Sacrifice

Who is best God and why is it James?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/groups/SacrificeCommunity/discussions/0/864971765503082825/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I mean, COME ON.

Pyro; I still think phoenixes are the coolest shit in that game. Charnel is okay too.

is this the game where you can actually deform the terrain and summon a huge fucking volcano?

That's Populous: The Beginning
also possibly sacrifice, my memory is shoddy

Black & White 3 when?

Lionhead closed in April and Molyneux is a hack. Never.

Good.

yes indeed

CHARNELL IS AN OP BULLSHIT GOD WITH IT'S OP BULLSHIT CREATURES.
FUCK YOU

PROGRESS

Quickly Holla Forums!
How do we, [GENERIC VIDEOGAMES COMPANY], reboot Sacrifice in order to bring back quirky games full of personality while also bringing in the big bucks?
I would like to start with the suggestion that we should make more of the gods female! Persephone is nice and all, but having the only female deity in the game be a holier-than-thou crusader type really sends the wrong message to the youth of the wonderful, progressive modern age. Perhaps we could replace Pyro? Having the god of fire and industry, also the most assertive god, be a woman would surely empower our female gamers around the world!. And we all know that empowered women are the biggest spenders.

That's a good idea. We need more godly butts.

James is the only "good" god, and his slow defensive style lends well to the war of attrition Sacrifice tends to work best for. Steal a few enemy souls every fight and eventually you can steamroll them.

I find that james fares quite badly if someone pushes your shit in too hard. You kind rely on his artillery to win you the day, but a swift attack with 3-4 flyers lands your plans on the ground.
They do have some perks though and are tough bastards to wipe out.

Funny way of spelling Tim Curry.

In the realm that was my home, I had devoted my life to the study of the Arcane. No pursuit was too perilous, no sacrifice too great.

Stratos is a faggot. At least at the end of the game anyway :^)

Tell that to the last fucking level in the game.. Jesus I had to leave it there, that fight between two wizards at once was already hard enough but then they go and do THAT shit.. Badass as fuck, but still fuck you Marduk

I always mained charnel, though some of pyro's units are awesome IM HIT
James is probably the most just and least pious of all the gods.. I respect him greatly for that, but there's something about the purity and inevitably of death and fire which really can't be contested, so I can't avoid picking pyro/charnel, especially when pyro's units tend to wreck fucking face. Plus James is kind of a boring annoying faggot sometimes.. Oh and he totally betrays you when charnel tries to deal/trade with him.. I think so anyway.. Can't really remember. Still at least he reminds me of earth worm Jim

Well thank you shills Anons, you've successfully made me reinvested in the game. I wanna play that shit right now tbh, good thing I already have it installed from gog. I wish there was actually a chance that someone would shill this game.. It would imply the devs/publishers/the industry/fucking someone gave a shit about it except for all of us retrofags, and the few people who remember it.. Ahh well Anons, who is the best God to get starting units with? I seem to remember being able to be a fickle follower for the first three or so missions before the gods deny you access to their missions.

Until.. Well.. Under the many circumstances that men may dream of can't remember the rest, completely off the top of my head.anyone still play online? I suppose it's a vain hope.

Also the hellmouth is only good vs loads of shitty units as far as I can recall .. I always found myself just spamming warmongersAlso gratuitous bumps

Going to have to agree with Pyro/Charnel. but I always did like Stratos even if I never was very good when playing with his stuff. Lightning is the best element.

I love this game so much. Have a bump

Chain lightning/lightning would always fuck up a nigga. I guess that's why I don't know how many Anons here have actually gotten near the endgame, but Stratos doesn't fuck around folks

Is this thread really dead already? I remember checking the status of a sacrifice 2 every couple of months when I was younger.. The domain was bought out and everything, just nothing being done with it as far as I can recall.

Also on booting up the game again there is custom campaign next to new campaign. Custom. Fucking. Campaign. No thoughts on this? No Anons wanting to bring this game to a younger generation to enjoy?

Provide a concise list of the gods and I will tell you which is best.

Persephone: Life
Charnel: Death
James: Earth
Stratos: Wind
Pyro: Fire

Sorry for low res

i uninstalled this game when there was nothing to fap to

Charnel was literally the best God because he had the absolute best spells and creatures.
His Wall drained mana from people when they got through, meaning you could severely fuck a Wizard at the beginning of a fight or screw his escape.

His best spell was Ressurection, I even set up an hotkey for that. In terms of mana and casting time, it was a very low tier spell so everytime one of your creatures died, you could bring them to life as if you were summoning a T1 creature. Once you get to late game where summoning some later tier creature takes several seconds, you can see how this makes much of a difference in a fight. I only had to go around ressurecting everyone and let their Life Steal prolong their life as they cleaved through anything. Drop a few diseases, some slimes and even walk around with my shield or drop an homing AoE.

Charnel was this wall of living flesh moving your way, killing you ever so slowly but for every victory you though you won, turns out I can re-animate it and you are back to fighting them again, only you're weaker now.

Only thing that screwed me was burst damage and several wizards killing me faster than I could rez, which stopped being a thing with the latest tiers of creatures and decent support spells. Marduck was a bitch in the end.

Yes.

Because bore kills souls. Then again, Stratos has the same in his arsenal, just by removing creatures from safe ground instead of removing the ground beneath them.

Bonus unpopular opinion:
2nd tier you should always take Persephone, every structure should have at least one healing tick tethered to it. Because they're awesome.

how come people were unable to produce a more interesting/novel RTS since Sacrifice? It's not muh nostalgia, games were actually10 times better back then.

Because if you tried to, it would be labeled ASSFAGGOTS today.
Think about it, a hero that goes around throwing spells at other wizards that has to manage Health and Mana? And even has a level that raises by killing things and is surrounded by minions? TO TAKE TOWERS AND RUSH THE ENEMY BASE?
LEAGUE OF SACRIFICE!

But quite honestly, it's because the control scheme is atrocious and commanding minions isn't for everyone until a better control scheme can be invented that works for the average player.

control scheme could be improved to be more modern, and you are bullshitting about assfaggots, as long as there are more than 4 abilities its ok

Totally lost track of the hours that went by as I played this game until the later hours of the morning.. A testament to it's power as a game I suppose.

I concur. I've mostly gone charnel although I wouldn't have minded some extra choice, Pyro was off limits after charnel disliked the pyrobaulic dynamo.. That fucking thing. Anyway with my loadouts, and the scarabs make life a LOT easier, and they're excellent when placed as a guardian on a manalith! Also Charnel's spells (demonic rift, realisation dead, wailing wall) make you a force that is absolutely not to be fucked with without a volcano or something similar

we need more games where we beat up gods, asura's wrath was disappointing

Charnel all the way.

Is it just me or is the difficulty of this game all over the place? I had four missions where I could more or less curbstomp the enemy with my wizard and three hero units that followed me from previous missions, but now I'm stuck in a late game fighting a Pyro wizard whose armies always is thrice as large as mine and also has those fucking Warmongers that eat through my ents as if they were made out of cardboard.

Play a strong defence and put most of your crew on guardian outside the closest manalith between you, your Base and the enemy. If you have good artillery it shouldn't be a problem, guardian those badboys up to your 'lith paired with some scarabs, a few snipers and maybe an ent and watch as the enemy falls on your defences.

Convert his souls whilst he's dead (make sure to focus the wizard with your own spells to make sure he has no chance of retrieving his souls) and eventually he'll be left with a handful of troops which you can smear the walls with by the time you have accumulated all of his souls.

Also watch your heavy Melee in battle, your artillery has a chance of hitting them and causing mega FF.

Watch for bombards btw they're probably the most lethal of the artillery units.. They have the highest range (I think) and deal a Shit ton of aoe damage. If you have any decent fliers you might wanna use them. They also hate any Melee units engaging with them, so you have plenty of options there.

This is more for the thread overall, I did some digging and I found this:

steamcommunity.com/groups/SacrificeCommunity/discussions/0/864971765503082825/

It's a guide on how to set yourself up for the multiplayer segment of the game as far as I'm aware, it's Amazing that people are still playing this game online! Inspiring really. Don't have a chance to check atm I have to go to work but looking forwards to checking it more thoroughly later!

Hopefully you Anons can benefit from that shit too!

I want to beat up Moloch as a smug amphibious Egyptian deity that enjoys random repeating digits.

Check the latest spell and creature you won. I've noticed that missions often play a bit like a puzzle where the latest spell and creature you won are very usefull for the situation you find yourself for that mission in particular.

Also, play to your God's strength. Persephone has Life Regen and loads of healing, you can outheal Pyro's damage and make your creatures last much longer.

Lastly, if there's a specific unit that's harming you, make it's counter. If it's melee units screwing you, make flying, etc.

Nigger that applies to most vidya.

Isn't James the first to send you to kill another god? And not even tell that what you're doing will kill him until after the fact? I mean, it's the Pyro guy who's a giant asshole but still.

Because boulderdashes murder everything and are OP as shit.

Only thing more OP is "animate dead" spell.

Well, supose I was to make a remake of this game.
Now supose I got an artist that can do low poly reasonably well.

What could be improved on it (besides the control scheme)?

add skeletons

I mostly remember Stratos' and James' spells. Persephone's were just pretty boring from what I recall. I used to love dicking around making maps, probably still on an old ass hard drive.

Holy shit, you're right
Charnel considered for low tier necromancy.
I know it's more a "pestilence and destruction" deal, but come on, at least one bonnington would be enough.

more unit variety, base building, more gods, terrain manipulation, better and different kinds of neutral units, have it open world instead of missions based with a focus on faction territory taking and holding

also needs more gods

Fix the fucking control sche- oh.

Well, more unique units for the various factions would be nice. A proper pop-up map, and various comfort features.

More emphasis upon custom content and modability. Think ut2004/2003 level of modability for online/offline. I feel that the amount of units are sufficient but it would nice to see different variations of the same unit like how the units in C&C Generals: zero hour work differently with different generals

I like the idea of basebuilding to an extent, but in the sense of chekov's gun that building has to serve some kind of purpose rather than just acting as some kind of decor.. Maybe different units/spells could become available with building different shrines/altars?

Some better hotkeys would be good too, maybe assigning the spells on the hotbar to F1 keys or something groups use the number keys after all when the spell tab is open and assigning the F1 keys to Creatures when the creature tab is open etc.

More gods couldn't hurt either I suppose. A more dynamic campaign too rather than just next mission, exposition, next mission, exposition.

DEFINITELY.

Also is an inventory/rpg system out of the question? The game kind of already includes rpg elements with the boons, why not give wizards more intricate control over how they want to express their powers and utilities?

Also if we're going to go to an autistic level and extend the development time by even further, creating custom units similar to alpha centurai or some suchwould be nice.

And maybe creature experience ranks/veterancy too.. How would these hero Creatures exist if the default Creatures never benefit from gaining experience from kills?

He's also the ONLY one to suggest peace, to which all the other gods unanimously shout "NO!". Pretty sure that's before anyone dies too.

Because Sacrifice didn't make very much money. It was a risk that did not reward.
Don't get me wrong, It's an amazing and overlooked game, but companies don't want to take risks. They want GTA/Cowadooty money, and they want it now.

I love this game, but if there's one problem; is that defense is the main strategy. You capture one manawell, guardian a bunch of units to it to increase their strength, then wait for the enemy wizard. Kill the wiz ASAP, kill as many of his minions as you can before they retreat and then convert their souls. Rinse repeat till you hold the most souls then attack.

Sacrifice vet here,

Can confirm that this is basically what the game devolved into back in the day when we played this multiplayer at my LAN parties in the early 2000s.

That's how SP works too really, you don't even have to kill the wizard every time.

That's why I said James is very strong, since his tough, hard hitting, but slow units are designed for defense. Of course in the campaign it's best to mix them with a bit of other stuff, like some Persephone healers and maybe even a couple of Stratos speedsters, his first level is easily the best option.

I figured that the best way to revamp and remake the minion side of this game would be to completely ditch the "souls" mechanic and slap something new that could be automated:

As for formations:
It increases the scale of the conflict when you can control just 6-7 entities (the platoons) but each have 25 minions (you're effectively controlling about 175 minions directly).

Basically, Multiwinina (hope you anons played it, it's great) applied to Sacrifice.
Spells are pretty good already, I wouldn't really touch them much.

Yes, this is how you're going to make your game last. And then the natural conclusion of this train of thought is to F(L)OSS it.

Dental hygiene is very important to vydia, yes.

I take it you Anons never used pyro/charnel's final spells in these instances? Every time there is piled Creatures onto manaliths, calling the grim reaper or summoning a volcano seems to kill everyone *very* quickly.

I can however admit that I often play this strategy, and it works well, but the way to effectively deal with it is to use spells/artillery, and if the enemy has piled on artillery then to use the final spells.

By doing this tactic you're also giving the majority of the map to your enemy, so you need to find a decent balance between defence and attack.

I feel like this is the natural conclusion to things, it would essentially mean that any of these ideas could be implemented if they gained enough traction/were in the right hands.

As you say, it would also improve the lifespan considerably Imo.

That just doesn't sound like sacrifice anymore user.. If you change too much you lose what made the originals so unique

That's the major problem with remaking old games, ain't it?
What about Sacrifice makes it the game it is?
What is essentially to preserve, and what needs an overhaul?
It's easy answering these things.

I personally would change minion control like I said purely to have lots and lots of tiny things running around dying en masse.
But yeah, it stops being sacrifice since the original was more focused on small scale skirmishes.

what makes sacrifice, sacrifice is the setting, story and characters

and the unique gameplay
and the fact that it was too strong for the other pcs

Is SavageXR like Sacrifice? Or Brutal Legend or Guilty Gear 2? I've not played Sacrifice, but from videos, it looks similar to those games, albeit more complex than the last two.

No, not at all.
Guilty Gear 2 is closer to a musou game, only you pick the mooks that spawn in your base.
SavageXR is an RTS game, where one player per team is the commander and the other's are the units.
It's also a pile of shit with some of the worst netcode ever that gets exploited by veterans and until you play 958374958 hours of it, you'll never learn to properly compensate for it and wonder why nothing connects with an enemy, seryously fuck that game with a rake up it's ass.

You can think of Sacrifice as a sort of RPG where you can only pick Wizard. And you specialize in minions. See, you have all those spells you get (some basic projectiles, some shields and some terrain-changing one's) but those only change the game when used at the right time. It's the minions that you have that trully change the game. Formations, having them defend points.
Here's a basic overview of a fight in Sacrifice:
Even taking one single soul from the enemy was crucial. After 4-5 skirmishes like this, one wizard would have 10 more souls and utterly crush the match on the next engagement.

Afterthat, it's a matter of personal style.
Do you clump creatures together and attack in a massive block worst idea.
Do you scatter them and have them attack from all sides? harder to recover souls when they die.
Do you strike from afar, from up close?
When do you discharge your lvl9 spells that destroy souls and completely change the battle? And can be interrupted if the enemy is expecting it.
And that's not touching the most exotic aspects, like Charnel has a creature called a Demon that can EAT other creatures and get stronger. This means that by the end-game, the only creatures around might be 2 or 3 of those demons on your side, but they're so massively strong, your oponent is downright fucked.

The ebb and flow of power, both on the tactic and the strategic scale.
Gain ground, lose it, regain it again. Gather souls, lose souls, recapture them. Sacrifice power in the form of souls for ground, sacrifice ground for souls. Sacrifice creatures that bind the enemy while you cast one of your AOE heavy hitters.
Sacrifice is about sacrifices, the right one at the right time at the right place can turn almost certain defeat back into uncertainty, maybe even victory.

All the mechanics, the artstyle, the branching story structure. All the weird charm.
Graphics and controls.
Maybe better unit AI with defensive or offensive settings to their behavior.
Could also be nice to add an apprentice/familiar creature that can autocast some lowclass utility spells like calling sac doctors, healing creatures or speeding them up.

I think

Summed it up well. It's essentially a tug of war for control of the map and for the level of souls. Souls are undoubtedly the most important factor, and even the main resource in the game – even more important than mana to an extent as having no souls whatsoever would not even grant you a manohor.

I do find that however that the main winning tactic in most games is simply to pile your creatures on defence and then by putting guardian on them. I feel like the game would encourage other tactics/behaviours more if guardian-ing units costed a level of souls that were appropriate to each creature especially since one unit that has been 'guardianed could probably fight against at least 2/3 other creatures of equal power. I know these units are unable to move, but regardless I feel that their staying power and capability more than makes up for it.. These souls could be refunded on death of course; some of those spells are nasssty.

Another thing that could add a bit of variety could be maps set in huge, expansive interiors without somehow infringing upon available room compared to other maps like a gigantic cathedral or an enormous dungeon.. Something like that.

Completed the main game the other day, very satisfied, but I'm still itching to play more..

Any anons here wanna try multi?
Would have to be TCP/IP