how do we stop this???

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/JulesRenee7559
youtube.com/user/JulesRenee7559/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stop buying games.

Stop buying AAA games.

Why is it a problem?

It requires a lot more bandwidth, you double nigger. And you know how shit the connections provided still are, while also having ridiculously low datacaps at that.

But I have a terabyte cap. That's so large a number it might as well be made up.

Protip; not everywhere has access to good ISPs.

>[You have been banned from Game Discussions] Reason: DRM that takes 8GB RAM to run isnt a reason to pirate :)

Protip: move out of niggerville

Also
I'm literally obliged to post this.

Nigger what? I easily use at least 3/4 a month.

Remove voice actors

I work in networking and I showed this to a couple people at work. They thought I must be fucking with them.

Holy shit, I didn't know Adam Orth browsed here.

Murder the gaming industry

When devs notice ISP caps or they stop using uncompressed audio in 10 languages, hopefully the latter.

Don't buy, don't discuss, don't even acknowledge the game exists and if questioned just simply say
The answers to this statement will denote the person you're dealing with as it'll ever be a paid shill, a remorse shill or just a foolish millenial who doesn't know any better about AAA shit and is possibly friends with the former two cases.

Datacaps isn't even the problem, it's that devs expect people to be encouraged to buy Google/NSA fiber just to get their games, since it's the only service that doesn't take several days to download more than 60gb of shit.

So he read some doomspeech and parroted it is hard as he could.
And that for mobile games? Even if he was right: fucking mobile games.

Why would we? With hard drives getting larger for cheaper, soon you'll be able to buy a 4TB hard drive for under $60. You can already buy a 256gb SSD for under $120.

Time to stop being a poorfag NEET and get a fucking job.

Please fuck off and learn how to compress data, developer faggot

poorfags, the lot of you

No.

He's shilling for ISPs as hard and as bad as his chipmunk brain allows him to.

We have infinite spectrum as we can always build more towers so there are fewer devices overlapping per square foot.

You're downloading TERABYTES of data, if it WASN'T compressed you wouldn't be able to install the fucking game. When developers develop games nowadays they make TERABYTES of data on their server clusters working at 1000MBPS and then they compress it down to a ridiculous 10% of original size. This is part of what causes such heavy loads on your computer is your CPU constantly decompressing specific data from archives to load them into memory to use them in the texture buffer, use as character models, etc.

We're not in the age of 1280x1024 anymore, we're in the age of 1080p standard and 4K gaming. Textures and assets have gotten huge because there's more shit that's high res and high detail. If you don't like it, send an angry letter off to John Carmack, he began the trend of exponential proliferation of technology where everything has to go up to 11.

You're both faggots. I could have 600 million copies of Doom 2 in my hard drive if i wanted to, that doesn't mean i should waste that space on what equals to multimillon dollar shovelware.

Then why do games look the same while weighing a fuckton more?

You disgust me

Are there more videos of this retard?

Nigger do you not know what uncompressed audio is? Do you not realize how suddenly we've jumped from 4gb games to fucking 50 gb games?

Oh right, you're too busy letting devs fuck you in the ass since you don't have an ISP cap.

Eh .. I used to be subbed to her Youtube channel, but I unsubbed because either she went full shit or she didn't make enough channels… But that video is a one off, she's not usually like that.

Maybe General Autism is more your speed, she's the girl who covered herself in peanut butter.

Meant to say videos

only shitty movies game have that size and repackers can easily make them go to half of that

the funny thing is that without the movies and sound all games are like 5GBs at max, Mafia 3 is fucking 3gbs.

The mayority of space in current games is not even audio tracks or music, which is all a bunch of uncompressed pieces of shit in either.MP3 or .FLAC.

It's the FMVs, shit videos costing for more than half the damn game's size with no fucking content other than muh story and muh lore with absolutely no gameplay. In-game cutscenes at least use the preset assets, which are still not compressed, for their videos; but fuck if you haven't played a modern game that doesn't shove 50GB worth of fanfiction with the quality of a youtube letsplay video down your fucking throat.

Yeah, okay, do you even know what that word means?

you can't

I don't give a shit, it's all garbage nowadays mate. I know what fanfiction means, i'm using it in the sense that modern writers are fucking highschool dropouts who can only either write smut or agenda-driven shit which is so low in quality it may as well be printed on toilet fucking paper for all i care. Not in the sense that "it wasn't made by the original author".

For me the problem is that HDDs haven't been growing as before so pretty soon we'll either run out of space or get an external RAID

After getting burned with XCOM 2 (last PC game I bought) and Denuvo showed up I stopped buying PC games and instead of a new GTX 10x0 I got a PS4 Slim.
Having 100+ GB games delivered on Bluray is just fine.
Having to install 100+ GB through an online App Store and locked to an account is not.
In 2016 PCs are nothing more than expensive console/phone emulators with worse DRM.
True PC games are dead.

SSDs have been growing massively (60TB single drives) but once again business is ravenously hungry for them so the price stays high. As we start hitting a storage crunch it'll be easy for them to make consumer-grade large SSDs, though.

General autism borked her videos, give me potato bitch

their just doing this to fill up the disk

also THEY DON'T NEED EVERY FUCKING LANGUAGE IN AUDIO in the installer .

95% of people that buy the game in the US will have the language set to fucking English. offer the other languages as downloads (like pc version of mgs ground zeros did)

why is COD AV 120 GB maybe uncompressed audio for 8 fucking languages

Nice misdirection.

ITT: poverty.

As a consolefag slav i pirate everything, my hardmodded 360 has 2 TB external HDD filled to the brim with games.

Yes, and I make bank unfucking consoles. I will never pay for one again.

youtube.com/user/JulesRenee7559
Literally just searched for "You're my new best friend" on Youtube.

Nobody cares, third worlder.

Good.

Ah, that's what it was, she's a fucking ponyfag. That's why I unsubbed from her channel.

You know you can uninstall gaymes?

Comcast is capping downloads at 1 TB month as games get bigger this will start be become an issue of anyone that downloads a game.

you will be required to by business class internet. which will cost $200- 300 + a month

Slavland is second world, third world is shit like africa or south america, get your shit right.

I can't even download my entire Steam library without having to wait half a year.

Why are you talking to me about it? I'm not the OCD cunts that don't know how to manage their shit garbage.

Thank you for correcting the record. +2 good goy points.

Second world has working law enforcement and maybe a functioning game industry like Poland.
Only third worlders from shitholes brag about their pirated collection.

not much, thanks anywyas

States have already begun to fight back against Comcast's bullshit, releasing 1GBPS internet connections with no data cap. It's not just Google Fiber either. 1GBPS connections are going to become the standard, not the outcrier, and whether they want to play ball or not, Comcast can't do fuck all about it, every attempt at a lawsuit they've tried has fallen flat on its face to prevent this. The carriers are either going to have to bite the bullet and stop trying to nickel and dime over 1s and 0s, or they will end up going broke.

And the lines that connect high speed connections were ruled by the supreme court to be PUBLIC PROPERTY so the big name providers who used to think they had total monopoly are now no longer able to try and keep competition out. Then there's Google Fiber. They recently acquired a company who was providing 1GBPS connections via a beaming technology instead of actual lines, so deploying high speed connections is now able to be done faster. So Google fiber growth could pick up by quite a bit.

Comcast is desperately trying to do what they can to make as much money as they can before that happens, which is why they're now capping data at 1TB like that. Canadian internet all has data caps on it at this time, but soon I'm sure that there will be pressure caused by the widespread availability of cheaper internet with greater speed and unlimited bandwidth from their neighbors to the south, and they'll pretty much be adopting the same policies to make everything better.

Why should i waste 60bux for a piece of shovelware that's gonna eat 5% of my SSD and only entretain me for something less than an hour again?

Again, your logic follows that people can't use VPNs and can't just simply avoid honeypots like the piratebay, which is hilarious in hindsight considering the place you're posting in currently.

Maybe 100 years from now, if we manage to not be holocausted by our greatest allies.

First worlders pirate, too.
But only nignogs from shitholes brag about it, as if pirating something is a achievement.

In which fantasy world, please?
In Central Europe we have 3-5 GB data caps on mobile and 100-300 GB data caps on 100 MBit/s Cable/DSL.

In North America, sorry but there's not really anything I can offer to you other than Mark Zuckerburg is trying to bring 5G internet to the entire world. When Elon Musk's rocket blew up a month ago, it destroyed one of the satellites that was going to be used to make it happen.

Jokes on you, I still play on an old Dell 1280x1024 monitor. It's over a decade old and it still outputs 75Hz like a champ, which is pretty good considering what a compromise it is with a CRT. Not my fault dumb niggers drop 500+ USD on meme monitors with MemeSync and with a meme curve and meme resolutions.

Does it even connect to modern GPU?

There is a home for many of you. It's still welcoming with open arms.

My monitor is just a flat panel 1080p 27" monitor, it has no bells or whistles, it displays data that my GPU pumps out to it. And that's all I need it to do.

Okay I never ask for source on anything, but god I need it user, I want to marry this girl. She's absolutely lovevly like that stupid look, that playuf idiot way of talking. I want it I want to marry this girl honestly no joke, like I have to find her I have to make it it happen.

buy new hdd

I have a 770 with DVI out, and the monitor does DVI out. There exist cards with digital-only outputs, but I'm not a dumb enough goy to buy that shit. Even if I was, adapters are relatively cheap, I guess.

I have one like that too, but I prefer 5:4 and 75Hz over widescreen memes and having to pay out the ass for anything over 60Hz. Besides, why are you bitching at me for being a shitter when I'm bitching about inordinately expensive monitors with gimmicks and buzzwords coming out of all orifaces? You're black as fuck too, kettle, you dumb nigger.

I already gave it, for fuck sake.
youtube.com/user/JulesRenee7559/videos

Try reading the fucking thread.

Nobody cares that you stole an old webbum, mayonigger. You're still trash. You'll always be trash. You will be smugged on and put in your faggot hole, under the bed. Every time. From here until cancer is cured.

What the fuck are you even on about?

You can cut steel with that edge.

Nothing wrong with it.
If anything it keeps poorfag subhumans at bay.

That lethal injection does not seem lethal enough. Are they in pain or just whining? I'd hope western animal control uses a more powerful injection.

It does VGA or DVI-A (which is VGA with a different connector). No CRT does DVI-D.
Well, VGA was phased out by 2015.
High bandwidth converters with good signal quality are pretty expensive.

Honestly the whole thing seems pretty wrong in the first place. Seems like a PETA gathering. All those fucking animal corpses spread out like that, that's fucking disgusting.

They are being injected with acid and dying a slow and painful death while their internals fail.

Absolutely fucking disgusting.

Yep, it's muslims killing dogs because le koran tells them to. Religion of peace!

VOTE TRUMP

You finally realized your place.

Speaking of Trump, Shillary is getting fucking desperate, bribing all these women to come up with fake allegations of rape on Trump. Oh, Donald Trump allegedly raped/molested you, but you decided not to mention it until it became evident that he was going to be the next president, suddenly you come out of the wood work to sabotage his campaign?

You can go too, nigger. I'm not setting you up for DnC maneuvering.

mfw it would take over three years to download a 100GB file at 10kb…

I'm not a hateful person but fuck muslims.

I am. I hate Muslims. I get tired of this "RELIGION OF PEACE" narrative from countries and sects of people who see nothing wrong with the idea of stoning a girl to death for having a facebook account (actual thing that happened), or girls who were raped (actual thing that happens all the fucking time).

Not to say this in a derogatory way, but you sound pretty normalfag at least when compared to the average Holla Forumsack. That said, is that how you interpreted the story? You're absolutely correct though, if they really were groped back then they would have sued and settled for a massive lawsuit when it happened. That's the biggest tell that it's all bullshit.

It is an essential part of any functioning society happens in even the country you live in. When stray dogs get caught and go to the pound if no one picks them up they get an actual lethal injection then put into a furnace.

These guys aren't vets though just random guys. At least use a gun.

Yeah just read the backstory. They aren't actually working for the government just some backwater idiots using acid.

t. Mark

I don't go to Holla Forums. The only board I frequent is this fucking place. I used to go to /agdg/, /jap/ and /fs/ but lost interest.

Hahahahahaha. What makes it even better is they are more common in the country that invented the internet that in the rest of the developed world.

honestly I feel bad for you guys, you really need to fix your corruption and nationalize utilities

Interesting, that's great. I have normalfag family and they had the same interpretation, but my Holla Forums views have dug deep into their psyche so I can't really use them as litmus tests anymore.

In comparison to what countries? Data caps are on all ISPs in Canada, so that one's out. There's very low data caps on Mexican internet. Jamaican internet is almost completely unsuitable for gaming… Cuba has very poor internet if any. England most definitely has data caps .. is your definition of the "developed world" only Asian countries?

Here in Australia it's easy to get unlimited and as far as I know that is also the case in the EU. I might be completely wrong but I thought unlimited was common.

Psychonauts was 4 gigs and had every character react to every item and action in a unique way. There's no level of spoken poetry that could justify that many gigs. Who gives a fuck about story that much to need hours of it uncompressed?

Only second world countries living on EU subsidies and third world shitholes have "unlimited" Internet.

Toldja.

Lol.

Taken from Wikipedia:

So yeah, only in major townships and cities, and only because someone managed to break the fucking stranglehold that a pair of companies held on the internet. Most countries have yet to do this.

It's not a CRT. It's an LCD that does 75Hz. That's why it's a compromise, I get a little bit of a frequency boost without the size, but if I used a CRT, I'd get a better boost, but a FUCKHUEG monitor on my desk, which some games refuse to cooperate with for whatever reason.

Oh well fuck that shit. I'll leave digital-only output cards to the dumb richfag redditors that deserve them, then.

Fucking kill yourself.
Also, fuck you Bethesda, for selling your shitty game with 1/5th the fucking content on disk. I hope you get cancer, your entire studio burns around you, all your wives get fucked by AIDs-ridden Afghanis, and your children live just long enough for you to get attached before dying slow and painfully.

We had slow internet up until ten years ago but we have had unlimited be pretty common since the 56k days.
we still only have 1 ISP here that respects our freedoms as in don't supply user data without a warrant but it's better than none

Just blow your brains out already. Well, okay, maybe not that. It probably wouldn't do anything.

Data space is not the issue, the issue is shitty companies.
I get fuck-all for internet speed. Don't think it is capped, at least, but I get shit for internet because I'm not some piece of trash cityfag.
I can't download some 30gb game easily. Regardless of the space I have to accommodate it. What's more, I share my internet with the rest of my family.

how do we stop this???

Voting Trump will stop this

Thankfully CenturyLink hasn't adopted this policy in my state yet… but I have a feeling all of the ISPs will slow succumb to the lust for shekels.

the problem is that internet speeds have been fucking stagnant for the last 10 fucking years. most people have the around the same speeds they had in 2007. the sizes of games have fucking tripled

in 2007 bioshock was 8GB

2016 bio shock remastered is 25 GB

(((You)))

Hard disks are cheap as fuck, I have over 30TB here. Just buy another HDD.

What in the fuck, they should really just use 320 kbps mp3 files, it's not like you can actually hear the difference.

We should just switch back to 720p 30fps, it's not like you can actually see the difference.

I bet you don't even have gold plated cables.

(((YOU)))

We should switch back to games being more about the game and less about jerking off over benchmark tests.

"Cuck"

No one will hear the difference, even with perfect hearing you won't hear anything above 20Khz. And you definitely won't on some random pc speakers.

what is crazy there isn't a point in capping data there isn't any derogation of the cables

a copper wire that is used at 10 GB at all times will last THE SAME as one that used for 1 mb off and on.

its a fake wall that ISPs are putting up. i can see an argument for throughput because that's the amount of data that's being pass through the network at any given second but to say you can only download X amount of data per month is Utter bullshit.

very nice meme

ogg is fine too.

Kill all consoletards

Not to mention M$ still trying to push w10 exclusives, so half of the new shit isn't even available until you willingly install a botnet OS. I'm definitely moving to PS4 once shit starts actually dropping next year.

Are you fucking retarded?

I have bad news for you:
You have an LCD monitor which accepts 75 Hz input like every LCD monitor does at lower resolutions, because it's required by the VESA standard.
The LCD itself still only runs at a fixed refresh rate of 60 Hz. It can't do otherwise.

No one will see the difference. Even with perfect eyesight, you won't see anything above 30fps. And you definitely won't on some random PC monitor.

Seriously though, buddy, listen to someone's proper audio setup. Makes a big difference. Sounds absolutely gorgeous, vs some shitty standard-model computer speakers.

got bad news for you buddy
maybe you are the actual retard user, you don't escape a botnet by moving to an even bigger botnet that costs more and does less

Uncompressed audio is irrelevent when you don't know how to do good sound design or voice acting. Modern games run in a "stereo-mono" mode these days and LCD TV speakers are shite compared to even a cheap mono TV speaker from the 1990s.

COD4 is 8GB and is much better built than the new CODIW which is 100GB+30, the guns actually work in 4. Also COD1 has the best sound because you can use EAX with a soundblaster and it sounds really nice.

I stick with Windows 7 for my existing collection but I'm phasing out PC gaming now.
KB+M is not an issue, as I don't play new SP FPS anymore, they're dead anyway and Ultimate DOOM runs just runs fine on any toaster.

The Botnet is optional. And "doing less" is actually a feature.

Holy shit no one actually gets this.

Great way to just fucking abandon your thread, OP.

Its laziness and an anti-piracy measure, also a small advertising gimmick. "150GB? Dude, this game must be HUGE and look amazing! I'll definitely buy this and have to upgrade to SLI Titans, bro!"

How do we stop it? Make more of a noise about it firstly. Keep complaining on forums, leave negative reviews on games for just this issue, citing low bandwidth and caps as preventing you from playing a game the devs were too lazy to compress. Secondly, stop buying. I'm sure Holla Forums doesn't have this problem, but AAA PC games need a shot to the gut before they fix their shit.

How do we stop this, my rad dudes???

I bet you still eat hamburgers though, and if acid injections are where you start calling something cruel, you'd be really disgusted by animal slaughter.

By fucking killing yourself. This is all your fault, Zack.

10% is considered ridiculous for shills now.
what a time to be alive.

90% lossless compression is ridiculous as in amazing, not as in "it should be less compressed and bigger!" Do you not know anything about compression? Video games are the reason that compression has gotten as good as it has, and compressing 90% of your data with no loss of quality is fucking amazing.

Sure, there's some developers (not all) who are leaving audio uncompressed. But that's not the norm.

How?

So it's only a problem for people with bad internet connections? Well that's not me so fuck off.

He thinks that "game size being so big means pirates won't download it" – lel, what a foolish thing to think. Not only do pirates download it, they use their own scrubbers to reduce the size of the installation removing redundant data. You can't stop piracy, and even if you could, you really shouldn't try. Most pirates who buy a game do so to try the game, and those who like it will buy it. No one downloads Call of Duty for the single player campaign, they download it, try the SP and then buy it for the MP.

Neil Gaiman can tell you all about it.

Developers:

So convincing devs that they are faggots?

I'm not against piracy, but come on, you know that's a wishful lie. In my life I have seen this happen like, two times tops.

except it's not, I'm an example of it and I believe in the last shitfest over this an user threw an article out that showed that yeah: More piracy, more purchases.

He's semi-right. Piracy (of new releases) has actually gone down since Steam started offering refunds.

We'll agree to disagree, and I'm going to simply leave it at that because this thread is about game file sizes and not about the moral conundrum of piracy. I tend to have a more virtuous look at it, and you do not, and that's completely fine.

If there are developers who are leaving tens of gigabytes of bad music that no one cares about in their games, then yeah that's a bit of a problem. I don't give a shit about your wacky rendition of the Top Gun theme song enough to justify uncompressed audio. But I do have to marvel at how amazing it is to take 2TB of data, and compress them down into a neat little package that's less than 100gb. I don't think that's too excessive as long as it's not 80gb of uncompressed music and then 20gb of everything else compressed.

GTA V is a game that I always have a bit of an issue with installing. It's 70gb now. That's 30 shy of 100. But I don't feel that the game has that much content in it, I think that there actually is a significant size of uncompressed data going on there, and that bothers me.

If they aren't worth replaying, they weren't good games in the first place.

Okay, but what's the point of buying a game, if it's so big, that you can't download it?
This fucking argument makes no sense at all.
It's like filming a TV show in black and white because of

Eh, I don't have an answer to that honestly, I thought it was silly too.

Honestly, unless you really feel like playing through a game again, I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are games which have replay value, Dark Souls games, Terraria, etc. You can play through those games, try different build orders and itemizations, etc, give yourself a challenge.

But if it's something that is more of a story driven game with a set structure that there's no reason to replay again, then who fucking cares? You know this doesn't change the fact that
YOU HAVE TO KILL YOUR SON OR NUKE THE COMMONWEALTH AT THE END OF FALLOUT 4

Getting Descent and Duke3D dozens of other games from GOG didn't feel like a waste of money (was pirating all along during the 90s).
Was Pretty great actually to get the latest officially patched version with all addons included.

The Duke3D Megaton edition on Steam has a full mod/level repository, just saying.

I know, because I own that too.
It's not on Steam anymore BTW.

The repository, or the game for sale?

The game for sale, dunno about the repository.

I checked, the level center is still there. Fuck Gearbox.

It's not hard to make a game that doesn't weight 100x as much due to unrendered cutscenes, photorealistic textures and uncompressed audio. Most jews would wait a year and then release a HD remaster of their game and charge twice for what was supposed to be the same product.

If someone designs a FPS where you have a chair with HD textures because he thinks that absolutely fucking everyone has 6 video cards installed, or because people are going to care about watching a cutscene with a budget that's higher than a movie, then he doesn't know jack shit about optimization.

But who the fuck needs to put effort into games or have any kind of knowledge when you can spend money on unity packages or have rabid shills with post purchase rationalization defend your $30 EA title that has both DLC and paid mods.

Bumfuck, Nowhere is not Detroit.

That fucking comic edit is too good.

And yeah, people who don't understand what a "budget" is (as in frame buffer budget) need to stay out of game design. I'm sure we'd all love to release games with huge porous monsters with textured hides so detailed you can make out every pore and vein with layered textures on top of graphically realistic looking sweat and saliva dripping and shit… But someone has to point out why this "never seems to get done" ever before. Because you're going to blow all of the performance budget on a creature that people might not even take a notice of the details to during an intense and fast-paced fight. No one's going to pause the game midfight and be like "LOOK AT ALL THE TINY BRUSH STROKES!"

But so far as I can tell, this only REALLY becomes a problem in games which are exclusively PC. Consoles expect and mandate that games run at a certain framerate, so optimization is required.

Pirates have seedboxes and fibre optic cable.

Also if I start deluge before I go to bed the game is finished downloading when I wake up in the morning.

Pirates always win.

Yeah, it's only legitimate customers who lose when dumb fuck developers put in bullshit anti-piracy measures.

don't buy games that use 100+ GB's and buy games that promote good optimization and GOOD GAMEPLAY

Only game I can think of that hits that criteria is Dark Souls 3. Which I play a lot.

Markposting?

All fucking muslims must fucking hang

I'm pretty big (anime) pirate and gamer and I only use 600-700Gb. Ofcourse I live alone so that helps.

That isn't even that big of a part of the size.
Witcher 3 probably has the most voice acted lines in a video game and in that game a language pack is only around 4 gigs.

>>>/oven/

Some of us use other languages because the voice actors they use are shit…

Being a fucking Pleb and playing what they tell you to…

I do.

I never played a NG+ in any game other than Xenoblade Chronicles and the hero mode in Zelda ALBW, does that mean that every other game I played is shit?

There's always gonna be pirates but it would affect the number of them.
A lot of the methods for sharing are very slow making it more inconvenient. Torrents with not enough seeders, filehosters with annoying captchas and capped rates.
You also get no guarantee it's gonna work. If it turns out there's a gamebreaking bug you have to find a delta update for the exact release you got initially or get the full thing again.
They already use rapid update cycles consciously to discourage pirating.

LOL
full story? footage? that sounds hilarious

post it

Optic fiber connections have nothing to do with the radio spectrum, fortunately.

I don't have it, my hard drive refused to save it

Holla Forums would laugh their ass off at this faggot. And I don't mean the one in the video.

THEN FUCKING DOWNLOAD IT AS A FUCKING ADDON the only languages that matters is AMERICAN anyway

also if you speak 8 fucking languages fluently you most likely wouldn't be playing CALL OF FUCKING DUTY

if you pirate games you would know they have (English only ) "rips" of games they are some times less than half the game size of the retail game because all of the useless languages are taken out

Example assassins creed 1 (English only ) is 2.9 GB

Retail = 8 GB

THE GAME IS LESS THAN HALF THE FUCKING SIZE. you can look for your self I'm right

Patently untrue.

When a game is new it has HUNDREDS of seeds.

What really dissuades pirates is

Wait a few months and you can legally buy the game for 15 dollars.

the issue is it's a fake cap so it will only go lower.

It's actually a good thing, that current video games have all languages on disc. So you can actually play a game on English without having it to import from Britain first.

What is making them so large anyways, lack of compression?

What about his solar panel drone planes? Facebook seemed to be extremely invested in that, which is curious considering how much lobbying a program like this would take in several countries as well as the severe risk involved considering that even the slightest mistakes could be deadly. I'd also be concerned about potential terrorism with planes being hacked and used to fly into buildings.

this

uncompressed audio of 8 different languages

You clearly didn't pay attention to the 7th and 8th console generations.

Either way, bloated file size is just yet another thing to throw onto the pile of "reasons to not buy a game". Luckily, the same kind of people who think bloating game size is a good idea are the people who can't actually make a good game, so it's not like I'm missing anything good.

Americans doing animuspeak are annoying as shit.

God damn these are the people in charge of making video games. Complete tech illiterate fools.

Just pirate a repack.

No caps in Spain if you have cable ( bundled with shitty TV that is). If you dont there are caps, but the norm is to throttle your speed instead of charging extra.

That and two other factors

1: lots of SSD are partially or wholly owned by HDD makers and those want to keep making money with HDDs

2: at the same time nobody in the SSD wants to not make money, which is what happens when the prices plummet, so nobody is currently trying to outprice anyone out of the market

3: we are also hitting moore's law limits meaning we can't cram much more into a chip, which means NAND chips like those found inside SSDs will soon hit the capacity wall as well

Purchasing a last gen console isnt that bad of an idea, specially when the next one comes out, the prices usually drop a lot. Unless you go far back enough for the gen to be consideres retro scalper paradise.

Problem is when they shut down support, and since lastgen was all online you got games that simply don't work anymore

Except 3D NAND just got going and has massively increased capacity again. People are anticipating petabyte SSDs.

There's nothing stopping anyone from telling Elon "Facebook Destroyer" Musk to make mad profits by starting a SSD company and jew-bullying the lesser jews.

It wouldn't be if these games had 100+ GB of content, instead of being 1GB games with all the rest being pre-rendered full HD cutscenes in a dozen different languages.

revert technology to the Y2K standards

I'm actually talking about 3D NAND, my current SSD uses it. Regular NAND already hit the wall.

SSDs do have the advantage of taking less space so you could build a petabyte SSD RAID right now in less space than a petabyte HDD RAID

But we are hitting that wall which is why other solutions are being considered, like DNA-based storage

Optical discs are the future of storage!

And that's hardly an issue for the average consumer that just wants to install a bunch of non-shit video games (ie ones that don't have uncompressed audio and unrendered cutscenes) on a SSD and use a few cheaper HDDs to store his porn.

Either games keep getting bigger to eat up our local storage

or

Companies start compressing games to make them smaller so they can store them all on "the cloud" as a form of DRM

Either way we lose

3D layering is low right now. They can easily double that which is why some analysts are expecting quarter petabyte drives within a year.
I think we'll get petabyte drives in standard form factor before switching to new tech, and I think that'll be more than a consumer can possibly use until we shoah the telecoms.

AAAAAAHHHH!
sage for not videogames

I see Spain is like my country.

Want internet? You HAVE to take television as well. Forced bundling should be illegal.

We pirate superior repacked versions that don't come with cancerous bloat.

you don't nigga :DDD

So you can only download ten games in a month. Wow. Same shit here fam.

What's the point of hard drives getting bigger for cheap if everything else arbitrarily grows in size to take up the same relative space.
I guess I'm just taking bait.

I haven't read the rest of this faggot's posts, but I'm beginning to feel it's just a few anons lately who are going all out baiting in threads for the past few weeks.
Full time shitposters.

Make your own games.

And burgers still try to claim the US isent a third world shithole.

It wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for everybody on here taking the bait at literally every fucking opportunity. Seriously all you have to do is post a stupid opinion and you can make a whole thread go down in flames. I think about leaving this place every fucking day.

Oh look, more shit I won't bother to pirate.

Oh look, the entire SNES library (Including translated jrpg's) is only like 1 gig.

It's almost like you don't have to put up with this bullshit and there are other options.

It isn't. The US was part of NATO during the Cold War, making it first world.
Learn some history.

they are lazy idiotic fuckups, if someone makes 4k displays, they shit their pants and upscale all the old textures to 4k.
they skip on efficiency or design, filling up with uncompressed shit.

the faggotry will never end.
same as the slow as fuck operating systems that do nothing different than they did 20 years ago, but need 1000 times the specs.

faggot slash your own throat.

"duurrrr I wasted 9,000 on my titanium speakers signed by Dr. dre' pubic lice - I need to be reassured that I didn't waste all my money like a fucking gullible retard, by having the audio be 1Hz different on my setup compared with a 15 euro pair of speakers.
I can't hear the difference even myself, but the reviewsused so many adjectives that I ejaculated in my pyjamas and took out my credit card.

my computer is a piece of shit because I have no idea what I'm doing, but at least my speakers make me feel superior to people I have never met."

Not all the US, some of it looks OK.

But yeah American infrastructure is a fucking joke. Fifty year old bridges. Railway lines that don't have security sytems in place. Harbours that can't support big container ships. Drinking water filled with lead.

Guess what happens when people don't want to pay taxes?

buying indie shit games
I don't say this with out meaning it
fucking kill yourself.

The most annoying thing is how they have to absolutely butcher every fucking last word.

Fixed

by not buying it

Endless Legend with 4 addons is just a bit over 5Gb

I came in this thread just to tell you I live in canuckland and have no data cap. Go back to saskatoon nigger

Whoa, calm down there pleb…

AAA a shit

Say what you want about Shadow Warrior 2's memelands rpg mechanics or whatever but the game looks great and it's only 14Gb. I'd consider UT4 to be the best looking game of all time and even it is only around 20Gb (though once they finish the rest of the maps that'll probably double).

I don't get it, what did he mean by that?

You said like this shit is new. That's why games used to let you make partial installs.

For example. I had to buy a new HDD back in the day because I wanted to install Commandos II, Ultima IX and Diablo II (full installations), at the same time.

How do we stop this???

Not the same guy, but I live in Canada and they use data caps. They give us garbage upload speeds and data caps to curb piracy since in Canada you aren't pirating unless you are uploading copyrighted content rather than downloading it.

Shadows of Amn was like 4Gb in 2000. That was considered huge! Game came on 5 cd roms.

I feel old.

Laugh it up Americunt. At least I can download as much porn as I want and I can't be sued

Yknow, this could be solved by being able to choose the desired language on installation, like with Repacks. Pirates win again.

I've actually jerked off to 2babies1fox
doesn't even bother me

are the current file sizes necessary? it's not like we're getting way more content as opposed to games 5 years ago. they're just wasting our HDD space with uncompressed files.

Good to know

good goyim!

get a console

:^)

Why are you here?

good god, I think you need to be exorcised

Stop buying console ports.

There will not be a PC game (aka "exclusive" - all multiplats are fundamentally console games) exceeding 40 GB within the 2010s. Even high res textures made for 4K don't take up more space than that for a whole game.

Now you might say "megatextures" but there won't be a PC game with megatextures as id is owned by ZenimaxBethesda. The only PC game id gets to make this decade is Quake Champions and that runs on Saber's engine, not id tech, no megatextures.

PC does not need consoles. Segregation is best.

Enjoy never gitting gud because latency, scrub.

I'm here to laugh at you

Your post makes no sense? Are you even aware of what IDs are?

You are aware that someone can come to laughs a NEETs in general.

I have mid tier internet speeds 20 down and 2 up with a 250GB cap each month. This is Iowa internet. These garbage installer can fuck off.

I believe you might suffer from schizophrenia

Ah you NEETs generally sure do love your freudian psychoanalysis to rationalize your degeneracy and deflect criticism.

You can visit, but I'd prefer if you went back to where you came from

Reminder that the bronies are so fucking dead that they want to recruit on other boards for new blood or some shit.

Soon enough we'll have petabytes and faster netspeeds Except for the US because them oligopolies

I buy console ports for consoles now. But there is nothing coming out for PC anymore, so there is no point in having a PC capable of playing games anymore.

It's nice to know just how much of a faggot he is.

But big corporations can't vote, so they spend billions annually on super-PACs to tell the voters how much the public are getting fucked on their taxes, and get them all riled up against taxation so that they vote for Corporate Shill Candidate #2,837 who promises to lower taxes. And he does. Just not their taxes.

Repacks, complaining about it everywhere that devs might see, and playing games made when video games were still good.

You don't mind every game being 100+ fucking GB?

I honestly don't even care about meat.

What is supposed to be the problem here?
A Blu-ray raw for a TV show is usually 50-250GB in size and has been for several years now, why is this any different?

Because nobody except pirates downloads Bluray raw.

Well in this case there still is no problem, you shouldn't be paying for games anyway.

I'm playing a video game, not a downloading a fucking raw blu-ray.

And why the fuck would I download 50 GB for a goddamn movie, are you out of your fucking mind?

700 MB HEVC is enough.

Butthurt re-encode pleb.
A 4TB hard drive is only $130 these days.

Yeah, let me just waste all this space for no reason and buy more shit to make up for it. What a brilliant solution to my space management issues, fuck actually being smart with your downloading.

You know when you bought media in the past, the storage and delivery to your town was included in the price. All you needed to do was to take it home the last mile.
Nowadays publishers still ask 100 bucks but expect you to pay for bandwidth, data packages and storage on your own.

I have no problem with games being 100GB in the future. By the time they're consistently that big, we'll be using petabyte drives and it won't even matter.

How is this even a complaint? Ya, it was a pain in the butt to have to swap between 6 CDs when I was playing baldur's gate as a kid, now I could fit it 50x over on a $20 thumbdrive. This is how technology works, who cares?

Games are 100 GB now, nigger.

not all of them. Not even many of them.

best not be talking about muh sheeple fam

The point of the matter at hand is that developers are getting lazy. Not weather or not hard drives will be more affordable in the future.

one is too many right now and the games are shit in comparison to older games. For example wasn't NuDoom 60GB? The industry needs to get its priorities in order.

None of which I play.

Nope. No consumer is going to see petabyte storage ever.

they can get as lazy as they want when it doesn't even matter. Also, lossless compression is inefficient and lossy compression is horseshit, I'll gladly spend the HDD space on uncompressed textures and sounds if it means even a slightly better experience.

games being "shit in comparison" is an opinion, and not even a good one. If you're relying on AAA remakes of old IPs, well that's just retarded.

sure bud.

Fine, enjoy throwing 30 games onto your harddrive like we're using memory cards again, no skin off my back.

again, 100GB games are rare. I have 50-60 games installed at any one time on the regular, with terabytes of space left over. And I only play maybe 5 of those regularly enough to warrant them being constantly installed.

This is all a bunch of crying over nothing.

Since 2011 was the tipping where, storage cost didn't decrease anymore, since the NSA is archiving everything and leveraging the entire industry with taxpayer's money.
You can have petabyte storage today, you will pay out of your ass for it.

Nobody ever said that, as terabyte hard drives existed 30 years, they were just pretty large.
I'm talking about consumer storage and nobody will give petabytes to consumer, because that doesn't make any sense economically.

I don't think you fully comprehend how large a petabyte is.
But sure, if people continue to not give a flying fuck about optimization or efficiency then we'll be sporting petabyte hard drives. Not like we'll have a choice.

Get the fuck off Holla Forums.

hdd prices stagnated because of the floods in thailand and the push for solid state, not because of conspiracy theories. They're still dropping and will continue to do so

as a programmer, I laugh my ass off every time I see someone on Holla Forums say that. Its a fucking buzzword that means nothing in this context.

Computers will always get more powerful, smaller, and efficient. There's no stopping progress. Hang all who mock technological progress.

Bullshit.

But not those for consumers. These get actually less powerful.

ya, pure coincidence that when 99% of hard drive manufacturing plants were destroyed by floodwaters that hdd prices stopped dropping for a while. Its obviously because of NSA surveillance. Jesus christ bud.

stop buying Acers from walmart.

Oh yeah, I can't wait for those computers in my atoms that can store an entire brain's worth of knowledge. Surely that will be feasible within the next 300 years.

There is a reason, re-encodes degrade the quality almost all of time.
Left: 9.66 GB BDMV file.
Right: 3.83 GB re-encode.
You can clearly see that re-encoding it washes out the colours.

I know you're being sarcastic, but can't wait to see you proven wrong in 300 years so my ghost can bully your ghost.

If you were to tell almost anybody 200 years ago that they can watch a glowing rectangle that could allow them to watch an event from the other side of the world live, or that you could talk to somebody from the other side of the world in real time, they would more than likely dismiss you as mad.

Is that supposed to be Imoen?

40mb/sec at good times, 30mb/sec rush hour. Unlimited volume, speed also never drops ever.

39€ a month.

Rural area.

Double speed in city.

Signed,

Germany.

300kb/sec download speeds

$50 a month

Literally a corn field for a front yard miles down a gravel road.
50 mile drive to school.

Signed,

Northeast Arkansas

Merkel, Muslims, and Censorship… or fast and reliable internet.

Tough choice user.

Aloha snackbar

39 € a month buys a lot of vidya, if you not waste it on fucking telecoms.

779 kB/s download speeds

S /. 85.00

Literally a rainforest for hundreds of miles in every direction and I'm still living in a damn straw hut worlds away from any form of civilization that doesn't try to eat my overgrown hamsters.

Signed,

La Cabaña del Tio Lucho

>mfw even third world shitholes My guess Peru have better internet than I do.

InB4 in the future people go back to rip the games of videos and all unnecessary stuff to make it fit on a disk like the old pirate CD mix.

god damnit why does this video hit me in the right spots

Maybe it's because you live in a third world shithole too, amigo

right one looks better, blacker blacks

suck more corporate dick Holla Forums

You can look at the latest technological progression in CPUs as of late if you want, or even Graphics cards. It's slowed significantly, and now things cannot get smaller, can't get much more efficient, and the only way to get more 'power' is to make them immensely larger. By the way, you're defending the idea that games get larger in size and far less efficient, so you're a bit of a hypocrite in that respect.

I'm guessing you're one of those retards who posts the old 'Dark ages technology' Graph too?

But it's just a slight change in contrast. Does this honestly bother you?

Where in your ass did you pull this out of? I'm not for poor optimization in games. All I'm saying is that technology will constantly get more powerful. While we are seeing diminishing returns, that doesn't mean that progress has stopped or that it will eventually stop.

Tech illiterate detected.

Why are you justifying the lack of optimization in games by the idea that 'Muh comp00tr get bigga' then?

"All I'm saying is that technology will constantly get more powerful."

Possible, but unlikely.

"While we are seeing diminishing returns, that doesn't mean that progress has stopped or that it will eventually stop."

Yes it does. These aren't diminishing returns, these are maxing out possibilities. We literally cannot make things smaller or more efficient. One of the most sought after feats of engineering has been a massively compressed power source, since the 2nd World War ended, and it's still nowhere to be found. Hell, it's not even been seen, so to speak, let alone reached.

For everytime someone makes this claim and is wrong, 20 people have made the claim that we'll have some obscure technology by the end of the decade and been wrong. Tech worshipping fools do not understand technology.

Do you realize how stupid everything you just said is?

I'll agree that tech optimism is just as cancerous as pessimism and often wrong by a wider margin (flying cars and whatnot). That said, putting a "never" in a prediction about technology is just foolish. No we won't see flying cars in this century, likely, at least we have no idea where to even start to eventually get there. But you wouldn't say NEVER because it is simply no foreseeable if the feat can EVER be accomplished. Same with petabyte drives for your home computer. All you have is a clue of a problem with achieving that any time soon. So what? That doesn't point at the technology being impossible, just out of reach for now.

I'm like you when it comes to ray-tracing. Ever since it was commonly used for film rendering (Pixar and shit) some people are obsessed with the idea of getting it running in a real-time game. At any time there will be some prestige project running where someone somewhere out there is pretending it's just around the corner. I remember some guy from a university implementing some form of ray-tracing in Quake. Or right now the hype is "path tracing" with that "Brigade" engine that can barely run at 720p and produces intolerable amounts of noise (you basically can't move the camera or you're looking at noise). So this path tracing shit can't even do 720p while real game graphics are moving up to 4K…

So when the topic comes up I say nope, just forget about it. But I would never say never, because obviously eventually we might have hardware so powerful you CAN render some form of full-screen tracing in real-time at acceptable resolution and framerate and what are the odds of not even one game doing it then?

And what are the odds of there not being petabyte drives decades if not centuries down the line? That's what "never" would mean though.

Actually normalfagbook uses BD-RWs for cold storage. I would do the same for my old archive bullshit if the automation didn't cost a leg & arm

I just checked the video, it looks okay-ish, graphic quality is like that final fantasy movie from 2005 which is not bad but holy shit the noise! it all turns into a blurry mess if you move even a little

What are the HW reqs anyway?

You should be more like He is smarter than you are, and more articulate.

Fair enough, nothing is absolutely certain. And while I do think petabyte drives may be possible, I do not know much about hard drives in general. I'm fine with my 2.5 TB one as is, and I'd rather people optimize their shitty audio and games so I don't have to upgrade, atleast not for a few more years, yknow?

Generally, though, I only care about technology that is viable/reachable or will appear in my lifetime. I'll let my grandkids worry about whether they'll make laser guns or true virtual reality in 2100 or not.

How is what user said any different from what I said other than he's slightly more pessimistic?

You worship tech instead of attempt to understand it. That isn't pessimism, but realism. Plus, the other user actually attempted to respond and was pretty reasonable, instead of 'LOL EVERYTING U SED IS A WRONG'. That is why I believe he is smarter than you are.

I am curious, though, why exactly is ray-tracing even worth considering? It seems like it'd only really be useful for FPS games.

Hardware requirements are reasonable modern CPU and GPU I think, nothing ridiculous. But yeah, the noise is an unsolved problem. I remember the devs acting like it's some weird bug that they can totally solve with novel software. But the reality is that they're just using a low sample count per pixel and the good images you see aren't as "real-time" as they'd like to think. They're constructed over several frames, kind of like temporal super sampling AA. So that noisy shit you see everytime they pan the camera, that's what they are really rendering "in real-time". The rest is trickery.

I'm NOT an expert yet, I barely scratch the surface of what's going on under the hood. I know just enough to say that no, the devs aren't going to magically "remove the noise", the noise is not a bug, it's inherent to the method they are using and the only real solution are drastically increased sample counts which come with stronger hardware.

Having said all that I do respect those devs for trying to innovate. I'm sure some of their optimizations will find their way into eventual game-ready engines of the future. These particular devs themselves may go on to usher in the big path-tracing revolution decades from now, who knows.

Why FPS games?

That aside, I can think of two reasons for the technology:

1) It's close to how the real world works so you can forget about all the annoying "shadow maps" and "lightmaps", there's just rays of light (ray tracing) or rays of vision (path tracing) bouncing around. Once you have the hardware to bounce enough rays around you get photo-realistic graphics "for free" basically. No tricks, no hundreds of work-hours spent on optimizing your different buffers and for artists to fine-tune the look of your fake shit so it resembles something real. In path-tracing you wouldn't consider whether to use "real" lighting on character models or whether to have a flashlight cast a dynamic shadow and if so, at what resolution. All that stuff "just works". But you need hypothetical future hardware to pull it off.

2) Polygons become basically free, you can render incredibly complex geometry, no performance impact. Performance in general should be rather stable since all you're doing is sending out the same number of rays every frame and letting them bounce a predetermined number of times. At least that would be a standard approach afaik.

Number 2 used to be a big pro but it's become irrelevant. Polycounts on PC are at levels these days that you can barely tell a difference if you double them. This is also the reason tesselation has failed to become a standard. We're just not starved for polygons anymore.

So number 1 is, if anything, the reason path tracing would be implemented in a real game many years from now. Photo-realistic graphics and less work hours for programmers and designers.

See you cotton pickin' city slicker.

Call me Ignorant, but it's mostly just visual quality that it improves. Only games in the first person perspective will really be so stark in contrast to previous games that it'll matter, I don't think strategy, turn based, Third person, or MMO types will be greatly improved by it.

Right back at you, user. Better quality is better quality, and you can hear the difference.
This is the same shit consolefags were screaming about FPS higher than 30. Just kill youself.

And they wonder why more people drift from the indusry day after day.
The producer is supposed to cater to the consumer, not the other way around you fucking faggot.

I can't really hear the difference, and I consider visual feedback and less input-lag important. They also have no reason for being non-optional. FPS locks make sense if they are optional, not otherwise. With this, I'm going to have games take up several times the space they should, and in return for substantially less than i'd like. Of course, why not just, idunno, make it optional? Yknow, 'Do you wanna install the Uncompressed audio or not'? That sounds most sensible to me. Unless, does it take time or effort to uncompress/compress the audio?

Not ignorant. It's true that in first person games you get closest to the assets so you notice flaws the most. But

is still pure speculation unless you're saying graphics in those genres are already close to photo-realism or will be soon. I don't think so. I think we have another decade ahead of us before our contemporary rendering methods achieve photo-realism, even at a distance.

I can't discount the possibility of path tracing being viable by then. And if it were it would still mean a step up so it would be done.

I just don't think so, based on the past and based on current trends. I'm seeing ever increasing resolutions and a return to high framerates over eye candy. I'm seeing TSSAA making images clearer and temporally stable - the exact opposite of motion noise or blur if you think about it. Even motion blur has finally gotten subtler in most games, although I still think it will simply disappear in the future.

Absolute horseshit. Don't drag down legitimate concerns like framerate by associating it with placebo shit like muh uncompressed audio.

There are two reasons uncompressed audio in games is a thing right now:

1. It saves a tiny bit of processing power that would otherwise be used to uncompress the audio while the game runs, or lengthen a load time.

2. Bloated file size is a new strategy in combatting piracy. In third world countries including the US there are data caps which means people might avoid the bigger games. Or so some suits think. Whatever, it's a fad.

No, you can't hear uncompressed audio if the compressed version has a high bitrate. That's placebo. Studies have shown this over and over. People don't hear the difference. You can hear the difference between uncompressed and a 128 mp3 on concert quality speakers. This does not mean that you can also tell the difference between uncompressed and 320 mp3 on your home theater speakers or fucking headphones, no matter how expensive that equipment was (price in audio hardware is also a huge placebo inducer, most audiofags are convinced there's a set of 1000 dollar headphones or speakers worth that price - there is not, it's all marketing and placebo).