Let's talk about the greatest display for gaming, CRT! Perfect blacks, beautiful scanlines, no input lag...

Let's talk about the greatest display for gaming, CRT! Perfect blacks, beautiful scanlines, no input lag, and a beautiful, organic and natural image with rich color.

LCD shills are welcome, but you must justify why you spent over a decade getting fonts to look right by emulating the qualities of CRT, why you still have input lag, why you think weight is a legitimate argument because I doubt you're moving your display every day you noodle armed baby

What have you been playing on your glorious CRTs? Been watching anything that really shines on the standard? Pick up any new sets?

Other urls found in this thread:

ceu-inc.com/intergr_6d.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

crt is bad for your eyes

Sage

Staring at any screen is bad for your eyes silly, make sure to get at least an hour of sun every day and drink plenty of water. Still, if you're going to be using a set, might as well go for the best for your hobbies, right?

I bet you emulate scanlines on LCDs too faggot

niggers you should appreciate CRTs more

emulators still can't do scanlines correctly, they merely overlay a series of lines over the rendered image, they don't render the image to be accurate to how CRTs show the images being sent to it. CRT sets, especially high end ones, do much better justice to the qualities of low resolution games. Do you play 480i and 480p games on a 1080p LCD? How sad!

Yeah. And also the moment you scroll the "scan lines" disappear. Also lcd monitors update the screen in a way that it looks really jerky when the game does any scrolling

None of the supposed benefits of a CRT are enough to make my use one. The truth is that scan lines are ugly and the input lag isn't significant enough to be perceivable by humans.

Nope. You can't.

this has to do with vertical sync, another set of baggage from the shift to LCD. Screen tearing doesn't exist on CRTs. Another major issue is, even when scaled correctly and with a minimal amount of processing - especially noticeable in lower res games like NES titles with their clean, clear colors whenever the screen scrolls the entire image is blurred, and it looks horrendous.

I think this is only because you're oblivious to the benefits of CRT! I'd never say ditch them entirely, new consoles output entirely digitally, and two of three 7th gen consoles have far better digital out, while you still have the massive burden of input lag, digital input does minimize this as the image processing is mostly done on the console, and a natively supported image sent to the TV, as opposed to anything out of spec - if it's even supported - being scaled and processed by the TV. Very undesirable.

I unfortunately do not have a CRT available, but I have been attempting to set up a filter on RetroArch to see if the scanline look really does make games look better, and so far I believe it does. I didn't realize what I was missing out on.

My filter setup is far from perfect, and I would not be surprised if it's actually total shit, but I've grown to like it.

If there are ways to improve it, I'd like to hear them

definitely an improvement, gives the image a stronger sense of definition and hides the flaws of the low resolution. Still, would look best on a proper CRT at its intended resolution.

I suppose that's true. There's only so much I can do with my monitor (which at the very least is so old it's not even widescreen, even if it's still an LCD).

In the unlikely event I dig up an older gaming system I'll at least go find an old CRT in the garage, if nothing else. I have a SNES somewhere, but for the longest time I have not found it.

I had considered throwing extra things into my filter like bloom and the like, but my plan was a global scanline filter that could work for most systems, and the more complicated things started giving me slowdown problems when I tried to play things like the N64 or Dreamcast. Though to be fair this was a prebuilt budget PC given to me as a Christmas gift, and is not quite up to spec.

Here's Sonic Adventure on the filter as it is, for reference, and thank you very much for the input. I'm happy I managed to accomplish this much with just a mere LCD.

Posting in a dank meme thread.

it's definitely an improvement, a step in the right direction but aspects like how CRT's glow (the bloom effect), the way the glass contours and how it ends up presenting the image are very essential to the qualities of the games. If you can, get a cheap professional monitor (I got 9" Panasonic with component in, just for the fun of it) and even it looks better than my $350 LCD TV. Generally, low resolution, 6th gen and older systems (and wii) look far better on CRTs.

I don't understand, why does MMZ look like shit on your screenshot?
I've been playing pic related and it looks absolutely nothing like it does in your screenshot.
Is it just resolution or did you mess with some filters or something?

>someone else tosses it out stating how it wastes electricity

who was this someone else?

Are you special?

the gameboy player no longer exists

I really miss low resolution things not looking like smeared potato shit.

Mom
I'm a college student that pays rent
the funny thing is that my shitty LCD has a wattage higher by 20, and she happens to be the type of person who leaves the heat on while the doors are open
I even pointed this out and she then said you have no space, I did have some, so she said it makes too much noise, we're a floor apart I stated. Toss it out or I'll destroy it when you're at work or college she said. As is I had no proof I bought it and all
So I pretended to bring it to a dump and hit it in an obscure area

Everything up to 480p on my CRTs look amazing, you may want to look into one for yourself. I want to get a 720p crt in the future, not much interest in 1080i, but if it comes with the package why turn it down I suppose.

That's a good idea, been mostly playing older stuff more and more these days.

I'm emulating the GBA version of Zero 1 on RetroArch in that image, not the DS collection. I have not played the games on DS and thus I do not know if they were enhanced or changed at all, but perhaps that is why it looks different.

The one without the scanlines is allegedly how the game looks raw without any enhancement (unless I have a setting on I've forgotten about) while the scanline one is my filter. As for the resolution, I do not know. I think that was the default setting I was given.

I'm very new at this, I'm sorry

unfortunately I'm as special as they come
help me

Anti CRT fags need to fuck off. We can't have good discussion any more. You got all these edgy teenagers who have never touched a console older than the Xbox 360 shitting these threads up and calling everyone who enjoys their hobby "hipsters." I miss when we got to talk about rad technical stuff instead of arguing with ignorant kids.

/vr/ has been getting a lot faster recently since they got a new Admin. Maybe we can start having decent threads over there again.

Fuck off, hipster, go pretend your old shit in any way looks better than an LCD.

you can talk about CRTs to me if you want

also I didn't know /vr/ got back on its feet, have you found anything nice there?

no, shaddap

your mom sounds like a real cunt, tbh.

Jesus Christ, how many normal size flat TVs draw less than 100W?

It does you fucking imbecile. Stop ruining good threads about shit you know NOTHING about. People go on about "muh scanlines" or some shit miss the point. Black levels, color depth, and latency aside the biggest reason to use a CRT is because there's not digital resolution scaling, and if you enjoy old games you don't want blocky garbage fucking trash.

I have a professional grade CRT monitor because I've done video editing and playing old computer games on it is night and fucking day when compared to the LCD next to it. Even my shit grade CRTs I've gotten for free are so much better for it mostly for the lack or resolution dependency, but colors and blacks are great too.

Some guy dumped a fuckload of MAME roms, and some other guy asked for help writing a book about CRPGs which he's made a fuckload of progress on.

baby you know they've been the biggest shills in tech for a long time

ooh, those dumps sound nice

is the book like a history on CRPGs or how to make them, or what?

It was something along the lines of a shitload of reviews for them. Kind of in a historical context.

you shouldn't have children user. don't want to risk spawning more of your mother do you?

hipster fag

Let's not

Jesus Christ I thought summer was over. Fuck off commie scum.

Not like I'll probably have any if I try, that control freak cunt raised me in such a way that I'm more or less socially inept. All to avoid become like other family members, though even if they were thieving drug dealing idiots in the long run they ended up stable with people to be around and ease of getting a job and holding it since they actually have charisma. Though I can blame a small amount of why my life turned to shit on genetics

sperg harder you tight jeans wearing queer

Stay buttmad commie

did you look at the picture you posted?

i'm on a similar boat. Both of my parents don't have a single friend, not a single person. We only ever got visited by family and i only ever saw them talk to family or their subordinates on their company. They are narcissistic as fuck, they genuinely believe they can never be wrong even though in practice they are always wrong because they assume they are right and just spell out the most insane bullshit without bothering to check if it makes sense.

Yeah. Are you telling me I didn't post a smug anime girl?

yea i am, you unfunny ironic beard having leftypol janitor

Hipsters not welcome

Stop projecting nigger. I'm a MAGA hat wearing gun owning fucking American from the south. Not everyone that works in the field is a dick-shoveling queer from California. If you're against a man making money off of a skill that employers find valuable and embracing capitalism then you need to get the fuck out of my country.

I use LCD since they are less likely to cause eye damage, but cannot deny that CRTs look better

Riddle me this. Do you see any threads that are started by "HAVE YOU DITCHED YOUR CRT YET? GO BUY AN LCD/LED SCREEN, LOOK AT THESE ADVANTAGES"? No? Well, there you have it, most people don't really care about what monitor they use as long as the output is 'good enough'. Meanwhile, I see a CRT thread at least once, usually antagonizing anyone who doesn't use one. What the fuck do you expect from such an OP, civil discussion?

at least once a week*

that's where you are heading though

video editing is a leisure activity for homosexuals, call me when you get an adult males job

OP never implied you should ditch your LCD. He started a thread for people that like CRTs. If you're here and you don't want to talk about CRTs then fucking blow me.

No, but the OP is still written in a way that facilitates shitposting. I'll leave you to it, I guess.

Isn't it written by a BR whos real name is Pepe?

Retard confirmed

Remember how cuckchan got cucked yet again not long ago? This is just another wave of shitty immigrants.

There's plenty of private contracters in my area.
Maybe YTPMVers but otherwise you don't know what you're talking about.
I was a framer for any years. If you wanna talk about a REAL man's job you're welcome to it.
Fucking Feelthebernfags that want 15 dollars an hour for working at McDonalds need to commit suicide. We need more working man's jobs like framing and factory jobs so we can stop sending clueless kids off to college to fuck up their lives

we call that a day off at the poison mine

I respect you for that but you're still a faggot.

i used to respect things when i was a fresh faced CRT using glory hole enthusiast…then i grew up, you will too one day, kiddo

Nah it seems to me like you became a degenerate.

its ok bby, gib kiss

RIP this thread.

Isn't the Phoenix Wright anime dog shit ?

yeah it's pretty bad, the Live action movie on the other hand is actually kinda good.

It's strictly okay. Pretty low production quality as a whole but I enjoyed it.

No thanks.

literally what the fuck are those?
i've never seen scanlines outside of shitty ZSNES filters.

it was a shit thread from the start

Isn't this how it should look?

looks dim and nasty

Well, the gba was pretty shitty.

they might be not as visible on a small tv due to how a TV works. CRT draws on screen line by line, shooting light at each row point by point. scanline is a spacing between two lines like that

technically, the scanlines are the visible lines of pixels on the screen, not just the funny CRT effect

Here's without color correction.
Most games look really over saturated.

what a cuck

lol

I dont have desk space for a CRT

My CRT now has some unbearable massive screen lines or some shit, it just swoops across the entire screen. It also makes an annoying high pitched sound that would probably make my ears bleed if I listen to it to an extended amount of time. What should I get to replace it?

i know that feel

They take up about the same desk-space as an LCD unless you push your shit all the way to the back where you can't read it.

You're a fucking faggot, to be honest.
Someone trolls you a little bit and you go on a multiple post spergout about how you're the most 'murrican 'merican ever shitting up the thread for no reason.

You're a reverse triggered tumblrina and i'm glad you'll die alone and unloved electrocuted when you finally try to fuck your CRT.

Nah fuck you

My favorite part of these threads is the endless stream of salty sagecucks.

Your mom's a bitch

Jesus, if anything LCDfags are hipsters because they figure

I'm trying to set up a separate spot for my SNES/NES/PS1/N64. I decided I'm just going to get a new entertainment center and scoot my current one over so I can put it there. What is a good, quality CRT? I want something that isn't too expensive, but is of a good quality. I don't want to have to replace it for a long time and I want it to have a great display. Got any recommendations?

Fuck off, cuck
Sage on all fields
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/reddit/
>>>Holla Forums

I'd love to try a Sony Trinitron WEGA 1080i CRT TV or something similar but they're not that easy to get.

If I could get a CRT from a local thrift store or something, I probably would. But the only displays they have these days are shitty TN LCDs. If I want a quality CRT I'm going to have to drop $200-300 on eBay to have one shipped. I'm not opposed to that, but there are plenty of better things I could do with $300 instead of attempting to recapture my childhood.

;_;

Let's talk about the greatest display for gaming, CRT! Perfect blacks, hideous scanlines, no input lag, and absolutely no gamma so anything that should be slightly dim is just pitch black instead. Good luck walking through slight shade with a CRT!

There is no perfect setup, unfortunately.

I wish we had OLED that didn't get rot.

Quantum Dot nigga.

What are some good places to look for CRTs? Anything I should know beforehand, or does pic related cover everything I need to know?

Yup. It's hipster as fuck to actually WANT to spend money to use on outdated, obsolete hardware that is inferior in every way to modern hardware.

Yard sales, swap meets, goodwill, trash pick-up days in suburban neighborhoods, dumpsters, craigslist and the free stuff groups on facebook.

Pawn shops used to be good but they won't buy CRTs anymore due to their age. Basically anywhere that isn't a gaming shop/place where people in the know are selling them. You're going to pay through the nose for one if you look in those places. Your goal should be snatching one up before someone that knows what it is gets a hold of it.

More often then not people will be happy to see you haul the thing away and will give it to you for free.

There is always a lag, I'm merely curious as to how big this is on a CRT monitor VS modern monitor.
I highly doubt its enough to help me win fights in a multiplayer game.

Goodwill is a wonderful place, especially if you have one near a university or something. You can get super cheap shit there. I picked up a few office desktop computers for $10 each the other day. Just had to put an HDD in them since the school destroys them before giving away the computers, which I already had lying around.

Why even live user? My floor model is going to out last every LCD/LED monitor that you own. Do you think we pay ridiculous money for these old monitors? Most of us already owned them or get them for free.

Modern games are designed with input lag in mind. Older games are not. There is considerably less lag even when playing a modern game.

A modern 144hz top of the line monitor has more lag than a cheap CRT from the 1980s. If you want to test it yourself just play a rhythm game and compare.

As for multiplayer: it is a small advantage and it will depend on the game. But often times yes it does help you gain an advantage over the other players, especially if the game was designed with CRT in mind. It isn't the main reason for owning one though. The main reason is playing games on the original hardware with the device it was intended to be used with.

One of the main things I used mine for is the Dreamcast. I have VGA output (480p) and I've alternated between a low-lag LCD with native VGA-input and a 21-inch early 2000s CRT. The HDTV is pretty good, the CRT is better. I only hook it up to the HDTV for company and playing casual games. If we're going to be playing fighting games everyone requests the CRT.

there's a few 200+hz crt's out there. 144hz is nice but the benefit is mostly in how smooth it looks, still has miliseconds of input lag.

if you aren't going professional (which really is worth the price so long as you have a set up that accommodates it), avoid flat screen CRTs, these most always have digital processing, but try to find a CRT with component video support. Otherwise go professional. Everything professional is like its own kind of monster compared to consumer CRTs.

Does anyone know the source for the song in that webm?

Yes.

Mind telling me? I've been looking for the source on it since it was first posted on a webm thread

Holy shit you are a fucking god user, thank you so much

I own that model & I keep putting off buying the bracket I need to turn the control panel into a stand like that.

Does anyone know where I can get one? From the Phonedork video he says it's a BKM34-H.

A quick google search says it exists, but I can't find anyone online selling the damn thing. I think it's ridiculous that the control unit is chained to the back of the monitor, but I'm sure there's some technical reason for it.

Had a Sony CPD-G400 from 2001 thru 2008. It kicked ass! Heavy mofo though, and you needed a giant desk for it to fit on.

That said, after upgrading to a 24" BenQ LCD, I didn't miss it one bit, and I was a fairly heavy gamer on both monitors.

You see that grid of black pixels underneath sonic? It's supposed to look semi-transparent instead of a grid of pixels. This happens on the original sega genisis because of the video cables that were used, I'm not sure but I think they were called "S-Video" cables?

Retroarch should have an appropriate filter to emulate the look that s-video cables gave.

As for the GBA, I know that some games released before the GBA had a backlight can have extremely over saturated colors. VBA-M has a "real colors" mode to make it look more like the developers intended.

Emulators typically add a billinear filter for when you're playing resolutions that aren't 1:1 or 1:2 etc. It makes the game look blurry.

Since your max res is 240p, focus on screen size and inputs. I want a 30"+ EDTV (480p) with component input and no digital processing. Of course we all want the professional grails, but that takes luck or fat stacks.

Maybe I'm the retard here, but I've always referred to things like the waterfall & those black pixels you've pointed out as dithering effects. You would place pixels with spaces between lines or blocks in close proximity to each other, & the composite signal would blend them together for a solid image.

Once you use a sharper video cable like S-Video or RGB you lose that due to how sharp the image is. I'm not sure why they used dithering at all to be honest with you. Wouldn't it have looked better to just DRAW the entire image they wanted? Maybe it was a ROM space saving technique or something.

It does get used to make a face transparency effect sometimes though, but the trade off is a blurry image on everything else. I would take SHARP RGB over sega genesis games with dithering effects anyday.

God damn you are so booty blasted. I feel your butthurt radiating from the screen.

At least you got to play your CRT for a bit. Hunting down CRTs here is hell.

Kill all shitskins.

It's so much worse than you know. Chicago is basically mexico & any white people you meet are either jews or liberals. Literally ZERO retro games out here due to mexicans buying them all up.

PPSSPP has one of the better CRT filters I've seen, but confusingly they have three included. "CRT scanlines" is great, and even emulates the lines rolling up the screen and changing brightness every couple of seconds, but "Scanlines (CRT)" is static lines with a heavy yellow filter over everything. There's also "Simple scanlines" which is okay and less intense if the first one is too much.

Because dithering + composite video's blurriness was a way to fake more colors than the hardware could do by itself, as well as a way to fake a translucent layer.

I was wondering if anyone can help me get my Sony PVM 2530 looking great.

I've already opened it up and messed with the pots on the side PCB.
I can't seem to get the top of the screen to line up right. (Look closely at first pic)
The sides are a little off, but not much.

Any idea which pots will help me get it right?
It sucks because I can't adjust the picture while looking at the screen. So I have to adjust, glance at the screen, then back to adjusting.

Have you tried the 240p test suite? That might make things a little easier to test.

I want illegal beaners and anchor babies to leave.

OP, what is Samurai Shodown running on? Is that the insides of an arcade machine?

that is correct.

I think CRTs are neat.

fuck

I just use fiters :^)

really now, it looks fine on a IPS panel with proper color adjustments

if I could get a good, large CRT screen for a bargain price I'd use it for emulation but it doesn't seem worth the hassle

If it has swappable expansion board slots consider going for it. It'll at least have better y/c than anything consumer, and you'll be able to swap the board out in the future once you find what you need.

I've only been able to fins 2 instances of that input card even being sold second hand. One was a year ago for $150, and there's one on ebay right now for $250. I could ebay a 15-20" P/BVM for that cost.

Remove yourself from the air we as a species breathe.

It's simple then; go live in Montana.

Lol no thanks.
Anyone got any experience with getting CRTs from old arcades? I know a guy who knows a guy, but I don't know if those would be a pain or even worth it.

Well. That was easy. I'll look into that color fix thing for GBA, then. Thanks, user.

Why would you even use such an old, blurry and slow monitor anyways? They make this awful ringing sound that gives people headaches, take up too much space, and are harder to clean up when you break them because of all the toxic chemicals leaking out.
I have personally assisted several people in replacing their old monitors and televisions with new LCD displays and would gladly do it again just to piss off you fucking moron nigglet hipsters who don't understand why daddy replaced his old television for a sharper display.

I love CRTs.
Though I can't afford the electricity to operate it anymore.

When did this "CRT is irredeemable shit" meme start being a thing?

As soon as there started being CRT threads.

Since everyone realized CRTs were blurry shit and dumped them for newer flatscreens that were sharp as fuck. CRTs being good is a meme perpetuated by hipsters and dumpster-diving poorfags, same shit as the cassette collecting audience and linuxfags.

Since flatscreens were invented.

I'd rather keep my eyes.

Early LCDs had huge pixels and text had to blurred artificially to make it readable.
Only recent 4K displays are comparable to CRTs resolution-wise.
colors and input lag: entirely different story.

Very few people, I can hear it but I like the hum.

I'm sorry you're a poorfag that has to live in an apartment/closet at your mothers house.

They break less often than a flatscreen, at least they are possible to fix with common parts. Also stop begin a bitch, the main hazard from working on a CRT is a capacitor holding a charge. The "toxic materials" you're talking about are INSIDE THE TUBE which you'd have to break open to release, even then you'd have to be a dumb ass to actually get the stuff on yourself.

Keep doing it so I can get those CRTs for free user.

Vid Related is CRT Haters

I fucking my PC CRT Monitor. Still looking for a good PVM

Even a 1080p CRT is inherently fuzzier than a 1080p flatscreen, and their depth and weight increase exponentially as screen size goes up. A good projector is the patrician choice and you know it.

You know that 1200p CRT is 1990 tech and 1440p CRTs exist since decades?
When the first low-res TFT LCDs appeared, people confused the still visible screen door effect with "sharpness". It took a while until LCD pixels were small enough.

Projectors can be CRT or LCD based too.

If scanlines and fuzzy visuals are so great then why don't newer monitors have them?

Scanlines are shit. Doublescan ftw!

Movies are the only things that run at sub-native resolution these days, everything else that's run natively or emulated is crystal clear on an average LCD while CRTniggers parade around high-end, studio-oriented equipment that only begin to approach flatscreens in resolution.

They aren't, the reason why they're desirable as in a CRT is because a lot of older games rely on them

That's only needed in NTSC countries.
Europeans simply get a quality PAL set with RGB input and are good to go.

Actually, staring at LCDs is not bad for your eyes.
Staring at CRTs is because it literally has electron guns pointed at you.

Not always the case, especially when the new technology is paired with an older technology. You'd know this if you actually played older games instead of shitposting in this thread about things you don't understand.

You're right user I forgot that I haven't been using emulators since the early 90s. The filters are shit compared to the real thing, you'd know if you owned the real thing. I own the real thing because I bought it 20+ years ago and maintained it.

Next you'll be telling me to ditch the pocket watch and grandfather clocks that I own because "LOL it doesn't even have a touch screen or apps".

You're either a troll or an idiot, but probably both.

There is a tremendous difference from professtional displays to consumer ones. PAL standards may have made it easy to have access to rgb, but everything fron the phosphors to the aperture and geometry are significantly greater on professional sets compared to any consumer set. Plus the baggage associated with PAL makes it very unappealing to anyone playing games.

How can one man be so based?

Yeah, fuck refrigerators.

Still not sure why CRT threads attract so many shitposters.

I think people feel threatened that people are happy with free tvs & monitors when they sometimes spend $1000 on their setups.

I think it's more like the mods don't give a shit and idiots are trying to do some baby tier trolling. Just strange there's so much of it.

Anyone shit talking CRT is clearly not a light gun fan, and is therefore not my nigger.

That's actually what I'm running in the 2 pics.
It helps a lot, but like I said, I need some guidance on what pots to focus on.

Every time I mess with one, I end up making something else worse.

Feels good, man

you ever travel with the 9"?

I used to take a 13" composite/monoAudio on road trips.

are we bumplock?

That would be a lot of fun, it's got a convenient carrying handle right in the center too. That and it's got component-in.

it shouldn't have been, my apologies.

sorry for capcode, but I want to test something

Test your ability to make portals.

has someone ever tried that and lived?

Waste of time, all it does is corrode the pennies into a green color.

It seems like one of those scary hidden chemical reaction pics but literally all it does is waste your pocket change.

The change isn't wasted if it's spent doing funky shit in your house, is it?

This was to compensate for the shitty screens these games were developed for.

Will youmu also appear first like in the picture? If so I may consider it.

why does it matter unless you're moving it every other day

what

Never used a trinitron?

he probably knows the difference between empty lines and scanlines, or doesn't know anything at all

i noticed about 1-2 years ago, not even in 4ch Holla Forums did this happen, i only started to witness it when we had already moved

I killed too desks with heavy CRTs. They were not moving at all.

Nice dubs.

It's simply younger folks trickling in that didn't grow up with CRTs. They think emulation of those old systems is perfect or better because they haven't played on those systems or haven't played with them connected to older monitors. I see people asking about VGA boxes for the Dreamcast constantly and nearly all of them ask about HDMI converters to go with it. They'll spend more money on all that bullshit to hook it up to a pleb level LCD instead of just playing it as intended.

I do understand if you just want one chilling in the family room but if you're going that route why not get a TV with a proper VGA-input instead of relying on a scan converter. Low lag sets with multiple inputs can be had for cheap now.

Was your desk made out of cardboard?

Veneer plywood doesn't support 50+ kg (two 22" CRTs) either.

So it was made out of cardboard. Do yourself a favor and get something built out of real wood or metal. I prefer metal desks myself, as long as they aren't paper thin. I picked up my current one from a place that was going out of business, it's probably older than I am.

That's pretty expensive. I did got the LCD route instead.
Nope, not going to happen in my living room.

It isn't as bad at you think user I see nice desks given away all of the time. Or you can get reclaimed wood and build something yourself.

There is something to be said about buying cheaper too, in the long run replacing those particleboard desks will eventually add up and cost you more than just buying a nice one to start with.

I can understand not wanting one there but in the workshop they're the best thing ever.

I have one of these and am wondering if there is a bad CRT, if this is one and if the worst CRT is still a good enough display or should I not bother taking it out?

Question for the CRT Master Race

1.You think a Panasonic CRT 29" TV would work well enough? CRT monitors like NEC or Sony in good sizes are way too expensive in my country.

2.Do you think a Vita TV would look better on a CRT? Is it possible to do it without cutting the image too much? I know the thing have a way to adjust the size, but I would need a HDMI to Component box, and that is where I think it could be a problem.

3.What are good Component "HUBs"? I mean, I got some of those small cheap boxes that let you plug three RCA to use mi Wii, Xbox and PS2 on my receiver. One box for sound another for the component cables. It works well, but I think it could be better.

Thanks Mark. Your Dave and Buster's has Time Crisis 5 and Jurassic Park theater shooter. 1/2 price on Wednesday, but go early before the Jewish school kids swarm the place.

What do?
Dualboot? VM? Get older emulators?

Many CRTs past 24" start to have poorer geometry, but a 29" Panasonic will be fine. Keep an eye out for a set with component video.

It is not worth playing Vita games on a CRT without the equivalent line count, so at least a 720p crt would be optimal. Still, The Vita display is great and works well for its intended purpose.

RCA Component, you mean? It's a very simple standard that doesn't need any advanced wiring or anything of the sort. You can get a cheap monoprice one or something and call it a day. Unless the splitter you're using has a noticeable downgrade in quality, it probably won't be a problem.

this is a problem with emulators that irritates me too. It seems the developers have no idea how 240p video works and they always fail to recreate it, as such even the core's in retroarch stupidly don't support 240p.

My suggestion is get original hardware or start learning to live with it.

It does have component video, that's why I wanted to use it.

When I was talking about the Vita, it was the Vita Tv. I found the colors on LCD to be kind of bad if compared to the original OLED screen. But that's OK, I guess.

What's a good, cheap flatscreen CRT I could buy? One that looks like that last image in the OP post rather than an old PC monitor?

Preferably one with SCART

I used to have one of these long hot-dog like CRTs, smashed its screen with a boulder out of boredom.

I believe that's very rare outside of Europe.

Lmao what is that even.

Thats a sony bvm, probably 24 inches with support up to 1080i. They sell for about 1000-2000 usd these days and are some of the biggest crts, bigger than any pc crt

They're so damn cheap while still looking pretty good, that you can throw them away at the next move, because it would be more expensive to move that shit across the country. It's just that they don't support the weight of large CRTs at all, which was only a temporary problem: large computer CRTs entering homes and be gone again happened within a decade.

There are loads of really bad CRTs which made people ran away to LCDs the first time they could afford them.

I works by using 480i and outputting only one interlacing field of the two.

Emulators do a 480i image, not a correct 240p one.

Isn't 240p 480i with a blank field?

It is.

Scanline Sonic looks worse
Scanline Megaman Zero looks better

240p relies on 480i output, and the hardware that outputs to 240p is designed in such a way that it uses only every other line of resolution which creates that black scanline effect. Crts don't process the image and shoot out what is sent to them as is with no questions asked. LCDs with their digital processing get the image, don't know what to make of all the missing lines and fill in the inbetween spaces by estimating what is supposed to be there.

Emulators do not render the 240p image, as the developers do not take into account that this is how the systems are supposed to look.

This is what I do with CRTs

I don't understand how people can actually like scanlines.
You get even scan lines when feeding 640x480p60 into HD VGA CRTs and it looks awful as it just reduces the brightness.
Also most PC VGA games run at 320x200p70 but avoid scanlines on smaller monitors by doublescanning ("upscaling") at 400p70 instead.

CRT was great, still can be great, but you people have turned it into a fucking meme with your overpriced PVM or whatever bullshit

it's nostalgia, or actually buying into the nostalgia of the generation that came before you
think of the people that masturbate over vinyl while not having grown up with it
vinyl is objectively shit

I have no nostalgia, I just have my original hardware still here and it's still fun to use…

but scanlines arise from CRT technology
they are not an inherent quality of older games

I didn't say otherwise. I don't really have opinion on scanlines or even the quality of CRT. I have old computer that connects either to TV or to special expensive monitor, I'll of course use the TV (that I owned anyway)

They are a technical limitation of large CRTs unable to properly upscale low resolutions.
They don't appear on small CRTs.
Who had a NES connected to a 24"-32" CRT in 1985? More like 14" if you ask me.

I don't know how big mine is

But I don't see "lines", more like dots between individual pixels

Take an inch scale and measure the diagonal.

I don't have one, but I guess it's 17 or 19. Anyway, I made up close pics and I can see the lines now, but when I look at the TV from my chair they're not really noticeable.

Posting mine

I see it on NES games on my 14" CRT.

the lines do have a noticeable effect on the final image from just about any recognizable difference. It gives a sense of darkness and contrast to the entire image.

In general, scanlines appear at 600 TV Lines, so you must have a 14 inch PVM then right?

Any 23 inch sony BVM or PVM would be fine. They cost anywhere from $300-$1500 depending on how many lines they are & what size they are.

Most of us did. I played sonic the hedgehog 2 almost exclusively in RF.

hipsters!

(you)

What if I don't like shitty scan lines

Then this is not the topic for you.

Only hipsters spend $1500 on a used CRT to play 240p console games on them.

and only autists upgrade a PC for $500-800 every 3 or so years they just play doom and browse Holla Forums on.

yes, it's a bvm d14h5u.

didn't even get composite until the n64, so I know the pain, but it is always darkest before the dawn. Discovering RGB has given my love for these systems a new life.

I could see how the investment may seem extreme to some, but realistically dropping $300-400ish on a 20inch or so set will be more than enough for anyone with an interest in this stuff. Of course, if this is a lot for you at any point please get your financial situation sorted out because I think you have more pressing matters than a high quality CRT for classic games.

Then your opinion is discarded. A BVM is supposed to show scanlines, because it was deliberately made for the purpose of unmasking shitty 240p video signals banned by the FTC for broadcast.
Calling a CRT an "investment" is exactly what makes you a hipster.
Any sane person with interest in this stuff gets $20 CRT from someone's attic.

sorry you're poor, but I can happily afford these things. Hopefully some day you can get a chance to experience a professional display, the difference in quality is amazing, and having RGB/yipper options available to you is great. Hipster is such a buzzword. Sorry you have trouble affording these things.

You know what you're talking about. These are for people who want to get the most out of their old videogames, not for people casually playing super mario bros. & earthbound.

If dropping $300-$500 for a top of the line tube TV is going to kill you then you probably shouldn't be into old games unless you're emulating. These are the same people who won't drop $200 for a Flash Cartridge to have every sega genesis game ever released on a single cartridge because they could just emulate it.

You know there's like 300 of that specific 1000 line BVM in existence right? Let alone in working condition. I think there's a 32 inch one too, but I've never seen one in person.

Realistically, if you buy a BVM it's going to last the rest of your life. These things were built like tanks & built to last.

Fucking wrecked.

tbh I mostly got into it to get my sega saturn fix. emulation wouldn't cut it, kind of a joke to be playing virtua cop without a light gun. I'm flexible enough to have the money to put down or put some aside to save, I have a few sets now because I saw some for some great prices. So now I'll probably be set for life considering I only clock in a few hours a week on these things.

Still want to get a 20-24" one, hopefully one that does 720p.

Hipster confirmed.

CRT autism is beyond my comprehension.

you need new material

So to be clear, they are slowly going up in price. Buying one to flip later might not be a good idea, but they're not getting any cheaper since they're not being made anymore.

I'm talking about the sony PVM & BVM line. Nobody wants that chinese shit.

The saturn was notoriously horrible to design games for. I'm not surprised emulating is bad.

This is how you sound. Supply & demand my friend.

I actually like and own multiple CRTs, but shifting old VMs like treasures is pure cancer on par with people paying $9000 for an oxygen-free audio cable.

PVMeme's are tiny, expensive, require custom cabling and in some cases modded consoles. And in the end the picture quality isn't as good as a consumer SDTV with RGB/Component inputs.

All 2d games look good on CRT's or with scanlines.

Too much input lag

Haha fuck me, you cunts are hilarious :)

That's probably coz you're 12, or you've never seen a CRT running in RGB before. Or both.

Weak excuse.

Any of the big Japanese brands with good inputs are fine. If you're playing 240p content do not get a HD CRT coz they look like shit and also have lots of input lag. Get a set with a remote so you can access the service mode because you will need to adjust the geometry settings.

lol

CBF reading the rest of the thread.

I don't think you've ever used a professional monitor of any kind if you think they aren't leaps and bounds better than consumer sets. In America the options for rgb are limited pretty much entirely to these sets. Console modding is no issue amd the rgb cables are easy to make and are also made and sold on ebay.

Rgb will look good if you have it, but on a professional set it is tremendous.

Also, there are crts that do up to 1080i with no digital processing. I don't think you are familiar enough with these displays if you don't know this

What is a VGA CRT?

i threw 3 CRT monitors in the trash last year

A crt with vga, not a professional set necessarily

Are you a nigger, I'm honestly wondering

Fucking Jew

You understand that professional VGA CRTs exist in millions?
You know that 1200p/1440p VGA CRTs exist?

Once again, they are very different conpared to video production monitors.

So where is difference, explain!

Khz, shadow mask, aperture grille and quality of phosphor

This is what you vinyl hipsters really believe.

They are pretty special, I've got a few different sets but nothing is as sharp as my BVMs. Never had any of my old PC monitors compare either.

Your old PC monitors are shit. You never ever owned a professional VGA CRT.

You've clearly never had your crispy frame perfect wavedashes messed up by input lag.

I used to own LaCie electron blue's, I think they were 22" 2048p monitors.

How do you get VGA Video + Light Gun on Dreamcast?

I want this scanline meme to end.

Let me just say while yes I do prefer a LCD tv over CRT. Some of my greatest gaming memories were on CRT tv's. My family had this fuck off giant wooden finish crt tv back in like 2000 and something. More like 99-2000. It was at least 25-30 inches. And I believe it was a sony tv. I played DK 64 to hell and back on that tv. Sadly it would fuck up here and there. But nice thing about crt's is they are delicate as fuck like LCD's are. A good slap on the side and it worked for the rest of the day.

By getting a CRT Monitor, the ports doesn't matter.

You should do some more research before you go spread misinformation like that.

It was pretty funny where he denounced P/BVM's and went on to say 720p CRTs aren't good.

I think only playstation consoles used the composite pass-thru for light gun games.

So Dreamcast light gun just uses a controller port?

yes. I don't even know if an official one was released in america, I think madcatz just distributed the ones sega made in japan.

played with my BVM and figured out how to switch from 16:9 to 4:3 with the press of a button. Booted up some SNES games and they're looking gorgeous! I feel like the emulation isn't capturing the effect perfectly, so I play use an overlay filter but the pictures do not do it total justice.

Just dropped a glass of water over my CRT and it fried.

Looks like it's time to get a new one.
I have this weird idea that 50hz means playing games at 50fps so i've been avoiding SCART tv's for a while.

Anyone knows if Scart tvs work with 15khz video @60hz content? Something i can output from a modded ATI card?

Uh..
You mean it took people a decade to figure out how to do it, not me personally? If that's the case, the weight of the time it took people to perfect CRT technology goes to you too. Terrible argument.
If you mean it took me a decade to get fonts right, that's a blatant lie. All it takes is installing infinality on Linux. One minute.

Black lines on my display is suddenly a beautiful thing? I'll accept it makes games that were made around this characteristic look better because, well, they were made around that characteristic, but outside of that they're just in the way.

I am if I want to watch stuff from my couch and then I want to use the computer with the keyboard and mouse. Either way, a big ass monitor is objectively less practical to have over a smaller, flat one, even if you live in a big house.

Isn't that almost non existent nowadays?

Either way, damaging control your thread preemptively is retarded. If people give you shit then respond if you want. If nobody said anything, don't be preemptively butthurt.

the black lines aren't the scanlines, and all LCD displays have input lag. CRTs have none.

There are PAL TVs with SCART which accept both 50 and 60 Hz input. Note, this is not NTSC, but PAL60 instead, a 480i mode with a superior PAL color signal.
Also very few PAL games support 480p PAL60 over RGB SCART, which is basically the best SD output you can get.

i suppose i'll just search for a normal PVM or BVM to be safe

What other options that admit direct RGB are out there? it seems like Sony models are the only ones or at least the ones that don't cost an arm, even then their price is still quite high in my second class country

Oh god, not one frame of lag! FUCK ME SON HOW WILL I EVER PLAY VIDYA!?

ikegami, panasonic, sharp, jvc all have professional monitors. I really like ikegami sets, and there's a few 14" ones on ebay for good prices.

You measure LCD lag in miliseconds, on CRTs you measure it in nanoseconds. Also screen tearing unless you add in v-sync which only introduces more lag. At least understand the technology here.

LCD screens update in a different way, every time you scroll horizontally in an old game you will get a nasty ugly effect where everything blends and smears, this is because the screen is updated as a whole frame, and old tv's did line by line, but yeah enjoy your shit tier display underages

I think the most disgusting thing is when you pan the screen left and right in a side scroller, LCD's shit the bed and send you a hideous, blurry mess. Absolutely ruins the game.

Neither of which the human mind is capable of perceiving. Lag isn't noticeable until it gets around 3-5 frames, and unless you have a shit LCD you're not gonna get that much even with a Framemeister added in.

Not a problem on all sets, again. It sounds like you're one of those people who bought a shit LCD once for no money and now you just assume all LCDs are shit.

no bully plz

What are they, then? Cars?

Did my reply seriously make you so mad you think I'm trolling?
I got (2) now, so I'm off that hook.

lol, sorry it matters in the games these displays excel at. I'm sure you settle with playing NES games on nestopia with a 360 pad too.

screentearing is also a problem inherent to all LCDs, only recently has there been a solution to the problem in the form of free sync/g-sync, both of which require new video cards and monitors. gsync is also a dead technology that vendors are desperate to get rid of stock now that nvidia has abandoned it in favor of freesync.

So you can't read? It really doesn't matter unless you have a shit LCD. I play NES on my RGB modded NES through a Framemeister on an LCD and I never experience any problems with input lag on even the most intense game. You have no fucking clue what you're talking about, it sounds to me like you're a hipster trying way too hard to justify using old tech.

time for a lesson

have you run the 240p test suite?

Of course, both through my Dreamcast and my Genesis. At most I'm getting 1-2 frames of lag, absolutely unnoticeable while playing.

A PAL60 set with RGB input should be fine, even for a NTSC console, as the technical difference in color encoding doesn't apply to RGB.

Alright, thanks.
My point still stands. Blank lines just get in the way when we're not talking about old games.

that's good for you. I don't knock the framemeister, and LCD technology has caught up recently (although TV sets seem to have a lot of lag still?)

I do hope you aren't taking the inflammatory shitposting so seriously, it's just meant to twist a few nipples and bait a few replies.

CRT still does everything better, however, and the results I get from my BVMs and Ikegami sets blows away anything I've seen any LCD, even the framemeister pull off. I don't really care if you find the difference negligible in the case of input lag, but I've noticed distinct improvements in how I play based on the display technology. That and I do play quite a few fighting games and LCD just is not good enough for it.

they aren't there unless you're playing 240p games, so…

What's the name of those sony CRTs in the OP?
I've never seen them where I'm from

Please, you play on an RGB modded NES and dare to call people hipsters?

those are the Sony PVM and Sony BVM line of professional monitors. Professional monitors are the top of the class CRTs and easily blow away the competition.

Old games, exactly

damn that shit must be good
Can't wait to have a good job, I'm gonna fill my flat up with this shit

FUUUUUUUUUCK I WANNA HAVE MONEY

My understanding is that they're studio monitors, hence why they're perfectly flat on all four sides. You stick 'em in the rack.

CRT does a lot well, in fact the biggest advantage I'd give it are from the PS1/N64/Saturn era of games where you'd get resolution changes which LCDs absolutely shit themselves over where as CRTs of all kind handle that shit fine usually. The one thing I do give LCDs though is image quality, I personally like seeing original hardware output clean scanline-less images that look better than emulation, also CRTs aren't as sharp. Still, you are right that to each their own, CRTs are a good simple solution to retro gaming and you can argue PVMs are the idea way given that is how a lot of games were developed, and of course CRTs are more nostalgic. Just try not to shitpost too much about LCDs, otherwise people who do genuinely think acting in such a way is good. LCDs can be a good solution for those who just happen to have good sets and are willing to drop on a framemeister (that said people who just hook in to their LCDs via composite are morons).

I think the main benefit LCDs have is with fixed pixel output. If you start fucking with resolution, like you said, things can be a mess. Dunno if you've ever seen Sonic 2's 480i split screen mode on an LCD, it's a fucking hideous mess.

Plus, LCD can't do light guns.

It's just a low resolution CRT. Nothing special.

Professional video monitors are pretty special m8

very special snowflakes

Speaking of monitor. What happened with pic related, are they rare and good?

No, they are not rare. CRTs are not rare.

I am not talking about CRT general. I am talking about specific CRT monitors. The InterView 28hd96 Color Monitor ceu-inc.com/intergr_6d.html

Carmack used one and it was one of the full HD CRT monitors for pc.

they are very expensive, and not many were made or sold back when they were in production.

Huge CRTs were expensive due to the CRT cartel which didn't go bust until LCDs drove them out of the market.

You're not using PAL over RGB, it's just RGB - there's no color encoding.

Just saw a 20" Ikegami monitor hit ebay, it has RGB in but it's local pick up only. Fortunately it's in my state so I asked him if I could arrange shipping options.