Interesting concept art

Pic related is Chrono Trigger concept art drawn not by Akira Toriyama but by Masato Kato (writer for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears and FF VII) himself! What are some interesting concept art from games that you like? Stuff that possibly didn't make it or radically different character designs from the one you love?

More for Chrono Trigger

I have the Alice artbook. Shall I dump it?

I'd prefer if you just pick your favorites so other games get a chance to shine user! Go ahead and dump a little, but make sure it's not too much so the thread doesn't derail.

It's a decent style, but i think Toriyama was the right pick.
His style melds with the game.
Or maybe it's just that the two have become inseparable, either way it wouldn't feel right switching back now.
I will say that out of all of em Lucca looks the best in this style.

Chronogears never ever.

Madness Returns really is a bit of a sad title. All that could have been…

That being said, American McGee said that all the cut content was not so much EA's fault as it was their own because they couldn't hold onto the agreed timetable. Might just be diplomancy, though.

From the Warlords of Draenor art book: A fungal whale, presumably intended to be the ancestor of the fungal giant. It never made it into the final product.

And then there's always Morrowind, of course.

Some artists draw their girls in underwear/naked in the concept art.

I always loved how the Sonic franchise design their machines or vehicles. The Egg Carrier was pure OP.

Reminds me of those countless games with generic anime art style on Sega CD and PC 88
Going with Toriyama was the right choice.

Actually that's a pretty good practice in general.

I'm not saying Toriyama's style was bad, rather I'm saying its interesting how different the cast could have been. For those of you who don't know, Masato Kato DID get to draw art that made it's official release with Ninja Gaiden 2 NES.

THIS was supposed to be Ryudo from Grandia 2. Certainly has more of a Lunar vibe than Grandia yes i know it's made by the same studio

If he wasn't wearing that shirt, that suit would be extremely homo erotic

I have some.

God Rayman is gorgeous
That's how you do an art game

Yeah, i like how the team was rewarded with their efforts by being broken down and then fired.

Third party partnership with nintendo: not even fucking once.

Frankly, I'm surprised we even got Origins and Legends in the first place and that both are pretty good games (Legends suffering from the awful legacy of being made as a Wii U exclusive, delays and the combined kikery of Nintendo and Ubisoft).

whats the point of concept art, seems like a waste of time, especially for small teams

That's a damn shame. Never heard about that.
At least they games themselves are 10/10

look pretty, let em all know, "this is what we're going for, okay, we're not gonna reach it, but it's the direction we're gonna head for"

Some Skyrim.

That's all I've got for Skyrim.

Some (newer) Fallout.

Aand… that's it.

Only good game Ubisoft has made in a decade.

Fucking cucks. It's like you Americans are born SJWs.

I think I would've like Kato's art more. His Lucca is top notch.

It's a shame he doesn't draw as often. Hell even among other Japanese writers and Directors he remains obscure, despite being the writer for some of the best Square rpgs of all time!

They really should have made them into more of a grey alien race and not just grey skinned humans with pointy ears.

you know this game was made by the Chinese, right?

God, I've never played Oblivion, but I fucking hate how they represent Dunmers in this game. It's so boring and usual compared to Morrowind. I like the fact that they changed that in Skyrim. They did a great job on facial structure for elves, orcs and beastfolks.

New Vegas didn't deliver.

You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the Alice artbook, would you?

Granted Toriyama's art for the game is good, but Kato's Lucca is cute.

Ace Combat comes into mind, especially the artbook, Aces At War.

That looks great. I hate toriyama anything, so if CT looked like that, I would actually play it.

Elhaym van Houten life-size doll when???

When it comes to translating concept art into finished content, Blizzard's dropped the ball so many times they might as well be dribbling it.

>SHAD

You're missing out, it's definitely in the top 3 jrpgs and top 10 of SNES games.