagine a Beowulf cluster of these!

Can it calculate how big my dick is?

How could Bethesda fuck up a game this bad?

I'm implying he's missing the point.

It's not a matter of being wrong or right, it's a matter of making a stupid statement or not.

What they are using probably isn't particularly good for the uses you might end up giving to a CPU in your regular day-to-day life.

How fucking new are you?

everytime

That's what supercomputers have always been. The interconnects are what separates supercomputers from clusters.

but can it run crysis and explode a milloin barrels XDDD