What was the most overrated system of all time?

What was the most overrated system of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You just posted it

Easy, the PS2.

You're all retarded.

All of them.

There isn't a single system in existence that is flawless and doesn't have people shilling for it, or are blinded by nostalgia for. Even PC fits this bill.

this

It's obviously the fucking 360.

Even though it's correct, this post won't get any replies because I didn't post a big picture of it.

The Wii could play Gamecube games so that makes it better than the N64 by default. N64 had maybe 15 good games.

This user is correct

B-but muh wagglan

Metric.

The Wii and GameCube combined didn't even have 15 good games.

Quality thread OP
I can't stop it from existing, but anyone here with any kind of IQ level and/or life please leave the thread now, you will regret it otherwise

The 360 wasn't the worst, but it was incredibly lucky. It had the one year advantage and, for the time, an effective monopoly in the 'HD console market'. The PS3 wasn't viable until at least 2009 with the first revision and actual games.

The PS1 is in a similar 'it got lucky' situation.

All Sony did was release a CD reader capable of playing the bare minimum of 2D and 3D titles. Low manufacturing costs per disc and 'at least they aren't Nintendo' industry logic made them win almost effortlessly.

The actual PS1 console now is all but useless since the PS2 is a total replacement.

As far as strictly going by its own game library (rather than its hacking/emulation/bwc capability) this would have to be it. Not an outright bad console, but deeply flawed in many ways.

Otherwise it's definitely the Xbox 360

System Shock

I feel so sorry for my co-workers who like playing video games but have shit taste.

I think most people accept that the N64 was the worst 5th-gen console.

I would have to say the Gamecube, a console that has fewer games worth playing than the N64, yet has a devoted, incredibly autistic fanbase who praise it all over the Internet.

Sage for offtopic. What is the source of that first image, he looks like one of the monsters from the monster association from one punch man

Every PlayStation, or the Dreamcast.

the only good game on it is Bloodborne

Who likes this shit besides nintendrones and 90s kids?

It's not overrated. It just doesn't get the proper acknowledgement for turning the shit industry into what it is today

Easily this.

The Judicial System

it's just goofy art or photoshop you cumrug

Everything that came after Atari 2600 and Vectrex. Consoles had no reason to exist anymore since the purpose of console was to replicate arcade gaming experience at home and PC's were finally able to play arcade games decently in mid 80's.

Console producers should've just created gaming computers.

bruh

I can only enjoy the shooter games, the rest are gimmicky shit.

PS2 was weak as shit compared to consoles that came out a year later. It had no reason to exist.

It's just the fact that they had so many good games on one platform. This was because it attracted a shitton of normalfags due to dvds, which overly inflated its market making devs want to make games for it instead of the competitors.

This + the wii then made every console developer focus on gimmicks, which was one of the many reasons why consoles are now a joke.

People look down on it all the damn time because it was the poverty system.
Few argue against how vastly inferior a cartridge based system was to the Playstation.
64 had Super Mario 64 and OoT, great highly rated games that won award after award, but the Playstation had FF7, MGS and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

always related

So was then.

Everything above gen 3 was technically shit you shitdip.

And since when power meant anything with consoles?

Ah. PC master race is here. Good to see you.

Consoles back in the 70's and 80's were made because they were capable of better framerate than PC, thus making arcadey games run smoother. So, if a console has no power, it would be pointless to make it. It would become nothing but crappy corporate scheme to monetize video game developers by making exclusives. It's stupid.

the way exclusives are made isn't some evil scheme of depriving others of games, it may come down to that, but that's a weak surface-level analysis. Exclusives are developed in an environment that gives developers more freedom with how their game is made and gives them the opportunity to make the best game they can. It's very refreshing and the absolute best games are usually made this way. Developers receive excellent support, both technical and financial and marketing wise, and they usually get the opportunity to focus on making the game they want to. Platform holders want their system to look good and be more appealing, so they make sure the game turns out as well as it can, and game devs get the opportunity to make a greater project.

For example, if gravity rush was a PC game, gravity rush 2 would be out now as an early access title and have 1/8th the content of the final game, by the time they entered the final state it would work decently on half the users machines and the other half they didn't have the means to tend to, and the final version would be less than half of the final game we expect today.

If you're opposed to exclusives, you're an overly simple thinker and really don't have an idea how the industry works. On a face level you can complain about it being anti-consumer, but to me shitty, unfinished games that everyone can play is far, far worse than a great game exclusive to a system that a smaller audience has access to.

The Wii. Not even fucking debatable. The normalfags ate that shit up for no fucking reason.

it ended up getting some interesting games like zangeki no reignleiv and sin and punishment and was a nice way to play a lot of light gun games. Plus it's been superbly supported by homebrew devs. Definitely a console worth owning. Looking forward to wii u hacks getting to be as good as wii ones, dunno if that'll happen considering how unpopular that system is.

This.
Everyone shitting on the PS2 for trying to be a DVD player seems to have forgotten that the 360 tried even harder to be a cable box.

For what it's worth, I'd buy a PS4 Pro if they hadn't already announced that any game with a multiplayer component (which all of the good ones do), no matter how small, will not be getting a 60FPS patch because it would be "unfair" to those who don't have the new hardware.

Instead? Nah, still a fundamentally gimped, arbitrarily locked down PC.

Why when it has no gayms?

You don't get my point, maybe at all.

I'm not a fan of capitalism, but the fact is the world that we live today is run by money, so we gotta live with it, it's not the problem. This is the global axiom scheme. All competent games are made to be monetized by the publisher and developer, therefore the problem is not on the money making. The problem is, technically, it is pointless to create a console in the first place. It's not pro or anti-consumer, but consumers are dumb for buying consoles.

Good working environments only exist in console games due to console manufacturers and developers having and generating more money than PC developers. The environment is good because they have the budget and better management technique. It's not because they develop console games, it's because of the resource.

Not more freedom methinks. Just better environment. Non exclusive low budget games still have more freedom. Look at Little Big Planet, PC game, how could that wacky shit with ambiguous selling point be made with the lack of freedom? And yet, it was a good series.

And aren't all developers supposed to desire the same for their brand image?

Like those Quantum Break, Uncharted, and NuMale Sky devs, right? Or a fifth rehash of Demon's Souls.

And if STALKER was a console exclusive game it would be another CoD-Halo-GTA clone.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's, both PC and console exclusive games had excellent developers. Now they're all shit or rehashed. It has nothing to do with PC vs console war. I'm talking about technical performance problems with consoles here, not the human errors that should be considered.

The console was alright, but the controlers were a fucking mess, not designed for human hands.

60fps BB, Ace Combat 7, and the new Armored Core game where what I was potentially looking forward to.

Let's rush out something with excessive marketing and hope for the best, what could possibly go wrong.

Took me like, 1 minute to name 15, half of being ported to later consoles.

That abomination never made it to Europe.

PS2

You can already tell by the bullshit bingo name, that it's going to fail.
Guess what Sony's new console was called
PlayStation

Well, it was the most powerful fifth gen console, but they should've thought of competing with the fifth since fourth gen era was almost ended.

Wasn't it like $250 in the US and was later dropped to $200? That's a lot cheaper than 3DO and PS1. Hell, even Genesis and Snes.

The Mega Drive (né Genesis) was blown completely out of the water by both NES and SNES.

Nobody thought that the Jaguar was good. We're talking overrated not just straight up bad.

The PC

Some things never change

Arcade ports ran better on computers back in the 80's though. As soon as the 16-bit x68000 was made, consoles were left in the dust.

Thread topic was 'overrated'. I don't think anyone rates the Jaguar apart from 3 guys on /vr/

PS1
Just look at these ads and try to tell me this wasn't cancer.

My bad. Thought was going with overrated by media, and immediately jumped to mind. Wii is the main one then.

Pretty certain that never came out in the end.

Here it is, 3 years and one game worth playing, and it's the fastest selling console of all time, I don't think I've ever seen a more overrated console.

No-one thinks the Wii was good, it may have had some good games but no-one thinks it was a good console, It's not held up on a pedestal, how can it be overrated?

It had good games, it had historically significant games.

No-one played that so it isn't overrated

Kill your self.

Poorfag couldn't afford a PC in 1990?

Yeah it's always this one fag with Bloodborne meme

Comparing the N64 to any system with a decent number of fightan, shmups and RPGs is always unfair.

I've never been big into ratchet and clank, and VR games don't really have anything going for them exclusive to the ps4 yet but whatever, but fuck off with those two. I genuinely think there's only three worthwhile exclusives for the ps4, those being Bloodborne, LBP3, and Infamous.

Guilty as fucking charged.

Fortunately for me backwards compat on PC is good and I still got to enjoy all those fucking classics, all of them.

If you liked platformers you got the N64
If you liked console FPS you got the N64
If you liked good multiplayer games and didn't have a PC you got the N64
If you liked Nintendo you got the N64
If you liked RPGs you got the PS1
If you liked racing games you got the PS1
If you liked fighting games you got the PS1
If you liked Horror games you got the PS1
If you liked sports games you got the PS1
If you liked mediocrity or Sega in general you got the Dreamcast.

I'm impressed by your successful efforts of not having fun.

ur a dummy

If it was so easy, you wouldn't have to waste half the slots on sequels or clones like Perfect Dark. There are some worthwhile games, but very few, and that's thanks to Ninty's hostile relationship for people who are even interested in developing for their system.

Fixed
top b8 fam

>>>/reddit/ is that way

meant to replay to

There's one guy with a fauxhawk and glasses, and he ends up being the chillest one out of the bunch. Emily is a cunt but has a character arc. Some of the things you seem to dislike are staples

Never gets old. "Too hardcore for 4chan," rite user?

Posting my actual chart. This is more of my favorites than any objective best because that's hard to do, and you could easily substitute the Saturn with the PS1 if you wish provided we're including both of their amazing Japanese libraries.

Reddit is that way kiddo.

The Wii was great. All the 3rd party games that were made for it outside shovelware did it really well and it was the last true console if you ask me. Most games shipped finished and didn't have a niggerload of DLC. Also probably Nintendo's bet console. The 7th gen wasn't that great and while I did enjoy my PS3 in the later years I loved the Wii from start to finish. Also I got to play my GC games through component without spending a fortune on cables.

This is bait. The Dreamcast was a great look into the future of how great video games were going to be.
Too bad it died too soon and took all prospects of a good future with it.

address rest of my points, could you?

Just let it go user. The goddamned faggot will either lurk moar or get bored if you don't stoke his ego.

Still alive with ports and shit to it. Coupled with online being restored bit by bit, it's a bright future.
Chu Chu Rocket is back online niggers, we need a Holla Forums night for it.

I really need a broadband modem one of these days.

It's not that needed nowadays with DreamPi I believe.

blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html

You understand why your opinion is worthless, correct?

Sega was dying anyway. The meme that VIDYA WOULD BE GUD IF DREAMCAST DIDNT DIE needs to end. Sega were hemorrhaging money when the system was still in pre-production. Getting out of hardware was vital for them to survive, as much as it was painful to see.

Fine if you want better wording then vidya would be better if SEGA wasn't bleeding money and survived. Don't gotta get autistic about it.

Saturn's poor handling in the west really fucked them in the long run. Forgot the name of the president at the time. Fuck.

fuck you. Mario 64 is revolutionary and the AKI/Yukes wrestling games are god-tier. The tendency to go 3d for games was dogshit I agree but ayy c'mon.

Where do you think you are?

Hayao Nakayama in Japan ruined everything by derailing Kalinske's success with the Genesis in America. Then Kalinske left and they put in Bernie Stollar who barred the release of a ton of Japanese games as well as letting the Saturn in America because of how fucked up developing the system was.

On one hand he had a point, the Saturn was a colossal fuck up when it was released in America but at the same time Stollar killed it too early and prevented so many great games from coming out here.

Fuck off Nintencuck. N64 is Nintendo became an utter joke.

STOOOOOOP

That's the one. Thanks user. It's been a while, didn't the 32X fuckery also play a big part in the death?

Also story of the DC dying is pretty sad actually. Be nice if I could remember names, but SEGA tried to beg Microsoft to help them with it before it went dead or some shit.

I knew Sega was hurt to death when my favourite Sega magazine published its last issue in January 1996

Partially, but what really killed it was the Saturn. If Japan just let Sega of America/Europe continue marketing the system as they had with the Genesis, released it on time (instead of early in May 1995 and pissing off major retailers like Walmart), and handed out SDKs to developers to help with using its complicated architecture, maybe Sega wouldn't have had to leave the hardware business.

You only really need one of the N64 Mario Parties, and Mario Party 1 can fuck up your already shitty control stick with the control stick spinning mini games.

This so much, everything from the Pre-Hype, the shortages, and normalfags were all for a GCN with WAGGLE with the actual games getting a MAJOR dumbing down in the progress, had major worsening impact on the whole industry with the low effort MOTION CONTROLS and CASUAL focus.

I wouldn't call the 360 overrated because it did have a fairly strong first half and the general mindset about it is "meh" in the first place, but people actually sing praises about the Wii despite WAGGLE being a cancer that plagues us to this day.

I can't imagine anyone even pretending there was Wii hype or that anyone thinks highly of the Wii today. And I think all you people claiming as much need to somehow prove that there are people out there loving the Wii so much that it could even be overrated. Because back when it was released it was known as the "extra console" you bought because it was cheap after you already had your primary.

You do remember that Kotaku exists, right? that is all im going to say about the matter, cause i ain't going to go linking that shit and i ain't in the mood to archive shit.

The extra Console stuff came after the first year or so, during the actual release it was perpetually sold out in number of locations for about 6 months, for fucks sake, a person drank herself to death for one.

I don't think you know what overrated means.

Nigga I've been here since before the exodus, not that it means anything. And he didn't say anything else other than "I think the plot's stupid, JUST A PRANK BRO," even though that "It's just a prank bro" trope is a staple in slasher flicks, and Until Dawn was a love letter to a variety of horror movie styles. He might as well complain about ancient Indian burial grounds. "Non-game" is a non-criticism. Try a little harder other than "It has button prompts, I now have the mental safety to invalidate it if other people like it when I don't." Does it get anything for being the first game in ages to bring back tank controls? Or is that too dated and video gamey?

Simply epic

No. That doesn't make it any less shitty. I mean I actually like Until Dawn but there's no situation where you should defend it as a VIDEOGAME.

How's your first day?

That is true. But I don't get what the problem is. How is it a bad application? The whole point of Until Dawn is to call back to cheesy horror tropes like that. Why would this all of a sudden ruin a video game? Taking it out would be like cutting lines from Duke Nukem, it's a line between homage and parody.

I know there's more than one exodus, it still doesn't really matter, not sure what you're trying to prove.

Yeah he basically killed off the Saturn himself with a comment he said at E3 1997, saying they were preparing for their new console. It left Sega with no console to sell in America and no income for 18 months.

Also i think E3 97 is where Bernie managed to piss off Vic Ireland as well, which made him move the US localisations of Lunar, Thunder Force V and Silhouette Mirage to the PSX.

I know you were only going for 15, but these are also worth mentioning.

Ireland hated Stolar long before that. I recall he said Stolar made it unbearable to deal with Sony, and after the move, he made it unbearable to deal with Sega.

That would explain a lot. I remember hearing that at the beginning of the PSX's lifespan that Sony had the idea of "no 2D" in the west, and then when Stolar moved to SEGA everything flipped.

this is true

Legit why would you ever buy a fucking HP desktop? Oh great all the shortcummings of dell prebuilts with the lovely shit that HP smears all over anything they touch.

it's one of the two

jesus christ you just went full retard