ITT: The moment an IP's brand well was poisoned beyond repair and ruined forever

ITT: The moment an IP's brand well was poisoned beyond repair and ruined forever

Ever wonder why you dont hear about Starcaft 2 anymore?

Its because it went full fan fic and ended with Kerrigan becoming God. Literally God. A 900 foot tall angel made of fire that governed all creation. She destroys all evil forever and shows up as a human in Raynors bar, he says "hell, its about time" followed with a message about all planets around the universe being seeded with life and "James Raynor was never seen again".

They thought that was a good end to Starcrafts story. The audience? not so much.

Now its dead, so dead even koreas dropped it and theres no salvaging this hot trash without a total reboot with new writers.

What over IP's are poisoned forever? Final Fantasy seemed lost after "the decade of Lightning" but Yoshi P's FFXIV team really turned the brand around.

Other urls found in this thread:

teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/515168-sc2-proleague-discontinued-skt-kt-sgk-cj-disband
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Eh Starcraft died way before that as far as I'm concerned.

Basically sums up every Blizzard IP.
not sure about memewatch though

They're doing the same shit to Warcraft too.

This is what you get for hiring lowest common denominator in an attempt to appeal to all ages instead of your targeted audience.

So glad I quit after Wrath and never looked back

You never hear anything about SC2 because Blizzard made sure e-sport scene is shadow of Brood War one.

Waifuwatch is fine but tumblr keeps trying to make characters gay even if pink haired russian is a racist xenophobic nationalist that just loves lifting.

Are you suggesting the the popularity declined because of the story that nobody plays?

This isnt Brood War user, it was never going to be espurts like SC1 was.

Well this is exactly why SC2 failed.
It is just bad at being e-sport and Blizzard killed off Brood War.

Campaign story had nothing to do with it.

The problem is they only considered top level play when designing the multiplayer. Anyone who wasn't gook clicking gave up and went to MOBA's.

But the writer for all this shit was Metzen, who has been writing since WC2 and Diablo. They didn't hire new shitty writers, their main writer just became a miserable old man and lost his ability to write anything interesting.

Shit. No fucking joke?

I just made an assumption based on how astronomically different old lore's effort is to the new. I still hold on to the lowest common denominator claim though. You don't go from "interesting and good" to "bland and shitty" just for laziness and greed alone.

Wait…

I assume in his old age and in becoming a parent Metzen just lost the will or ability to write interesting characters so everything became corruption this or redeemed into the starchild that.

Metzen got
CORRUPTED
O
R
R
U
P
T
E
D

If there was ever definitive proof that there is no god, it's that Gunpei died an a car wreck, and Sakamoto lived to make this failed abortion of a game.

Diablo 1&2 and Starcraft - Brood War had a great minimal story that was helped with its atmosphere by Blizzard North(RIP) because Blizzard earned widespread acclaim and fucking mainstream popularity, they did what all companies that go mainstream do, make their shit as mainstream as ever, look at PG13 Diablo 3 and weep.

This not they only problem.
They not only considered only top level plays, they also failed at doing it properly. It was far too often based on small mistakes or randomly being decided on two army blobs a moving into each other.
It made mistakes and weakened itself with a switch from BW to SC2. It pretty much did exactly what you shouldn't do when MOBAs started competing very strongly against it.

okay but it was a fun game

This probably came close.

They dropped it becasue of e-sports reasons and not because the story equaled some fanfic from tumblr.

Overwatch is fun but I don't know if there's just enough to make you want to keep playing. It feels like one of those games where you play a ton of it when you first get it, and then afterwards you just sort of get bored.

>Enjoy the GB-GBA games and Even the ps2 games

"Car Wreck" is that what the Yakuza told the police to report?

This exact scene could have redeemed the lore into actual starcraft - a war for survival between the stars, not a sci-fi romance drama.
I can't believe some of the sc fags ate the romance plot at all. There is a book that explains it, but it's so badly shoved into the game it doesn't fit at all.

Gameplay was fucked from day 1. No redeeming that.

I expect FFXV to turn it back around to where it was before. If it's actually a good game, then, hey, maybe Final fantasy is saved after all.

Initially story wasn't only in the hands of metzen. It became that way around broodwar. And then all the power to write whatever corrupted him, to the point where he wanted to retell his love life through the game.

Can someone go into detail about this?

Never worry, FFXV will kill right back again, same as FFVIII and FFX did it before. jRPGs simply can't not have a shit story.

Also, Fallout and TES, and really anything Bethesda touches. They're like cancer.

XV is just an attempt to recoup some money form toriyamas catastrophic losses on overproduction of resources and assetts for the 'fabula nova crystalis project'. His north korean 'every must sit within eyeshot of 3 lightnng photos at all times' workforce churned out FFXIII assetts tot he point they are still making new games out of them and a chrono trigger sequel and valkyrie profile sequel were shelved and turned into 13-2 and lightning returns.

XV is the last leftovers of Versus 13 to try and make a little more money off it.

Meanwhile a small team works on bravely default and has like 300% more profit to production costs.

I can't believe this fucker being buddy with the SE leadership allowed him to keep doing this for years on end. Then again, these are the same people that looked at FFVIII and FFX and thought they were a good idea.

How can someone fuck up creating a waifu so hard? Lighting is just awful, from the generic design, to the lack of personality and anything moe about her, to having the body of a Thai ladyboy.

Like I didn't hate SE enough already.

How can anyone jerk off to their 'fursona art' of crayon drawings of hyper obese "giga anus play" bullshit?

Retards dont have the same concepts of beauty as normal people.

Mobas took a lot of the audience and especially price money away form the SC2 scene.
Add to that Blizzards decision to make the game go full esport while shitting on any modability to allienate any potential newcomer, and tournaments dominated completey by Koreans who can't keep their fingers by themselves and throw games left and right and you should see why people stoped watching/caring about it.

Iirc Blizzard also had some problems with the streaming rights in Korea and kicked soime major studio right in the balls.

I couldn`t believe what I was seeing when phoenix Kerrigan showed up on my screen and, at the same time, it all made sense coming from a creatively bankrupt company.

We all just need a bigass moment of silence for EVERY Konami game.

Seriously. Fuck Konami.

S-survive means we could still get revengeance 2

…right?

Team liquid has been writing about issues since 2010 and before. Blizz is still stuck up their own arse.

How the fuck are you supposed to read that title?
or as the file name implies

Having played over 500 hours of it myself… what else do you expect? If I said I'm bored with it now would that even be an issue? I played the game for 500 goddamn hours that should be good enough for any one game.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
Second EO game
Title for the EO remake games
Subtitle

Seriously? That's how it ended? I dropped SC2 after swarm because the story was so unbelievably shit and the game was mediocre at best. I really didn't want to know where they take it from there. But this is something else. I expected legacy to be a shitshow and I'm still disappointed and disgusted.

that id tho

Nice!

It's the onion routing

Its a fucking WoW clone to a tee. Fuck you OP, XIV is following the same shitty WoW formula that has been playing MMOs since 2004. Fuck that. I want EQ and FF XI style mmos back.

Legacy of the Void was pretty retarded throughout, the Kerrigan Starchild shit was just the fecal cherry on top of the stool sundae.
>Then you go and help a Dark Protoss named Alarak who's the only semi-fun character in the whole thing because he's just an un-repentant, uncorrupted dick to take over his planet of Dark Protoss through sanctioned-duel-but-also-with-armies-sorta

Everyone crying about Blizzard are just jealous they won't get a statue erected of themselves.

Why would anyone give a fuck about the story when the gameplay is #1 a hundred times more important in this case and #2 enough of a reason why it was ruined
I will never understand you idiots who care about blizzard stories

I'm gonna get a lot of heat for this, but Age of Wonders 2 SUCKED in terms of writing.

The first game is immersive as fuck, filled to the brim with interesting lore and untold stories, and every single one of the texts seems to have been written by an actual writer with good skills.

Second one has lots of jokes and puns and has removed most of the lore or transformed it into "lol funny xD" stuff. Then the third one became massively casualized. And ALL of them are actually good games, but 1's campaign and music is the what keeps calling me back.
2 gameplay and world editing is GOAT tho.

You can't tell me that this didn't ruin Mega Man for everybody.

seems like nothing is wrong to me

Sounds like Sonic OC tier

I think Warcraft 3 could have a big audience if they redid it in the starcraft 2 engine. It's a fucking good game and it still does hero units the best so there's a possibility for a reverse crossover BACK to war 3.
Wouldnt that be somethin

So basically only books are allowed to be a story telling medium? Are you a traveller from the 19th century user? Pray tell how does theatre or opera fall into this?

My guess is you haven't actually read a book in months and just want to sound sophisticated.

if blizzard ever does war 4 it's gonna be like DoW 2, assfaggots pretending to be an rts, also it will be named Warcraft without a number

StarCraft was made in the nineties. Golden age of PC.

Good times.

i can. it didn't. nice dubs though

It's not like I hate OW, I got it recently and sunk a few hours in it, it's pretty enjoyable so far. But I am noticing a lot of the same maps and game modes which is a bit worrying. Also I'm not the biggest fan of the matchmaking system, though I appreciate the Skirmish mode.

Wasted dubs. If something can be considered shitting up MegaMan's rep it's X7.

Fine by me it was pretty shit. There's a reason why everybody played custom games.

pokemon was never good anyway

not really, probably one of the few examples of a game community that didn't give into cancer over the years, it helps that the game is quite unappealing to casual players.

the whole overmind waz a gud boy! was a big red flag.

Go away, contrarian.

No sponsors. KeSpa Cup has shut down after almost 20 years because no one would sponsor the event anymore. LoL is #1 followed by WaifuWatch in Korea and SC2 is at the bottom, even behind BroodWar. Well at least Neeb (American) won the final KeSpa Cup

Gen 3 started the tradition of Game Freak removing game mechanics, bringing them back one or two generations later, and having them be selling points. Gen 3 removes the day/night cycle and the ability to trade between generations.

Someone's already making a mod for that, last I saw it looked alright mechanically but the models lost a lot of the charm with the change in lighting and shit.

Games becoming multiplayer social trash destroyed the need to write an interesting story.

Nowadays videogames is just a bunch of morons yelling at each other. I doubt a lot of people who play Diablo 3 or Overwatch or whatever cancer is popular today know anything about "lore".

Chekd

You can't redo the crazy modding WC3 had in the sc2 editor.
There are many models from wc3 in sc2. Some maps are made for normal WC3 and people are working on the campaign.
But guess what? The playerbase is incredibly low. People barely care about this.
WC3 was big because of modding. Not standard play.

Is Metzen virtue signaling with his future statue? Why would he pick a fucking monkey, from a new release, when he could pick almost anyone from WarCraft 2 and up?

I HOPE YOU ARE FUCKING LYING
well i m not a SC fan so i dont really care, but still …

D-did he died? And if he did, why the fuck would your prolong his suffering?

died hour after they got him
hell if I know

If I can recall he tried to jump into a lake and face planted into a corner piece of a concrete dock. There's a video of that but I'm not 100% if it's the same guy.

maybe metzen wanted a happy ending, a really shitty happy ending.

there wasnt suppose to be romance in the first place, jimmy wanted to kill kerrigan because she is a bitch.

Maybe. Maybe the company told him to appeal to female gamers, and so he went to tvtropes to find out what stories women liked. Sometimes, people who are good at writing for one audience (15yo boys) never learn to competently write for others.

sure thing OP

you mean how every mission revolved around objectives? wouldnt it be lazy to just have every map a skirmish?

It doesn't have to be skirmish, but it doesn't have to be copied shit from diablo 3 either.

All signs point to him shitting up his writing on his own, there's some story he once told about how his daughter asked him why Alexstraza had her boobs hanging out and that's why Sylvanas covers her stomach now.

Oblivion

thanks Miyamoto

It's sad because the political drama and military simulator that makes up RTS stories is one of the best parts, not these high fantasy bullshit ass 'Hero Saves the Universe' stories.

what a load of crap

No, I just hate storyline and I think it should be relegated to a dead medium.

?

yeah that was a terrible post on my part. i dont know why i didnt assume you were talking about starcraft.
but was starcrafts story not driven by the actions of specific characters to defeat an ultimate evil? terran shenanigans might have played a bigger role in the first game though.

There's a twofold answer.
1. The original starcraft wasn't about defeating an ultimate evil, it was about different clashing groups and their own internal politics. Kerrigan back then was ambitious and pretty much always planned to take over, then when Tassadar killed the Overmind there was a zerg civil war. Mengsk was similarly ambitious and as much a threat as the zerg with his ruthless attitude.
2. You can still have a 'stop the ultimate evil' plot tied in with a political drama, you just have to build up to it appropriately. I use Warcraft 3 as a point of reference for this, where all factions fight across the course of the game and there and different motivations throughout. Arthas works for the Lich King to open a portal so Archimonde can arrive, but neither of them really work for the Burning Legion.

Well that's disappointing. I recently got into Starcraft and the story and world weren't half bad for an RTS. I was thinking of playing Starcraft 2, guess I'll stay away from it now. Another series to the trash.

Well I was going to masturbate but I guess I'll have to wait 10 minutes or so.

Sad thing is, the protoss campaign actually ends up being fun for half of it, specifically the part where you are trying to unite different subfactions of the protoss that have split off over the years. You're intentionally investing efforts into getting allies against a greater foe that you cannot currently oppose alone. But it is definitely not worth going through all of starcraft 2 just for that.

Just play Homeworld or World in Conflct. Only RTS games that don't have a shit story.

Jesus, I never got into starcraft, but even for blizzard, this is pretty retarded. No better time to post this than now.

Trading between generations was a technological impossibility, so you would have to blame Nintendo for not creating capability data and connection wise and not put that shit on Gamefreak, you are right about the day night cycle though.

After SCBW, go play WC3 if you haven't. Especially the RoC Human Campaign.

Undead are the main protagonists of Warcraft 3.
Prove me wrong.
Ner Zhul was the one true King.

I've actually argued with somebody who legitimately likes FF13 and Lightning. He was incredulous when I told him she has no character depth whatsoever.

Except for the Day and Night cycle returned in Gen 4, Gen 5 and Gen 6.

Was that person gay perhaps, or a nu male? That might explain his attraction to the abomination.

The guy I responded to was arguing that Gen 3 was when mechanics got arbitrarily taken in out, and you've proven that point, as it disappeared than came back.

*Started being put in and taken out randomly
Jesus christ too tired

He's bi and liberal. I associate nu male with hipster, and he didn't seem very hipstery to me.

But I'm also kind of a left leaning faggot and I can't stand the bitch.

what will they think of next

Final Fantasy went to shit after going to the shitstation. 3D killed it. The only one that's good since 6 is 14.

It was a technological possibility, they've done it with the red/blue 3ds release

Order of Ecclesia was legit the last Castlevania game.

>"Open your eyes, Raynor"
10/10 GOTY

There is some good user.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with Korea pretty much officially abandoning SC2, teams closing left and right and players retiring.

teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/515168-sc2-proleague-discontinued-skt-kt-sgk-cj-disband
Fucking retard.

You're aware anime cutscenes were in some of the classic Mega Man and X games, as well as anime style character designs, right?

Kill yourselves
You're not welcome here

Vidya isn't a particularly good storytelling medium though, thanks to the fact that the audience is actively involved in it.
It's a great story making/dispersal medium though, just look at df or the current goings-on in wwew.

The retarded writing scared away everyone who gave a damn about the campaign.
Blizzard really screwed over all its audiences with sc2.
What kind of person is even left for Blizzard to alienate from SC2 at this point?

The problem inherent with story-telling in games is simply that people try to tell linear story's in games. Linear story telling is best suited to novels and films, but not a medium where there is a choice inherent in it's structure. Linear storytelling is antithetical to a interactive medium such as games because it it inherently restricts player choice. A nonlinear narrative would be far superior for a game focusing on giving the player the highest amount of choices possible both through gameplay and non-gameplay elements. The story should be conveyed though optional-character-dialogue, tone, music, and inanimate objects such as: items and religious alters. Cut-scenes should also be avoided because they are inherently non-interactive. But those are just some thoughts.

bump

source on image?

This game not only ruined it's series forever, but it's genre as well.

Nigga FF13 is probably the most profitable Final Fantasy in the recent years.
Did you miss how many games they made using the same assets and how every single one of them sold a million copies?

How so?

besides gothic, i can't name a single open-world rpg that's both good, and isn't touched by bethesda's cancer

Starcraft 2 was disappointing to me from the moment I learned vulture harassment was no longer a thing. The shit plot and everything else just added to my hate.

gothic?

>Implying bethesda was cancer before Oblivion.

its an open-world rpg series that is bretty good, i also forgot about that game made with oblivion's engine, nehrim or something like that

Are there any big torrents of Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 maps/mods available?

Morrowind's engine :^).

But Nehrim also had a predecessor built off of Morrowind called Arktwend, and just this year the development team released a sequel built off of Skyrim called Enderal.

Funny how BW's faults were its strengths

Pyromania and Mann vs Machine killed any chances it had, both in terms of gameplay additions and story-wise

Bugs != flaws.
Players learn to utilize bugs to their advantage and create interesting gameplay as a result. It creates depth and reward for knowledge.

That's Shigesato Itoi, this is Sakamoto

I think the worst part is, in the same update that brought some alright balance patches and fixed a few things, they completely shat on the game by not only having hats, not only have stranges and festives, but putting god awful skins that can even be unusual making them glowing neon messes. And this even spawned butthurt from the item whores because now you could pick up weapons, which is disgusting in its own right.

i actually have a feeling that XV will at the very least break even, maybe even reignite interest in the series. i mean, squeenix has made a lot of really fucking boneheaded moves but i can't believe that they're all retarded; they likely know better than anyone that this is their hail mary

He was fired from Nintendo before that, and then he went on to make the Wonder Swan handhelds. He died when he got in to a fender bender and, while out of the car to check on damage, got hit again.

Oh, my bad. Saw the original image in a Metroid thread with people shitting Sakamoto, and made an assumption.

The story has been hot garbage for quite a while.

It probably wasn't "him" per se, because typically when something becomes popular, there tends to be a lot of marketing input. In other words, it's his (((bosses))) fault.

I-I thought summer was over….

Honestly, OM was pretty fucking bad but it didn't poison the well. Nintendo has been trying desperately to push out a metroid game since OM failed so hard critically compared to the rest of the franchise. But with Retro wanting to not be known as "Those Metroid Prime Guys" forever, and Sakamoto being rightfully shafted into making Mobile games along with the rest of his development team there simply isn't anyone to make a new Metroid game. All their attempts have bene cancelled of fucked over one reason or another. I remember one fairly recent attempt getting cancelled because the studio had to choose between making it and a Luigi's mansion game and they went with the Luigi's mansion game. In fact FedForce was only made because nintendo was really desperate and gave a guy who pitched them a DSi eshop game another shot and let him make the coop galactic federation game he always wanted. I think the series is just cursed in general, I mean, on top of everything previously mentioned the guys who worked on Prime Hunters got gutted as well when the nitnendo managers at their dev studio kept fucking around and being racist shits instead of letting the devs make the game they wanted and it wasn't even related to metroid.

What did he say back to that?

REEEEE, REEEEEE!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Zero and ZX deserved better.

Is it that bad?

It was fun while the multiplayer was active, but it's dead now and will never get a PC port so there will be no way to play it decently once the servers are killed.

Order of Ecclesia came out in 2008 while Adventure ReBirth came out 2009

cod was never good

Decide for yourself, really. That's the best you can do.

Bethesda just needs to die

Am I being memed? What is good about Gothic exactly? Certainly not the roleplaying. Nor the character building. Nor the questing actually it was fun up to chapter 2 or so. Nor the "exploration". Nor the combat. Nor the magic. What am I missing here? Does it get better in Gothic 2?

Pure, unfiltered Metzen.

Jesus, stop defending Metzen. This entire shitshow has his handwriting all over it.

The corruption fetishism and mary sue waifus are dead fucking giveaways. Just look at what he did to Diablo 3.

REEEEEEEEEEEE fallout 2 is god tier

they aren't that long, if you binge on it each campaign only lasts a few days. it was fun at least.

And that is why Warcraft and Starcraft is a copycat of the Warhammer series.

I dare anyone to prove me right or wrong

Haven't you noticed the trend? Everything is marvel now

Given the quality of the work that SE shat out, I can't help but be relieved that a CT sequel was shelved.

Etrian Odyssey: Sheckling 2: The DLC Knight

The stories are lack lust, but the missions themselves are actually fun

Starcraft 2, a story where as a mass-murdering, bug-infested, psychic monster woman gets away with everything because she is the Chosen One destined to defeat an Evil Space God, and one of the main heroes has a raging hard-on for her malicious (and quite admittedly nice) ass.

R.I.P Tychus, you will be missed.

Also, I didn't mind Kerrigan being redeemed in WoL, but HotS basically shat all over that by making her do evil shit again, yey pretending that she's somehow good now.

*yet

Square has always had brain dead leaders, the amount of times they've been on the brink of bankruptcy is astounding but they keep recovering.

There's very little they can fuck up with Overwatch, it's just a team based, class based shooter. The story is held at an arms length from the game so unless they go out of their way to fuck it up there shouldn't be a problem.

Starcraft definitely has a lot of very 40k things in it like the ultra bulky space marines and the parallels between Zerg and Nids and Protoss and Eldar, but beyond that surface level stuff there really isn't a whole lot in common. Zerg are way less of a monolithic threat than Nids since they're at first led by a whole bunch of arguing cerebrates and then a bunch of queens and dinosaurs, Protoss aren't a dying race and have no hesitation to throw psychic power at all their problems, and human culture is seemingly entirely atheistic and constantly fighting among itself instead of one giant crusader empire.

Warcraft is even more different from Warhammer Fantasy than Starcraft is from 40k too, short of both orcs having shamans I can't really think of anything else they have in common aside from maybe the burning legion and twisting nether being retconned into some kind of warp-like eternal demon shit instead of just an army of space/dimensional aliens.

Starcraft 2 was never good.

Blizzard hasn't made anything good since Warcraft 3.

Actually, video games are about the second best
thing to use for storytelling, linear or non linear.
For linear story telling novels are still superior but
unlike films, videogames don't have a time limit for the story.

Have you never played any RPGs with ~40 hours of story?
A videogame that focuses on the story can have way
more content than your average book.

Alternatively since that is the example from the OP, there are
interesting ways to tell a linear story in a RTS game. Just take a look
at the campaign from Age of Empires II.

It all depends on the writers. Who should be fired for what they did with StarCraft.

Wasn't StarCraft supposed to be a Warhammer 40K game but they got problems with GW?

It was Warcraft that was intended to be a Warhammer Fantasy game, but because of some combination of being unable to agree with GW on a contract and wanting to be full owners of whatever they made they ended up changing it to make it an original franchise. Starcraft presumably they just did the same but skipped over trying to make it officially a 40k game at all.

For me it died the day they announced they were going release each singleplayer campaign separately for 40-50 bucks. Fuck Blizzard for bringing those shitty practices into this genre as well.

They are literally pulling the same shit on WoW with Illidan.
The thing is that Warcaft lore was fucked up beyond repair since Burning Crusade, and every expansion after made it even worse.

How do you tolerate it ?
The story creates a villain who genocides planet after planet owned by two races. And then suddenly everyone tries to save him and be nice to him.
He goes genocidal again.
And is forgiven again.
We're talking dead worlds here. Deaths in the millions.

Forgiving that simply speaks of a weak plot. No consequences for actions. Always redeemed. Magical realm tier.
Pure bullshit.

Hardly surface level stuff.
Basically everything terran had exists in 40k. From the basic marine, the biker, the heavy guy with the flamers, the field medic, the walker, the sniper.
SC2 made it even worse: jetpack guy, more walkers, thors.
Protoss barracks being gateways that teleport units.
Dragoons harboring the remains of the dead or dying protoss.
The khaala.
Then came the teleporting/blinking units.
The overmind and full control of the zerg.
SC2 start practically screamed power armor to me. I played starcraft 1. Their armors were small. That shit in sc2 was space marine tier complex and big. Far from whatever existed as armor before. Suddenly all marines doubled in size but were still the weak shit they always were.
And they even went ahead and shat on their own designs that had something to them. The hydra got the dinosaur/bug threatment. They put a literal roach in there. The odd looking spore colony and sunken colony became ultra simple needle/spike things.
All protoss hit the gym and geared up from wow raids.

Blizzard just took ideas after ideas and shat on them. They didn't build their own thing. I read some of their books. The starcraft worlds are generic sci-fi
There is nothing special about them. They never bothered to expand the lore in a meaningful way.
That's why the sarah shit was so easy to do. They had little else to go for after killing the overmind.

This. And even then WC3 marks the end of war in warcraft and the complete fuck up of any war that should be happening there.

Poor Tychus, he was too good for that traitorous fuck Raynor.

I also hated how they turned Raynor into a fucking space cowboy in SC2. But that whole game was a travesty, so it doesn't even matter.

You know
you dont have to
press enter
that often.

CORRUPTED

ironically its the only good game in the series

Starcraft was cool when it was space rednecks versus aliums versus xenmorphs.

Then Metzen was given free reign.

Ass Creed was doomed from the very start due to the Animus. The ending of Ass Creed 2 just confirmed that there was no saving the series. When some giant fucking hologram comes out of nowhere and starts talking about precursors in unskippable cutscenes, there is zero chance for the series to go anywhere good afterwards.

I don't get it, how is LoL's playerbase still so large especially in Korea where the esbords focus is much more pronounced when doto has a much greater number of major tournaments and prize pools that dwarf LoL by a huge margin. Or do the slants not care about international events and only focus on what happens inside the korean scene?

Riot lies about their numbers. Some user made an infographic a while ago which mathed out all their claims and none of em line up.

I don't have it unfortunately.

You missed the second part.

WoL sucked to be sure, and Kerrigan being redeemed was quite literally a WTF ending that Metzen pulled out of his ass (the game misleads you into thinking that defeating Mengsk was the main objective, yet suddenly blindsides you with Valerian showing up outta nowhere and telling Jimbo how to save his waifu), but fine, what's done is done. But HotS basically piled even more shit on top of that by having a now "redeemed" Kerrigan continue to do evil stuff, from the very first mission, mind you, where she wrecks Valerian's secret lab and jeopardizes everyone inside because "muh stronk independent womyn", and yet nobody even raises an eyebrow. Raynor is the only one of the "good guys" who has even a moderately normal reaction towards Kerrigan's actions.

But the redemption part itself was such a strike at the lore, that there was no possible recovery.
Kerrigan was already established in BW as a backstabbing cunt that bathed in fenix's blood and here we are saving her ?
How can one expect more of HotS lore, when WoL has already shown that this is no longer wars in space, but a simple romance story ?

It's looking at the foundation of something that people tell you will be a pyramid. Instead you see the foundations of a mansion with a swimming pool.
And then you turn around and say: well maybe the construction workers are joking around and will redo the whole thing to make my piramid.
No they won't. The foundations are already there, it was their plan from the start.

It's not so much recovery, as much as "not piling more shit onto an already festering tumor of a plot". The least HotS could have done is not even further undermine their new canon that "Kerrigan was being mind-controlled by an Evil Space God into doing horrible things" by having her continue to do even more horrible things after she had, presumably, been cured of the Evil Space God's influence. Not even any respect for consistency.

God only knows why. You're effectively "making up" their nature and ability and such. Also they didn't fix any of the gen1 glitches. Even if they filter out missingnos and Mews there's level 100 Gengars.

Proprietary software is the enemy of your freedom.

This guy says it better than I ever could.

Diablo 1&2 and Starcraft - Brood War weren't written by metzen I'm pretty sure.

Professional players: Hey man the game's hard even for us, casuals aren't going to be able to have fun playing this
David Kim: SCII is made to be the most difficult esports, deal w/ it

For me it felt natural that HotS would get even worse. You don't suddenly redeem someone who genocides hundreds or more worlds for a mindless bug race and then make a good plot after that.

I never played a sc2 campaign after WoL.
If they put a central romance plot in DoW3 I wouldn't touch it either, dunno how people still stuck with it after WoL.

More like notice the shit writing turned into shit writing jumping over 6 gorillion sharks while fellating a dragon dildo

There's that and also the fact that at least the games used to be good. I can't believe, however, the number of people who claim Diablo 2 was a great story with compelling characters. Have they actually played the thing?

>Act 1: the hero from the first game have become corrupted
>Act 2: the desert are corrupted the palace are corrupted Tal Rasha are corrupted
>Act 3: the Kurast are corrupted the high council are 'corrupted
>Act 4: Izzy are corrupted no, wait! It was we all along! we is corrupted'!
>Act 5: now WHOLE WORLD CORRUPTED

A great deal of what made D2's story great was the way it was presented — most of it shown.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The direction and storyboarding of the cinematics were pretty high quality, but that doesn't automatically make the dialogue and plot better.

I've never played any blizzard game in my life. How often does someone or something get corrupted when Metzen is the writer?

Pretty much all metzen knows is black and white. So every story is about good vs. evil. Where evil is bent on destruction for destruction's sake and good's sole purpose is to thwart and purge the evil. The closest he comes to grey is when a former good guy becomes "corrupted" by the evil. Basically, every character is either a saint, an asshole, or an asshole against their will.

But that was the whole theme of the game and it was very consistent in it.
Everything is fucked by the prime evils and you have unfuck it without becoming like the character from the first game. It fit the dark theme very well.
Granted you do too much terrain juggling and world corruption was stupid, but it started very good.

Not so. To make such a claim is to say video games have never produced a good liniar story. Which is false. What happens more often than not nowadays is when the story conflicts with the gameplay so severely that only people who say, "it's not real" would excuse poor writing.

Don't forget Lost Vikings and Blackthorne/Blackhawk. Like D1/D2 and Starcraft, the games were all about gameplay first and story second, as games generally should be. And honestly even Overwatch has the right idea.

D3 and SC2 tried to be cinematic experiences instead of video games and failed hard.

You go run the bath water, I'll plug in the toaster, and we'll get you where you need to go.

D2 was made by Condor games which was acquired and renamed Blizzard North and then published. Blizzard had no involvement besides the Jewish arts.

This is the plot of almost every game in a fantasy setting from the late 90's. A soulless force of pure destruction has to be purged by a nameless hero with no personality. The plot doesn't serve any special praise as it is generic minimal story for the sake of pulling you through the different environments.

Well yes, it's nothing to be too impressed about.You have few characters to care about at all.
But it served it's purpose well. Which I cannot say about their more modern titles.

Blizzard and GW were practically neighbours in Nottingham. It's well known they significantly influenced each other during the 90's.

What I'm saying is most of the plot of D2 can be understood without listening to what any of the characters have to say.

it was a simple and nice story. you are the good guy, go and kill evil.

I thought it's just cause this Holla Forums knows better than to talk about it.

Kane is dead, and EA killed him.

Kerrigan fourty-seven

Metzen gotta write his fanfiction about his waifu yo. Can't do that if the bitch is dead.

I can't even list them all because I get disappointed again thinking about it.

Kane is dead? Yeah right..
:^)

What the fuck were they thinking?

glad I was playing somebody else's copy. Blizzard ain't seen a dime of mine since like, 2003?

Kill yourself faggot

Drink bleach.

Less being a retard more killing yourself.

Do it faggot, make your parents happy for once.

Wast the second Lords of Shadow game any good if you liked the first?

My parents are dead!

Gauntlet series.
Were pretty great
Was an amazing multiplayer experience and even fun with single player
Breaks the previous standards and outshines with added content and items that can be seen as mini-mini games (The "It" item). Single player is still fun as well. At this point for any multiplayer game, I judge it by the standards this game has set.
Okay, what the fuck happened? This is terrible. Too much story and it made no sense, felt way too rushed. Combat became overly complicated and overly flashy to the point it's ugly. Camera angle is horrendous and stuff gets blocked out. Where the fuck are the unlockable characters? Where are the fun name cheats? Absolute shit
Jesus Christ no. The worst of everything. Extra character is $5 DLC. Characters are bland and boring. Traps are a mix between stupid and INSTAKILL DARK SOULS LOLOLOLOLOL bull shit. HATS!

Holy fuck. How do you go from masterpiece to shit?

*the games industry as well.

Since Oblivion every single fucking games has DLCs.

This seems to be the most common theme. Like with countries and empires, once things fall apart they find it incredibly difficult to recover. Usually there is period similar to the dark ages. If he country/empire survives it may rise to greatness again or at least to mediocrity.
The norm is to get even worse though.

I really expect they don't dare to question what went wrong in that shit.

I still have no idea what the fuck they were thinking. Kerrigan being redeemed I didn't really have that much of a problem with, it could've been handled better but I didn't hate it per se. Like, yeah, it was really stupid how Raynor went from "I'm gonna fucking kill you" at the end of BW to "yer mah darlin' I'll save you" in like the first five minutes of SC2, but in better hands and with more buildup it could have worked, developing over the course of the campaign, maybe even into the sequel(s), and just a part of a larger story.

But when it turned into her becoming space Jesus, it just ended the whole thing on a sour note. Just fucking what.

To clarify, I'm not saying that SC2 had a great story, or even a good one. It was cliche as fuck and forgot a lot of SC1's plot developments and there were plenty of retcons, but that's about what I'd expect from Blizzard today anyway. But to have the whole story of three games revolve around Kerrigan becoming space Jesus really put a damper on the actually interesting parts of the story, in particular the Protoss stuff. The fact that even the Protoss expansion was mostly Zerg-related sucked so bad.

I don't like to throw it around, but why do you reek of reddit?

thinking about units, strategies, playability between SC1 and SC2 I don't understand very well the difference in quality between them, but in story…

They have built the entire franchise on the sci fi theme, even the Xel Naga on SC1 are mentioned with a mystical approach, but not disregarding the relation between the ancient ones and very sophisticated technology.

In Sc2, blizzard just said fuck this, turned the xel naga into floating snails that created everything because MAGIC, Kerrigan into black Phoenix and the origins of the zerg and protoss were not even explained.

This is disgusting, to see a promising franchise turned into shit because Blizzard does not give a single fuck.

I want this game dead, along Beamdog and their SJW agenda upon Black Isle classics.

for real? as in, build zerg bases and shit? not build protoss bases and shit, but have zerg commando units, please dont fuck it up, scenarios?

They were fun action-RPGs with a fun battle system, they also didn't really displace the traditional Mega Man games, the Zero series, rather commonly considered to be the best one was made along side the BN/EXE series, hell even the "Retro" classic cashgrabs came after the BN series concluded.

A better example would be The Sims 4 "reveal" which was at E3 IIRC, you know, the one with the bored sounding girl and all the MUH FEELS, and VERY UNIQUE AND QUIRKY.

Get the fuck out. Arthas' story is one of the better in vidya in general.

It's a world that doesn't give a fuck about what you have played before, or what difficulty are you on, it just shoves you straight into the shit, with a punch in the face literally. The first beast you encounter can kill you if it gets the first hit, and it doesnt get easier then. Well, you played it, so I don't have to explain. It's basically Dark Soul tier rewarding, the feeling of growing your character, and evantually learning to defeat a first human foe. Besides that, you can do quests in a few different way, the dialogues are great (The main character is stooped in several layers of irony). But it sort of dies down after the 1st chapter. Gothic 2 is better in that way. but still both are great games, especially for the times.

or movies, but yes. People who put stories in video game should be shot. The only reason plot should exist is as a necessary mechanic to a puzzle so RPG have some wiggle room. However exposition for the sake of exposition is grounds for the death penalty.

I keep forgetting to remove that god damn flag today!

I don't play Starcraft, I'm not invested in the story, I don't know anything about the story or lore and I can tell with 100% certainty that that's fucking retarded. My condolences, man.

This, Gen 2 was okay, basically Gen 1 with more Pokes, types, moves, etc., but Gen 3 was when I started noticing shit was going whacko. Stopped playing like a day after I got Pearl. I wanted to like it, I really tried, but I had to quit.

But Gen 4 has 2 of the 3 best pokemon games period

I actually liked Heart of the Swarm, but didn't purchase legacy of the void. Thank fuck.

Seriously though sometimes the slimiest stories are the best. Dragon Warrior 1 is in terms of marring story with a puzzle mechanic work of art and I am not even being ironic. Sometime bad is bad and good is good and their is no appeal to compromise and "nuance" is just a buzzword hack writers used to excuse their deus ex machina and other Jewish bullshit.

Kill yourself, faggot. There's literally little to no reason to play a game with no story. There's so much you can do with gameplay. I think it's true you can have a game based enterily on gameplay, but it could get tired and without the story there's nothing to keep playing it more than a few hours, specially when there could be better games. Also, the same way there can be games with only gameplay and become tired no matter how good they are, the same is true with games with more story than gameplay like TellTale

They might be, but there are 2 things that Movies lack that video games do and 1 thing books lack as well: Interactivity and lore. Video games can have a shit load of content/lore without making the game shit. Reckoning is pretty mediocre, but damn if the lore isn't really fucking good with every book you find here or there. Also, there's the interactivity, you're an active part of the plot even if it's escripted, you feel like you're in there, even if your decisions matter or not, that's not the point, the point is that you're there controlling the character. It would be damn nice to be Captain Ahab while sailoring and hunting the damn Whale, even if at the end you're going to die anyway.

I feel bad to fall for this shit bait, but whatever.

Not that guy, but story is okay if told THROUGH the gameplay. If I wanted to be stopped mid-game to see an hour-and-a-half long movie (and I do like watching movies), I'd save, quit and watch an actual movie.

No, books and movies are NOT better mediums for storytelling than video games. You don't have to say this just to try to look like you're taking the sensible middle ground. Movies lack the scope of books due to not being able to sit an audience in front of a screen for more than two or so hours. Books lack the visual impact, audio clues, and other stylistic elements that make film exciting when done right. A video game combines both of those strengths and even adds the ability to have the player not just as a formless entity watching something happen, but as the MC going on that journey. Just because publishers and lazy devs don't know how to tell a story through gameplay instead of through cutscenes doesn't mean it isn't possible.

unnecessary story in games is by definition faggotry, you dumb degenerate retard. This has to be bait.

Personally, I don't think it makes sense to argue about what medium is best for fiction. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, and what matters most is choosing a format that works for the story you want to tell.

If you've got a story that can fit into a couple hours tops, a movie makes sense. If you've got something sprawling, then it likely would fit a book better. If you want interactivity, vidya is a logical choice. And so on.

I just think it's stupid to claim that vidya is the best storytelling format for all situations, and that the only reason most vidya stories are shit is that devs just don't know how to do it right. It's a gross oversimplification.

not from around here are you?

Yeah, BN is overrated as fuck.

Way to go, you sure showed me. And I've been here since September 2014, but good job trying to ad hominem. That sure does make you look intelligent!

I could have also posted my_opinion_is_objectively_better_then_yours.jpg
neo/v/ every time

Confirmed for false flagging SJW.

Nice try AcidCuck but GaymanGay was fucked along time ago. You liberal niGGers where project Chanology 2.0. Pure cancer.

You are a faggot. Try harder next time.

jej

Definitely a false flagging sjw, thanks for confirming it.

You stay controlling Protoss the whole time, but the plotline of the Protoss is already resolved by the final chapter and you're just there to defend Terran and Zerg forces from their own retardation while Super Kerrigan floats around melting everything.

Thanks for Correcting the Record®

Finding gaymangay funny is no different from the autist on Holla Forums spamming humpfty drumpf. and thinking he is funny.
Even if it died a stupid death, it was definitely a good thing. Let it live as a good memory and eternal butthurt on the other side.

That's just it, he can't do that because he's one of the butthurt faggots.

[[[[TRIGGERED]]]]]

nigger you are literally defending subversion. After Burgers in fries it was all downhill. Most faggots who still support that shit are libshit tools

I can tell you really followed it closely.

Well don't know about IPs, but it seems we sure as hell know how to poison a thread beyond repair.

you are supporting nigger speak on Holla Forums. I bet you also support cuckoldry.

typo

at least by me

Also;
Hence why the thread went to shit the moment you started opened your mouth to whine.

I'm surprised no one mention Fire Emblem yet.

Do you also whine about Japanese games, cute girls, Windows users and voice actors by any chance?

If I remember correctly, didn't Andy Chambers - quite literally the guy who created Tyranids and influenced much of the lore at the time - join the Starcraft team? no wonder it started looking like such a blanket copy.

Don't see anything saying that he worked for blizzard

Dragon Age was a mediocre RPG with some neat mechanics, but Dragon Age 2 was awful.
Thank god I dropped it before DA3. I've heard it's even worse.

The combat is pretty cool. The only thing that ruins BN for me is that Lan and Chaud are colloquial words for dick and penetrate in some languages
Star Force was weird, and the story of part 1 was shit.

Not a thing. People will buy anything.

Did you see the crowd at the blizzcon tournament? I just feel like because Holla Forumsirgins don't talk about it and the press only talks about Blizzard when they find some imaginary offense to bitch about doesn't mean people aren't still raving about this game. Blizzdrones are the most ravenous fanboys out their. SC2 is alive and well but I'm open to proof contrary to this. Only people that already hated SC2 ever talk about the shitty story. I don't think anyone that actually plays it cares. I just feel like no one really buys RTS to play against the AI.

Starcraft was poisoned the moment they announced no LAN and that they were going to be exploiting the fuck out of loyal fans by intentionally splitting the game into three parts.

Gauntlet 2014 was made solely to retain IP rights and cash in on the Gauntlet nostalgia brought back by Hammerwatch.

I sure can because it was actually these two pieces of shit that ruined the franchise.

no I plan to kill them

The general art/design of those games were the best part of those games. Everything else wasn't that good.

I don't think slimiest is the word you are looking for, user.

Perceptive tastes right there friend

that's damn right

Never seen that usage of it. Oh well.

EA started ramming Dragon Age into the ground with the DLC, doubled down with the dumb shit that was Awakening, and went full retard with DA2.

Illidan is going the same path in Legion

I wonder who is behind these 2 storylines huh?

Not happy that it had to be from here, but straight from Andy Chambers' Wikipedia article:

As far as I remember, there were some concept pictures of Zerg going around roughly when Starcraft 2 was announced that were basically carbon copy images of Tyranids, and it caused a small uproar.

Well this IS Holla Forums. One can deduce that posters here score highly on the autism spectrum. Doing repetitive shit for 100 hours isn't really a problem as such.
Secondly reading and concentration skills are underdeveloped in the modern gamer.

I'm old school and I come from an age were manuals were 50-100 pages.

TODAY, I WILL REMIND THEM

Maybe we'll see it at the Olympics one day.

At least he is retiring.

I'm older school and I come from an age where manuals were 200+ pages, and the games STILL didn't have a story. Unless you want to count "Warsaw Pact has crossed into West Germany" as the entirety of the story.
(that main manual's about 120 pages, but there are two other manuals under the disks)

Starcraft is just warhammer 40k fanfiction anyway so who gives a fuck

Knight Odyssey: Fafnir Untold 2 Etrian The

give us more info user.

Kerrigan was betrayed and was turned evil and embraced it

Illidan is warcraft batman sans the no kill rule.

I fucking hated campaign in Heart of the Swarm, not to mention story is absolute SHIT.
Every mission is some type of time limited bullshit, not a single one where you slow down a bit a do a little bit building and army making. Very irritating.