Amiga

Did the Amiga had any actually good games? Most of them looked and sounded fantastic but played terribly like Shadow of the Beast.

Worms.

For example.

Too easy

Oh yes Turrican, played the c64 version of that.

Yes?
It's called Shadow of the Beast.
The PS4 remake is also good.

It looks and sounds good but the gameplay is terribly wonky.

I will cut you.
The jumping is floaty, I agree.

The amiga, like many western centric platforms and pcs to this day never really had any games that had any meaningful impact. Nothing that shook the industry up or is really worth experiencing. As far as games go, its limitations sparked devs to try keeping up to what consoles were doing. I don't think it is worth the time. If you are interested in a pc with numerous great games, check out the x68000.

Lemmings, Worms, Cannon Fodder and Another World were all originally for the Amiga.

It had the definitive version of Lemmings until the PSP one came along.

apart from another world and lemmings, did it really have any meaningful impact? I don't think even lemmings had a meaningful impact, just a lot of versions due to its popularity.

I don't know what you define as meaningful impact and I don't really care either. I don't choose what games to play based on how famous they are. There were many good Amiga games regardless of how well known they are or aren't.

that's nice. I think it's interesting that most major strides in the game industry were made by creators from one country.

Plenty.
All the stuff from this thread +
Lost Vikings
Jim Power
Lotus
Cannon Fodder
and more

Wasn't amiga more powerful than snes?

forgot my embed

I think it was. There may have been areas where the SNES was better, but I don't know.

The one button joystick really sucked though.

the reason why the Amiga never stood out much had more to do with the general mentality of the developers making games for it
the demoscene was largely popular in Europe which raised many incredibly skilled programmers who sought to push the hardware to its very limits with beautiful graphics and sound, but on the flipside very little of them could design games worth a damn. Just look at Turrican, which was widely recognized as a game which proved Western developers could be as good as Japanese devs, all thanks to the genius mind of Manfeld Trenz who had a somewhat solid sense of game design on top of being a technowizard himself (parallax scrolling was an impressive feat on the C64). The moment Trenz stopped getting involved with Turrican after Turrican 2, the more did his Factor 5 buddies focus more on cranking out pretty graphics instead of solid level design. Turrican 3 was already streamlined compared to the semi-metroidvania levels of T1 and T2, down to Super Turrican 2 which was nothing more but a blatant tech demo for the SNES and can't even be called a Turrican game. Again, demosceners in full effect. Turrican 2 never got a proper port to consoles because of publishers telling the guys in charge of porting T2 to the Genesis to turn it into a movie tie-in, which dragged down the game immensely, and so consolefriends could never experience the true joy of Turrican 1 and 2 aside from the more dumbed-down experiences of Mega/Super Turrican.

Many Amiga games are clones of (superior) Japanese arcade or console games. Only Western-created genres like point 'n click games and RPGs were more noteworthy on the damn thing because they were more suited to a home computer. If you think the push for graphics only started in 2007, you're terribly mistaken.

Amiga was never successful as a platform. So beside many arcade/console ripoffs and a few originals from developers who fell for the Amiga meme (like DICE), it had no software to run on it. Everything relevant happened on PC.

ay m8 dont talk shit aboot muh ermiigarh m8

>Beneath a Steel Sky Don't play the Amiga version though, unless you like 2 minute loading times across 15 floppies
>Fury of the Furries Not what it sounds like
>Circuit Wars I think it's called that
I also remember this one sidescrolling platformer about a camel and a goat, but I don't know it's name.
There's also a game where you play as a zookeeper and have to catch animals in cages, but I forgot it's name too. All I remember is that there's a gorilla you have to lure with a blowup gorilla doll.

I still use my 500, although I swapped out the floppy drive for a drive emulator. It lets me downloads a bunch of images, stick them on a USB stick and run them on the Amiga. It's a shame I forgot the names of the games I used to play as a kid.
If you plan on using an actual Amiga instead of emulating it get the 512kb trapdoor RAM expansion. Most games need it. Also you can use a Master System or Atari 2600 controller with it.

The fuck you think Amiga was you fucking retard?

A lifestyle.

I think one of the bigger appeals of the Amiga these days is that there's a lot of weird shit on the Amiga. Things hadn't quite gotten to the monolithic, formulaic business that we have today, and even well-funded folks did weird shit. Lots of garbage, but also very interesting ideas that just don't play right or aren't well-balanced.

Something like Transarctica. UI's pretty abysmal by today's standards, there's some cheapness in there, possibly to extend the game, and it's not very fleshed out. But it's a fuckin' trading-strategy game on train tracks in some kind of ice apocalypse. Action sequences with train on train combat. Fuck.
It has aged like fine milk, but someone actually made this game. These are someone's dreams brought to life, for better or for worse.

Just get some huge collection and start exploring. You will see tremendous amounts of shovelware and garbage, but then you just find something wonderful, in concept or in whole.

Fuck year, that's gold. Also available on DOS.

Fixed.

It was more powerful than the SNES but less powerful than the Genny.

Mega Turrican and Super Turrican 1&2 were better than T1&2, it got rid of it that cheap health system of the originals where one enemy could kill you cause you had no hit recovery, it had tighter level design, it had the beam on it's own button instead of clunky hold fire method.

you had the ability to morph into an invincible ball at any time if you had your feet on the ground and health pick-ups were more than plenty, it works out just fine if you ask me

no

many of the Turrican 3/Mega/Super levels were straight up streamlined in comparison to T1/T2, they no longer had secret 1-ups hidden everywhere and didn't encourage exploration as much, one of the defining features of the Turrican series (semi-open levels with a lot of secrets) would get progressively dumbed down with each entry in the series into standard run 'n gun fare

that's a hardware limitation because of the one-button Amiga joystick, though

They were both based on the 68000, with the Amiga having a much more intricate chipset for video, audio and and inputs, where as the Genesis just had a more general-use coprocessor for all that. And, you know, the Amiga had great extendability.
Even at the base model, I don't think you could really make that call.

And then there was the culture. Which is pretty neat, just the way folks communicated with each other. Before cynicism became the dominant strategy for dealing with the internet.
And then there was a certain subculture. Which is interesting because of how isolated it was from everything else. It was like bushpeople, untouched and pristine in how they developed their own traditions and how they interpreted the outside world. Once the mainstream had enough input, it stopped having any value, just being a reflection of all too common garbage, except with more fetishism and fox ears.
And then there's EWS.
Fuckin' EWS.
What's that fuck doing these days, anyway? Sabrina Online actually ended recently.

The Genesis had extendability too, what is it with the CD+32X and it being able to run Doom and all, it could have probably handed Quake too.

It reminds me a little of the Mac OS 9 and then PPC Mac communities, but with less snooty holier-than-thou.

Well, yes, but the Amiga had a longer life cycle, and it became pretty formidable compared to just the standard configuration. Dedicated video hardware, and I think the CPU options were just breaking into the triple digit megahertz. That was before the 32X was released.
Then again, the longevity and continued improvement on available add-ons and interoperability between different models of the Amiga came from both being a computer with a standard processor socket and Pajeet McLoo thinking it'd be a good idea to kill off R&D and ride mostly the same ol' model, kept alive on expansions, all the way to the grave.

I don't recall there being much for the Genesis beyond the CD and 32X.

Probably not a very valid comparison, considering the subjects. Consoles tend to not have as much of a market for expansions, though it is interesting how both were had their fair share of desperately being milked dry, albeit for different reasons.

I can't believe the crowd fucking cheered when Jobs showed them OSX not crashing when you try to trash the kernel memory.

Wings, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Red Storm Rising, Silent Service, X-Com, and…LucasArts THEIR FINEST HOUR (best Amiga game ever ever) juat to name a very few games.

Anyone that thinks there were no good Amiga games probably never owned an Amiga.

Remember, it was sony that killed Psygnosis.

But they also released some of their best work like Colony Wars and Kingsley on PS.

They killed them and now are raping their franchises like Shadow of the Beast.

This new Shadow of the Beast is enjoyable.

No. And it has shit all to do with the original franchise.

I think the main difference was technical aptitude. The Mac community had some hard dudes at places like Connectix and Radius, but every major Amiga developer seemed to be an aspergian Adonais carved from pure silicon, even compared to other oddball platforms like the ST and MSX. The increasingly deep reserve of obscure expertise only strengthening that effect as the Amiga receded from the marketplace.

Its one plus, aside from being lightning fast, was the interface. Every other platform (except BeOS, rest in pepperoni Haiku) then and now is a steaming hot fountain of manure written by undisciplined amateurs, perverts, and cavemen, in comparison.

Back in the day, there was also the perpetual promise of The Next Big Thing™ (Pink, Taligent, OpenDoc, Copland, etc…) leading everybody on.

when amiga got released people were used to play games that were done on hardware like C64 or Atari 800. so they just went and made the same games but with extremely good graphics and sound

Win98 barely had more features if not less. All the good stuff was reserved for NT based systems until Windows XP, unless you were one of those madmen who ran Linux back then.

The Amiga sound chip was quite good for tekkno

wait… that… that sort of looks like the superfrog intro…

AAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO ME?

This was a multiplat also made for the PC and Atari.

Did someone say Amiga?

Both PC and Atari version are worse than the Amiga one.
SNES had the second best port with the PSP being the best one apart from different visuals.

FTFY

20 years, recently ended. You're kind of late. Still, animal things being drawn by furries is kind of a strange thing to get upset about when it comes to the 90s. Particularly in media from a time where it wasn't slaked in identity politics. Next thing you know, you'll be complaining about the guy who made the cutscenes for Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

But boy howdy, if Boppin' has any childhood significance to you, you might want to look up the developer. It's just sad and thoroughly strange.

Dyin' in the sun, so much fun.

Now this would be labelled as a gross right wing pro-war propaganda and proof of toxic masculinity.

Amiga fags were always thieves.

I played the NES version back in the day and it had pretty much every feature lol, it even kept a stable framerate as well as all the music.

Did you

Yeah…? Your point?

Did you?

Yes, i did. The music sounds kinda iffy for a sunsoft ported title but the graphics and most of the gameplay are there. Jesus.

It has a awesome collection of dungeon crawlers and rpgs.

Also usually if you look for computer games from the late 80s and early 90s, the Amiga version of said game was the better version.

Also Blackthorne, one of Blizzard's last good games.

we just go around in circles that keep shrinking like were being flushed down a toilet

Blackthrone is indeed excellent, basically a bit of old school Prince of Persia plus 90s fantasy-scifi violence.

What an elaborate way of saying we're getting older.