exhentai.org/g/811436/d064f47995/
docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/step_by_step/gui_tutorial.html
weaverdev.tumblr.com/
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
youtube.com/watch?v=lY6KPrc4uMw&list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS&index=1
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/gdscript.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)
ifwiki.org/index.php/Past_raif_topics:_Development:_part_2#Parsing
gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/27004/how-should-i-parse-user-input-in-a-text-adventure-game
lmms.io/
store.steampowered.com/app/321540/
weaverdev.tumblr.com/post/152119785780/continuing-work-on-a-proper-controller-for-the
cgchannel.com/2015/02/this-free-blender-shader-turns-3d-models-into-pixel-art/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Will the US election affect your /agdg/ output at all?

Well, if we don't consider the possible WW3, no, not at all.
I'm from another country

if you were in a vidya company, what would your nickname be?

♥FUTA×SHOTA LOVE♥

Wait futa on shota? Does that even exist?

Slothcock

Yes, there's a good amount of it. And it's fucking hot.

I don't believe you. How can something that gay exist? You're a liar.

What are some small projects an one man team can do in UE4?

Just realized I went full retard.

Anything if you've got the time and talent

If you want a link, all you have to do is ask.

exhentai.org/g/811436/d064f47995/

Sorry for not posting progress for a while, fucked my wrist up at a party and then it took a while for me to get productive again.

The sculpt is done!
*last post didn't go through on my end so I hope I don't end up double posting*

And an engraving for the empty spot on the skull, Using textures for sculpting in blender is ass, so I'll just put it directly on the normal map.

Yeah if the Wicked Witch of the West Wing wins I'll be drinking quite a bit tomorrow.

After that I'll probably get over it.

Not really.

I'm working on support for alternate languages.

I've actually gotten out of my slump today.

Chances are you won't be able to add a lot of variety without taking a really long time, so try to stick to games where you don't need a lot of different kinds of enemies, weapons, locations, and so on. Don't worry about multiplayer and don't aim for realism.
Unless you don't mind taking a long time, then you can add as much variety, multiplayer, and realism as you want.

Mystlike?

If that's the kind of game you want to make go for it.

First thing that comes to mind really, no character models, no enemies, only scenery and puzzles and some smartass FMVs Obduction was made in UE4 anyways

Definitely sped it up. Trump 16, my man.

MAGDGGA!

MAGDGGA!

How do I add GUI in Godot? I want to make a pause menu.

I have to take my beautiful game and insert HDHD sound effects and mobile banner ads.

button nodes as child of the camera

There's a good tutorial on their website:
docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/step_by_step/gui_tutorial.html

Maybe

I may feel a little less depressed and a little more motivated now that Trump won, and I'm not even american.

Same here.
The results of this election decide some background details of a game I'd like to work on, but Comfy Space Pirates comes first.

An anti-globalist president is good for every country.

yep. now I'm filled with HIGH ENERGY.

Hell yeah, he won.

best part is, we have a shitload of liberal "were the polls rigged? no" material to throw back.

This is the best day of the year.

Best part is CNN is reporting 288 electoral votes. 288

If only it wasn't the middle of the goddamn night I'd feel fantastic

did he die

Yes. RIP.

F

MEME MAGIC STRIKES AGAIN

SHADILAY

I said that if Trump won, I would stop procrastinating and finally start to work on my project again. Good to have no excuses now.

massive boost in morale, starting tomorrow, because tonight i will have to sleep (didn't sleep last night because the election ended 4:40 and had to go to work 6:00)

Now that God Emperor Trump will protect us from the TPP I can rest easy knowing my future as a creative is secure.
Time to hunker down and master Godot

anyone want to rate my model? any advise?

The hammer looks a little low. Otherwise I think it's pretty good.

How can anyone rate it without seeing the geometry?

Also the cylinder looks to need work.

still working on optimizing the geometry.
not sure about the cylinder, maybe i'll simplify the geometry and put the detail into the texture and normal map.

You need better topology, keep your mesh quad only and uniformly tessellated.
Learn to knock out stray triangles and ngons.
Any two triangles that are part of the same surface can cancel each other out.

Keep in mind what you're making the mesh for. Yours doesn't seem to be fit for any purpose.
If it's highpoly meant to be subdivided and baked to a lower mesh, keep the topology as good as you can and pay no attention to the stats.
If it's lowpoly, you should remove unnecessary verts but don't be too stingy either. Besides trying to maintain the silhouette, you should also pay attention to the lowpoly's shading, since exceptionally bad topology can result in sharp shading angles that no normal map will be able to correct. You should also be using hard edges in low meshes to reduce the amount of said artifacts.

Any info on how culling engines work in more open areas (like in s.t.a.l.k.e.r.)? I tried googling it, but this fucking game called "The Culling" is blocking all the results.

Probably a low res octree.

also, look up culling in Cryengine's docs
they seem to be rendering a low res buffer for depth testing in software, and culling based on that

The thing really throwing me off is how to get the info from the game logic part of the game, to the graphics part of the game.

Basically what I have now is a header that is shared between the game and graphics part of the game, that they use as a pipe to pass things back and forth to each other. The only fuckups that can come from this are if in the future I forget or I have someone else work on this somehow, and they try to use the header in a place it shouldn't be in.

Are there any really good Blender tutorials around? I mostly just need to be able to make models and animations for my game, as I'm working without an artist, and good pre-rigged and animated models are hard to come across, so I figure I need to build the skillset myself.

I know my way around the interface, but every time I try to make something, it comes out pretty shit. I don't have an artful bone in my body. There are so many fucking tutorials out there, I don't know which ones are supposed to be the good ones.

You're still running on GLOOME, or did you switch to GZDoom-GPL?

repostan last progress

nyo ho

I swapped to GZDGPL.

Aw yiss, I wondered where you'd gone.

So sexy skull lady is going to sit on me in bed, and putting hands in her keyhole? Kinky.

would godot be overkill for a multiplat text rpg?

I have news for you…

looks good.
I will pirate it when you finish it.

Depends on how much of an rpg it is. Twine might work, but it might be fucky to add rpg tracking to it. Considering Godot exports to HTML5 out of the box, I think it's just a question of Twine's capabilities.

where the fuck do you think you are

and it's done
no more heightmap terrain, no more intersecting meshes

Who is responsible for the moff game and please post the webm with hopping moff again. Cute as hell.

I've been in these agdg thread for a while and I don't remember a moth game. You're either thinking of 4chan agdg or a game that died before I started hanging out regularly in these threads.

There was a webm in the last thread with an AGDG logo in the background and a moff jumping up and down.

Probably 4chan since no sound. Fucking shithole.

My game has a mothgirl but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Was it by this guy?
weaverdev.tumblr.com/

prebaked (saved/loaded mesh), or load/marched at runtime?

I'd look into dual marching cubes, as it's quite a bit fewer verts/polys to deal with, and looks better in the end; while having LoD, but it's quite a bit slower due to requiring recursion/a spatial data structure (it can be a manageable amount, if you optimize it, with say a linear octree instead).
You should also probably average those normals… as it'll negate that hard edged look. You could also run a low-frequency noise to perturb each vert normal to "smooth" it out.

Just suggestions from my experiences delving into isosurface contouring, and not by any means the "way to do it"; as it changes depending on how/what you're applying this to (planned applications, prebaked/runtime, etc).

Depends…
There's various types of culling based on how one renders their geometry, and other such things that define how one will cull.

Common methods are, octrees (3D spatial data structure), quadtrees (2D spatial data structure), clip maps, gpu based occlusion/frustum culling, or something like prebaked culling areas (umbra, f.e.).

The most common that I've seen with open areas, and 3D; are a mixed solution of clip maps and/or octrees.

fug my formatting is off… took a hiatus from the internet for a bit
polite sage

That's a somewhat old webm and yeah it's from 4chan.

I haven't seen him in a while, although I don't follow 4chan's /agdg/ a lot so I might have missed it.

JUST

whats happening here

How the fuck is 6DOF pathfinding supposed to work? Running A* on an octree? Googlefu hasn't brought up much so if none of you anons know anything about it I'll probably have to dig through Descent's source code and figure out what they did.

do not fug moth

Descent's maps are made out of cells, which are cuboids/hexahedrons. It used a portal system to determine which cells on the map were connected and by which face. That alone already gives you some kind of a graph where nodes are cells and edges are portals. This was mainly used for visible surface determination, but I suppose you can use it for pathfinding as well.

touch fluffy moff

no no no

Are those wings real?
Or is it a stuffed toy?

It's an model. From the quality I assume some kind of nip or korean

FUCKING MOTHFAGS GET THE FUCK OFF MY AGDG GOD FUCKING DAMN

I can't be the only one seeing this, right?

I always knew mothfags were weebs

I see a hairy barbarian with big mutton chops and a big fur cloak

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

youtube.com/watch?v=lY6KPrc4uMw&list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS&index=1

Have these two, I learned a lot from them.

i wanna boogie with that moth

Stop mothing, please. This is not the thread or the time for that.

I haven't gotten anything done today or the day before. Today that had more to do with crappy online games than anything else, though.

Work, user. You know that deep down you want to. Strip that laziness down.

Some motivational music for work background.

I'm going to make a lewd text game and no one can stop me :^), also any anons have any experience making a 2 arpg that can share some lesser known tips n tricks

So I realized I don't need a Quad class at all. I had it be a container for 4 VertexPositionNormalTexture struct objects (one per corner) but then I realized I wanted data density, which meant making the Quad into a struct. Then I realized that the only way to do that was to make it an array, so I'm just going to scrap it, and have big arrays divided in groups of 4, each corresponding to a different corner. This also generalizes my code, which is good I guess.

How do I structure a loop in godot or python?

while(condition): do stuff
Hope this helps.

Are you asking for the GDscript loop syntax?

while [x == y]: do stuff

or

var array = {list of values}for x in [array] do stuff.

Source godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/gdscript.html
Ctrl+f "loop" and you should find it.

HOW DO I INTO BLENDER

Wew it feels good to be back in these threads with something to show for myself. I stopped working on my models due to wageslavery, but now I'm back. The Don's victory over the globalist whores inspired me to get back to my modelling.

Here I made a lovely P220 in an even lovelier two-tone in less than 500 polys. As usual, r8, h8, masturb8.

Is it common to have a global.gd script in Godot or is having a global script seen as bad?

ayy

If the script can be used on everything, then it should be in the global scope. I use a singleton for my own math functions and another for my script effect framework, since they can be applied to anything in a scene.

im reading through the Step by Step guide for godot right now, and it says "GDScript does not support global variables by design."

Well it supports universal constants like PI. But you can't make your own without calling a singleton.

o r g a n i z e d

fugg

queue_free()

i don't want to something hacky when it dies it draws a sprite

1. Create a variable for "is_dead"
2. if health==0 then is_dead=true
2. if is_dead==true then play explode
3. if explode animation is on last frame then get_parent().remove_child(self) and queue_free()

Why not if health == 0 then play explode?

Can someone tell me what gamepads are good for their price?
I wanna make a game with analogue controls.

It depends on if dead entities are still going to do things or have any special events or whatever. Typically it's going to be easier and less verbose to check isDead than if health

I wasted three hours trying to get unity to build straight to my phone in the name of 'saving time'

it's your fault for even trying

But that's my job

Just draw a low poly loomis head and slap a decent texture on it, like early 2000s games.

quit while you still can.

When I build the game for any platform, animations and sounds are timed differently than in the editor.

unity please

Is there no way to avoid a million draw calls for anything that isn't static in OpenGL? It seems like indeces are actually just a for-loop under the hood.

I have plans. They aren't good, but I have them.

if health == 0 and is_dead == false then play explode and set is_dead to true

If you have to perform state changes (upload different uniforms, change texture/shader) then no. There are certain tricks you can do, like adding a vertex attribute that is an index used to lookup stuff in an array uniform or decode uniforms from a texture. Hardware instancing does that for you with invocation id. There's also something called uniform buffers, but I've never used them. Keep in mind that opengl has less drawcall overhead than d3d. You don't need to be ashamed of lots of drawcalls in the same way. Also, drawcalls and state changes are mostly a cpu load. You're not consuming gpu time and at worst you'll be cpu limited in rendering, but modern computers are so fast that almost never happens. So don't fuzz too much over it. Drawcalls are mostly a meme, like muh polycount. It's a small, simple thing that people obsess over because understanding the whole picture is too difficult. It's not unimportant, but it's significance is determined by context. Understanding that context is what actual skill is, not knowing the laundry list of buzzwords people call "optimization".

Then again, maybe you've profiled and determined drawcalls to be your bottleneck. If so, good luck and consider hardware instancing.

Static, baked.
Fixed the normals, will look into octrees now.

this is the face of wage slaving

good luck, duck

Working with unity and trying to serialize a scriptable object so I can save a customized player character, only to find out that while SOs are serializable they're not serializable in such a way as to allow exporting them via a filestream.

Now before I write a new datatype to save in and methods to convert the player's state to/from that datatype is there any way to save an instance of a scriptable object created in a script to disk?

Just make a new datatype if it's game data, Unity's serialization isn't too reliable and should only be used for editor things.

An interesting job you got there.

Thanks for your support, guys. I've finally reached the end of my journey.

For fuck sake why is 3d modeling so fucking annoying ? I followed this fucking tutorial to the letter and everytime it when I'm supposed to erase half the vertices (1:33) it just erases everything. I just spend 10 minutes erasing a fucking cube over and over again, IM MAD !

i still can't figure out how people do the symmetry thing in blender
some of us just weren't meant for this

Thanks much. I've seen the wikibooks one, but that was years back. It looks like it's gotten much better since then. I'll download the tutorial videos and give them a watch.

But I just need low poly stuff not the order 1886 on max graphics.

Did you add the loop cut?
Shortcut is Control R

Also, did you deselect all vertices prior to selecting the ones you want to delete?

I don't know how to select or deselect, but the cube was orange if that helps.

Just like learn blendoo

Ok orange means they are selected, press A to select/deselect all, should turn the box grey and let you continue to select with B

Ok, I'll try tomorrow, thanks.

Orange means selected. If you delete when everything is selected of course everything will be deleted.

Right click selects or deselects.

Doing invader from outer Space.

Hands will be added, as well as (a few) inbetweens and secondary animation.

Busy thread.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)
I took some (many) liberties, but the keyhole and sitting on chest theme is pretty common across cultures.

Sorry to leave you without skull ass for so long, It might be a few days 'till I do anything substantial, but hopefully it won't be shit.

Don't quit, Blender is particularly annoying at first, but once you figure out the biggest causes of grief, it becomes manageable. I recommend watching many different tutorials on the same topic, because many people do things differently, and there might be lots of misinformation sprinkled across the videos. Just find what works best for you, I guess.

Onto my next project; A cooking simulator!

cucking simulator?

Will Trump's victory make games great again? Maybe uncucked developers will begin producing good games again.

Make Amazing Games Again

Aspiring c++ programmer here. I'm gonna make a Myst like text based adventure for my first project. Does anyone know how the older text games managed and tracked stuff like inventory, navigation and basic commands? (Like typing "Examine Pen").

Like I know there will be a function to take care of commands and navigation and arrays to track inventory/ states of things but how the fuck do I organize that shit?

Are you on Windows or Linux?

windows
I'm learning with Visual Studio Community.
I'm really just worrying about the basics but I will eventually switch to Linux.

When I was a kid I dicked around with a spinoff that my parents were working on of a popular text based MUD. It was actually one of the first things that got me into the idea of programming and game design. At the time I couldn't really do shit with the code besides look at it and struggle to understand it, but I got to add a little content to the game.
My memory is a bit hazy but I'll post what I can find and/or recall here in a bit.

are you switching to linux for a good reason or because you think that's what programmers do?

I really don't know but I doubt I'll ever get Windows again when I'm done with my current pc (in several years at least). But that's not a concern right now. Right?

Get a second hard drive and install Linux on it and give it a go.

I remember reading a long time ago about some special way that some old games handled it in the past. It had some special name that started with a Z but chances are I'm just thinking of Zork rather than an actual method of accepting inputs. I'll see if I can find it or something like it.
If that fails I'm pretty good with C++ and can give some pointers on how I would handle inputs, navigation, and inventory.

So there's basically two major systems to worry about. First is the parser, which is probably the most annoying task, not because it's necessarily difficult, but because language is flexible and there's a lot of shit people can type into a machine, and you have to decide how many shortcut commands and alternative names for objects and "I don't recognize that" messages to include. Too few and the game feels inflexible and frustrating, but trying to cover all scenarios inflates your work quickly. So the parser took the player's input, made sure it wouldn't fuck things up, and passed it along to the next system, which we called the GM (rpg, remember).
The GM was called every frame and kept track of things like player and creature actions, inventory changes, items on the ground, spell and trap effects, and so on. It would basically just establish what's in the room, check for the player's input and call the appropriate function, then go down the list of active objects in the room (by which I mostly mean "things that do stuff without the player") and do whatever their scripts called for. Generally, the description for a given event would just be included with every function, and the GM would check to see if the player could see the action, and send the appropriate description to the narrator.
The narrator was called any time the user made an input (including garbage), and all it did was just output all the descriptions that the GM had piled up since the last time it was called. The reason we had it this way was that it was a real time game, but we didn't want to call descriptions every frame and spam the player. But if you went AFK for a while, when you came back and hit enter or any command it would spew everything that had happened at you.

This is un-fucking believable.

THIS IS WHY WEB DEVELOPERS ARE A FUCKING JOKE

How I would do it is using regular expressions from a list and take the first option if there are more than two options. You would need to do a whole lot of fiddling but that's off the top of my head.

Do you mean Z machine?

There's more ways to skin a cat, man.

You can write your own parser/lexer for a complete language. (Go read the dragon book, either one?)
You can generate your own parser/lexer with a generator.
You can have a vector of tuples of regex/function pointers, and then search through the vector and see which one matches and call that function.

It all depends on how flexible you want to be. At the end of the day, the game needs to be fun. That's what matters.

That sounds like more effort and more prone to bugs than just rolling the lexer/parser yourself.

Firstly, what your looking for is going to be called a language parser. That should help you with your internet searching. covers this. The best think you can do is stand on the shoulders of giants and build on the work of others.
ifwiki.org/index.php/Past_raif_topics:_Development:_part_2#Parsing
In-fact that whole wiki is a pretty good source. Here's the thread where I found that, it also contains other good sources.
gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/27004/how-should-i-parse-user-input-in-a-text-adventure-game
You will also be storing things like inventory and the rooms in data files. So you'll have individual items with descriptions and properties attached to them that can then be attached to a location or put into your inventory.

That's one way to do it. Regexs can be pretty powerful.

That's what it was, thank you. If only I had spent more time researching Zork I could have found it myself.
But to original user, look into Z machine and Zork, along with what other people have built from that, such as Inform (which is covered in one of the above links).
Don't ever forget this user.

I mean, not to implement the vector and search itself, but to then manage changes to your command/target list without accidentally introducing ambiguities.

Can someone tell me which software is good for making music on Linux?
Also how to deal with tuplets in music trackers?

No idea if it's good (I'm not a musician) but LMMS.
lmms.io/

Thanks, buddy.
Gonna give it a try.

just like make rocks

Thanks for the recommendations guys but I haven't even gone over vectors, parsors and pointers yet and hardly even know what they are. I'll keep studying and get back with you.

I hate the lull of not knowing what project I want to work on after moving on from one/jam.

are you the game dev with the polish cyberwaifu thing?

L O L

some people man

With Linux certain things are much more simple but others require you to do researches, once you git gud you'll feel the love. I had to go back to windows because my computer fried and I seriously miss Linux.

Yeah, I've seen that but It seems that once you're good at Blender you won't really need a full engine anymore (ie just libraries no full gui stuff).

do you have like a website or blog where i can look at what your doing, im a simple man, i like gameplay and cute girls

post more cyberwaifu

One building for the new town down, dozens more to go. I think I'm going about this the non-optimum way. I should probably be making modular pieces instead.

wew

nogamesdev.tumblr.com
at least it's not wordpress

fixed the undo

America elects Trump, and I get over my hump.
This has been a good week.

I'm still having trouble trying to make my quads work correctly via programming, using C#/XNA. I have no idea how many buffers or draw calls are appropriate, or the best way of changing between textures for draw calls.

Shit like is completely beyond me

What game is it going to be?

godot +gscript + signals/connecting
if I have:

main node
child
child

can one child access/change the other child node through signals? or can child nodes only receive instructions from the parent scripts?

figured it out
button to change label text:
add the script to the label
connect the button's pressed signal to the label
code the function in the label script

spaecmon

And a cyka blyad to you, Stalker.

heil hidler ::DD

heil :—DDD

I want to murder blender.

N O A S S

I just want to work on my damn spyro the dragon/zelda inspired game.

Stop being a bitch. Modeling just takes time

If you're making your game with blenders 'game engine' then you probably deserve everything you're getting

No, I'm just trying to make the model with it.

NO ASS?!

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON THE ASS
YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Angry business man with a gun is right, user.
You're just making a sexually exploitable character that will help promote the game, but if the game is shit, then you'll have a tiny ass and a lame game. You need to make the ass big so that you at least end up like Haydee which is a very good ass inside a sorta mediocre game, but at least the ass was big and grabable.

Get dis store.steampowered.com/app/321540/

Anyone know how to make my ass look less like a disco ball?

You could always looks for pictures of various asses and based on the analysis of those references you can calculate the perfect geometrical position of your posterior.

Aw shit, Katia was not supposed to be in there

ASS SLIDER

I DID NOT ASK FOR THIS!
NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS!

I want to fuck that moth girl

My ass had a pretty high vert count, toned it down and it looks better.

Have no fear, the ass is still here.

The retopo just doesn't have the normal map on yet.

as far as I heard that was cancelled

weaverdev.tumblr.com/post/152119785780/continuing-work-on-a-proper-controller-for-the
You gave me false hope that I could steal the idea.

I've got my eyes on you, scumbag.

well that's rather recent, I mean nobody visits 20buxchan anymore
and I don't think anyone would care if you "borrowed" the idea

Smooth shading

Can we talk about game mechanics for a sec?

One game I played recently had an Armor bar that had values roughly around what your HP was at, with more or less depending on your build and items. When you took damage, it was split between HP and Armor evenly, but for every N points of Armor you had, you gained damage reduction. Does this seem like a good idea?

Did anybody try this out?
cgchannel.com/2015/02/this-free-blender-shader-turns-3d-models-into-pixel-art/

Problem with game mechanics is that almost anything can work, but you need to have a good combat design in mind to get most of it working.

Also, sounds bad, if I wear a piece of cloth that means that it can block half of the damage by default? I don't see any problem in an armor absorving all of damage, but I'm assuming that half-absorption is the default minimum which sounds weird.

As long as you have more than 0 armor, half would be absorbed (though it would "bleed over" into HP if it would be in excess)

It was an MMO, and every class had access to a "combat refresh" ability at level 1. This would provide a small amount of armor, hp, or mp every 10 seconds or so. Cloth was balanced so that it didn't add much armor, but had good MP regeneration, for example. Also by means of not having as much armor, you'd just take more damage in general, because of the way the mitigation worked. (something like every 25 armor was 1 reduction)

The problem is my game isn't an MMO, I'm expecting to have 10 or 15 HP at level 1, and maybe gain 6-10 HP every level. With that system, giving significant armor or reduction too early makes early monsters deadly or trivial, it'd be hard to balance.

Maybe I can do something fun, like only shields innately offer damage reduction, with 2H weapons doing a lot of damage to offset the loss of defense. I really want the physical attacks to be relevant (but not outshine magic) when magic is able to hit entire groups

I haven't experimented with Blender at all, but generally I'm mistrustful of any sort of automatic art generation tool. Still, if this works, it could be a way to get some better placeholder art until a proper sprite artist comes along.
Thanks, user.

You're thinking about this too early.

camera is still locked inside the drag margin

pretty much this
Before you start programming you should know which genre your games is and one central mechanic that you are sure you want to have in your game
Everything else is tbd until you have to actually program it in

Grindy dungeon crawler with mostly automated combat.

For some reason it won't move outside of this invisible box that changes sizes when I change the drag margin, and so far I think it has something to do with the way I'm moving the character. pls some1 hlep

almost done lighting all my levels, i was busy for a while so i didnt post here

Just accept the fact that being not-shit at anything takes time, and that any game project that's got any chance of having better-than-shit results will take 2-5 years to pull off.

Is there a standard convention for quad drawing like this, or does it come down to preference?

I'm using triangle lists and a clockwise wrap order, if that matters.

Been spending the better part of the day rendering a location for my shitty porn game. 90% done and I've spotted five or six things that need fixing, which means I'll have to start all over in half an hour.

Beginning to think that 15,000 might have been too many samples.

Doens't matter as long as they're tris. I would keep them same direction though, even if it's just for work flow purposes. Many professional models use the right one in your pic related.

Though, if I have a 256x256 tile map, I'm looking at having 256 VertexBuffers and IndexBuffers and because they need a reference to the GraphicsDevice, that makes me weary

I haven't.
But I will.

if you have groups of the same tiles, you can actually draw them as one quad, and then tile-map the texture over it.

I should have taken a picture of the function before I moved it into c++, but you're just going to have to trust me when I say that now it is so, so much neater and easier to read. There's probably a way to make it do the same thing in less code but I don't feel like worrying about that now.

Also, now that I'm done moving this (and all the functions that depend on this) to c++, I can finally resume work on adding features.

I don't think I can, but then, I don't know a lot about 3D in general, so I hope I'm wrong.

With XNA, you have to choose a type of vertex data. In my case, VertexPositionNormalTexture was the most appropriate (which uses Vector3, Vector2, Vector3 respectively). The draw code for 3D in XNA looks like pic related, as I understand it.

Each map cell has 6 quads to it, like a cube. However, vertices are not shared, and each cell has it's own geometry and quads and again, are not shared. This is important, because a secret door might look like a regular wall from one side, but be obvious from the other. In terms of size, I would like to support maps up to 256x256 at a technical level, though realistically, my game will probably use up to 32x32 at most.

The other consideration I have is that I'll be doing at least two passes per quad, because I want to have two textures drawn. Basically, I can do a first pass and do a brick wall, or fully transparent, whatever, and then one the second pass I can draw curtains or iron bars, gives me a little more freedom with how I use my textures and I won't need to make a million variants beforehand.

Also I don't use world transform matrixes at all in my quad drawcalls. Should I? It seems to fuck all my geometry up, I don't see how shit talks about using it "per instance" like its no big deal

its easy to understand… this drawing can help

no idea how to do this in your graphics API, but its doable in software rendering and openGL

So in that case, there's only 4 vertices being used instead of 16, and it's just that the far ones have a different UV value?

Either way, what do you do if like the second or third quad had a different texture?

you need to make a new quad for each different texture… this is just an optimization where you group similarly textured quads that are next to each other into one quad.

you can see an example of this kind of thing in a quadtree, which is an alternative to tilemaps since it will heavily compress similar tiles, letting you only use the high resolution on the detailed parts of the data.

Each quad uses the same texture, but uses different texture coordinates, so the data is still different per quad
I dont really get it

the idea is that there are less quads… thats all really

this way redundant quads are not needed anymore

I understand that much, but I don't know the proper balance between buffers, geometry, draw calls, that sort of thing

me either… i just followed tutorials until i understood how to get results out of my API

an API is all about passing vertex and texture coord data into API functions so it gets drawn- all you need to know for now as long as results are happening :>; as you learn and experiment you also learn why you get the results and why you wouldnt be getting the results.

I've been out of the loop as far as /agdg/ and game engines go so I'm asking this as if I'm completely new to this.

I want to put together a beat-em-up style game and so I want to know what is the best engine to learn just for that. I have some programming experience but nothing worth showing off. What engine would suit me the best?

That's something you only learn with experience. The way I approach it is I try to think through how to implement a particular system or feature, then think through how the ballance is between how much stuff the cpu has to do vs. how much the gpu has to do and consider if it seems reasonable. Say, if the cpu has to spend a ton of time maintaining data structures just so the gpu has a few triangles less to draw, that's not reasonable. I also consider the benefit of the optimization vs. the increased code complexity. How difficult is it to implement? Is the time spent optimizing worth the benefit? The answer may be no. The other user mentioned using texture wrap-around to cut down on vertex count. That may seem like an obvious and natural thing to do, but consider then how to implement atlas texturing. You can have both if you add a texture index to your vertex attributes and implement the wrap manually in the vertex shader, but that's a bunch of complexity added to multiple systems just to get rid of a few verts, the number depending on the scene. Also, you don't get fewer fragments, which is where most of the drawing time goes to anyway. Vertex shaders are cheap compared to fragment shaders and even old graphics hardware can process millions of verts @60fps without issue. Optimising for vertex count tends to not be as important as people think. That's why modern games use such high-poly meshes. It's the cheapest way of adding detail.

Any good 3D models here? I need a cartoony chef model with animations but I'm a bit afraid after seeing two-thousand-dollary-doo user

modelers ,I mean

Shouldn't have to, you should just learn to use git or something similar.

a-am I good enough for you, onii-chan?

The same game it's always been, this is just a modeling tool.

Do you also do 2D stuff? Think vectory, mobile cancer.

Things like pic related?

You got a skype or something? All these bumps are making me uncomfortable

just in case you're a newfag, that Palutena ain't mine
Or did you mean plain old vector graphics? I can do that too, but for animation I'd rather map it to polygons like in that pic.

Anyway, drop your Steam if you have one and we'll work something out.

My steamID is CrystalMaidenPK

I really like that robot.

Anyone know of a good tutorial on Godot?

Which one?

GamesFromScratch

I recognize that face.

The cute one, of course.

What's the source on the Doujin, Please?

I want my game to have deep mechanics/systems, but I want to keep it from being a game where a wiki isn't needed.
How fucked am I?

*Is needed

My plan was to basically drop hints everywhere. Loading screens, anything they might read in game, etc.

Make Vidya great again.

do you hate people with ssds?

I didn't mean exclusively in loading screens, it's just an extra spot for information. That's not to say it wont be repeated somewhere else in game. My plan is basically to just drop small bits of information at a time rather than huge walls of texts.

dough, pasta, noodles, juice, sashimi, sushi, riceballs, sandwiches, salads, purees, tartares and sausages (all raw) soon

i think its just a single pic

My cooking system is absurdly deep, but i will make it simple to use by giving the player several default recipes with plenty room for improvement, but that work very well
A deep system should reward players that like complexity but allow those who don't to just have fun without having to mess with it much

i also allow players to use common sense, all recipes are based on real life, i researched a lot to design it, so a new player can throw some ingredients that he would use in real life at a temperature you would use in real life and it will probably work

I really liked Musescore. Very easy to use.

Hey, looks a lot better than ever, man! Nice to see you again.

if you're going to have a decent number of recipes you either have to harvest the power of autists to make them for you ingame or write a bot to scrape real cooking recipies

but of course you hard coded everything in like a retard so that's out of the question

IT'S A MEEEEEEEEE

thanks! now that light maps are in the game, all im doing is fixing up all the levels to have them, and then I can string them together

nigga you don't know shit, just play the game

Cabbage Patch?

Why is the small human wearing a shower cap?

i think its cute!

now I remember why I was procrastinating so heavily
I fucking hate math code

depending on what language you are making there is probably already code for any geometrial shape collision already done

Gotta make sure my project folders reflect how much of a trashy weeb I am.

var playerpos = (self.get_pos() - (get_node("/p_ship/ship").get_pos()))
what, i fucking hate duck typing

what kind of shit language is this? dont use JS for your game…

ebin scriptgd
who would actually use javascript? every integer is treated as a float the whole time

Suggestion: make a standlone feature of the game you want to make, like a minigame or crafting system

it looks like that language tries to hide the types from you.. just leads to problems and bad habits. Its better to use C or something similar to C :>

from the people who brought you Duck's Bizarre Adventure

UNFORGIVABLE

I'll show you who's the boss of this kitchen

why don't you get out of that culinary outfit, and we'll settle it right here, in the oven

Posting results of todays drunken mocap session with bro and pal

perhaps we should do porn after all

can't you stabilize shit a bit? it looks as if every bone is mildly twitching

I'm distressed but curious.

That's the funny thing, m8. You are looking at raw, unfiltered animation data. No jitter filter, no cleanup applied. That's we all celebrate.

This would bring a totally new meaning to the term "go fuck yourself"
my brother and wife are still against it
my friend would only laugh instead of performing self-fellatio

My bro is a natural

Thanks, Adobe.

It's not a game.

At least you can give an outside perspective from the genre and come up with unique things, while everyone else will unintentionally default to what they've seen in past games.

100/10

That's true, at least I'm having fun making the game.

I won't be able to play the game because you're going to discover a glitch across every recipe long after you've given up on taming that abomination and give up

howpajeetsgethired.png

THE ALIMONY

Why

Even C# has allows implicit locally-scoped variables with the "var" type keyword, but it still has a fixed, pre-known type

Just made my first texture with the Doom palette. I don't think it looks *too* awful, what do you guys think?

I don't really have a process that was repeatable for this, I basically used a bunch of filters to add color depth until it "looked nice", such as gradients etc, and then locked the image to a color index map and it cleaned it up for me. It took me like 30 mins and I basically just freehanded it with a mouse … I think it's a little saturated and the thick borders around the curtains makes it look very cartoony.

i think its more charming than ugly, still needs to see if everything else will be consistent, if so it might work

I think I'll try to make it more "realistic" then… However, I do want different monster types to have portraits too, so maybe I can be a bit more cartoony with them.

im not saying that won't do it, im saying we have to see more, might be good if the theme is pretty consistent

all you need is a function that calculates the distance between a line segment and a point
I can give you one if you want

That image confused me for a moment because it's got the same filename I created it with, and I don't know how it ended up on Holla Forums when I usually just shitpost on 4chan with it.

It's supposed to be a curtain right?
They are not attached at the corners.
Just look at reference for everything.

Is this brainwashing?

Unreal Engine Virtual Reality Interactive Advertisements

If it's really your first time messing with shaders/a graphics API and such… then I'd just fudge it, and experiment until you find what works the best for your usage case.
Personally, I use Unity, so most of that work is done, but I suppose I've vaguely read up a bit on your current difficulties.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here (as this is off the top of my head tbh).

Well… if you think about how those concepts relate, it's pretty simple, and depends of course on your target hardware; in addition to how intense each stage of your shaders are (frag/geometry/vert thus rasterization).
Draw calls are basically a run down the pipeline.. like a call to the GPU to execute the various required stages of shaders which ends up in the rasterization stage to be rendered.
So, what matters here, for creating (by extension, minimizing impact of) draw calls, is the "context switching" (or some call it "material switches") for creating new draw calls (in addition to CPU side work, to minimize these GPU calls, f.e. combining vertex buffers for objects using the same material, etc).
f.e. you can combine a few different objects with different buffers, but the same material (same shaders, in essence) into a singular draw call (as it's using the same material, thus you can dynamically combine buffers, even if they're different geometry, to make a singular draw call). Which is trading fewer draw calls for more CPU side work (negligible if you have dedicated threads for this, like Unity does).
Another thing of note is that having more draw calls isn't always bad, as you're constantly balancing CPU/GPU work, and it really matters on the small things for if it's necessary to minimize said draw calls. As, if you're chugging at 60fps there isn't much need yet.
The main thing I generally consider is how hard the "context switch" is, as in, why there is a draw call in the first place in addition to how drastic the GPU changes "material contexts"… f.e. having three draw calls, but for each of these draw calls they use the same material w/slight variation (#if defines) is less overhead (not as "hard" as "context switch) than say a different set of three draw calls having totally different materials (thus "hard" "context switches").

So yeah… I hope my rambling gives you some insight.

now model the spaghetti

Some Podesta Pizza (tm) would be a lot nicer, mang ;^)

noice thanks

not enough lewd though

does this look like the face of mercy

I have no arms and I must cook

(´・ω・`)

MADMAN

I didn't model shit.

halfchan is shit right now
whats the 8ch/agdg culture like?

Lurk more and find out.

Has GG taught you nothing?

So great that you don't even get autobanned for saying the word 4chan unlike saying Holla Forums on 4cuck. Instead you just get called an idiot for not leaving earlier.
Aside from that, a bit slower but less cancerous and without namefags.

A lot of people lurk, only a few post progress. Sometimes people comment on that, most of the time they don't.

Occasionally people discuss code.

If you create something stupid or shitty, suddenly everyone will come out of the woodworks to shit on you.

Armchair critique is easier for most people than to actually fucking make something.

I personally don't post what I have because it's on my linkedin desperate for internship and I don't want to get doxxered.

Slower