ITT: games that make you think "this is like X before X was a thing"

ITT: games that make you think "this is like X before X was a thing"
I recently played Medievil 1 and 2 and I found them eerily reminiscent of Dark souls/Bloodborne respectively

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I was going to post and call you a faggot, but in the time I was typing that up, I considered what you said, and you're actually kinda right.

MediEvil deserves a remake.

Also can someone post the OST?

I would think severance: blade of darkness was dark souls before dark souls was a thing.

Be careful what you wish for

What is the Dark Souls of roguelike platformers?

well it's the same dev team and the game is almost a spiritual predecessor like king's field so I guess that goes without saying.

FOR YOU

Forgive me for not buying into the "X is liek DORK SOULS GUIS I SWEAR!!!!" meme, but I don't see how Medievil is much like Dark Souls at all. Plenty of 3D games had a higher focus on short ranged fighting with medieval weapons, Medievil was oriented towards platforming and a loose movement, things that Dark Souls wasn't much about.

twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls

Don't taint Medievil with Souls shit, please user.

It was a good game but they have literally nothing in similar. To het the chalice and new weapons/upgrades, you have to kill every enemy. Where is that in souls? There are gimmick levels and "puzzle" levels.Where is that in souls? Etc etc I could go on forever but can't be bothered.

I thought it was an amazing game when it came out, probably 90% of disc space was taken by the glorious CG, and a lot of levels were not only interesting but also very familiar and creepy, especially the village where you use the air blower to melt the bust, and the labyrinth where you use the mouse, and the castle where you have to make the chickens eat the feed to get in.

Those small things were mindblowing at the time I played it, I admit I was young and didn't have much PC experience but it pushed what console games can do.

well with that particular example I was talking more about a thematic similarity, the gameplay obviously has a completely different focus, what about this then:
Pitfall 2 is metroidvanias before metroidvanias where a thing

Resurrection was not that bad, except for the little pop-culture joke spewing jew.
They don't even actually even say if he manages to back to his original form, the game actually forgets about him. I am pretty much 95% he was added in the last month of the game's development.

That's also not true. The only thing they have in common is the fantasy-medieval setting (incredibly fucking common in videogames), but they differ in Medievil being comedic in tone (atmosphere, setting, monsters, dialogue, etc), where Dark Souls is pretty dark and serious.
Sure, Medievil had the spooky thing going on, but it was more Tim Burton spooky rather than actually dark and serious

Seriously, you need to stop with this awful Dark Souls meme.

Bejewelled, Zuma Deluxe and other Popcap games are like mobile games before mobile games were a thing.

Resident Evil before resident evil is a pretty obvious example.

Oh my fuck. That looks spectacularly awful. If I wanted better graphics I'd just just use ePSXe
And I'm not even talking about the humor (which is known to be terrible and a really big insult to the original), the gameplay looks awful and like they threw in the moves the original Medievil had just for nostalgia and didn't account for them in the gameplay.

video games were like fun before Holla Forums was a thing

Gee, I wonder why?

Goof Troop is 4 Swords before 4 Swords and Batman Forever is Mortal Kombat Mythologies before Mortal Kombat Mythologies.

Goof Troop's the good one while Batman Forever is really shit.

I'm sure I'll get crucified for comparing a game to Undertale, but here goes nothing:

Medievil is my favourite game, but I also really like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls & Bloodborne and never thought that it was particularly similar to any of those three. I suppose you could argue that it's thematically similar to Dark Souls (and, to a lesser extent, Demon's) in the sense that you play as an undead guy who can keep coming back after he dies, but beyond that I don't really see it.

Best track in the game coming through.

Pitfall 2, Impossible Mission, and Montezuma's Revenge were proto-metroidvanias before either Metroid or Castlevania were a thing at all.

Except he is wrong because the only similarity between Kings Field and Dank souls is the atmosphere

The Ancient's Gate was more Dark Souls than the modern dark soul game.

I heard they made a PC port for King'd Field at one point. should I look for it or emulate the PS1 version?

I liked this one better

I don't see what's wrong with it?

What a fantastic open ended game. One of the best for Ps2. Talking about obscure Ps2 waifus, Jen from Primal will always be mine.

You're in a city, you can freely roam around. Go to point A, scoop up something, then go to point B before time runs out and repeat until you beat the game or fail the mission. It's pretty much like Crazy Taxi.
You can harm pedestrians and they can (and will) harm you too. Cops will shoot you down if you give them the finger and/or jump on their car. It's pretty much like GTA.
A shame the control is shit. You have to smash the button to go faster but, that aside, it's worth playing if you can.

watch this and see

Courier Crisis also has a bitchin' soundtrack.

No PC port, they made a map-creating tool called Sword of Moonlight and some fans have recreated the first two games in it, but it isn't quite the same. I'd recommend emulating instead, but make sure you're getting the right games, they fucked the numbering during localization.

Goof Troop is good when you have a friend. I'de never bother with it alone though.

>LA LA LA LA LAAAAA
>A GOOD SOUL HAS BEEN LOST!

Medievil has one of those soundtracks where you could make a case for just about any track being the best, really.