Promo art looks cool as fuck

every fuckin time, fuck you steam

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zBkVjZNbGtk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do you capitalize every letter of shmup? And shmups are great if you aren't a scrub.

Same thing happens with JRPGs

Only time that's ever a problem is when it's some shitty RPG Maker game and half of the game's budget was spent on the promo art and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN THE GAME LOOKS EVEN HALF THAT GOOD

Every
FUCKING
TIME!!!

To elaborate - I most cases shmups are RPG maker tier of copy pasted shit where all you need to do is to memorize levels/patterns, if you call that a "skill" then that's all there is to it.
It's almost a non-game genre, I fucking hate it.

So every single player game ever?

So promo art was good as fuck? at your standards anyway (weebfag)? And you bought a game based only on said promo material. On steam?
That's bullshit.

Hey user. Gay poopie doodoo?

In actual skill-intensive games enemies are designed to be unpredictable and to have variety of behavior patterns, so each time you fight them you can't follow the exact same order of actions.

He didn't say he bought the game you fucking turbo autist.

Did you know that even within SHMUPs there's an unofficial subgenre called 'memorizers' (R-Type, Metal Black, Border Down, I suppose Dodonpachi too)?
Seriously, quit being so ignorant about things you have barely actually tried. Learning the stage layout is an inevitable consequence of any game with high difficulty.

9/10 - you almost had me

Blue Revolver?

Are there shmups with randomized/not consistent enemy spawn places and shooting patterns?

I don't know about a SHMUP that does that all the time (otherwise you'd be looking at another one of those roguelikes), but many SHMUPs have subtle changes in enemy formation depending on your position, or are reliant on RNG in some way. Battle Garegga stage 6 is a good example of having to face the RNG, and Mecha Ritz automatically adapts the difficulty to your skill level/how much you try to score (this works better than it actually sounds)

So you guys are saying that some combination of RPGmaker games and cheap shootemups with misleading art and music would be the most terrible thing in the world for Holla Forums to endure…

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
DELET THIS!!!!
E
L
E
T
T
H
I
S
!
!
!

Precisely.

sure it's fun as fuck, but Sam's DLC is the only remotely difficult part of it

Every time. Great/unique art assets catch my eye, then I look at some gameplay and it's always some overdone, cheap to make genre that I fucking hate. Fucking jews just throw all of their budget into the art/models. I had to learn really fast that not everything with animu on the cover is going to be good.

This too. I ignored the whole Undermeme drama and just heard Save the World for the first time a few months ago on some random, totally unrelated video. I thought it was fucking fantastic, had to find out what amazing weebshit game possibly spawned it only to find that it was attached to that autism magnet. It doesn't deserve music even half that good.

look on the bright side, they are still games. unlike the western games with progressive ogre dyke "waifus" for male feminists that barely count as ones

Have you faggots ever browsed google store? All those pay2win mobshits with amazing art, that very few real games can rival? God fucking damn.

why is this character always doing this, that visual shorthand always bugs me

I had a similar situation with the last cyst that toby worked on, homosuck
someone showed me a song from the soundtrack, sounded like some ebig FF final battle or some shit.
And then I read the comic and the part of the story the song is for is never actually shown.

FUCKING

Still a lot of fun, even had more endings than most recent RPGs.

Most frequently what's randomized is the kind of weapons that appear, which means you'll end up approaching one situation a different way than before even if the enemy formation didn't change that much.

Some games also let you customize your ship in some way before the level even begins (Tyrian 2000 is a great example), or have multiple stage paths/objectives (some of the Star Fox games).

You could argue that this isn't enough and won't do anything for you, and that's fine. We all want different things out of a game. This is just one way variation can come out of a shmup.

shmups have cool art ingame though

Dunno if Jets'nGuns is even considered a shmup, since it's not done by japs, but it is an amazing game, nothing in fly-and-shoot genre can really compare to it.

the more I listened to undertale music when the game was relevant, the more I got the feeling it didn't all fit too well together. Lots of mixed up samples, and the way pretty much every song plays out is entirely predictable. At best it's a nice soundtrack, but at its worst it's a mess of mixed sample qualities and clashing sounds. Frankly there's far better game soundtracks, off the top of my head pretty much every Cotton game blows the fuck out of it.

tyrian 2000 is one of the worst shmups ever made

This is what I get for being fooled by cover art.

>you get on top, I'll teach you

well this is fucking illegible

Wow, like in every game ever.

Not in good games, no.

All games have patterns, it's about execution

If a toddler finds the best strategy within 5 minutes and can consistently execute it it's not a good game

lmao IRL fag

Well mentally deficient ppl are pretty good at shmups, so there's that.

prove it, you tasteless homo

Could be worse. It could look interesting and turn out to be a fighting game.

Even if you like the genre (I don't but even if), fighters are absolutely terrible for character development and storytelling. So if it's the characters and setting that get you interested you WILL be disappointed as ultimately they are nothing but excuses to have movesets and arenas.

What game are you talking about anyway?

shmups arent a bad genre… but once you've played one, youve sorta played them all. theres very little variation to the gameplay in the genre.

when will you cucked kiddies learn

So you have to memorize patterns? Like in almost every game ever made? Fucking blow your brains out my dude

Stay mad

Stay mad

A mystery, user.

Well, some visual novel developers have art that can rival the Mobage menace, but that just leads to a different problem.

At least then there's a good chance it's just a card collecting game a.k.a. a glorified art gallery, and for free that's not a super bad deal.

Though just looking up the images on gelbooru is a lot faster and easier.

Gelbooru's site is fucked right now.

it'll be back soon…

You mad about Blue Revolver, then? :3

What pattern is there for bosses like many of them in the original Dodonpachi, Crimson Clover, Mushihimesama, or Hellsinker? And even then knowing the pattern or how to stream bullets doesn't mean you'll win. If it was so easy then it would be a genre many are great at.

This.

I'm not really into bullet hell type shooters, more abstract ones like cotton appeal to me greatly, especially cotton 2 and boomerang. The core mechanic isn't your shot pattern or navigating waves of bullets, but the grab/punch mechanic, which drastically changes how you take on waves of enemies and masses of bullets. It's not a game about shooting and dodging, but a game about timing your punches, landing clean shots, building up tremendous combos and capitalizing on openings in a more traditional game sense. I'd strongly recommend cotton 2 to anyone new to shmups who think it's all just touhou, or something.

Holy shit, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Reaction images never get a reaction out of me, but something about this character fucking annoys me. Every pic of her has her look like a pouty bitch with the exact same expression.

remember dropping it somewhere before they added EVEN MORE chcracters

>Turbo

I missed that bait.
It was always a good one to use.

speaking as a composer, Undertale is a mess. He doesn't stick to any kind of 'standard' or limitation for the soundtrack, one song will be in 8bit, the next will be a fucking orchestra. He uses random samples a lot, like you said. and 2/3 of his songs are just leitmotifs of one another, which would be fine, even impactful for related moments, but he just uses them as filler instead of composing meaningful melodies. Perfect example is the Waterfall theme just being Ruins slowed down a bunch.

Some songs are great but ruined by patchy instrumentation. This is why Famitracker covers of the OST tend to be more pleasing than the soundtrack itself at times - it flows better and sounds more consistent.

Blow it out your ass, "composer". Post your shit or else fuck off.

Speaking as a composer, I think you're a bitch nigga. And your music sounds like shit.

all of those problems stem from one thing and one thing only, "composer"
pic REALLY related

Who is this faggot

toby fox's real identity

Not him/her, but vid related is how a undertale-esque music should be like.

Sorry I talked shit about your favorite game's music, but it's true. Toby is quite possibly the worst thing you can be: talented but extremely lazy. All of undertale's soundtrack is just 4-5 decent tunes repeated ad nauseum and shoehorned into every track until you hate them. There's a few brilliant tracks in there, but mostly it's lazy. worst part is, people ate the shit up. I should say that even the rehashes are smooth and easy to listen to, but that doesn't make them anything but uninspired filler. I have a theory that Toby might have been depressed when developing some of the OST, because the patterns reflect it: critically lacking in willpower and identity, polished and refined but weak and flimsy to start with, followed by occasional lucid flashes of complete fucking brilliance.

I'm also not home at the moment so I can't post any of my music. I've dropped it off in agdg threads every now and again, it's just VRC6 famitracker stuff.

im just memeing you nigger

Sure you did bub.

Applegreen you fucboi get off the dick.

gb2reddit with your momrock scum

t.cuckchanner

shooters with giant hitbox and healthbars are called euroshmups

Why? Have you ever played any european shmups like Katakis?

The only thing I know about Dodonpachi is that it has a really neat OST. What's the actual game like?

waiting for delivery

still not home but if you want to hear my shit that bad, you can have this. it's an old version but it's still decent

I'd appreciate any criticism [besides anything regarding the drums, they've been totally reworked since this was recorded so the feedback would be no use]

He fucking aped any game with a somewhat large internet fanbase he could find, from Yume Nikki, to Earthbound, to Touhou. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the entire soundtrack is made up of ripoffs of some really niche composer that no one has confirmed yet.

Oi! Don't bully Renge!

It's shit.

there's two points you could be talking about. Actually no, three. Just about all of them are valid.

You re shitposting about Rabi Ribi right?

7/10.

It's alright, solid melody, though it's very easy to avoid conflicts in instrument voicing in famitracker. Especially in terms of frequency.

Now I, personally use just one or two synths of the same type when I make my patches to do something similar, just to avoid headaches, especially when I'm working with harmonically complex samples.

I agree with you on Toby though. The songs used for his characters and such, have very strong motifs. But the songs themselves are rather forgettable, if not competently put together.

aren't his songs just covers? I remember faggots claiming he did youtube.com/watch?v=zBkVjZNbGtk and there is no link to the original
embed related: original song

Meh, forgettable.