I have a lot of of fond memories of the N64, but these days I feel the library is very lackluster...

I have a lot of of fond memories of the N64, but these days I feel the library is very lackluster, and the once impressive visuals fall flat to pretty much all of its competition from the time. I still have a lot of fondness for the system and there are still a number of games I'd like to play.

What are some of your best memories with the N64? Have you looked into upgrades for the system with RGB or even HDMI modding? Have you been playing any interesting N64 games lately?

I picked one up about a month ago for 60 bux.
It's just okay. Right now the only games I have for it are Banjo Kazooie and Resident Evil 2.

I'm feeling a bit put off from beating BK. It's a great game so far, but recently I got to some level with a seasons gimmick - which looked badass at first glance, but the execution is just so tedious that I don't know if I can bring myself to find enough pieces for it.

There are a few more I plan on getting (OoT, MM, Banjo Tooie, and Perfect Dark) but by modern standards, I think it's basically on the same level as the Wii U as far as game quantity goes.

Honestly the only reason I didn't get a PSX instead is because I already had one when I was 5 and most of the games I had for it also had PC ports.

I still think it's fucking impressive that they managed to fit two CDs worth of shit onto a single cartridge.
Though from what I hear the cut scene quality is a bit shit when compared to the PS1 version.

Reminder that the N64 is the worst Nintendo console.

That's why I said console. VB is technically a handheld.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Conker's Bad Fur Day

worse than the wiiu?

Wii U = N64 > Wii

Wii U at least has good exclusives, like the N64. Wii was just hot garbage that had like 2 remotely worthwhile releases.

I have been playing pic related pretty hard for the past couple days, I don't know what it is about this game but it is so addicting. The game play is just a bunch of micro managing and part VN but I love it so much. Mainly learning about all the different paths there are and a bunch of lore I didn't notice the first time through.

Is it your first time playing through it? I wanna pick it up, but I don't know too much about it, and it's not on the cheap side. Also wanted to know If it's still good to a newcomer.

I've been on a weird gen 5 kick lately. Been goin through Xenogears, and have Dragon Force on standby for when I finish. Was planning on getting Ogre Battle 64 to hit after that (it would be my first playthrough for all 3)

The Wii had lots of interesting 7/10 tier games. Curiosities like No More heroes, Madworld, and Fragile Dreams. It was definitely lacking in regards to great games though.

Well first time seriously playing It, I got pretty far back in the day when it wasn't an old game but never finished, came back and made a new game and am way into it.
Its fun but not much game play, you set up your units them on an over head map and direct them to capture towns or fight units, each stage is pretty much the same objectve: start at town A and capture town G while capturing towns B-F being optional. (different maps each level and different amount of towns enemy units but same gist)

Pic A is what the overhead map looks like while directing units, Pic B is the Battle Screen and Pic C is the unit managment screen where all meat of the game is IMO.

In battles you dont control the troops directly, instead you give them general orders- attack the enemies leader, attack strongest enemy, attack weakest enemy or autonomous.

Mario Party, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64 and Smash Bros.

4 controller ports was a big deal back then as we were all used to just 2 players on consoles.

Tearing my palm skin off while playing mario party probably isn't my fondest memory.

In unit managment you can change the class of the units as the level up, the lowest level is the 'soldiers' who are tiny spearmen attack in groups of 3, they dont gain exp but instead after so many battles they become a fighter is boy or an archer if girl, boys and girls have totally different classes and roles in game. Different classes do better when positioned correctly in the group, archers get more attacks in back while mele units do better in front for example, but they dont always fight that way! you can be attacked from behind or the side and be at a serious disadvantage.

The Wii had some good games at least plus NGC compatibility. and thats not even counting the fact that it serves as a cheap and efficient emu-box

when I played this as a kid and learned that you could recruit units that attacked at random in the wilderness I lost my damn mind.

I made a full unit of birdmen

It is so hard to find them though, I have a habit of just going from battle to battle instead of investigating areas I already beat.

I think each nintendo console is horrible in its own way when you get into it. NES is a fragile piece of garbage with composite at best out of the box. The top loader is RF only out of the box, the SNES is fine but has retarded RGB issues, the N64 has some great games but not enough games overall, the GC has 17 games, the wii had 12 games, and the wii u had 5. At least by today they got their technical issues up to some standard.

Still, the N64 has some games worth talking about. Goemon's Great Adventure was the best sidescrolling platformer I've played in my life until I played tropical freeze.

I have a wii
Bad games on that list

Good ones

Games that are missing from the list
Really fun prequel dead space game, had a blast with it

It's been a while since I got a on an N64 kick but RR64 (which will hurt you later on) is great and underrated as a Ridge Racer title and being able to do well in it is a mark of pride.

Starwars Racer (which is actually pretty easy to burn through). But I played the PC version, only dabbling to test out the dual controller cheat (my third port is broken apparently so it doesn't work).

I haven't looked into doing any console modding though I think it would do wonders for fidelity (RR64 is blurry as fuck)

I've done research into modding the N64 and even solutions that undo blurring (gameshark and ultrahdmi) produce less than satisfactory results. The developers accounted for the blurring so they used very low quality textures, the text or hud elements often relied on blurring for smoothness RGB and HDMI do give you better colors but it's not a game changer. The best thing you can do for the system is a good CRT with bold scanlines.

but
You have shit taste

Obvious great memories for
Goldeneye
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Perfect Dark
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

Other great memories
Body Harvest
Jet Force Gemini
Star Craft

You mean like the Wii?

But you made me laugh, so here's a good list

And the 2D mario, Smash Bros., and NES Remix packs are okay, too. Just don't really stand out all that much is all.

Hopefully Breath of the Wild turns out to be good + Yooka Laylee's looking pretty decent. Overall it wasn't a bad console for its time at all. Not even PC is getting too many games during this gen except for hipstershit and broken AAA ports.