Can we have a GBA thread? I've been playing the shit out of the gba library now that I finally got my everdrive

Can we have a GBA thread? I've been playing the shit out of the gba library now that I finally got my everdrive.

What are your favorite games?
What are you playing right now?
What gba game made you rage hard as fuck?

Im playing Megaman Zero 2 right now and holy fuck, I dont remember this shit being this tough.

Other urls found in this thread:

projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?50474-GEN-III-Mystery-Gift-Tool-Nintendo-Events-Wondercards-e-Trainer-cards-and-e-Berry-editor-(and-more!)
mega.nz/#F!u0ckXLoI!9FHoV0bIikOUgnnaHI3iEQ
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14kuiSrAL3GGvux93lYf3TRv4i309qeZFDt0weMh34o8/edit#gid=0
krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5139.0
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_other_event_distributions_in_Generation_III#English
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Rocks_America
projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?46883-GEN-3-Mystery-Gift-Research&p=222128&viewfull=1#post222128
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

M&L Superstar Saga, Megaman Battle Network, Wario Land 4
I've only got a GBC + Flashcart combo now, so I'm playing Mario's Picross and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters. Also the GBC got a port of Daikatana for some reason
Warioware's one-life mode. Usually because I'd do well and then fuck up an easy game.

Not playing anything right now but I have all GBA mainline Pokemon games, sometimes I want to play them but I have been busy, I would also want to buy a flashcard, there is an EZ Flash 4 that now supports microSD cards I believe.

Been replaying Minish Cap recently.
Wish Royal Valley had a place to fly in to at the Graveyard. Gets annoying having to go through that admittedly short Lost Woods style section every time.

I wish this would happen more often

Circle of the Moon is the best. Mario Party Advance was a steaming pile.

I enjoy CotM myself, but it's a bit awkward in some ways, and initially had visibility issues until the SP brought side/backlighting for handheld vidya west (the Game Boy Light having not come out here). At least now that's become not so much an issue, while it's successor Harmony of Dissonance suffers in the opposite direction of the color palette being way too saturated (CotM's darker palette certainly fitting with Castlevania but making it initially hard to see on an unlit screen). Aria of Sorrow was a good middle ground palette-wise.

I prefer Aria of Sorrow, but Circle of the Moon is still pretty damn good. Say what you want about the GBA audio chip, but CotM probably has my favorite rendition of Aquarius.

Handhelds are and will always be garbage tier. Kill yourself.

Been playing Golden Sun, forgot how good it was.

Weak bait tbqh famalamadingdong

Golden Sun (the GBA duology anyhow) are games I have a soft spot for especially since a friend giving me a copy of the first game got me interested in JRPGs to begin with, despite their issues. Shame that the most room there is for discussion on the series these days is how disappointing Dark Dawn was and how much freedom for editing the script NoA was allowed.

Main issue for the GBA if you ask me was simply that it wasn't current too long. I like both the GBA and DS, but it didn't take long for Nintendo to drop the idea that the DS would be "third pillar" and it quickly overtook the GBA before the GBA's time in the light might have been otherwise over (the DS would reign for a good eight or nine years and still saw the occasional non-shovelware/licensed game after that until 2012 or so).

I've got it and it works pretty well. There's an Everdrive out for the GBA now though, if you're willing to spend more. It supports RTC and it might have better compatability.

projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?50474-GEN-III-Mystery-Gift-Tool-Nintendo-Events-Wondercards-e-Trainer-cards-and-e-Berry-editor-(and-more!)
Been replaying Pokemon again. Now that someone made a tool to make it possible to "legally" obtain the event Pokemon, I might actually try and finish the Pokedex. For some reason the "shareable" wonder cards they made can only be shared via the initial cart, but apparently Wonder Cards have an option for infinite distribution so I just changed it to that. (Saves can only have 1 card at a time, but I have a flash cart so that's irrelevant to me.)
I know not many people play the gen3 games anymore since we're well past the console lifespan, but the thought of people being able to share the wonder cards still sounds nice. I can at least do this for my friends who still play the games on occasion.

I have an EZ4 that works well for GBA games and as a slot-2 cartridge for DS save dumps.
I heard that kernel 1.75+ disables DS mode and may cause incompatibility with non-HC SD cards. Anyone know if it's safe to update from 1.72 or if I should just stay on that version?

An EZ4 averages around $40, while the Everdrive GBA is $100. I know it has RTC and probably doesn't need patching, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $60 unless someone really wants that clock for the Hoenn games.

I still remember being angry that in the US we weren't even given the option to go to Faraway Island to catch Mew in Emerald (no Old Sea Map distribution here), and instead were just given it as a handout. Same for Arceus in DPPt. It's like someone thinks no one out here actually wants to battle and catch certain Pokemon, despite the option for the event being in the fucking game already (unlike, say, Jirachi, where in RSE there wasn't the option to actually battle one to obtain it).

GBA emulation on the PSP is breddy rad although I do miss the real thing. Regardless I can play all those shitty Yugioh games I never got as a kid.

They created an Old Sea Map Wonder Card that's compatible with international games at least. I was able to distribute it to my Emerald cart and visit the island just fine. They had to create fake cards for events that are either missing or unreleased, but the respective Pokemon are still obtained legitimately so they can transfer through Bank. (Can't test it, but I'll take their word for it.)
A couple saves didn't seem to register the wonder card in my flash cart right away, but opening them in mGBA then saving seemed to fix it.

I think one of the unofficial DS servers tested a fake Arceus event that worked, but I don't know if they still have it obtainable for download or not.

I'm also pissed with the handouts. It feels so unrewarding to just be given the Pokemon vs. actually having to battle and catch them like every other Pokemon. Plus, what's the point of having events if they go unused? (Though I guess that's why they ditched them in later games.) At least it was one thing when it was rare legendaries or promo Pokemon with exclusive moves being given out instead of being part of the main story.

The odd thing was that some of the items they actually would distribute, but others they refused to. Like that hotel key for DPPt, or that pass to Naval Rock in FRLG/E. I could see maybe stopping doing it if it was just proving too hard to organize back when you had to do system-to-system downloads, but with the DS games and on they've had no excuse for opting out of item distros. The west could have gotten the Azure Flute, could have fought Arceus above the Spear Pillar. But nope, instead just go to fucking Gamestop or wherever and download Deergod instead.

Some are also disproportionately distributed. Deoxys got a bunch of download opportunities while Naval Rock only had a couple. I'm surprised they didn't do them at the 10th Anniversary considering they're events people would have really wanted. At least I got Celebi from that because I don't know of any other event in the US where I could have gotten one.
Speaking of that, was there a 20th anniversary tour or any kind of event like 10th anniversary? I thought they would have done something but all I saw were download events via wifi. (I skipped them because I quit this gen early on.)

They had the Naval Rock pass at the 10th anniversary where I live. Of course, it was only at the actual convention, not just at Gamestop or Toys'r'us or wherever they usually had them at the time.

best game is Mother 3 hands down, especially for the music. probably the best use of the gameboy advance's sound card ever.

I have an EZ-Flash IV, a GameBoy Player, and an SD Gecko ripoff, is there anything special I can do with this other than that one unofficial GB Player disc replacement thing? Also, is it normal that Emerald tries to load my Fire Red save?

I recently bought one of these and an EZ IV. Cost a pretty penny, but god damn is it worth it.

I want to fuck that micro.

feels good man

Play it.

I just saw that 2 days ago, it really interests me again. I have an X5 and it's convenient for a few things, namely RTC, a very simple menu which I can appreciate, no patching for roms, RTC for the games and the romhacks, native support for gooma/goomba color so you don't have to build the bizzare library roms, and the thing loads stupidly fucking fast.

I've been slow playing GBA lately though because my backlit OG GBA has been triggering my 'tism whenever I see dust under the screen lens, but no matter how much compressed air and lens wipes I go through it never gets clean. Also I've been playing pokemon moon.

So what's the benefit of this over the regular GBA? Always thought it was fucking retarded to have shit this small.

GBI is incredibly superior to the GBP Disc. You can also do save dumps and inject if you have the gba-gc controller adapter.

it has a backlit screen like the ags-101 and it's tiny. It also has no GB/GBC support at all.

Also since I shill this everywhere I go: If you own any GBA VC on Wii U you should dump it, I've found a ton of roms with differences from the original dumped from wii u. Zero 3 even expands from 8MB to 16MB. You can get them here:

mega.nz/#F!u0ckXLoI!9FHoV0bIikOUgnnaHI3iEQ

One of the most well known is SMA4/SMB3 which has all the ecard levels included with the VC rom.

So what's major differences? Anything notable in Zero? Maybe the fucking blood back?

For most of the games, no idea. Some of the stuff like battle network and super mario advance 4 are known, but for the most part all of this is 100% undocumented. I originally saw some VC games in no-intro that made me curious, but no matter how much I looked I couldn't find anything so I started dumping as many GBA games as I could get my hands on. Problem is, there's still no real information on them and I don't really know how to do all that by myself. I have a spreadsheet of games that I've dumped, however if anyone has something I don't have listed it'd be appreciated if you could do it, it's super easy to dump from the wii u and if you dump /vol with ddd you can make a full loadiine-ready game out of it too.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14kuiSrAL3GGvux93lYf3TRv4i309qeZFDt0weMh34o8/edit#gid=0

Psst, I got what you're lookin' for right here.

I got a GBA everdrive back when they shipped in august. Sure, they're a bit expensive compared to the ez-flash 4, but I absolutely love the thing.

A little-known fact about the Everdrive is that it draws much less power when compared to the EZ-flash.
krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5139.0

for what purpose

Really? I went to the Journey Across America event (which was part of the 10th anniversary events) at a mall 2 cities over and they just had Celebi and the top 10 picks. There were some DS demo stuff as well like for Trozei, but I didn't have a DS at the time.
Also, did you get the Naval Rock Pass while you were there? If you still have it on a copy of US FR/LG, the project I referred to earlier is still looking for a legit US Mystic Ticket for the Kanto games.

I'm pretty sure it was Journey Across America, but checking Bulbapedia they have no listing for it ever having been in my state. I can't exactly think of something else big Pokemon related that would have warranted renting out the convention center at the state capital (where they had a download booth and other stuff for the anniversary celebration). And we never got Celebi here for Gen III where I live either.

I unfortunately didn't get the Mystic Ticket for FRLG, only Emerald.

So apparently Rocks America and Journey Across America were 2 different events. (I remember now that a lot of events were going on during those years. I forgot the differences) Rocks America had the Wonder Cards which you probably went to, while I went to Journey Across America which had the free downloads but no Wonder Cards.
Were any of these events in your city?
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_other_event_distributions_in_Generation_III#English
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Rocks_America

Reminder that Fire emblem 7 is better than Awakening and Fates combined.

Oh, right. I guess it was Pokemon Rocks America then. They didn't bother with Journey Across America here for some reason. I don't think the one I went to had downloads for the Eon Pass of the Aurora Ticket, just the Mystic Ticket.

projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?46883-GEN-3-Mystery-Gift-Research&p=222128&viewfull=1#post222128
If you're willing to dump and share your save, it looks like they still want Rocks America tickets. I'm actually impressed they're still collecting tickets from missing events despite already having the tickets they need. (I'm not part of their project, but I do like the work they're doing. I also happen to like preservation of games and software.)

What is the best gba emu? I'm still using VBA..

Sorry, I don't have my copy of Pokemon Emerald around anymore either.

Mgba.

mgba, vba-link if you need to do link cable or wireless adapter emulation