What are some games that really push hardware either old or new to its limits? Vid related

What are some games that really push hardware either old or new to its limits? Vid related

Other urls found in this thread:

racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/best-sega-genesis-graphics-sound
youtube.com/watch?v=1HmB4ZOEMd0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Amiga shows the way! The way to desperately push a 80s machine to the limit.

Wii:
Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyward Sword, Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Wii U:
Xenoblade X, Super Smash Bros. Bayonetta 2

Super Nintendo:
Starfox, Yoshi's Island, Super Castlevania IV.

Nintendo 64:
Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, Perfect Dark

Xbox:
Halo 2

Speccy Doom

Fuck, I forgot a great one.

Xbox 360 AND PS3
Fuel

Beautiful video, felt like watching a documentary.

Perhaps because it is one, right?

The guy has more in this style about all kind of gaming topics. Yes, they are documentaries. The fact that it is on Youtube has put some wool on your eyes. Have another game that pushed the limits of its machine's hardware. One of the last attempts by SNK to keep the Neogeo relevant.

I'd add mario kart 8 to the wii U list. Its a good looking game minus the jaggies

Pretty much any late PS2 titles pushed it to the absolute limit. In some cases I'd say graphically they had better things going than early PS3 games.

Not really, it uses a downclocked SuperFX for no good reason and doesn't use much of the system outside of that, the beta for 2 is way more impressive comparatively.

It's also kind of hard to gauge how much a specific SNES game pushed the system because of the whole special chip on cart thing.

Honestly, the only new thing Samurai Shodown 5 did was an improved memory bank manager.

Gradius II for the Famicom.

The first game's port suffered some heavy cuts to make it work on the weaker hardware. Levels did not scroll vertically, some enemies were missing, and the number of Options you could activate was just two instead of four. It also had difficulty balance issues so bad that the programmer had to invent the Konami Code just to be able to test it.

The port of Lifeforce was a bit better. The stages were pretty close to their arcade counterparts, and the co-op mode was present as well.

Then, the Famicom port of Gradius II followed. It wasn't released outside of Japan, probably due to the game's dependency on the Famicom-only VRC4 memory mapper. ( they somehow couldn't justify a port for a different chip like Castlevania III )
Gradius II makes no excuses, and takes a big shit on the limits that the previous ports had. All powerups except the dual shield are in, and some features were added on top. Some stages were changed and rearranged, but they all make an appearance in one way or another. Animated stages that scroll vertically, bosses that take up the whole screen, the stage with ice chunks that bounce around, the high speed stage, the crab boss, the wall; it's all there.
It's not as pretty as the original, but it's still a pretty good job for a game written for an arcade board with dual 10 MHz M68000s, crammed into single 1.8 MHz 6502.

If you're too much of a pussy to play it yourself, I've recorded a 1CC right now just for you. Badly compressed webm related.
part 1 of 6

The score / 1up jump just now wasn't a cheat. I'm not exactly sure why it happens, I remember getting here with less lives in some runs.

Check this out if you like the Genesis:

racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/best-sega-genesis-graphics-sound

I guess that's technically true, but I'm sure there's some tech demo at MIT procedural generating the entire universe with more depth than that game.

Doom 3, Halo 2, and Morrowind on Xbox

Mafia, Max Payne 2, King Kong, Black, and whatever PC and Xbox port the PS2 got.

NMS' terrains are a lot more advanced than Daggerfall and other 90's procedural generated games though. Shame it's wasted on such a shit game instead of CRPG.

Great, thanks!.

You have some mad skills faggot, have you 1cced any danmakus?

That sounds unlikely. Can you give any examples?

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, FFXII

back when graphing calculators had just hit the civilian market, my high school got a bunch of them. they were as thick as original gameboys and had monochrome green-screens. we were issued one for the semester in our chemistry classes and almost immediately a couple of us found a totally awesome shmup i can't remember the name of and got it on our calculators. i remember literally nothing of chemistry aside from being so very, very close to beating the high score Logan the king nerd had posted

That's not Garou.
Even as far as Samsho goes, SS3 had more frmes in character animations, that were cut in SS4 and onwards to fit more shit into the game.

Toy Story
youtube.com/watch?v=1HmB4ZOEMd0

Silent Hill Shattered Memories looked amazing on the PS2. Too bad the resolution was so low

That's because it was a PSP port and the Wii version looked way better regardless.

Conker on N64. Half Life 2 and Just Cause on OG Xbox. Asterix for GBA.

He's pretty comfy to have on in the background. It made me want to get an Amiga to see Alien Breed.

Warlocked for the GBC

3d graphics on a gameboy.. What heresy is this!

I hadn't seen this before, that's some seriously awesome shit. Reminds me of a few of the old commodore games that had that old fake 3d.

DOOM for the Pocketstation
>>>/psx/96

Seriously though, that's the ugliest shit I've ever seen

Lol

For the BBC Micro, I'd say system-pushing games for that platform would be Elite and Exile. Certainly both of them used every single scrap of memory available to that system.

That's not Shantae. No seriously, that's neat, is it a strategy game like Famicom Wars?

Those are fucking neat games. Trying to get into Oolite, I just wish I could rebind the keyboard controls to something less retarded. Might have to compile from source. Is there an open source version of Exile?

I think it's an RTS. It's the closest thing to an RTS you'd get on a gbc, anyway.

Not that I can determine. I think there was a phone port a few years back but otherwise you are stuck to running natively or through emulation.

Test Drive 3

literally any game