Complexity in video games

How convoluted do you like your games? I'm at the point where a game isn't packed with shitton of features and mechanics I have to take into account it bores me to tears.

You may be autistic, OP.

Complex video games most of the times are actually quite easy.

Think first what you are going to do, and then work out your way by using game options as you would work in software application. Basically that how it feels to play grand strategies or space sims for me.

The problem with complex games is micromanaging everything. Does aurora even have templates?

Why would you want a "getting assassinated by a lone desperate gun using black child with mental health issues" simulator?

I think the most complex game I can handle is STALKER or Don't Starve.

I really wanted to get into FTL and Deus Ex 1, but they were too confusing and complicated for me. I even gave up on Vanilla New Vegas for a while cause I didnt know what to keep and what to get rid of and I kept getting over-encumbered. I dont even think I got past 10 or 20 days in Papers Please.

It's not like I'm stupid tho. I'm pretty good at (logical) puzzles in games like Silent Hill and stuff.

But to answer your question OP, I like complexity when its logical. I dont like micromanaging tho.

I'm making a roll-a-ball game in Unity. What can I do to make it mechanically autistic as fuck?

Please git gud or gtfo. New Vegas is probably one of the easiest RPGs next to rimjob and pic related. And if handling locational damage in Deus Ex makes your brain fry, then you're dumber than Fallout 4's audience.

Complexity for complexity's sake is not good game design you San Fran Drop out.

i dont mind infinite complexity off the bat as long as the interface isnt complete anus.
if the game can be detailed enough to tell me the circumference of a moose anus then it could have tooltips and a dynamic interface

it wasnt that it was complex, more of the game doesnt tell you what to do. I didnt understand the mechanics and it wasnt good at explaining anything.

I'm fine with absurdly complex and numerous gameplay systems as long as there's a clear explanation of the mechanics somewhere with the actual values and such I can read up on and said game is turn based or has lots of downtime otherwise

make it a cube

Sometimes its fun to learn everything by yourself.

Simple mechanics, deep strategy is always the best way to go.

Make it a hypersphere in a 4D environment.

True. Dwarf Fortress is not really hard to not-lose if you just look up a few things, but the fun comes from trying shit out and limiting yourself to those new things.

I like mine on the levels of VASL, WiF, Aurora 4X, Command Modern Air Naval Operations, Command Ops 2 and Steel Beasts or a bit more arcadey like Operation Flashpoint/ARMA, Combat Mission, Close Combat, Distand Worlds or even lowly schlock like Dominions and EUIII or Darkest Hour, Dwarf Fortress and Jagged Alliance.

mah nigga

Middle gorund between Paradox grand strategy and aurora

i'm coming to dislike games i need a wiki for, specifically where item qualities aren't shown ingame, or are spreadsheets when it is.

roguelikes strike me as somewhere between unfun simulator and bloated game, and more geared for those anons who make their own fun like terraria/minecraft megaprojects/buildings as opposed to my preferred get-thrown-into-the-ring-and-survive games

fun is in the mechanic, adventure is intuitive, puzzles are logical, gui should be minimal.

was fun. not really complicated
fun for a bit, what with throwing you into the world with no instructions and going off intuition and ui, but the base-building part most fans seem to enjoy isn't my thing.

Eve's complexity made my real life easier.

Ring Runner is the perfect level of complexity for me, you can fight mindlessly with simple ships but it's possible to make some really complicated ships which are absurdly effective.

If you read the fucking manual perhaps you wouldn't need that youtube deus ex strategy guide.

simple for most things, complex for time wasters.
i typically play things with straight forward mechanics such as platformers, fightan and puzzle/vns.
it's nice when rpgs or roguelikes have a lot to autism over whether it be through sidequest requirements, gear building or stat tweaking.
my limit is probably map painting games, i get bored as soon as i understand the basic mechanics and never get into the complex interactions.

I wouldn't call games like infra arcana and brogue bloated.

If a game isn't complex enough, I'll make it that way though silly personal restrictions.

Like Factorio. It's still kinda easy to make lolautism-huge factories, so I use only coal boilers. Solar is for pussies. I also put everything on belts. Everything. No logistics robots. Flying over the belts is for pussies.

I like a game to be extremely complex, but I also like that complexity buried within a highly polished game. Dwarf Fortress is about as unpolished as I'm willing to go to harvest complexity-fun. Aurora somehow manages to be at least twice as complex as DF while also being at least half as polished, which makes it feel like a very unrewarding nut to crack.

They can be as complex as they want really, the only thing I really need is at least some semblance of a difficulty curve to get you going.
Aurora is pretty guilty of being shit at this. I dont mind having to look up some shit about what good ship compositions are or how exactly the menus work but even those are without fail shit and leave some stupid stuff out.