Why aren't we emulating a PS3 by now? PC gaming far surpassed it after only a few years after its launch...

Why aren't we emulating a PS3 by now? PC gaming far surpassed it after only a few years after its launch, and now its been like 9 years and nothing.

because the architecture is a multi-core frankenstein's monster

PC needs to be like 1000x more powerful than the emulated platform, particularly PS3 harware

Emulation is more complicated than just having superior hardware.

It's almost like RPCS3 doesn't exist.

THE POWER OF THE CELL

Post your face when the PS4 gets good emulation before the PS3

You have to buy a ps3, it will never get emulation on the pc

PS3 is more powerful than PC. It's just missing memory and a proper GPU.

did they use some weird quantim fuckery to get more power?

It is coming along pretty well all things considered, JRPGs and 2D games look like they will be the first ones to be done based on the last three games that have become playable.

The PS3 has retarded system architecture compared to every other system ever. So imagine trying to remake that from scratch.
It doesn't matter how good of a system you have if it cant run the horrible mess Sony made. RPCS3 is a testament to how dedicated the emulation community is to even have it in the state it is now.

The same thing that nearly killed PS3 at launch is the same thing keeping anyone from emulating it.
CELL PROCESSING

tell me a bit about this cell processor
obviously there's no released PS3 game source code out there, how is it as terrible as everything says? wouldn't it just be programming in C++ for like any other system, but with PS3 libraries?

What are you even going to emulate

It's essentially a dead end technology, as far as I understand. It had plenty of potential for the era is was used, but it was also so far from the norm of what programmers were used to working with that even Sony themselves struggled to make their games work like normal.

People built clusters of PS3s for Bitcoin mining.

didn't sony sell the hardware at a loss to get console sales? that's kind of a dick move

PS3s are dirt-cheap right now, has no region-locking and all around is just seen as a big hassle to try to emulate.
I'd rather have finally a Xbox-emulator.

Emulation is extremely resource intensive and the PS3 is a fucking nightmare mess of shit. The original Xbox doesn't even get proper emulation because nobody can be arsed to make the effort (a real shame in my opinion).

Why emulate a system with no games?

Yes.

Not really. The Xbox 360 did the same thing. It was standard practice until this generation of consoles. Google "loss leader."

Indeed, why emulate or buy a PS4?

The port is so fucking shit, it's so so fucking SHIT

No, you dumb shit, I'm saying buying a bunch of loss leaders to farm bitcoins is assholeish.

We already have PS3 emulators, they're just in beta stage right now

This hardly matters because most games for the PS3 were multiplats and the few games that weren't hardly took advantage of its overcomplicated processor. The result is most PS3 games are more heavily GPU based, and the GPU was supposedly a standard Nvidia chip.

Finally, the Cell processor closely resembles a modern GPGPU in itself, the many integrated weak cores are equated to modern GPU execution units, this means that, with a bit of time, it should be stupid easy to develop a PS3 emulator with lower-level APIs designed to facilitate in parallelism like Vulkan. Even modern low-tier GPUs are many times more powerful than the Cell was

RPCS3 is starting to work pretty well. There are a few games that are already playable. It's around the same stage in development as Xenia.

Why does it matter what they use it for? They bought it at the price at which it was offered. Nothing wrong with that. Do you often feel bad for colossal multinational corporations?

THE POWER OF x86

It's the same face I have when we're gonna get decent 360 emulation before Original Xbox emulation.

I sorta suspect we're going to get PS3, 360, Wii U, 3DS, & Vita emulation before XBox. XQEMU is seriously lagging behind the pack of next-gen emulator development.

There is a 100% working emulator, it's called Youtube.

xD

How about we try to emulate ps2 properly before we get ahead of ourselves.

That was Sony's own fault. They made Linux run on it to circumvent tariffs for game consoles
and suddenly faced people who bought and used it as a Linux computer exclusively. Who could ever expected that?

No games worth emulating = no interest in developing emulators

this

Do you not remember how long it took get PS2 games playable (and still not 100 percent accurate and compatible) on PC you underage nigger? It wasn't until at least 2011 it became playable and it still needs work. PS3 is a hodgepodge of a system, imagine emulating that piece of shit on your computer, with the PS3 OS running, playing the game, numerous emulated background processes going on, ON TOP OF YOUR system and its processes that are already running.

Having compatible and playable games won't happen for years, and that's with implementing software hacks. Perfectly emulated accurracy for the PS3 won't happen until we're dead.

In addition to what others have posted, another problem facing emulation is that computers aren't getting faster in the same ways that they used to. There is a theoretical upper-limit to how fast transistors can switch, and current technologies are approaching it.

This is why over the course of the past decade, CPU manufacturers have been emphasizing high-bandwidth improvements (multiple cores) over high-throughput improvements (higher clock frequencies). This does not bode well for the future of emulation because emulation often doesn't parallelize well.

A big problem is thermal density. As gates are getting smaller and smaller they approach the density of a rocket nozzle. Also increasing clock speed increases thermal output linearly. A lot of the improvements come from increasing efficiency. Lower power usage isn't just a mobile meme, you can increase clock speed.

that must have sounded great in your head
the thing about trying to score points on an anonymous imageboard is that it doesn't work if there's no kernel of truth to it
now you just sound like an angsty teenager copying what you think is Holla Forums's posting style

Made this off of memory, so there might be some technical inaccuracies in the cache placements and a lot of PCs have LVL 3 cache too. But this explains cell processing.

Just like PS2 emulation, PS3 emulation is completely fine in its current state.

usually for some brief moments in between constant layout changes and constant fucking up

Emulation gets more difficult each generation, the difficulty increases quadratically, not linearly. We still have troubles emulating some PS2 games.

I remember loling back when I would visit various vidya forums and see 12 year olds who pretend to know shit about PC gaming, when GTA V came out I would see mustard race kids claim they will be soon able to play it on an Xbox 360 emulator that is totally real (linking to obviously edited YouTube videos that have crudely pasted gameplay footage over a screenshot of a window), saying "lol the 360 has a like 3.2 GHz processor you are a stupid console kid if you think that's too powerful to emulate".
Honestly though many mustard racers here aren't that much different, not knowing shit about PC gaming and just adopting it thinking it'll instantly make them look smarter.

Why is she so cute?

I should add, what I call a CPU in the upper part of the image is a CPU core, the caches and cores together are the CPU itself.