The first game you ever played

What was it and how old were you? Do you still play it now that you're old and depressed?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/msdos_Boston_Bomb_Club_1991
mega.nz/#!S4wnEAiD!4wgaYpc6uPN8w4q_gdPBLAbwQXBgRb9u0qyEiqYOFSE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

get on my level

Seriously what was the point of this thread?

Ghosts N' Goblins on the NES. I was maybe 5. Hell yes I still play it.

I was 3 I think. Played it with my Dad. Still play it every now and then, as I have it on not only my PC, but my phone and PSP as well

I just like hearing about people's first experiences with videogames. It's normally really positive. I think remembering how things felt can help you enjoy things more today. Even if the industry is majorly fucked up.

Oh wait, no, it wasn't Ghosts N' Goblins. I had a DOS computer before I had an NES, and I played tons of those awesome "1000 Games in One" games. Shit like Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, and the like. My first game was probably something like Sim Ant, Sim Tower, or Skyroads. Skyroads was the shit. I don't play any of those old DOS games anymore.

I could never get into DOS games. When my family got a computer I was thinking it would be like having another NES, but even things like Commander Keen just felt so different. I think I had The Simpsons arcade game though and enjoyed that even though it was far from arcade perfect.

I always wanted a NeoGeo so bad

Sonic 2 is definitely the first game I remember but I can't say for sure if I actually did anything other then watch since I must have been younger then 2 at the time and our geneses ended up breaking.

Aside from that the first game I have vivid memories of playing myself would be Ocarina of Time.

Hmmm.

Either Mysterious Song on MS-DOS or Treasure Mathstorm

God, I feel like a babby

Pitfall on intellivision. I don't remember how old I was. Definitely younger than 10. I don't play it anymore but I've been thinking about getting back into SimLife, which I also played as a young kid.

Age of Empires 1. I was 5 when I played it

Check out how young I am. Gex: Enter the Gecko.

First was Mario Bros. then on the same day Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers. Those are some of my earliest memories. I don't even remember who's house I was at.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Apparently from when I was 2 so said my dad.

Only played it in 1998 though

The shitty Ninja Turtles game on NES. I was late to the party, must have been like 7 I think. Before vidya I just played with clay like a retard.

Most of the ports were shit, but tons of the native DOS games were pretty great. Jazz Jackrabbit was one of the best.

I think it was Pacman for the Atari 2600, not sure because the first I recall was Donkey Kong Jr for the same system.

That system was legendary in my country, considering it was also very expensive is not a surprise.

Let's see…
Didn't get a console until I was a little older, but I remember being very young and going to a friend's house where they had an NES. The earliest game I can remember was Spot: The Video Game.

Those friends were the shitty kind of friend who never let you play with their toys. I also recall that their grandma lived with them and made Bacon and Rice for them whenever they wanted. Little faggots refused to share and I grew to hate them for it.

Later, we got a SNES and played the hell out of Super Mario World.

That would be Maximum Carnage for SNES. I haven't played it in years, but will probably do that now. Thanks for the reminder OP, you are only a half fagot today

I barley remember it at all, but it was some star wars game that had a cliff level with yetis, and later on it had one of those giant 4 legged machines you saw on the Hoth battle I think. It was a fairly tight room to.

But the first game I can remember clearly is the original Mario Bros for the GBC, then shortly afterwards Pokémon silver or blue, can't remember

A star Wars racing game for the Nintnedo 64

Super Mario Bros for the NES.

Some Rat-maze game on a Macintosh SE/30. A year(I don't remember), later I'd see Warcraft 1 and Wolfenstein 3D.

Those zombies still freak me out

on a commodore or something, i haven't played it since

HoMM2, on an army base where my dad used to work at back then. He took me there, put me in front of the computer and just let me play. Good times.

Metroid Other M lol XD
MORE LIKE OTHER MANURE XDDDDD

I tried this so many times as a kid, but I could never beat it. I don't even think I came close to the end either. It seemed pretty hard.

Super Mario World, i was 4.

Fuck nigga I can't remember that. I'll post the first game I remember then.

Either Super Mario Bros. Alex Kidd in Miracle World or the original Pitfall.

And then we broke the Commodore joystick with Decathlon.

I don't remember

I'm not sure if it was the first but I think it was close enough.

Some educational game on an old Macintosh at school. You were shown two numbers on the bottom & a fraction/decimal value between them was displayed at the side (I think) & you had to drop a seed between the two numbers where that decimal/fraction would be in order for the seed to grow into a flower. I think you could get close to the spot & still get a smaller plant. It had Atari-like graphics.

That's really the first video game I can remember playing. Pretty sure it was early in elementary school. I'm surprised I can remember it since I generally cannot remember thing that far back in my childhood.

Anyone has that pic of the user that loved the SC 64 case?

Apparently it was either Sonic Adventure 2 or Crash Bash

but games really clicked in when I was playing Burnout 3

I was 5 when my dad took me to the arcade and I played this glorious game.

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt (The SMB part specifically). i think i was around 2 years old, don't remember how far into 2 years old though.

Generic, i know.

Wait nevermind I got it

The first one I played, or the first one on my own rig?
If the first in general: most probably the original Wolfenstein 3D.
If the first on the PC I owned, most probably a 2D platformer titled Zool.

I was a tween at the time and I don't play them anymore.

My first console game was Alex Kidd
My first PC game I can't remember, probably Titus the Fox to Marrakech and Back on DOS

To be honest I don't remember what was the first time I got close to an arcade, and I've been hitting machines before preschool.

Final fight I guess?

Say what you will about the prequels, but man, Star Wars games.

Probably the Mulle Meck-games or some ABC-learning games. t. not underage :^)

First game I can remember playing was either DKC2 or Kirby Super Star on the SNES that my mom bought when we moved just south of the fucking north pole so that we had something to do other than freeze our asses off in the winter.
I have a copy of DKC2 laying around, but that shit is fucking brutal.

My first games were little educational games on the PC and ones about dinosaurs and shit. My dad got half of that shit on eBay but I have no idea where it came from before that. I probably have the only existent copies of some of those things.

I used to watch my dad play games on the PC a lot as a kid too. Things like Unreal and Diablo for the most part. I guess I was exposed at a pretty early age to what made games good. My dad doesn't buy games anymore. I don't often either. So much is shit.

Oh yeah, I was around 2-4 years old then.

Super Mario Kart on SNES. My dad and I used to play it a lot together.

But now he's gone and I'm all alone

Super Mario World

Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt i had the cartridge that had both i was 4 when i started playing video games just looking back reminds me of the good times i had with Super Mario Bros. and my first rage quit with Duck Hunt due to the fucking dog.

like 12 xD

Oh wait, that doesn't really work as a joke.

Technically, my first was a Sears-brand licensed 6-in-1 Pong/Breakout/Basketball/etc machine. The kind that had the controllers built into the console itself and had a REALLY long AV cable. But that was more my older bother's game.

The first console that I really used was the TI99/4A, and while I don't remember exactly what my first game on it was - I remember playing Hunt the Wompus, Parsec, Q-Bert, Munchman (pacman clone), and fucking Donkey Kong, back when Nintendo was just a third party developer.

My first PC game was King's Quest IV. I got it shortly after getting a Sega Master System, and KQ just blew me the fuck away compared to anything I played on consoles.

My first online game was, I think, Legend of the Red Dragon - or a DOOR version of Drug Wars that I played on the local BBSs back when those were a thing.

I was like 4-5, some Commodore 64 game. Young enough that I don't even remember, so random C64 game I know I DID play as a kid attached.

And yes, I still play my TI/994A games, though through a emulator on my PSP. My brother just returned the Sears Breakout console a few months ago, after I loaned it to him so he could show his kids what he used to play on as a kid. Haven't played King's Quest IV in a while, but I still go through and play the entire Quest for Glory series about once every year or two. Goddamned QFG was a fantastic game series. Well ahead of their time.They'd be perfect for a remastering and put up on XBLA/PSN.

Don't play LORD much anymore, but aside from a few retro enthusiasts - Renegade and RIPTerm isn't much of a thing anymore.

Not sure which was strictly my first, but I remember having played Wolf3D, Doom, RoTT, Gauntlet, Joust and Mortal Kombat by the time I was 5.

Also lots of other shareware crap that I can picture but not name and a few games on 5.25" floppies. One was a sidescroller set in Egypt which you played as Ra. I remember that since it blew up my Amstrad.

Violent games at a young age did me wonders.

I remember going up to a software store in South Bend with my dad and buying an entire garbage bag full of software on 5.25 floppies. 3.5's were just starting to fully take over, and a lot of software back then was still just garage products which didn't have boxes - just slipped in a sandwich baggie with a few printed out notes on how to operate it.

Pic related was probably the best of the bunch (for me anyhow). Dracula in London.

Simcity for SNES

Sure

I'm still pretty autistic about city sims.

Ether this or this or it was maybe Number Crunchers or Oregon Trail on my school computer. But its also partly because my cousin gave me their Atari 2600 as a hand me down when they got a NES in the late 80's early 90's.

Like 3 or 4 years old.

My niggerino

Nicktoons racing, I was like 5 when it came out

3d wolfenstein or maybe some atari game or an arcade game, i dont know

I think it was DK at a house I was being babysat at. The first real game that I count was Mechwarrior 2, I remember seeing mercenaries in a bargain a few years later an saving all my pocket money and it was even better.

I don't know if my grandmother buying my family an N64 saved my life or ruined my life.

skyrim doge minecraft

actually i think it was a ninja turtles arcade machine, or maybe super mario bros/duck hunt

skyrim

fuck

halo when I was 7

wait what year was halo released? does thi make me underage or not?

you can have undertale

Don't remember, maybe tetris for the first GB?

Nah I think ocarina of time works better here

Black Lives Matter simulator Qbasic gorillas. I must've been somewhere around 6.

The first game I remember playing was Spyro
Though these are early life memories, and I also remember my dad helping me a lot, so maybe "playing" isn't the proper word

Fuck knows I'd remember….I think the oldest memory of my games was pic related

Pac Man at about 3-4 (Can't remember for sure because my memories from that long ago are sketchy at best). I fucking hated it but that was due to my lack of gud.

Pac Man Championship Edition DX is pretty fun though. The first game I ever really enjoyed was probably Super Smash Bros

I honestly cannot remember if it was Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the gameboy color, or some other game.

The SNES was my first non-arcade gaming platform. I think I was 10 or so when I got it. It was a hand-me-down from a cousin, so it came with some games already: Link to the Past, Super Mario World, the original Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Earthworm Jim 2, Super Mario All-Stars. It was a fucking blast. Link to the Past was the first game I ever completed all the way through.
For some reason, we got rid of the SNES after a few years. I don't remember why, but I regret it. That said, I can (and do) just emulate those games and play them with a USB controller. So no, I'm not depressed about it.

If we're counting arcade games and other stuff, my first game was probably Pac-Man or Galaga. I wasn't counting them, though, because I don't think arcade cabinets are proper vidya.

Actually, now that I think about it, the very first electronic game I ever played was some weird handheld thing with a trackball. It had a shitty monochrome screen and a bunch of pre-programmed games. It came with punch cards, and you selected a game by entering its corresponding punch card. I have no idea what it was called.

Sonic the Hedgehog, on the SEGA Master System. I think I was around 3 or 4 at the time. I rebought a Master System just to play it again, and it holds up nicely. That square controller looks awesome but handles like shit

Super mario 64- I was around 8 or 9, I don't really remember. Having beaten it twice, once on the n64 and once on the ds, I do not play it anymore.

Either Pokemon Yellow or some Disney educational game. The Sims 1 as well.

I remember my dad giving me his old computer and hooking me up with BGB and some Pokemon ROMs, but I also had a Game Boy Color and then an SP. I must have been six or so.

Good ol' fashioned late 80's/early 90's edutainment.

i remember a game were you did some math equations, then you could drive a tank and blow shit up.

Reader Rabbit Kindergarten or the Toy Story 2 game, I can't remember. Though the game that actually made me give a shit about vidya was the Bionicle game.

Shinobi II for genesis or some shit, but I can tell you what my first vidya fap was.

Same here.

Circus Charlie.

Fucking rip power stone, capcom doesn't deserve to be your owner.

I always looked over the shoulder of my father while he was playing games like Gabriel Knight or Clive Barker's Undying, but the first one I played myself probably was pic related.

Bootleg Famicom with the typical shit you'd find on a pirate cart. It had Mario, Bomberman, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Galaxian, and that one tank game.

Figured out pic related while kids twice my age couldn't. I was five.

Some stupid platformer on the c64. I have no idea how old I was. Around 7 I guess?

Fucking tape drives man. I still want to strangle whoever thought storing games on tapes was a good idea.

I can barely remember what game I was playing a week ago.

Probably this.
It's atleast one of the first.
I started playing vidya when I was 2 so it's kinda hard to guess…

I envied my cousin for having videogames. He and his friends allowed me to play Silent Hill when I was like 10

your emulation filters look terrible compared to a real crt.

It might be something else, like one of these three games from Silmarils: Metal Mutant, Ishar I and Boston Bomb Club. My memory is like swiss cheese if it comes to early games I played. I had shit taste at the time, being a total newfag, and tried anything that fell in my grasp.

On second thought, I might try this one again:
archive.org/details/msdos_Boston_Bomb_Club_1991

Some game on my mom's computer probably.

Why has the FPS genre stagnated so much since then? It's just all the same shit where the only thing that really changed is the polygon count. I think it even got worse since doom but despite that the best selling vidya in the west is generally the same old FPS shit over and over again that appeals to edgy children that want to shoot and kill people like those retarded jarheads that die for israel like the stupid goyim they are. It's fucking infuriating.

This is why we keep losing to Japan in the video game industry. We'll never be as creative as they are and microshit's division is bleeding money while sonyggers are laughing counting their profits.

My dad used to give me an unplugged controller and told me I was playing while he played DOOM, does that count?

gee it's not like they aren't as stagnant either. it doesn't help that most of their games are effectively boycotted out of the market or ignored by sites who would rather make 10 articles about undertales or other indie game nobody will be playing a year later unlike Rabi Ribi or Umihara Kawase

Did he also give you his penis and tell you to eat it like your favorite ice cream?

Super Mario Bros for the NES. I never actually got to fully play through Ninja Gaiden, Adventure of Link, Peter Pan, and other great NES titles, but I played them as a kid at other people's houses.
We live in an age of convenience. You whipper snappers should consider yourselves lucky to be able to pirate shit. I would have loved to be able to pirate everything under the sun in 1995, when my pockets were empty but my enthusiasm for games was at its peak.

Is there something you want to talk about user?

Some PVP Tank game on the Commodore 64.

Is Separation Anxiety any good?

Korean games are a difficult thing for SJWs to criticize. First of all, you can't like them - because they're sexist, misogynist, patriarchy reinforcing and racist pieces of shit - but you can't call them out on that because they're a minority over here and you're not allowed to criticize other cultures without being racist yourself. There's a few that probably don't trigger them, especially after heavy censorship, but you can't play or enjoy those because they are Korean games and enjoying them would be cultural appropriation.

So just pretend they don't exist.

First one I remember was the demo of Desperados. Downloaded the full version a year back and it was just as good as I remembered.

I had access to so many platforms at a young age that I don't actually remember what I started with, it was either the NES, the Genesis, or a PC. I do clearly remember being there every step of the way as my father full-cleared the first Diablo.
He somehow got in a situation where this stronk fucking shield he had found, killed him if he took it off no matter what health he was at. It carried him to the very end.
My best guess for myself honestly is either Vectorman or Aero the Acro-bat. I sucked at both, and they were still amazing.

Are you me?

First thing I remember was playing this at a buddy's house. I also remember some arcade games around that time, and a couple of years later we got an Atari 400 at home with Pac-Man and Centipede.

Super Mario Bros. 2
It was 1988
I was 5
haven't played it in a few years, but I do still play games from that era

It's similar. It doesn't have the comic book cutscenes, so that's a drawback for me. I prefer Maximum Carnage, but if you like that, give SA a try.

I was about six. I haven't played it since not long after that.

I was about seven. Still have a copy installed.

Good taste. Here's a GOG installer if you want to share it with some friends:
mega.nz/#!S4wnEAiD!4wgaYpc6uPN8w4q_gdPBLAbwQXBgRb9u0qyEiqYOFSE

pong then frogger

oh first pc game was reader rabbit

Super Mario World when I was like 4. Apparently it helped my motor skills or something. Haven't played it since my dad gave my snes away to a family friend and his kids because "they needed it more" (the hookups on theirs was fucked)

rip

Related

Earliest memory of vidya is playing tetris on a gameboy waiting at an airport, I was probably 4 or 5. Can't even remember where the plane was going.

of course you can't, the plane crashed

Oh thank god, I started think reality was real.

I got into gaming really late with Super Mario Sunshine when I was 20. Before that I just read books or watched movies and TV all the time like a pleb.