Xonotic

Free, both gratis and libre, arena shooter.
xonotic.org/

Events

Weekend Schedule Polling
Polls linked in posts with the subject "Schedule Polls".
Vote and indicate when you're available to play.
Polling occurs per Wednesday.

Duel Ladder
One on one match on specific maps chosen through a voting process.
Rules and standards may vary per event. Currently a per month event.
October Maps: Aerowalk, Mint, Warfare

Holla Forums Xonotic Server (NA Pacific, 0.8.1) Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.140.2:26000
Custom vote options:+/-duel (available on Deathmatch game modes only)+/-smile-physics (available on XPM game modes only)

Newbie Guide:
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Halogenes_Newbie_Corner

Schedule Polling Template
p.teknik.io/Z2a4y

Previous thread:
archive.fo/KPWIe

If you're currently playing (early), announce in the thread so thread lurkers know when to join.

Other urls found in this thread:

webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic/v/2on2
weechat.org/
irssi.org/
hexchat.github.io/
kvirc.net/
elitebnc.org/
poal.me/gnqoc5
poal.me/zbf6b9
poal.me/bhxupj
github.com/xonotic/xonotic-data.pk3dir/blob/master/binds-xonotic.cfg
web.archive.org/web/20150105141339/http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/strafing_theory.html
poal.me/so7gj9
poal.me/gij7l6
poal.me/56sf8q
youtube.com/watch?v=ve0uuXKc7To
strawpoll.me/11524414
poal.me/elgxv4
dl.xonotic.co/hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/cpm3a.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/toxicity.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/downer_final_r1.pk3)
stats.xonotic.org/game/760144
stats.xonotic.org/game/760148
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=6695
upload.ee/files/6357436/sound.rar.html
volafile.io/r/BGqOPhe
youtube.com/watch?v=n_id0ezbcEE
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Aerowalk
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Warfare
finalchan.net/v/res/934.html
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2987
strawpoll.me/11749222
strawpoll.me/11760366
poal.me/3xdjw6
poal.me/ia20j9
poal.me/sgjifm
dl.xonotic.co/bloodrun_a3.pk3)
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/home
youtube.com/watch?v=a4bZrC4Ox3o
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4037
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I posted a bit in the last thread about 2on2 competition, reply to me if you're interested so I can have an idea about how many would actually want to play, and I'll try to make an official post in a bit (:

Definitely interested. I imagine teams are set at the beginning and then most the rules from the other ladder would apply?

That'd probably be it. I was also considering a slightly more structured system though since I feel like games might just not happen much if people have to initiate challenges themselves though. My idea is like 1 or 2 matches per week depending on how many teams are playing, and you just play the closest skilled team to your "seed" that has the same w/l record, then a grand final between the top 2 teams at the end of the month.

9-ball challenged mini on the 7th, beat mini on the 8th.

I would also be interested in 2's

Will update the doc when I get to my PC

Was going to post this since I forgot. I can upload the demos to mega later, but I'll try working with OBS again and see if I can just get them into youtube videos myself.

Are there any recommended settings for OBS recording to make my duels not look like ass? Like bitrate and the like?

Would it be easier to require that demos are kept by all players on any other server but only required to be given when requested by ladder admins? I'm all for showing off a great demo but this sounds like a lot of effort if its mainly for rule compliance.

I decided to try and make an official sounding post for this 2on2 competition. I would still like suggestions for formatting but I think this will work, and I don't think many people care since there will probably be only 4~ teams if we are lucky, Anyway:

Overview:
4 weeks of regular matches
1 match each week
1 game grand final

If there are a lot more than expected signups we can do 2 games/week and a 4 team bracket for finals, but I doubt it.

Weeks are, from Tuesday to Monday (as November starts on Tuesday)

WEEK1: 01 - 07
WEEK2: 08 - 14
WEEK3: 15 - 21
WEEK4: 22 - 28

Matches will be based first on standing, and second on seeding, so you will play around your skill level, but if you keep winning, opponents will get harder and harder

Default match schedule: Monday night, 22:00 / 10:00PM EST, 18:00 / 6:00PM PST (last day of the "week")
I will match up opponents on Tuesday morning and post in the thread and notify people on IRC
It is RECOMMENDED to schedule an earlier date that you all will be able to make, try to ask your opponent
If you make an effort to schedule and they don't, and they are not there Monday, I'll probably give a forfeit win
It would be really hard to make extensions because I want the next week's matches to be based on team records, so please try to avoid that
Try in the thread to schedule, and IRC #xonotic/v/2on2 @quakenet, so I can log your requests

The top 2 teams will play in a final on the 29th or 30th in a final
If there are teams tied for 2nd we can do a play-in type game

Ruleset:
- 2on2 TDM (XPM)
- Timelimit: 15
- Fraglimit: 0

Mappool: Bloodrun, Final Rage, Opium, Silent Siege, Stormkeep

Mappicking: Best of 3 for all regular games
drop-drop-pick-pick
Lower seed drops first, then higher, etc.
Finals Bo5, higher seed pick first, etc.

Any skill level can join, I will try to make seeded matches to not be boring blowouts, but it'll be easier the more people sign up
So please find a friend, even if you suck, there are also others who suck (:

How to sign up:
Write your team name / players / xon-stat links (if you use them) at:
Responding in this thread or
messaging me on IRC or in game (sawa)

IRC channel: #xonotic/v/2on2 on quakenet; here you can sign up to play, ask me any question, schedule match, or find practice games

If you don't know how to use IRC, here's some clients and a link to the webchat (really bad temporary client for qnet in your browser):
Webchat: webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic/v/2on2
Reccomended clients:
Weechat (linux, ncurses): weechat.org/
Irssi (linux, ncurses): irssi.org/
Hexchat (windows / linux, gui): hexchat.github.io/
Kvirc (windows / linux, gui): kvirc.net/

Reccomended bouncer (connection always, not needed but comfy):
EliteBNC: elitebnc.org/

To join the channel:
/SERVER quakenet
/j #xonotic/v/2on2

Servers: I'll try to find if I can use voting on current servers to get ruleset correct, if not I can set up server on Dallas, and probably can use Holla Forums server for west players

Standings: I will host a site with standings, matches, and will create it after some signups happen so we can understand the tournament mode
But most of this information you'll find posted in this thread

Prizes: 2 Eth or equivalent in Btc of your choice (:
Players from top 3 teams will get +o in IRC for future events if that ever happens too xD

And a couple videos to see how these maps play in 2on2

Isn't this the mikeeusa game?

Can only play on weekends but would definitely like to look in to this.

Apparently he's made some maps for it at some point or something? I don't think he's actually had any real involvement in it.

how about us europoors?

Most of the community is Europoors. NA is pretty dead though, which may explain some of the relative success of the Holla Forums server

I'd play 2v2.

There used to be a server in France, but the admin for it disappeared and it's went down since. I can help with setting up and configuring an Xonotic server though.

Indicate when you'll be coming online to frag (as opposed to playing Race CTS).

Friday, October 14th
poal.me/gnqoc5

Saturday, October 15th
poal.me/zbf6b9

Sunday, October 16th
poal.me/bhxupj

Some images not related.

should I still bother then? I'm in germanland.

Depends on what latency is to you. There's one guy from Finland that occasionally plays on the server with 230 ping and he says it doesn't bother him / he's used to it.

Is there really no vanilla yuropoor server that has tdm? Bet a post on the Xonotic forums could rally enough players for any sort of tournament you can think of.

As for the NA server, would be really cool to have a 2v2 server config. TDM, player limit of four, overtime adding two minutes to the clock instead of sudden death, and an opportunity to finally remove keyhunt. All good things.

no, that was some shitty fork of Xonotic that was "fucking everything under the sun, kitchen sink included"

most of the Yurops are circlejerking IRCfags on the official(?) Xonotic IRC getting their dicks hard for dueling

How do I learn to hop around like a faggot and go fast?

hold space

Is there a server for oldfags above 35, who lost their reflexes?

A surprising amount of people on here aren't too skilled; some of the regulars are good, but there's a rotating door of people of relatively low skill level. If the server's relatively populated you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping up.

Luckily, arena shooters are actually some of the least aim-intensive shooters, with a lot of the focus being on controlling map pickups and the like, so if you can constantly keep track of megas and try to walk into fights with 2x the health the other guy has you shouldn't have too much of a problem there, even though a good aim makes things 10x easier.

We have a guy here who has a sensitivity of 2cm/360, an awful mousepad, and angle snapping of all things, and he can still manage to roll at least half the server on a regular basis, so I'm pretty confident you won't fall behind.

Goddamn, i remember playing the fuck out of 1v1 rocket arenas in that CQC clusterfuck back when Quake 2 was being released. I wonder if i can even run xonotic in a P4.

Precision is not a problem, because you can git gud at it (and I was 20 years ago).
But reaction is never going down to 16yo levels again, a hard reality all FPS anons have to accept.

ZeRo4 is in his early thirties and can still play quake on a high level, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it yet.

The best Street Fighter player in the world is in his 40s.

I'm sure there are, but I was thinking about a yuropean server just for Holla Forumsaggots

at that point, I'd rather play against bots, I tried to play shooters on wifi once, never again.

latin is super gay

There just needs to be a host for it. I can share the config for the current only Holla Forums server and whatever help.

Is this surprising to you?

5 currently on the server.

You can run Nexuiz on a P4 but Xonotic, not so much.

Any updates on that duel ladder?

If you could go ahead and post Komier or sawa ladder duel schedules here so we could watch, that'd be great. Mmkay?

Turning and strafing in the same direction gives you speed, but friction normally decelerates you. Since there's no friction while you're jumping in the air, you just keep going faster and faster. There are three kinds of bunnyhopping. The first is just pressing forward. That accelerates you a bit, but it's not as good as proper strafejumping in either acceleration or handling. Then there's doing it with just A/D turning, not pressing W at all. This has slightly more handling than just pressing forward, but less acceleration. Then there's holding W and pressing A/D at the same time, which makes you accelerate the fastest, but gives very little handling. It's a bit difficult to explain in text, but hop on the server when people are doing CTS and you'll see it in action.

Found some interesting teamplay binds here: github.com/xonotic/xonotic-data.pk3dir/blob/master/binds-xonotic.cfg

Didn't use the entire config script but grabbed what I wanted out of it.

That's the main repo. Thought it had different stuff like the drop gun, teamsay, and waypoint it. Maybe it'll be useful anyways..

Watch webm. Race CTS mode is available on the server for practicing.

Here's another thing about strafejumping I found which goes pretty in-depth about the mechanics, although it's certainly not even close to required reading.

web.archive.org/web/20150105141339/http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/strafing_theory.html

Mine looks like
[Video Encoding]QSVPreset=1CustomQSVSettings=KeyframeInterval=0NVENCPreset=AutomaticX264Profile=highEncoder=x264QSVUseVideoEncoderSettings=0CustomSettings=crf=20UseCustomSettings=1UseCFR=1UseBufferSize=1PadCBR=1UseCBR=0Quality=10Preset=veryfastMaxBitrate=1000BufferSize=0[Audio Encoding]isStereo=1Codec=AACBitrate=128Format=1

mp4 is a clipped excerpt of output with just ffmpeg -vcodec copy and -acodec copy parameters.

Feel free to post questions about the game and getting good in here too.

Also anyone interested in joining for Nov? I know Fritz was interested in joining the ladder

I'll post the updated copy when I get home. Forgot to do it last night

Oh yeah, there's no need to dump demos in here every time. You can just link the XonStats stuff here or send it to me via email or discord. Just list who you are if you're an user player on XonStats. Demos are more for personal improvement and to settle any disputes

Feel free to post them though. I will look at em. Pretty sure we also have a vola so you don't have to use Mega

It's current day. Where's the spreadsheet?

Thanks for the reminder

Since its mid/late October now, let's practice 2v2s in the evenings (or whenever on the weekends) for the upcoming November event. It doesn't have to be with the person you signed up with. Also a good way to find a partner to team up with if you haven't already.

Last I checked, there's still a lot who're interested in participating, but haven't teamed up yet.

Fritz here,
wondering if THE WORST wants to possibly team up for November 2v2s.

I cant promise to show up. I'm moving homes and am helping a friend move too, and there is a lot that needs to get done.

Sure, lets do our best!

Indicate when you'll be coming online to frag.

Friday, October 21st
poal.me/so7gj9

Saturday, October 22nd
poal.me/gij7l6

Sunday, October 23rd
poal.me/56sf8q

Put my times in, may or may not be on due to being generally busy. I am however going to be on right now for a little while.

5 on the server at the moment.

Dells back again after nearly fucking dying, I'm checking in my timesheet for the 2v2 team thing for this (and the following) weekend

Anyone got the setup connection to share for Quakenet? I haven't used IRC in several years, and I can't seem to connect via my desktop client.

You need to find a buddy and name your team (optionally?) for the 2v2.

November is coming up. Any news on setting up the Dallas and New York servers?

Nine people on the server right now, we've had a few good games so far. Seeing a few new faces since i last played.

How hard would a new player get fucked if he joined outside of the newbie nights?

There's new, irregular, and rusted players coming in regardless of those nights. Everyone starts differently so it's not easy to accurately say. Whichever the case not all of us are pros with decades of experience in the genre, so there's little reason to be over-conscious about playing the game.

'newbie nights' mean jackshit on this server as long as you can strafejump and aim fast imo

also i am in need of a 2v2 partner (and team name) for the 2v2 matches/tournament thing, i'll be on the IRC for this weekend as i don't really have much time after that
t. Dells

Alright thanks

Going to go on the server in like 30 minutes.

A late night party.

Good matches tonight. Also 9-Ball needs to get his shit together and log on sometime during the day tomorrow so I can defend my spot on the ladder

Currently 8 players on the server.

how do yall keep track of the timers on megas and armors?

I can't do it, do you look at the clock and just think 'its been around 30 sec'? But how do you know if you aren't there to see it getting taken?

how can i predict where people are going to be to be more accurate with guns?

Pick up item. Look at the time. Visit the mega again at t-30 (or t+30 if you use the count up timer). Some people time by "feel", but that'll develop as you play more.

1. When you have time and want to chill out, hop in a map (feel free to pick favourites but dont get too comfortable with just one map)
Run around the map and make sure you pick up the items as you go around. You don't have to worry about fighting anyone else, so there should be no mental time dilation

As for knowing when it's been taken, turn your music off and listen for the pickup sound. Feel free to adjust your audio levels to prioritize the pickup SFX

2. Play against other people, play around on maps and pay attention to chokepoints, watch duels (dont feel that you need to stick to just Xon duels either, CPM duels work alright if you remember that the GL is slower and the rockets cant curve)

I have a server in Dallas, and I can install one in New York if needed, but I think Mario might make the HUB servers votable for tdm.

After you pick something up, it doesn't come back for a while. Don't worry too much about timing :)

It's something you end up getting a feel for, at least for me it is. You could also just straight-up clocktime it if you want to make sure you know exactly when it's going to be up.

What happens for me is that I realize "ok, mega armor is coming up next, then mega health a bit after that, and large armor at almost the exact same time as mega health" and then you just sorta time it by feel. If you can keep things relatively organized and play by it it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Then again, I'm pretty shit at duels, so maybe my advice shouldn't be taken seriously.

Oh, and another thing to add on, for predicting where people are going to be, it's just a matter of getting used to how they move and making a guess. There was this duel I had with Beemann just yesterday that illustrated that concept fairly well. It was on aero, and he kept trying to deny the rail at the top of the map. I knew rail was going to come up soon, and that he was going to be there, so I fired a few shots at the teleporter or somewhere along those lines, and got good damage off on him. I'm fairly sure I followed up on it by fragging him, too. Only frag I got in that game. It's mostly practice, and a lot of the time when you guess you'll be wrong. That being said, a wrong guess is only a bit of ammo and telegraphing your location, and a right guess is a lot of damage for relatively free.

I also find that it helps to compartmentalize the pickups like that. Provided you hear the pickup sound you can still keep time on things while not in control, and you're not trying to weirdly time everything separately the entire match

Eventually you get a feel for when things should be around. I used to do this quite well when I played CPM but the gap between playing that and starting to play more duels in Xon has fucked that up a little bit

You did get a frag off of one of those, yes. It's important though to consider people attempting to fuck with your predictions. I would ambush people at vort, and so they'd try to run around to devastator after taking the tele from mortar, so I started blaster jumping directly to devastator and hitting them there. One important thing about prediction is thinking about your opponent's actions in context. If you slap them with a rocket coming out of the doorway 3x in a row, they may fake out an exit, or take a different route, or attempt to delay and then toss something back your way. The reason why I suggested watching duels is because you can see where experienced players tend to go in those scenarios. It'll also teach you positioning, which is hugely important

Unless you watch Hal_9000 on Aerowalk, in which case you'll just see all the rocket jump angles needed to get right in your opponent's face from spawn

Hopping in. I'll be around for approx 40 mins for duels

5 players on the server at the moment.

Party tonight.

Good duels with THE WORST last night. Hope you're practicing on Warfare more.

If anyone wants to start doing practice duels, let me know or just find a partner and start fragging. It helps a lot, and not just with your performance in 1v1 scenarios

Maybe eventually I'll actually bother to use weapons according to the situation more than just what my mood dictates. Or maybe not, considering it feels good to land midair stuff.

In other news I finally got OBS to work at a level that I can consider passable, so maybe I'll upload duel videos or something like that.

Well, there are these two duel videos, mostly for THE WORST. One of them, I won against you. The other, I lost. Look over them both, I made sure to pick two non-stomps.

Embed related is one of them, youtube.com/watch?v=ve0uuXKc7To is the other.

Quick reminder that we're nearing the end of the months. Signups for the November ladder will end Monday night. If anyone wants to join up, let me know here or on discord. Participants may also nominate 3 maps. This month we'll be jumping up to a 7 map pool. Matches will still be best 2 of 3, but instead of going Pick-Pick-Tiebreaker, we'll be going Drop-Drop-Pick-Pick-Drop-Drop-Tiebreaker. Like last month, the higher ranked player will pick first.

I'll be setting up the poll tomorrow night, so make sure your nominations are posted by then.

Current November nominations are as follows: toxicity, cpm3a, downer, warfare, bloodprison, darkzone, fuse, finalrage

aerowalk cpm15 bloodrun :)

mini and I (Antares) came up with our team name. Together we are Brainless Goofies.

Oh shit. Aero should have been on there but I totally missed it. My bad
Adding CPM15 and Bloodrun though

strawpoll.me/11524414
Map poll is up. Let me know if I missed something

Again, sign ups are open until Monday night. For newer or less experienced players, know that your matches on the ladder are determined by who you choose to challenge. Additionally whether or not you join the ladder, I can attempt to help you improve at duels. Just post about it in the thread, @ me on discord or ask me in game.

You missed one thing: the site all the cool kids use.
poal.me/elgxv4
I'm guessing this poll will be ignored since it was started later.

Duelin' going on right now. If anyone wants to learn, now's a good time to start

shake dat buble booty like a fat nigres

Since October is almost over can the event organizers for Duel Ladder and the 2on2 Tourney post the roster so we all know who's in and if any entries have been missed?

Alright, final rankings for Oct and current Nov ladder posted. Updated with November's map pool, which I'll also post below

Aerowalk (dl.xonotic.co/hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4.pk3)
Finalrage (included in Xonotic)
Warfare (Included in Xonotic)
cpm3a (dl.xonotic.co/cpm3a.pk3)
Toxicity (dl.xonotic.co/toxicity.pk3)
Fuse (included in Xonotic)
Downer (dl.xonotic.co/downer_final_r1.pk3)

Tired of +back strats? Sick of railguns? Weary of maps that involve travel time to run into your opponent?

Look no further than cpm24, motherfucking Phrantic

More Phrantic is needed on the server. Vid related

New update on the duel ladder: 9-Ball has challenged Beemann.

4 on the server at the moment.

Phrantic is now on the server as cpm24.

Here's some footage of the duel I had against Beemann yesterday. This is the one from Warfare.

Damn close match; expect me to challenge him again sometime after this weekend. I'm busy this weekend, though.

Were those 2 TDM matches for the tourney?

stats.xonotic.org/game/760144

stats.xonotic.org/game/760148

If so, sprode vs Plann 9 (whatever Beemann and 9-Ball decided to name their team) happened.

Server at the moment.

Yes, they were.

Lost by a lot less than I expected. Pretty happy with how well we did given the skill gulf. Still obviously a lot of room to improve

"Lots of room to improve" is an understatement. In the few months that I've been spending playing arena shooters, only in the past week did I start feeling like I had a solid foundation and really had an idea of what I'm doing.

fite me fgts
t. beemann

Anyone seen Fritz?

I dont think anyone has, no. Inb4 DQ

Duel v 9-Ball on Warfare from my POV

and here's the duel on Tox after that

Join the next Duel tournament (without best players) in 2 weeks! =)
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=6695

9-Ball challenging Beemann again.

So what're we going to do about this? Think we're supposed to play a game before Tuesday.

Contact Sawa

also

My question is what does PL stand for

poland

packet loss
also if you need help learning the game, I'm on right now and will try to be on this weekend

WEEEEEEEEEEEW

Server going offline for ~15 minutes.

Hopping in for approx 30min. Willing to go over duel shit if anyone has questions or wants to prac

Next matches are here. Fritz, we need you buddy

This many people playing right now.

The most that came.

Match 1 of 2 v 9-Ball

Match 2 of 2

Server at the moment.

This game is fucking schway, why didn't I play this earlier?

bump

Hopping in for ~30-40 min

Hopping in in roughly 20min

if dubs we play ctf tonight

No dubs for you
Boot camp night?

More challenges please
Not just for me either, in general. Fight each other dammit

To be fair I kinda expected less traffic through November, December and probably January as well. May as well keep the chart up though

Also have some Bulgarian Odyssey

best way to beat komier: trigger him with spawn kills :D

Continuing discord discussion here re:AFPS and getting the infrastructure to keep shit alive

The idea behind Diabotical is that, as 9-ball said, it'll bring in at least some of the doto crowd, which means we'll probably get some streamers showing the game to their audiences. If we can build enough momentum you could use a fan site for Diabotical to launch an AFPS shoryuken equivalent that isn't dead like ESR. I think there also needs to be more multi-game events. FGC has EVO and we used to have Quakecon but now it's Bethesda shill territory

Another big problem that I've seen with regards to AFPS and popularity seems to be the fundamental misunderstanding that a lot of people have with the genre. A lot of people, when they think of Quake, think of flashy fragmovies that have crazy insane mechanics and think to themselves "Gee, that Quake there sure is all about the aim". Obviously, most people who have a solid handle on how to duel know that this isn't the case; success comes less from being able to make insane midairs and having 35% lg accuracy or anything like that it, but more from being able to constantly stay on top of the pickups. It's a more subtle kind of objective, instead of just "control this and you win" that most objective-based games tend to do.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem (or at least, not a very big one), except that there's a rising trend in the popularity of objective-focused games and a drop in the popularity of deathmatch-focused multiplayer, most notably in team games. If people knew that AFPS games were based more on objectives than just brawling it out, there might be a bit more interest in the genre. As it is now, however, most people just think it's a bunch of grizzled veterans who've been playing for 10+ years with near-aimbot tier levels of aim who just annihilate you, when that's not really the full truth and the situation's different than that.

I mostly had this mindset going when I asked when the website was going to go up, but legitimately I think some content on strategy and tactics would help also from a search engine perspective and make the gitting gud process (and indirectly the perspective of all skill no strat) accessible outside of a lunch hour break one on one session. Particularly concerning maps since many maps are ported between games.

Definitely. I think bringing back defrag as a prominent thing would help with that somewhat (race and fast caps are always fun to watch) and having some boot camp vids and articles about how important items are would be really helpful both for recruiting and for training

I'd need to check a few things and see if I can pull strings here and there but it's definitely an idea I've wanted to move forward with for a while. The closest thing we have to a central hub outside of ESR is plebbit, and I don't think I have to explain the flaws with that plan here

im uploading my sound pack which includes:

way better announcer files

clearer pain sounds

more distinct item noises

also swag

unzip the folders into ur data.pk3/sound. its located your main xonotic/data folder

upload.ee/files/6357436/sound.rar.html

After having my mouse settings shitposted for about a month without end in sight I decided to humor the idea and change my settings.

Just in time for that 2v2. Feeling ready to beat top duelists now?

Does xonotic compile on openbsd? I don't see it in the ports.

Hopping in for a bit

Don't know about OpenBSD. I just know some user tried to compile it on ARM a while ago and succeeded.

Anyone got any gameplay-related questions about the game? Feel free to ask. I'll answer whenever I see them

Also if anyone has any suggestions for server shit, whether it be player-driven events or maps or whatnot, feel free to post about it.

On request, I'll be updating the server if it runs and functions well enough.

has an artist drawn any lewds yet?

volafile.io/r/BGqOPhe

Server is updated to the new version. Above link has updated csprogs and the map Boil (which has been added to the server just now).

Someone with FreeBSD apparently has it working. Not sure if it would apply to OpenBSD.

You don't need lewds when the vortex fucks anything it sees.

Yeah of course.

Im in here all alone

For those wondering where I am, I am here to say that I'm sorry.
I have left unexpectedly but for many personal reasons. I've moved houses, and I thought that was going to be the end of my absence. But unfortunately I am now working extra hours and have little to no time to make it home and get online anymore.

I'm sorry that i have missed the 2v2s, but I also hope you guys understand my situation.

I'll try to find a way to get on more often.

Hey nigger

It's alright. Not sure what to do about it though.

For a match scheduled for a previous week, it's still an option to do them for the event right?

Somebody needs to get a webm of splat spawnfragging someone in aerowalk 5 times in a row

Server at the moment.

youtube.com/watch?v=n_id0ezbcEE

my config posted on YT. look for more content to be uploaded nerds

happy now nigger?

The improvement I like is that a/d turning is ridiculously easier. The vortex stuff however feels a bit marginal since I feel others will decide their shots faster or before I will.

This makes way too much sense. So much for the only cts maps that I can consistently beat you on.

Get a real mouse pad and give it a few more days niggerfaggot. Then you'll beat all of us in both vortex speed and accuracy.

Why would i play this when i can play UT99 for free?

Daily matches, players of a variety of skill levels, fun weapons, really fun movement, and good maps?

That's quite the confidence you have in me.

Also I found some Xonotic wikia and decided to add some pages for fun.

People predict the spawns I'm pretty sure. If I recall correctly in some AFPS the spawn algorithm is based on distance from where you died so theres a chance someone will spawn in the lower room across the mega hall and its easy to spawn frag them there.

If you know Aerowalk enough to add to the page, feel free to.
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Aerowalk

Warfare page for reference.
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Warfare

They're two completely different games. This takes more after Quake, but even then there are a lot of differences between the two.

we CTS now

Any new willing ladder participants or map nominations for December? Not expecting a ton of traffic but I figure we may as well keep it rolling

Is your mouse and keyboard proprietary? Time to stop playing vidya until you find some that are.

Damn did I miss it?

Hardware companies still put out a decent product. Let me know when the vidya industry starts doing that again.

The ladder is monthly

Yeah if you're referring to the ladder, just post your username and let me know you want in for December onwards and you're in. You also get 3 map nominations, and a vote on the overall pool, if you're into that sort of thing
To be honest I'd like to get everyone interested in duels in the ladder. You can set your own pace and goals and the more newish/casual players we have on it the more the lower end will open up anyway. As long as you can show up for challenges it's all good

I play for the arena shooter part. The free part helps, too.

What do you guys think about the arc as opposed to the mg? I think both are pretty poor substitutes for an lg but at least the mg doesn't require leading. Do you guys think theres any good reason not to have a lg-like tracking weapon?

Aesthetically, I like the MG more. The Arc has a terrible sound effect to it, and the burst fire for MG is an easy to recognize and understand concept.

Gameplay wise, Hagar would be and is already the tracking weapon that requires leading because of the projectile travel time. The Arc does solve the issue of MG being the limited-by-range-from-spread and the head/cooldown obviates the need for a manual reload key. There's a lot of versions for the Arc, but I'm not for streamlining the weapons, the version where the Arc alt fire is a "laser Hagar".
(Despite it's flaws, I still prefer the MG. The spread is questionable but to have a hitscan beam with a diminishing by range dps sounds like an alternative possibility. I think I prefer MG over the Arc's fixed range.)

As for reasons not to, it does solidify the Quake clone accusations. I'm not sure if that's a good reason or not. Conceptually I think a tracking weapon would be good to have.

Both of them are mediocre and in all honesty, I'm more or less okay with it, for the most part. If I had to pick between the two of them, the arc would probably be preferable because the MG tries to limit its range through inaccuracy whereas the arc just has a hard cap on its range. Forced inaccuracy in an arena shooter just feels wrong. Tracking-based dps weapons that you hold out for a while are nice and all, but I think that considering xon has that whole constantly switching weapon thing going on, I'm more or less okay with these kinds of weapons not being that great.

MG is the way to go for short/medium distance fights if you're trying to finish off your opponent. In TDM it can be a staple in some matches due to its relatively high DPS and being able to track multiple targets. Also, if you're someone who plays in a lot of high ping the client side hitscan can come in big in games like that. The arc is shit atm because its unfinished and unbalanced.

I prefer the arc in concept but wish it wasn't an underdeveloped noodlegun

Linking here for reciprocity.
finalchan.net/v/res/934.html

The occasion being a new player from finalchan showing up.

9-Ball challenging Beemann again sometime this weekend.

You don't even need to be good at this game, you just need to have a larger stack.
I dealt 3000 more damage to this guy but he had 20 more frags on me. Absolutely the most bullshit match i have ever had.
Had the nerve to say gg afterwards

Is this clumsy? Or a different match?

No its not. And
Didn't even deal 3k more damage.

Was just checking. There were 3 matches with a decent frag differential today, one won by me, one won by Ant, and one won by a player whose stats I can't see. Scores were 23 to -1, 20 to 5 and 19 to 6 respectively. I figured I'd cover my bases

In no matches is there a significant difference between damage dealt, so yeah we can be sure that even if we're taking 3k as an exaggeration, there's some confirmation bias going on. The losing player did not deal a single point of damage more than the winner in any of the 3

To address your issue directly,
stack is a primary mechanic, and it is arguably less important in Xonotic than it is in Quake/CPM/etc due to the nature of pickups and the ease with which you can dish out damage. You don't need to pick up an item to prevent yourself from getting 1hit off spawn, and you can absolutely outplay a player with higher stack (though obviously this is going to be more difficult the better said player is). All that said, it's really easy to stack yourself up, especially if you decide to play vanilla instead of xpm. Positioning and weapon choice make far more of a difference

is there a way to have the laser never be selected when switching to the last weapon equipped?

It takes a little bit of time going back to launcher / vortex combo with Q and if laser gets in there, i accidentally try to follow up a rocket shot with a laser

Why are so many servers listed as 0 ping

Double dubs checked
Latency blessed by Kek.

I don't think there is, but I'd strongly recommend keybinds for each weapon rather than using a quickswitch key

I personally use q,e,r,f,shift,thumbbutton,scrollup,c,1,2 though not in that order

way better in the long run than scrollwheel and use last

There's a way to do that described here (under Weapon Combos) forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2987

Deliberate practice to get timing down would probably help. I need to do the same.

You get the stack by knowing where to go and when, and keeping your timings down. If someone's in control and can get the stack, the skill comes down to try to poke him whenever he gets the stack as well as sneaking in getting some of your own so that you can contest and take control. That's the skill part; it's pretty common to most every AFPS. Be it Quake, Xonotic, UT, Warsow, Reflex, or whatever, stack is a key mechanic and the management of it is how you win duels. AFPS are not about who has the faster reflexes and better aim (although it helps plenty), it's about the map and pickup control. If you wanted to play a solely aim-based gametype, go play clan arena. Plenty of people on Quake Live do so already.

Poll for December is up. If you're in the ladder and care at all about the map pool, please vote.
Sign-ups still available
strawpoll.me/11749222

But I don't like faggothopping like a bunny

git gud faggot :^)

Also posting this here again for anyone that missed it

fix from /operate/
not admin

Come forth. We need a heartbeat on the event.

Thanks.

strawpoll.me/11760366
2nd poll for a tiebreaker. If anyone in the ladder hasnt voted, please do so. Current tie is between Bloodprison and SilentSiege

The Holla Forums server now has the following maps.
cpm29_nex_r1
cpm16_nex_r1
monsoon_q3
charon3dm13
cpm7
cpm17
cpm10_nex_r1

These are pretty much the file names of the maps too. If its the wrong version tell me.

Also the duel mode vote now has its own maplist to include maps that are actual duel maps instead of sharing the map pool with DM.

Didn't expect this, but people playing right now.
Schedule polls coming up so we all can get together at the same times.

Apparently it looks like we're getting Silentsiege instead of bloodprison for December, it looks like. Maybe I'll actually have to learn how to play that map now for once.

Friday, December 2nd
poal.me/3xdjw6

Saturday, December 3rd
poal.me/ia20j9

Sunday, December 4th
poal.me/sgjifm

Indicate when you'll be coming online to play for tomorrow and the weekend. As usual if you're the only one on the server, post in the thread so thread lurkers know to join.

Server right now.

Map Pool for December is as follows:
Finalrage (included in Xonotic)
Warfare (Included in Xonotic)
Toxicity (dl.xonotic.co/toxicity.pk3)
Aerowalk (dl.xonotic.co/hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4.pk3)
Stormkeep (Included in Xonotic)
Bloodrun (dl.xonotic.co/bloodrun_a3.pk3)
Silentsiege (Included in Xonotic)

So there's a wiki, mostly with useful stuff for the server owners and programmers but maybe also for the middling duelers. No link on the home page or anywhere else. Add it to the OP next time?

gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/home

I'm around, I've simply detonated an autism bomb in one of the duel servers.

Any thoughts on the maps Ant added recently? I just looked through my CPM folder and found some that seemed fun, checked for Xon conversions and asked Ant if we could have them. I checked them out briefly but havent really taken them through the paces with Xon's movement/weapons

Stupid bastard you stole my digits.

taking frags, taking quints

bring me everyone

hurry up and make it official beeman

SPLATMANIA has begun

I don't know them by name yet and haven't played them much. cpm17 seems fun to strafe around in, but I don't think I will appreciate a Vortex fight in it.

To be totally honest I mostly like CPM17 as a newbie map. It's got a very straightforward layout, only 3 teleporters, and 2 of those teleporters form a loop
It also doesn't skimp out on having a mega, so both MA and MH are there to time. There's a 50 to time as well, and I don't think there's any weapons missing either

And yeah, the straight lines and gaps between platforms are good for strafe and circle practice

mini and THE WORST played their matches. SPLAT won both.

Also server activity

jews

TRIGGERED

Can 6 or at least 4 of us decide to go on at some time to play. This is just so if the pubs come and go, and really screw over the teams, there'll at least be 3 or 2 of us on each team. Not a serious tournament or anything, just a bit more coordination needed than the usual FFA or CTS.

I can make it XPM CTF + defrag or smile physics to make it special.
Some of us just need to stop playing webm related and we can easily get it going.

Where's the poll? I want

Need 2 more for it. Then we can just discuss a time. A poll sounds much if its targeted towards 4 people.

Wouldn't mind it, depending on what day/time it ends up happening

Worth noting though that CTF has a speed cap in multiple games for a reason. Has anyone in Xon coded a flag drag mod?

Just write down the day/times you're all available to play and let's pick the time that overlaps with us all.

I don't know about flag dragging. Think we all know the flags can be bounced with explosives. You can drag people around with the grappling hook and probably the same can be done for an entity like a flag, but then that trivializes everything else with movement.

Flag drag means your accel/speed is slowed when you have the flag. Basically the issue with CTF is that defenders need to have more than a >1s window to deal with attackers. Your options for this are strong long range hitscan and lots of firing angles (not fun), constant cap rotations because your defenders can do fuck-all (not fun) or having some method of slowing the capper down or limiting their movement in some way so they need to have their route planned, and will have a harder time improvising. This is something Tribes has to deal with as well, though with the older titles cappers were more route bound than they were in Ascend or Vengeance

We found Polygon.

I could have sworn I saw this on a different server.

Vid related

I'll make sure to challenge you next week as compensation, SPLAT. Forfeits a shit

Will check around for any other matches and update when possible

Rageball shares his thoughts

As much as I'll abuse them when needed, corridors that you can cover the width of with a single rocket or mortar are triggering.

somewhat unrelated but turns out Warsow is completely dead now and all development has stopped. Sucks, used to enjoy that game aside from the bullshit insta switch OP LG with way too much knockback.

Completely dead -now-? It wasn't before?

As in development has stopped and officially no support whatsoever, yes.

I wasn't surprised when I heard one of the devs was taking his ball and going home

I did it.
The mokou spam has worked.
sawa is returning.

Also some user literally named user in-game went into the server while I was testing whether XPM CTF was configured properly. While it was configured properly he only stayed for one match and left shortly after.

Sorry if I have scared you off or some shit as blamed by THE WORST. If you stick around, you're sure to get some help getting to the intermediate level, doing everything that is hyperbolized etc.

Reminds me of how in firefall i once managed to get about 160 completely random people to make a player tower like that

It's a fun thing to do to afk'ers.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
HAIR GENERAL U FUCKING STUPID CUNT
SAGED

So monsoon_q3 is improperly scaled and supposedly there should only be one prejump involved to get to Mega health.

Someone Else could elaborate more.

wat

fuck you

ebin furfag bot spam???

Post best motivated theme
youtube.com/watch?v=a4bZrC4Ox3o

You may be a bot, but that's a decent choice.

PS4 owner here.

If you can't already answer that question yourself then the answer is probably no. Look up a list and see what appeals. If you can't justify the purchase just borrow a PS4 from a friend.

Only one prejump? So there SHOULD be a circlejump into a strafejump to mh, sorta like how people do bridge to rail on campgrounds? What's it now?

Certainly better than Sticker Star, that's for sure.
Battling system is just not good at all.
The dialogue is good again.
It's kinda just there. Like a meme.

Where will Paper Mario go from here? What's gonna happen to the series? Will they realize their mistakes? Or will they make the series worse?

Yeah the elevator gets pricey, not as much as reviving your character on higher levels though

I've used g2a and cd keys for years. Anybody that doesn't is a fag and can't into online security

So, what the fuck is the story?
Was Shadow a robot in Heroes? What about StH?

Dudes you don't need a dongle at all you can literally just plug it in with micro usb

Is this game portable, or do I need to install it?

There are a lot of Californians, more than any other American state from what I can see

Yeah I did notice that but didnt think much of it because we have blasterjumps. If there's a better version out there we might as well use it but I dont think it's the worst problem to have. Definitely better than micromachines hallways

You just need to grab the folder. As far as I'm aware it's fairly portable but on windows it'll put your maps/configs in a USERS folder

Assuming you're not the asshurt furfag's spam bot. You just unpack a zip file.

I used to do the shower scene and fantasize a whole lot

Thanks

You have nothing to worry about

He said underrail, not undertale.

Naoto>Rise>Teddie as a drag queen>>>Chie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yukiko

Dunno about downgraded on the switch, but overall, it looks like utter dog shit.

no love for the Snow Bros?
shame on you Holla Forums

I'm trying to change the game from fullscreen to windowed mode, but it keeps freezing every time I click apply. I have to kill it using the power button on my computer. What gives?

Is this something Nintendo would allow in CURRENT YEAR?

lol

tatsu isn't even that terrible, Lin is the fucking worst when interacting with him

Yes.

Sounds similar to a problem one of my friends has (because he uses a Mac). He had to open config.cfg and change "vid_fullscreen" to 0. The game engine has some nuances between just assigning a value to the cvar and
set "vid_fullscreen" "0"seta "vid_fullscreen" "0"
If that setting is being reverted when you exit the game, use seta.

Also, the server browser is empty. I can't show you because it's screencapping the desktop instead of the game, but it's empty and I don't see a refresh function.

Server browser takes a while to populate. It's weird if it just stays empty- if console (~), then connect
doesn't work, then some network setting might be blocking the game.

f12 should screencap.

I was just playing some Doomseeker not too long ago, it isn't the network. Regardless, the console command connect 98.176.140.2:26000 seems to have worked.

I'm running the game portably. Where is the config file located? I can't even find it in search.

Oh no way

Normally its in C:/Users/Username/Saved Games/xonotic/data
But since you're running portable, I don't know myself. There should be some people sitting on the IRC that might know better.

Also there's 4 on the server right now.

Forgot my image but

forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4037
this might be relevant.

When was the last time Xonotic was updated?

Stable release is a year old.
The beta, which a lot of servers run, has nigh daily updates. The Holla Forums server is also runs it, but I keep it at the same build for a while and update it for a significant bug fix or new feature.

had a good 2 hours of fun blokes n lads even though most of that was just chatter also i forgot i gotta wake up at 9am FUCK

and its 6am just fucl

Gonna head off to bed, but this was a lot of fun. The server host is super cool and is open for anything that the server wants to do, even went over strafe jumping with a few of us. Definitely coming back soon.

Within the last minute.

neat

A friend of mine has set up a Holla Forums server in Europe. Name in list is Holla Forums Absolute Wrath but IP is 188.112.171.238. Hosted in Latvia.

The story of Nexuis is pretty funny, they tried to be an actual dev and popularize the game to a wider audience, only to have everyone say fuck you to them and have the game completely die with 9 players a month at peak.

I made it myself with my shit tier Green Is My Pepper skills and set it on 0 compression.

Just vote for xoylent and open the secret room

I don't see it in the server list however I can connect to it. Is sv_public set to 1 on that server?

Is this the beginning of a new era?

No idea, sorry, I'll ask him now.

anybody else this weird-ass bug on the Holla Forums server?
i've checked other servers and they work perfectly fine, but the Holla Forums one doesn't for some weird-ass reason

Black map (sometimes you can see the checkpoints, other players, and items), means the map download failed. The other servers would be fine as long as their current map isn't the same one that failed.

Delete the map file and try again.

Also I got it on my favorites list by manually typing out hMLqaXWHhG7E1eBxFSthXQtJ7SZy7kJexB/fDLP8vOU=
And then sticking it in my net_slist_favorites.
It looks like this at the moment.

Looks as if it didn't load the server config, should be fine now. However, I do get a "Error response from keygen server: Not allowed" message on Win64 binaries.

Apparently it didn't read his config, try again.

Some people playing on the North American server at the moment.

I'm thinking of adding the most common bugs that we deal with to the wikia wiki along with duel strats and tactics and trick jumps as I have the time. Thoughts?

Sounds good. I'm sure any wiki browser would appreciate that

I'd say the bugs don't belong on their own page. You can probably add the black maps issue as a snippet on the bottom of the maps page. Most wikia's mention bugs as a trivia sort of thing.

Might as well pitch in.

It's free to play but free of players.

Reminder to practice your jumps and item timing.
Also try not to fall into a pattern. Makes you easier to hit and combo to death

Can this or something similar and command line be done for the servers that disappear (usually chicago hub), too? I tried to save it as an alias but can't get it to persist after restarting.

You probably need to declare your alias in an autoexec.cfg so its set each time you launch the game. My guess on Chicago Hub disappearing is because once there's 2 players in game, its considered full and the server browser isn't typically checked to display full servers.

You only need a few people playing to fully enjoy the game.

Testing. Can I post?