BATTLE NETWORK THREAD

What do you think of this underrated series?

What's your
Kinda weird how there was never a 4 though

Mine are

Battle Network general

Lots of people give shit to 5 for its liberation missions but I think they're pretty fun and is a nice diversion from the usual run and kill and the modifications to battles based on factors in the missions were cool as shit

6 would honestly be my favorite if not for it being piss easy and absolutely no post game content.

Other urls found in this thread:

hero.handmade.network/episodes
davidgow.net/handmadepenguin/
youtube.com/watch?v=kp7JDDvB6vw&list=PL56C7AF8CF927F4CE&index=24
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Which one was considered shit and should be skipped?

3 is usually considered the high point of the series, with 6 and 2 being very good.

4 is abysmal, 5 is okay, 1 is fairly crude

4 is the only one considered actual shit

megaman network transmission is a great game

I agree

The worst part is I know this is a pleb thing and that BN is the OG. I just can't get into them for whatever reason.

Don't worry user I love Starforce. 3 is a legitimately great game even pitted with BN

2 is fucking shit though.

Battle Network is the shit and the battle system of the game I'm making is loosely inspired by it

yeah, 2 was awful. 1 was kind of rough around the edges, like BN1 in that regard. The main complaint I had playing them from start to finish was the long-ass scene transitions where it S L O W L Y fades to black and S L O W L Y fades back in. BN does this too if I remember it right.

The whole series had some great and underrated music.

Are you the guy who has that kickstarter up for that game?

I don't think that's possible with ZX out there, ruining Zero with a useless overworld more counterintuitive than the one in MMZ1. Star Force is fine, just dumbed down.

Yes it is

no_

Can I see your game?
Pretty please?

But there's not much of anything to show just yet
Just a placeholder sprite running around a placeholder overworld, or a placeholder battle grid
I'm going to start iterating quick on battles so give me a few weeks and I might have something

Make a thread here when you do I'm genuinely curious

I've been taking college courses on various programming languages. Applying it to games how do you recommend I start?

Try going to the /agdg/ threads we have up

Currently I am in the Elec Man section of the first MMBN. Is blind navigation and limited steps a regular occurrence within this series? Because if it is, I'll drop the series right here and right now.

Alright thanks homie.

No. That dungeon is the black sheep of the series. It's fucking horse shit even by super fan standards. I'd honestly just cheating through that because it just blows that much dickcheese.

What's the best visual guide for beating this dungeon?

Will do.

The Handmade Hero videos on youtube got me started. Watching some varied amount of those should be a big help
hero.handmade.network/episodes
Don't suffer through all the Windows platform layer stuff unless you really want to. Skim it, but use the SDL2 version some guy wrote up.
davidgow.net/handmadepenguin/
The way I see it if you absolutely have to use an API for something anyway, why not use the far simpler one with cross compatibility

Focus on what applies to you and don't be afraid to go "I don't feel like learning how to make a software renderer just yet, I'll use SDL2's functions for now" or something like that. You'll learn a lot but you don't need to spend time recreating everything he does.

youtube.com/watch?v=kp7JDDvB6vw&list=PL56C7AF8CF927F4CE&index=24

Starts about 5 minutes in. I like him because this guy's pretty bullshit free and tends to do perfect boss battles. Good luck, homie.

You're a godsend, thanks homie

BN4 has its issue but the music was still top notch. For me, Duo was the toughest and most intimidating final boss in the series and fighting him felt really intense.

Thanks a bunch.

It did have its good points like having the most balanced competitive aspect and free fighting bosses through the BBS in Higsby's shop but the whole package is just a 4/10 experience.

No problem. Feel free to come back if you need more help.

All of the game maps (including 1-6) are on gamefaqs. I didn't remember having trouble with this map; then I realized why I had them on my computer.

I played BN1 last of the games and didn't think it was bad at all. Enjoyed it more than 5 which I played immediately before. 5 has by far the most blandest internet in the entire series. At least 4 had actual inhabitants on the internet; 5's a ghost town the whole way through.

megaman battle network all the way through starforce has some fantastic girls

i'd never played other megaman games when i got battle network, i thought it was great.

When i finally got around to playing the mainline games i was wondering why it was such garbage and made no sense.

4 was okay, it felt like light anime filler compared to hype-ass shit where the whole world is threatened, and sometimes that's okay. I like the idea of replays offering entirely new areas/plot/crosses to see, the gameplay's still there, and it's still more fun than BN1. You just have to put up with the most shithouse translation ever.

Starforce needs to give its bosses more HP.

It is not underrated. Everyone agrees it is great and Capcom a shit.

psssst…

hey kid…

Battle Chip Challenge

Was that game any good?

I always heard it was kind of shit

5: Team Colonel
Zero.EXE from Network Transmission
Baryl
Probably Flashman's chip. I used the shit out of it in 3.
Life Sword.

Battle Network Collection when?

Complete and utter garbage.

EXE3
Forte obviously
Baryl
FoldrBak
Darkness

TheUndersquare

Waifu Age my ass.

1 was okay, but bare as fuck.
2 was bad and it you think it is good YOU are bad too, not BN4 levels, but close.
3 was the best of the 3 and what 1 should have been from the start.

Star force is better

I've only played SF 1 and 2 and I thought 2 was better then one. I don't get what people dislike it for

Or why people dislike SF in general, it's pretty much just a BN reboot. The art style, writing, overworlds, game systems, and character archtypes are litterally just BN's.

BN

SF
>no more chips to annex the field, but a lock on for sword chips okay, I'll give this one to SF, sine you still warp when using non-sword chips, which results in high-skill play opportunities

The battle field was my biggest gripe when I went from BN6 to SF1. The combat system was the best I have ever played in any game before or since. I liked the little sub plots with sonia, prez, and pat, but those alone didn't make up for what felt like a ruined combat system.

5: Team Colonel
Starman.EXE
Dex
Guts Shoot
YoYo

The manga adaption was a good read

Bullshit.
ZX was a great game, I found nothing wrong with the map system. Only maverick I think I had a slight bit of trouble finding was leganchor. I haven't heard anything but good stuff about Advent too

You're gay

no, you're gay

O-okay

You realize you can beat Leganchor but just spamming one attack right? At a good level to boot, said attack being the LX's underwater spin, and you MUST have LX to get to him.

But yeah, ZX was pretty good.

go be gay wtih beastman dork

No no, the problem was finding him.

Or maybe it was lurrere, one of the water ones for sure.

The fight itself was admittedly piss easy though.

Did the manga include any of the side games?
or was it just 1 to 6

My local library stopped right when Bass gave falzar the succ

Definitely give Advent a play, tosses out the Metroidvania aspect for a small overworld with doors or teleports leading to each level though. Biometal gets different charge attacks depending on which character you pick at the start as well as your default buster and Model A being changed around (though either way Model A is basically a nerfed Model X). Boss transformations aren't used much but it's a neat novelty and you can tell they tried at the very least. Shame it left on a cliffhanger.

The only game I ever played from this series was 4
Blue Version
My cousin had every game from 1 to 6 but he sold them all before I got a chance to borrow them.

Emulation is free

It's me, the MMBNSim guy again. Got some work done on the card select menu, but I'm going to add HP before continuing.

Luna is love.
Luna is life.

I think I remember seeing a clip of this at least a year ago, how long have you been working on it?

jesus christ, my heart

How many chips do you intend to add? Will you be doing any balancing work?

I only posted a video of this two months ago!

But I have been working on this for about a year. Mostly self taught C# and looking through the source code of other games for programming tips + redoing the entire thing because it was spaghetti code

I don't know. I want to add all the chips from Megaman Battle Network 6: B.A. Crossover Patch, but for now, that's a far off fantasy…

I also want to add a script based chip system so people with no knowledge of programming can add a chip if they want.

(This idea would fall flat if people want to play online and they don't have the same chips, but I'll figure it out when that time comes. Also the many, many steps involved in making a scripting system.)

O-oh.

Okay so speaking of shitty fangames that'll never get made, I tried to make a MMBN for a lowrez gamejam (where the screen was limited to 128x128 pixels)

I didn't get very far, but it was inspired by BCC, with it's random program flow; the idea is that you'd have a 16x16 field of programmable tiles with different logic checks like "if enemy projectile is 1 tile ahead" and actions like "move down" or "shoot"

Bump

Seems nobody has anything to say..

Good luck finding a career in robotics, AI development, or even general programming. If you do find a job, retards will fuck the company up until you have to find another one, and then you eventually get a poison resume because of the destruction itemized on it.

drillionaire

Bamping for more Luna, Sonia, and Mayl.

Drills are love.
Drills are life.

God tier fucking series, m8. The DS 1 was cool because you could have partners. I think I need to get that game again.