Xenonauts

I don't want to be "that user" by making a simple thread, but this game seems better than NuXCOM. I'm completely new to this game, so I wanna shoot the shit with Holla Forums and talk about it and what I should expect in terms of quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13466-xenonauts-community-edition-0342/
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13434-xenonauts-2-september-update/
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13392-xce-non-steam-downloads/
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/1-xenonauts-community-edition/
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/2-xce-mod-pack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seems better, until you play it and realize why they streamlined the formula in the first place.

Explain?

It's okay, obviously more like the originals than the remakes are. Some of the changes make sense, some are a bit shit. There are some bugs/poorly implemented features. No random map generation, so you'll start seeing the same maps again and again. Most people prefer Ye Olde UFO:EU.

after playing nuxcom and getting used to how streamlined it is, xenonauts feels like a step backwards

Sure its deeper, in a way… but its a hell of a lot less fun to play.

XCOM EU is a very good game, just a bit hampered by consoles.

Maybe if your a faggot.

that's subjective. xenonauts is great simply because it brings back all the shit that nucom streamlined. i like not just being able to move then shoot, but spend my action points how i want, and set up painstakingly elaborate breaching maneuvers with shield-bearing riot-cop squaddies and shit. xenonauts gives you way more freedom to play the way you want, whereas nucom which is fun in its own way, i'm not saying it's bad is a lot more linear

tl;dr you're wrong

I found Nucom quite boring at more than a few points, this game is holding my attention a lot more than Nucom.
For you.

OpenXcom is the best X-COM by far if you ask me.

I just wanted for new xcom to have projectile paths detection, instead of the 65% hit change

sure is

The problem I had with Xenonauts is it was basically a straight remake of old X-COM with no improvements beyond having settings menus, scroll-over tooltips and not requiring dosbox or whatever to run. It was still a pain going through all the logistics shit in base management, was still a pain dealing with shit on different height levels and trying to figure lines of sight, still too easy and annoying as shit to accidentally turn someone or give the wrong order and screw yourself out of TUs, etc.
It also had just a bland, shitty art style and enemy designs and it seemed like they nerfed or removed all the silly stuff from X-COM without adding anything new. At that point why not just play old X-COM instead?

Just learn how to use the flanking system.

…it costs money.

I actually agree. I mean, if I want flashy and modern I'll run XCOM1/2, and if I'm in the mood for the classic - openxcom fits to a t.

Tried the piratez mod? :^)

I'm fine with XCOM and Open.

I wouldn't want to play Xenonauts unless there was a mod that restored the old-com tech tree and features. You can't get mind control, for example, and that bugs me to no end.

There's also something about the art style of xenonauts. It's functional, but it's like something is missing.

I like Xenonauts; certainly more than nuXcom. It doesn't quite have the atmosphere of original x-com, but I like a lot of the additions (especially detailed autopsy and research descriptions) and consider it a good, if not flawed attempt at remaking the original. I would buy it again.

Not this shit again.

user, we have a comfy thread here so don't make me dump my slaaneshi folder :^)

You started it, don't blame me for the quality. Everyone has a responsibility when it comes to post quality.

So, last time one user said he used over nine thousand mods or something. Anyone got a few, preferably more obscure ones to recommend?

A man's gotta stand up for what's important in this crazy world

CASUAL PUSSY DETECTED!

You are a retard and living proof why humanity must die.
"They changed it, now it sucks!"
"They didn't change it, it sucks!"

Xenonauts already has improvements over X-COM. Better UI, no fucking around with producing ammo, cover indicators, corner shooting, etc, etc..

There was one feature they implemented that should've been left out - auto-selling alien weapons and ammo. Before you get your own plasma weapons, alien weapons are the most powerful things you have access to and you can only get them in the field instead of taking previously captured ones. At least, that was my experience in my first playthrough, after that I always rushed plasma weapons.

Well they managed to turn the Diner Dash 2 engine into something useable in Xenonauts so maybe all hope is not lost?

When will this "unity is the devil" meme die out?

I've never seen people here actually explain what's wrong with Unity. Can you (>>10997732) at least explain what's wrong with it?

It can be summarized with that it's an incredibly unoptimized engine.

Shit devs used Unity to make shit games, so correlation means Unity leads to shit. It's extension of "lol you didn't build your tools in binary before starting, now it's shit" memeing.

It is.

Anything is, actually. Even a openxcom mod.

neo/v/, you have shit taste and your brain has difficulties controlling more than 4 units at the start of a game.

fuck off

Please, just go back to cuckchan. It's where mental invalids like you belong.

OpenXCOM>Xenoshits for the simple fact that you can send in your rookies and nuke the terror mission while you're still there.
I was once doing a play-by-post here on Holla Forums and somehow everyone survived being there at Ground Zero.

It's an engine for prototyping before you actually build your fucking game. Basically what you get is a tech demo version of something that never was.

Your reason is shit and you are a shit.

Might be of interest to anyone here playing/planning on playing Xenonauts. The community edition just got updated:
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13466-xenonauts-community-edition-0342/

It's >>>/xen/

Xenonauts>nuXcom

Pretty much.

openxcom > Xenonauts > nuXCOM

The only thing I really disliked aside from the no-psionics-but-fuck-you-psispam-for-you was the inability to mass produce alloys or any of your equipment for profit. It's strange that even the lasers needed alloys when the Tier 2 armor only needed cash and man-hours

These.

can you marry the snake? or at least make her join your terrorist organization?

Xenonauts is neat, more UFO Defence than NuCom. Haven't played it for long enough to see the finer aspects of what makes it better or worse but at the very least the riot shield and the graphics are a nice change from UFO Defence.

zero surprises there.

I was hoping for action points more than anything else. Scatter on spotting is fucking trash too. Enemies getting a free move to go into cover when you spot them was the worst fucking decision ever made.
Look at this video. This is what it could have been if they didn't want to pander to fucking casuals who can't handle action points.

If you play XCOM, It'll seem 'Better', but if you come from X-Com or OpenXcom you'll hate it. And I hate it.

No psi powers doesn't bother me that much. I think that humanity flat out having zero psionic ability is neat as a plot point. The problem is that there's really nothing to fill the gap, so to speak. I would've loved to have found some sort of tech to fuck with enemy psi, perhaps some sort of feedback device or drones or something cool to make up for it.

Yeah. It's just an empty point. Xenonauts had loads of potential and then shat on it. Perhaps its greatest fuck up was the AI. Seriously, breaching a room is basically a guarantee of death.

Please user, it's the viper or snek if you want to be informal.

Friendly reminder that Afterlight and Extraterrestrials exist

For those of you that haven't been keeping up:
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13434-xenonauts-2-september-update/

Xenonauts 2:

- will come with level and asset editors and a translation tool
- 3D with suppression and accuracy calculated in 3D
- there should be more interaction with local forces
- geoscape will be turn-based and bases will be built per region (however, they coded it so they can revert to Xenonauts 1 system if this doesn't end up working well)
- procedural generation of levels
- solider face editor

The Community Edition fixes a fair few of the game's problems so I suggest you use that.

goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13392-xce-non-steam-downloads/

nice

every fucking time

Have some recommended mods:
- Pretty much everything in the X:CE (Terror, Furies Oh My optional)
- Geoscape Addition
- Hold The Line (rebalances psionics and morale)
- No click sound
- Ultimate Ambient Sounds (don't use ambience forest in X:CE if you use this one)
- Names of the World
- Skitso's Sleek AI turn
- Skitso's Femonauts (oppai)
- Skitso's Sounds of Pain

You can find these on either gayben's workshop (use the steam workshop downloader site if you're not a good goy), nexusmods and the official forum.

Don't download this one. There's a newer version abailable here: goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/1-xenonauts-community-edition/

goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/2-xce-mod-pack/

Good catch.

I'd also recommend most of these. Certainly CE ad the very least.

That's okay, I guess. I still use an older version since some of my mods never updated.

Whats the opinion on OpenXcom? I am looking to play either OpenXcom or Xenonaughts to scratch that itch, but two games within same subgenre and theme is too much.

Somehow xenonauts manages to have the most bland art style I have seen in a game thus far. It's soulless, no scratch that, it's outright soul-suckingly dry.

It's hard to explain but OpenX-Com (i.e. original X-Com) has more 'extremes'. Things like Blaster Launchers and human Psionics being rather excessively powerful. Blaster Launchers are the best example since everything in 10 tiles dies and you can fucking guide them around corners. Also the difficulty was semi-unintentional. You get things like an economy that is more or less reliant on manufacturing things to sell and micromanagement of ammo production. I love the game but it has a bit of an inconsistent personality.

Xenonauts tries (and in my opinion generally succeeds) to remove some of the crazy. It does have its flaws (vehicle balance, repetitive maps, AI was poor in air battles) but most of them are solved by the CE. Of course if you liked the crazy then that will be a negative.

There's also UFO:AI in the same rough style despite being 3D. It's also free.

I've never understood this complaint. If fits the late 70s Cold War setting very well in my experience. Certainly I prefer it to the 'more design is better design' in nuXCOM which is generic future like you'd see in a modern 'science fiction' film. Original X-Com's style I like, obviously.

There's something off putting with UFO: AI that makes it difficult to enjoy playing either because the game's engine isn't able to properly tell me a unit's actual line of sight (there's no fog of war and line of sight doesn't cover their sides so you can somehow lose sight of enemies standing right next to you) and the maps are needless multi-story death traps that even Xenonauts wouldn't do. It's alright free fun if you can get past that but damn these kind of games aren't suited for that door-to-door Fallujah style gameplay

I think everyone is fine with the Cold War art but the style of the art itself portrays that style pretty blandly like it was meant to be a mobile phone game before porting to PC. Here's hoping I won't hold my breath the 3D version looks better.

And ironically I think the art for X-COM and XCOM should swap since X-COM is definitely more militaristic and gives a better feeling of war (Power Suits and tanks can stay as is) and XCOM is more of a Cartoony Power Rangers flair with emphasis on cinematic shots and personalized soldiers

Unity is the only engine I know of that can approach 100% GPU load in a simple 2D menu.

I think Xenonauts is lacking in terms of art direction. I don't know how to explain it but it seems very sterile and soulless while you play it.
Which is a huge shame because the game itself is quite fun. Will X2 be any gud

That's subjective.
It seems soulless since games try to hard to stand out with their art and design.

when devs stop shipping their unity games out with the shaders. unity's lighting looks butt ugly with its default shaders.

quads of failure.

Shitting on an engine because "mueh aesthetics that are developers choice"

there is no developers choice in the first place because they don't care if the game looks good

That's not saying much.

Anyway, Xenonauts is literally just X-COM with features cut out and all the flavour missing. Steam Workshop shit, too.

At least argue with a little dignity in mind.

Didn't the Silent Storm editor require that you set up a virtual workserver on your computer before it would let you run it? Christ. I think was still at least one attempt made at exactly that, however.

Console X-COM could have literally just been a reskinned Silent Storm; no original thought or design talent needed whatsoever for it to have been great, but, no, its director was a true fan dedicated to getting all the shek-''streamlining and updating the X-COM formula for [the current year]

This

I want to like the game

I kinda do like the game

But it's such a sterile experience. I can't play for more than a few hours before the next downed UFO or terror mission makes me quit the game because things are so dry I just can't stomach another mission

I'm hoping 2 will be better in this respect. I heard rumors they're going to redesign the game along with the 3D shift.

Speaking of flavour, since I just absolutely love a this certain envisioning of flavour for X-COM, let me just shill these posts: >>>/tg/265192 >>>/tg/265195 >>>/tg/265342 >>>/tg/265446 . Embeds very related.

fug

M-Mario?

There is a mod that lets you do the latter, and the former is just a matter of putting it in her bio.

1. Apocalypse did it and everyone liked it. X-Com 3 was criticised for a lot of things, but this one definitely wasn't one of them.
2. I've seen at least one of the devs of UFO:AI saying on their forums that you're supposed to lose operatives a lot. But it doesn't even have to come to that if you get familiar with maps and with how enemy "AI" (scripting) works.

Xenanauts is better than X-COM, quit living in nostalgia land you fucker.

How many times do comments like this need to be responded to with "I played [insert old game here] for the first time a couple of years ago"?

I had no idea such a thing exists.

Every time.

Have a qt for your effort

Its pretty nice game

Especially the fact that you can use riot shields and melee weapons

Pretty hyped for Xenonauts 2 to be honest family

Disgusting. >>>/out/

Apoc also ran in RTS mode and it wasn't as bad there and you can run with half a squad split into 3 fireteams of 4-6 at the start

Furthermore I don't mind a tactics game with high mortality rates (I do like X-COM over XCOM for letting me send rookies by the hundred and wipe them off like sweat) but I don't care for going up and down and door to door in barely sensible locations (I shoot down a UFO and the aliens immediately know a mine or hydroelectric dam to hide in?) especially if there's no working fog of war and soldiers have really bad tunnel vision

And keep in mind, some copies of X-COM shipped out as XCOM back in the day. We just use X-COM to distinct it from the reboot XCOM because of nostalgia and autism

Even if your Avenger shot down an UFO and immediately landed near it, those fucks won't be all neatly packed inside the burning saucer. They'd be all over the place. I don't like it either, but at least they're consistent.

Down to the manual?

I really don't remember people calling it "XCOM" on the forums or IRL. I realize some must have, but I guess they were a small minority. Also TftD and Apoc were never called "XCOM", as far as I know.

Fuck it, I'm too lazy to get a cap. Just take my word that some copies of UFO Defense shipped labeled "XCOM" and not "X-COM." I'm going to assume that was just a mistake with some copies of the game because I never saw that happen again with Terror From the Deep or anything else afterwards until Firaxis rebooted it and called it XCOM (they did call it X-COM back in early development)

I'm not contesting it. Just asking for more details. I vaguely remember something about the game's name being different in some parts of the world, but I thought that's just the X-COM: UFO Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown thing.

Ok, som im playing openXcom with the final mod pack, but the game keeps crashing on the first month whenever i shoot down an UFO over sctoland or scandinavia, any idea why this happens?

Someone posted it 7 or 8 threads ago and I didn't bother to save it when they were going over the same distinction between X-COM and XCOM

But here's the art guy from Firaxis talking about XCOM and the reboot would have been called X-COM as well when it looked like they were going to make a gritty 1:1 remake of UFO Defense with some more story elements

Well, they should've just called it something else and especially not reuse "Enemy Unknown" if they wanted to avoid confusion. But what they really wanted was brand recognition.
Anyway, what I was getting at from the beginning is "X-COM" was a long established name for older games and, with the reboots getting a slightly altered "series name", it's obvious Firaxis made this change deliberately to differentiate the new games at least a little. But instead 99% of the people seem to be incapable of noticing (and even remembering, if pointed out) a difference between a four-symbol abbreviation and a five-symbol one.
But it's getting too offtopic now.

You do understand that he's talking out of his ass and offering the vaguest of shit as muh proof?

Only homosexuals play turn based shit

I'm naive and try to see at least something good in humanity whenever there's a chance it might be warranted. Otherwise existence is just too grimdark.

Might be time to expand your horizons :^)

I'd hit it with the Power Fist

You know, most people would start with hugs and headpats.

most people are stupid.
Your ass will be in ruins.

Actually there wont' be anything left of it. Or the rest of you.

You are just jealous of our spiritual liege, aren't you?

put your pamphlet where it belongs faggot, next to the Ultratoilet

Speaking of which, it would be cool to have a game similar to X-COM where those are a special breed of ayyliums meant to seduce men and them turn them into zombies and pump them full of eggs. It's like a chryssalid only its victims get themselves killed willingly if they fail a check or something.

I didn't want this. I wanna fug them not the other way around

Exceedingly so.

Interesting, but how about a game where you seduce them and then pump them until they're full of eggs?

It's called Corruption of Champions.

Any news whit X-com: apocalypse fix?

Supposedly a new update is coming any day now