Difficulty in RPG

Does it feel like to anyone else the difficulty in RPGs always lean on extremes? On one side you have the RPGs that are braindead easy and require you to just grind and level up appropriately to shit on everything. Then there's the niche hard RPGs where you're guaranteed to have a bad time unless you know the mechanics inside and out and know how they let you break the game, you're in for a ton of bullshit. Learning the mechanics in particular varies since a lot of games have a ton of things that goes into calculating shit like damage that you won't know about unless you're looking up a guide on how skills and such actually works, or you're the most patient person on the fucking planet.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth has both of these issues, with normal being way too easy and hard being way too hard.

Would be interested in hearing of some RPGs that got it right, and what they did.

Is it normal to edge for hours, and then when you cum, it feels like you got kicked in the balls?
Should I see a doctor?

Rpgs are shit.

And i've dropped more games than i've played because the value of completing them becoming less and less valuable with each hour wasted on clicking same shit over and over again.

For some reason this does not really surprise me, it seems like the rpg's are inherently designed to be more vulnerable to gravitate to either being extremely easy or extremely difficult.

I can't really put into words why though, but I can give you this bump.

There is no balance I like my hard games who here on Holla Forums doesn't? But the issue is there is no balance what so ever to be had there are some JRPGs that are so hard that it be comes a fucking chore to play them and RPGS that are so easy that you can't enjoy them.

Granted there are RPGs both western and nip that find that balance its just they are far and between.

every time

RPGs are about learning to take advantage of the mechanics so it needs some leeway.

That's the reason I could never get into RPGs.

They always play off to me as calculators with pretty visuals.

Where does Skies of Arcadia fall in this spectrum if someone doesn't realize the value of Aika's reflect or whatever it was called?

is that why everyone's shitting themselves over persona 5?

I may be a scrub, but I feel the difficulty in Baldurs Gate 1 was all over the place. You had some situations where you could just bulldoze all enemies, and then there were some where you precisely had to know what you were supposed to do, or otherwise two spellcasters would just cast fear or chaos onto your group and then spam fireballs until it stops being funny.

The difficulty in BG1 is mostly based on knowledge. Some enemies (like basilisks) have a specific tactic that turn them into a joke, but without it, it's extremely difficult to kill them.

What are some ones with balance? Because all of what I've played were one side to the other.

I think if you want a good answer to this you need to separate RPGS from games with character progression. While most RPGs have progression, some don't and many games that do aren't really RPGs. Any game that you can grind in will be made infinitely more easy if you do it, and any game that has deep mechanics will likely give you a bad time if you don't know them (though not all of them are autistic enough to need guides). It's not just RPGs really, it's just those features in general that tend to create extremes of difficulty.

because it's a fucking garbage genre

Millenials.

Hi SMT4A. Final boss s literally impossible on the non-DLC Hard difficulty until you get the "break level cap" DLC.

Are you sure virtue signalling about how superior your taste is while providing no arguments isn't the Millenial thing to do?

No, to fix your weak analogy: if you approach a group of people with a question regarding Thing while wearing a sign that reads "I only want to talk about Thing and Thing-related stuff during this conversation" and some fag, after reading the sign, tells you "Thing is shit and not worth talking about", he's the millennial.

Pretty much. Personacucks have never played a real RPG so they think their waifu simulator is good

Aside from having to know when to use stat increasing items, I think gothic has fair balance of everything you could hope for in an rpg.

Every RPG made in the new millennium has been easy.

The only truly hard ones are those Wizardry clones.

I tried Persona 3 and stopped playing because the gameplay felt like, "Drop buff and abuse enemy weakness for a million extra turns," on top of being a boring VN. Maybe one day I'll go back to it.

Legacy mechanics, assumed structures, lack of creativity..

Long and short, as a genre, RPGs have been stuck trying to emulate FF1 for the past 3 decades, and because of that we're stuck with a certain design philosophy that restricts everything to certain well-worn cliches.

You've got magic users that heal and magic users that damage. Some characters are strictly there to just auto attack and be healed. Sometimes they'll toss in status effects because other games had them, but status effects make some fights too easy, so anything that is meant to be "challenging" has to just be immune to 99% of your abilities that aren't just straight up damage.

And then there's the way things are structured and paced, restricting a lot of these games to a steady exchange of blows in a drawn out battle of attrition. And the only way to survive is to grind so your various numbers are high enough to ensure that you don't die before you have a chance to heal.

Gothic1/2, Fallout 1/2, Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Age: Origins. There are a ton of RPGs that aren't like that.

I hate RPGs where basic attacks are the absolute best thing you can do with certain characters. It kills any strategy you could have. If I ever get around making an RPG, there will be no basic attacks, only physical skills with different effects and damage configurations

There's only recently been a push to revitalize the isometric cRPG, but in the grand history of games labeled as "RPGs" more often than not, you end up with a lot of turn-based FF clones.

Arcanum, Diablo/2, Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape:Torment, Fallout:NV, Deus Ex, Divinity:OS, The Witcher

I could go on and on. There are so many good RPGs out here of all types. If you mean JRPGs are mostly shitty FF clones, you'd be correct, but that's a niche in a very large and diverse genre.

Several of the games you've listed are more action games than RPGs.. and I think you are severely underestimating just how many RPGs exist that are turn-based, jRPG-styled experiences.

What you've been listing are exceptions that prove the rule, and even then, many of them fall into the same pitfalls I described earlier, only without the same turn-based arrangement.

They're called Action RPGs.
I'm aware that there are a lot of shitty JRPGs out there, but again, they represent a small slice of the pie that is RPGs as a whole unless you're exclusively a console gamer.
I'm sure you can find some common RPG tropes, but they aren't even remotely as rigid and restricted as JRPGs.

yeah, man, you show those stupid hater trolls who's boss

I know you bought this on sale for $2 and it's been sitting in your library for years.
Go play it, faggot.

You're not really grasping my point at all. Yes, those few games are different, less rigid, and unlike most jRPGs. No, that doesn't change the fact that they are outnumbered 50 to 1 by the massive library of standard format jRPGs.

I don't know what you're even arguing about anymore, tbh.

Just stop posting already.

You're still confusing RPGs with JRPGs. Stop.

literally every rpg is a jrpg
>>>/imwithher/

Got too boring and repetitive

i tried but im really bad at the game
like really really bad and im too lazy to git gud

Depends on the RPG I guess. aRPGs can deal with difficulty nicely, but more traditional ones cannot. Difficulty in an RPG exists as a story in of itself. You don't start as the master of the world, the hero. You start off, usually, as some weak, average bitch that has to git gud and grow as a character to be able to save the world or join the ancient evil or whatever.

Proof? I haven't played even one JRPG in my life (with the exception of their two western facsimiles Septerra Core and Anachronox) and I began with games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Ishar.

Try that in Legend of Grimrock. Your party would die from hunger if you do.

>>>/girltalk/

You can grind respawning snails for food.

Try it and report back.

They give very little XP to higher-level parties. Food is the only thing you can "grind" them for, but blue lizards, whatever their correct name is, are better in that regard just because they're more dangerous.

That's too slow to be viable. You would drop the game long before having enough to descend to the boss.

Only a baseless assertion? → trashman.jpg

Guess my three sizes, sempai~!

I haven't, all I know about it is that people consider it hard because you have to grind in a specific way or the game becomes unplayable or something. I never looked into it.

No, that's normal. Getting worn out after very long edging sessions usually results in discomfort.