Final Fantasy 11: Era Server edition

Now we had a private server called Comfinity before, but it shut down. So how about we meet up on Era and have adventures there?

Final Fantasy 11 is a comfy ass game that is wholly unlike World of Warcraft in that it's actually good, you actually have to rely on others on combat and in the economy and it has a bunch of classes that have their own questlines and methods for skill and power acquisition, from Blue Mages hunting down monsters to learn their skills, Summoners who need to defeat avatars to gain new summons, Rangers who rely on expensive gear to deal the best damage in the game overall, Beastmasters who hunt down legendary monsters to tame and make theirs, which includes FF classics.

Other classes are also not just relegated to DPS, Heal and Tank, although the most basic of them exist, there are also crazy classes like Corsairs, Ninjas and Scholars, who's point is that they're exceedingly adaptable and depending on how you play can fit into any category and more.

But if you want to specialize in one aspect, you can take a subjob to enhance your stats and you can take their abilities as well. So If you're a Paladin a good subjob would be Dark Knight, as you can take half of the exceedingly useful status abilties and their Tractor spell, which pulls enemies toward you, while also adding to your lower attack to round yourself out into a tough and strong fusion of the two.

The game doesn't handhold you, though in Era, you get 4x XP until you hit level 30, where you can reduce that XP to normal and gain a myriad of bonuses (along with access to special high end shops) in Mentor mode as a result.

So, pick your starting class and come on and join in!

Here's info to get you started.
ffera.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1943
Archive link in case it's blocked as well.
archive.is/xN3He

If you're curious, i'm a new Level 8 Hume White Mage named Artero, working up to Summoner. Please protect me from rabbits.

This is a sort of contination of the FF11 and FF14 thread we had earlier.

Other urls found in this thread:

myera.is/wiki/index.php?title=Mentor_Mode
nasomi.com/rules.php
github.com/DarkstarProject/darkstar
playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml
wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client
valhallaxi.x10.mx/home/doku.php?id=updating
wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client#Setting_up_the_Launcher
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Macro
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gourmet
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tiger's_Teeth
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/A_Potter's_Preference
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Seeing_Spots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do you tards always do this?

Level 75 cap with same 75 content, no bullshit from the 100 level official server where you overpower everything while also making certain classes fucking useless, like Dancer or even Ranger.

The server also has several features implemented that are unique to it, added custom NPCs that sell very rare drops (not gear, but items for crafting mostly) at high prices (so instead of grinding for 12 hours, you can instead gather 50,000 gil to buy that fucking rare ass cherry that you need)

Shortcut commands to warp to certain areas in your current zone (town only)

And an update to Mentor Mode that actually makes it worth playing, you can trade your EXP rate for 4x movement speed in cities, special shop access (which allows you to place buffs on your party before you enter dungeons, like Reraise that your class may not have access to, or to simply buy good gear)

Tl:dr look at list
myera.is/wiki/index.php?title=Mentor_Mode

my FFXI is fucking broken. I played on comfinity but now my ashita just crashes every time I start it up. Is there another alternative to ashita or am I fucked. Before you respond, I have all the shit updated and patched and everything is in place, so there's no problem with my installation at all. I followed the instructions and I checked my doubles to make sure it's right.

Alright a lot of this is wrong
1: never go PLD/DRK, terrible idea. You want to sub WAR or possibly NIN.
2: tractor pulls dead allies towards you, not enemies
3: the server is 4x xp and 3x xp loss (no xp loss before level 30) the entire time, not just till 30.
4: mentor mode is 1x xp and you must become a mentor at level 1 within 30 mins of making your character

Well ashita is a SHITa, so use Windower

huh?

What's the class you prefer to play as?

I picked White Mage because it's apparently the best support job for Summoner, which I really want to get into.

Any advice? Did I just fuck up? Because I've grinded enough to beat the shit out of rabbits.

official FFXI at the moment is casualized, and servers like this retain the not casual shit in it and omit the casual shit, while making updates to support that. There are a bunch of servers that keep the content at level 75 for this reason.

In that, it's not like FF11 as the official servers currently are at. It's like the old days and it has a pretty big userbase for a private server and it's well run, so it's perfect stomping grounds for players.

That and it has a system that caters to both casual and hardcore players. casuals get 4x XP and Mentors aka HARD FUCKING CORE 1x XP players get tons of bonuses including special shops, greatly increased speed in towns and an infinite chocobo whistle. the rest is in the list in the below post.

So, pick a character type and we can go adventuring.

You can also make both types of characters if you want to use one to help the other for whatever reason.

Does it have level sync?

No, I don't think.

It doesn't show up on the party menu.

And so is this shit pile.
That's casual or casual. Are you retarded?

Original ffxi had a ton of issues that needed tough fixes (balance and economy exploitability), but SE progessively made it worse. Private servers still struggle to get the original content working, let alone attempt fixing SE's mess. Unless a server has 1000+ players you'll never have the original feeling of community, nor you'll have a good game.

If you're talking 1000+ players, there is a server called Nasomi that claims to have around that amount of a userbase.

…IS the original content working in this?

Are the story quests there?
Do monsters behave properly?

I saw one p-server that gutted all the story quests because "No one wants to do that anyway", Story was one of the more fun things to do in FFXI.

With less people getting any sort of leveling done will be a pain, not to mention economy, but if it has the basic quest and progression there..

Yes, Yes, and yes.

All the shit is there up to the level 75 expansions where the content cuts off because that's the server shit. This is not one of those servers that carves out story content.

One hiccup I found is that there's no intro for new characters, but the content is very much there, cutscenes intact and all.

I just want to know if it has enough players. Especialyl since it's so player interaction based but also because I dont want to waste my time installing something I'll drop after launching it

How can I make my own private server? It's something I've wanted to do horribly for the past few years but never could. Just so I could chill out in Mhaura/selbina or at the knightwell and wander around in Vana'diel without worrying if some angry nip mod bans my character or server admin pulls the plug. Also I want to mess around with the AI and try and implement a full 2k person server that plays the game on its own like it were 2004.

Is the darkstar client public? I played on comfinity for a few days but I don't think that lasted.

All I know is that Windurst is empty aside from like one guy.

I want to suggest Nasomi since it seems to have more players, but they have this on their rule page
nasomi.com/rules.php

I wouldn't know. I am not a clever man.

Note that I was hoping that we'd actually head over to the server and play with eachother instead of dicking around with the local population.

Making a linkshell and such. I just wanted to play with you guys.

OP you dumbshit you said everything wrong im gonna BILLY you.

thats not how it works. you mixed everything up.
Mentor mode is something you have to start at Lv1, if you level any job above level 1 or pass 30 minutes since character creation, you can't change between mentor/notmentor anymore on that character.
Lv30 is the level at which you start losing exp if you get shrekt.

mentor mode gives you access to special shops, you can get good buffs for free on NPC Mogs around the world (instead of having to pay for them like normal characters), and you have a 400% speed boost inside city stances ( San D'oria, Bastok, Selbina, etc. )

THE LINKSHELL IS "COMFINITY" /tell Nel OR Tonka FOR A PEARL

yes it does, i've been syncing for pts, don't listen to hes a faggot

level sync and the explorer moogle are not available under level 10 though, so you have to party with people your level or just solo until 10

about 80-100 persons average, 120+ on peaks.

i've played through about 4 servers this week alone, Nasomi included, and here's the problem with them: they're huge rulecucks and the mods are easily triggered to actively do things to players because other players don't like it.

they don't even allow you to use Windower because they think its "unfair" or some bullshit.

how? all it does is shorten the hour-long walks between places like south san d'oria and regine's magic shop in port san d'oria
the 3 main bonuses to MM are:
town speed (the server has a natural speed of 1.5x, so either way you walk faster, if you want to move normal on MM, press Z to toggle between 400% and normal)
free buffs (instead of having to pay like 500 gil for them, 500gil is pocket change)
infinite choco whistle, it just makes you run a bit faster, doesn't affect your combat performance

I will now stop being a faggot and use this data in all future threads

IGNORE ALL THIS AND FUCKING LISTEN TO THIS GUY I AM DUMB FUCK MY ASS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nasomi is awful because of the rulecucks. the moment they told me i could only use ashita and with like 4 of the "allowed" plugins, i quit that shit, specially because ashita never worked for me, and im already comfortable with windower and its many useful plugins like calendar, minimap, text-simplificator, and a few others

Era is the 2nd most populated server, while nasomi has around 250-300 on average, Era has around 100, and that is good enough.

if you're looking for THE REAL HARDCORE EXPERIENCE and whatnot, make a mentor mode character, leveling at 1x is sure to keep you occupied for days and waste your life away.

BCNMs are temporarily broken, a little bug that people in the global linkshell tell me appeared 3 days ago, it should be fixed relatively soon

I also apologize for being a noob dumbass.

That sounds really nice. But we need more players or it will feel empty. Eh I'll install anyway

I have an FFXI install on my computer still (official version)

Is that going to screw with install?

well the linkshell is made, all thats left is for people to join.

if the comfinity people still browse around here they'll surely join up when they see the thread, specially butts who always wanted to play his own server but almost never could because he always had to spend his little free time fixing shit for the people playing.

the idea here is to let other people fix shit, we'll just play.

i strongly suggest everybody makes Mentor characters so we all level up at the same rate, but to each their own, some people have little free time so the normal 4x exp might be beneficial to them

no, that is even better. all final fantasy XI servers always use the latest official retail client data.

but you need to know how to get in, tell me, do you know about xiloader and Windower 4?

So what are all the classes to pick from?

benis that attacks using swords
benis that attacks using magic
benis that attacks using swords and magic
benis that attacks using magic.type2
benis that attacks using swords.type2
benis that attacks using sword.type2 and magic.type2
benis that is a healslut

I think that about covers it.

Can I make cute girls?
Can my character have a beard?

It's been many years since I have played. I've used windower, but I only used it so I could play in a window (When SE finally gave window support, it was still terrible). I never cared much for the plugins or whatever.

no. you get the choice between
male human
female human
male gorilla thing
female gorilla thing
male midget
female midge
male catgirl
female catgirl
and you choose from like four preset heads and hairstyles

that's a shame. I'll still give the game a try though.

I might change over to Red Mage, being a White Mage even WITH the 4x EXP is fucking brutal.

there's no female Galkas or Male mithras, although the latter exist in-game, are not playable.

pic related, i will develop on this picture later, i still need to add how & where to get xiloader.exe, where to paste it, and how to force the FFXI client to update to the latest version.

regardless of what private server you play, you always need the latest update of the official game

–server myera.is
xiloader.exe

you need to have the xiloader.exe file pasted in the same folder that has the POL.exe file, which is the '''PlayOnline Viewer" folder and NOT the "FINAL FANTASY XI" folder.

So just to be clear, we're all going to use the download on the OP right?

I highlyrrecommend everyone starting on era gets a pearl to TehSocial, the server shell. You can have 2 linkpearls at once so there is no reasonnot to; iit's the best way to know what's going on and stay connected with other players.

Been on era for two years now. It's a good time.

Phone typing butchered that post

see

it doesn't matter what you download, what matter is that
1. you have the latest official FFXI client, fully updated
2. you use xiloader and windower.

all of this info is available inside the link at the start of the picture, but some people just need pictures to understand i would have loved to have pictures when i first installed

I have some things to get at the store, but I can get on when I get home.

Also, unless they changed it in the last couple months, on Era you can get a masterkey function if you complete mission 2-3 and then help someone else do 2-3. Masterkey lets you open any door.

Does it work with WINE? How is the performance?

So this version have NPC party members?

no, no trusts here, only people

can't tell you, not sure if there are many linuxfags here

ok nice

WEW
LAD

look at what i just dropped

I might join you fine faggots later. Got a 50hr work week, along with some health flare-ups, so I'm gonna be in my own personal hell for a while.

I'll try to install this shit on my lappytoppy though so I can play at work if it's slow.

I've been playing a shit ton of FF14 from my bed, since I can't seem to leave the house during my weekends.

Still trying to work on a solution for our own private server though, been working on scripts to make managing everything as passive as possible, but that most likely won't be done for months.

lets just play on Era m8.

That's why I said months, I figure if everyone gets burnt out on this, later on down the line, when the urge kicks right back in, we'll have our own server to use.

I won't re-launch comfinity until I can guarantee a permanent solution to hosting, and to managing it.

But until then, I'll just be doing work, here or there, and play with you guys on Era.

I have a ton of professional lua experience i just don't know where to get started. i'd be willing to help if we had the code hosted somewhere

(other languages too but IIRC the existing ones are in Lua)

Core is based in C++, so a lot of functions and calls reference the core.

Feel free to contribute to the official project though, the scripts I'm writing right now are simple NPCs and other shit, though I don't have a dev-server up to test them at the moment.

If I do end up deploying a dev server from a smaller server, I'll those interested know.

That's a big repo

good luck you madman

but really just come play, forget about endless coding for a while

LOOK AT HOW MANY COMMITS THEY HAVE.

Communication is something they're lacking, the core was written by russians, and the comments are shit, and every time someone posts a "fix" they end up changing the core, and breaking a ton of other functions in the fucking process.

It's a free project, and I'm honestly grateful that they've done as much as they've done, though they didn't implement "standards" in their branch merges until around 3-4 months ago (and they've been working on this for the past 4 years)

FOR YOU

If I can get this working while I'm at work (and if it's not busy) I'll jump on later tonight.

Really, fuck my company, part of the reason my health has gone to hell, is mainly because of the shift they put me on (and they said it was temporary) but, now I'm blog posting.

See you guys on the other side.

Yo Nel, this is Arturo.

After I was done taking a massive shit it seems like they shut down the server for maintenance or some shit, there was a GM message about this earlier.

The gondola party was pretty much the party we had tonight, plus a summoner.

Honestly, if more people joined up, it would be even better. The programmer of the server (apparently) also contacted us because he saw the thread, and even joined our party as a Black Mage.

that wasn't the programmer, just some random dude who browses the board.

anybody can code for the Dark Star project. just make another commit thats probably why he said he'd code PUPpetmaster someday nobody will because PUP sucks

artist name?

two artists, they're a pair that does work together, Blast Hardcheese and Tits Galore

I don't know

so while this takes an eternity to install, let me ask a question

How "good" are ninjas and thieves? Any tips I should know about them?

Thieves are strong as fuck. They have the ability Sneak Attack which increases your damage by a shitload for one attack to the back of an enemy. It stacks with weapon skills so you can shit out 2k+ damage weapon skills at 75. You can stack sneak attack with trick attack, which is the same as sneak attack except you need another player between you and the monster.

Nin is one of the best subjobs to have. The ninjutsu spells Utsusemi: ichi and Utsusemi: ni give you 3 shadows that absorb all damage, and if you have nin as your main job Utsusemi: ni actually gives 4 shadows instead of 3. Nin also get the dual wield passive trait at level 10 which allows you to use two weapons, the only other class to get dual wield is dancer at level 20.

There's more stuff to each of them but those are the highlights.

One of the most versatile (which is really fucking GOOD) physical classes in the game, you can use skills to outright void attacks coming at you, you can duel wield weapons in a game where auto-attack is a main form of damage, and they can tank very well with the right gear.

If you want to tank, pick Warrior as your first class. If you want to do fucking MAD ASS DICK STABBER DAMAGE, Pick Thief

These will be your support jobs, which have skills and passives that bleed into your main job.

Ninjas also have special magic called Ninjutsu, so if you want that road, pick Red Mage to make your very fast magic even fucking quicker, as Red Mages have Fast Cast passives.

Thieves are, like

said, strong as fuck for the reasons he said.

Ninjas have one really, REALLY good ninjustu that outright voids attacks, and it's going to be your main tool.

If you want to own mobs and bosses left and right, and essentially be a DPS motherfucker with a capital FUCK, pick either Ninja/Thief or Thief/Ninja.

First one's cooler and is fucking awesome, but they have unique weapon type (Katana) that's really suited for them which means you're going to have a longer road to the best weapon skills, but it's well worth it, I've heard.

Pol Filecheck says nothing is wrong, can log in to era, but get to this and this happens.

What's up?

Is this really happening? Long term?

Also you need to make a decision before you switch classes.

You have to level up your dude, but your sub class is limited to level 37 at max level, so if you want to go ninja, just level Thief up to 37 and move onto Ninja. You can unlock the Ninja job at 30 like every other job through it's unique quest. Or vice versa.

You might have skipped a step in the op guide, or did it in the wrong order (took me three fucking tries because I did shit in the wrong order), but before you do that, right click the launcher you're using and run it as an administrator to see if you didn't fuck up. If not, uninstall and try again in the exact order in the OP link.

I'm going to make this thread every time it leaves the board. I want this to be long term. It all depends on if people are willing and today it's been proven that they are.

All it takes to get people interested is to make a suggestion, any suggestion. I think this is going to be long term, even if I can't come on as often as i'd like.

go into the playonline/squareenix/finalfantasyxi/ROM/1 and move one of those files out and then do a file check. Make sure in the file check you change the drop down menu to ffxi

Also disregard anything that

^^^I said if anyone gives you new advice.

If you have to uninstall, do it, but try everyone else's solution first because reinstallation and setup of this shit is annoying.

No kidding, it took me near 6 hours to go through the filecheck. Reinstalling from scratch ain't exactly what I want to hear.

Will attempt.

No good, same thing. Guess I'm screwed with another reinstall.

Before reinstalling make sure you did all the steps. If I remember correctly there was a step where you had to move a folder and I know a lot of people miss that one.

Might be the server hadn't updated yet. My client is at the latest version. Getting the same error.

If it's too new, you might have the same problem.

I'm certain I did everything, triple-checked it. Maybe the old FFXI files messed things up somehow. Probably retry tomorrow if nothing else comes up.

Was it working for you earlier?

Nope, had all the files installed though. Hadn't updated them since march though. Master version uses a different version serverside I assume.

Poking the Era guys now about it

Thanks in advance for any assistance, heading to bed for now though. Will check this thread in the morning.

What version is everyone's ffxi client? Mine is 30161004_1

Update for those of you who are having FFXI 3331 errors.

Turns out, Squeenix shat out an update on the 11th of October, making the version everyone updated to recently, a version ahead of the current Darkstar Server versions that's out now, including the one that ERA uses.

I posted on their forums and in their discord, the quick and easy fix on their end is for them to update their version.info, though these sometimes carries a side effect of messed up NPCs and certain things not working, due to Squeenix having a habit of shuffling IDtags around every update. (though, I did this a couple of times on my server, I never noticed any major issues, aside from the usual shit not working)

Ah, well that explains it!

Seems to be working now…

Is there a city that we're all starting in? Or did they add a city warp that makes things like that not a concern?

i logged in just now and it didnt give me any 3331 errors. are you sure SE launched a new update?
if that was true, i wouldn't be able to connect right now since i haven't updated my client.

also, i am online right now in case anyone needs a pearl to the comfinity LS

you can start out in any city, particularly, i hate windurst for how maze-like the entire city is, but its up to you.

in case you're going to go mentor, type "@bazaar" in any of the main cities and it will teleport you to Provenance area, there are 2 crystals that float and spin slowly, you can touch either of those to turn on mentor mode, this is in case you cant find the NPC that makes you mentor in the cities (they're not very visible in Bastok & windurst)

playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

They could have also allowed multiple versions within the version.info as well, to allow multiple kinds of clients to connect.

ah, yeah, when they shit out too many updates it becomes inevitable for the GM of the private server to fully update his server to the last version…

butts had to do this many times.

4 players so far in the linkshell, 2 from comfinity and 2 new

keep em coming

ayy yo bitch lizzy gimme dem shoos

so this… is the power of

not bad… not bad at all…

>Peers/Seeds never ever
MEGA where?
Alternatively: I've got both XI and the Ultimate Collection (separately, God knows why) on Steam. Can I just use those and download the other shit from somewhere else?

yeah, yeah you can.

just install the client and update it to the latest version.

Set up the multibox addon, should be able to level my memetor a bit easier now.

I hadn't realized that there was a separate torrent for the patches. That shit's been stuck at 0.00% too, and I started it shortly after making my post.
If someone still has either of the torrents, the patch one in particular, can you throw it up on MEGA or something? Unless there's one or two guys that seed this sometime late at night, I don't see making progress on the torrents anytime soon.

what torrents? all the patches you need are available for direct download

see

also, if you have the Seekers of Adoulin ultimate collection, you dont really need to download anything, just update the game through POL.exe like you would if you were playing retail (by using the "check files" inside)

i dont understand what problem you're having.

I was going based on the forum post in the OP, and the two torrents posted in that guide have absolutely no one seeding with no alternative. I guess I'll give that guide a go instead, thanks.

this is the second time this thread someone has a valid reason to post that image.

the OP was made by a person who is already in game, but didn't pay attention to the previous thread or ever played the game before now. so it might be a little misleading.

wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client
this is the official guide to playing on private XI servers.

so what am I supposed to do about the 3331 error? Just wait until they update or do I have to do something else?

read the thread

I've followed the guide and tried all the fixes listed in the thread but I'm still getting the same error. I really dont want to have to reinstall from scratch because of an update two days ago

here's a guide from the valhalla server on how to force an update, it doesn't take 8 hours, but might take 1~ hour

valhallaxi.x10.mx/home/doku.php?id=updating

I remember you, I used to play a mithra named Euxne in that server.

Okay… It was working, I was able to log on this morning and actually get into the game, and now I'm getting 3331 again.

What? Did it update again?

And now it's working again… oh well, I guess it's something server side…

Here's what I'm assuming happened;

They added a version change on their end, earlier in the day, and then, they decided to just update everything appropriately, since it appears the darkstar server software has updated the version within their version.info.

which most likely also included their ID fixes as well.

My only guess.

13 hours ago the version.info on the master build was older. Now it's new.

TONKA SENPAI TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OF THE SUMMONER

Kill leech-type monsters
Get carbuncle's Ruby
?????
Summon

Uptime: 26 minutes, 13 seconds

Uptime seems to confirm this.

Oh look, another buggy, inaccurate private FFXI server that can't even get 2005 content right and removes all of the features SE added not to casualize the game but to make it fucking playable in a state with a dwindling playerbase.

Oh boy!

Such as?

Basic EXP rate is x4, Mentor EXP rate is x1.5, there are rings (costs 500 conquest points, which is nothing) you can get from Conquest vendors (aka the Signit spell guys) that boost your EXP rate by 75 percent as well, which can be recharged by spending 50 conquest points (less then nothing)

You don't have to be a casual player if you don't like the high XP rate if you consider it too easy, so you can trade it for Mentor Mode (type @Bazaar to teleport to the special area, go get Mentor Mode before you level up), which gives you supersprinting in towns and an infinite Chocobo Whistle, along with free buffs from buff NPCs that normally cost gil to use.

It's constantly being updated and this is one of the few servers where admins aren't rulecucks.

It has all the features of 75 content, but they're working out the bugs (and I've encountered none) because this is a private server.

Stop being a faggot if you're mad that the installation process is long, the server checks out.

The bugs don't really start appearing till post 75 content anyway.

even Comfinity didn't have many bugs until you started getting into post 75+ content.

Darkstar, as far as most if not all of the level 75 content, has done a good job.

mentor mode exp is 1x, not 1.5x

Someone on the linkshell was saying Mentor mode XP was slightly higher then the old rates, but hey, either way, reduced XP.

Think that was me, but I meant mentor mode was the same as the current official retail rates. They significantly increased XP for DC-EM in retail in one of the patches as compared to the old old vanilla rates.

So far, Mentor rates have been what retails would be.

Good times. Kind of feels like it was longer than just 8 months ago.

How's things going on this new server? I've been leading an the guild on a couple of Ragnarok online servers for a bit so I'm sort of satisfied with that at the moment, but glad to see anons still playing a really neat classic.

I'm a bit lost on what to do or where to go. I just wandered out of bastok's south gate and stabbed things till I was level 8. What should I be doing?

It's time for the Dunes lad.

Hit level 10, hit up an Explorer moogle in your town, head to selbina and KILL ALL LIZARDS and rabbits.

I just want to go back in time when it was new and re-live it all over again.

Work is slow tonight. Playing on my lappy.

MithraButts is my IGN. In East Ron, killing fish.

I dont play that often but if my red mage is still there I can hop on and heal you nerd that are leveling now and then.

Fighting in the dunes at level 10, solo, is suicide pretty much.

10 is the level for a full pt of 6 people in the dunes.

Head to the highlands instead and kill some stuff there for now.

Also, make sure you're using the check command (Ctrl+C). If it says Even Match, expect a 50/50 of getting out of there alive, solo. Stick to EP-DC stuff for the most part when you're on your own.

I'll have you know that I've never played this game before or read any of the threads before this so all of these places and terms are foreign to me

RIP

Don't listen to these other people, at level 10 you want to be in your starting zone still. You can level there up until 11-12, then you go to the next zone and get a few more levels. At 15-16 you should be able to do rabbits and lizards in Valkurm dunes easily enough, if not find a party to exp with.

Targeting a monster and hitting Ctrl+C or typing check or selecting the check command from the menu will give you a gauge of their ability relative to yours. It ranges from lowest to highest:

Easy Prey
Decent Challenge
Even Match
Tough
Very Tough
Incredibly Tough

Whenever you're in a new area, make sure to check the local monsters, you want to stay in the Easy Prey - Decent Challenge range. If you're in bastok, that means in the western half of south gustaberg and the southern part of the Koschacht Highlands, which is the zone north of gustaberg.

What degree of 75 era FFXI are we talking here.

Are we talking Promathia era 75?

I'm a sick masochist and might try the nuking pets and words-road to 70 again. IT WORKED BEFORE

Also, how exactly do you make gil if there's not enough of a community but for the top goys and crafters to make a buck?

I got some time. Anyone still on that wants some help leveling or something

Pretty much all of Zilart and CoP works, with some ToAU. As for money, I believe repeatable quests have their gil payout increased 5x, so there's that for low-levels. The auction house is player-stocked so you can always sell stuff on there, stacks of crystal clusters are always a good way to make money. Selling conquest gear on the AH can get you money too. There is also a custom goblin npc that asks for a random item every day that you can turn in for money, I'll post the dev post to explain a little better.

This game seems to be a blast, but it would drain me for a gazillion of hours, you guys need a life!

Is Puppet Master on this server, and is it shit-tier on the private server (like the original)? Is Dragoon also loldrg on this server?

Puppet master, geomancer, and rune fencer all do not work.

Dragoon is always and forever loldrg

Farming bat wings for that gil yo'

Anybody needs a Linkpearl?

im on right now

there's a woman in bastok markets that gives you 1000 gil for 1xTreant Bulb, repeatable

Did you download the launcher from dropbox that has pol.exe and windower4 in it?
As for controllers, Japan doesnt know computers so it uses the first one it finds. If you have more than one controller or anything that might even be seen as one, unplug it. I have an old belkin n52 that I have to unplug every time I want to play.

Yeah, I did. I figured there was something special about the Dropbox's Windower4, even going so far as to uninstall my copy and reinstall that one, but no. For whatever reason, Windower launches the Dropbox's pol.exe, but the command prompt shows up blank if it gets launched that way and eventually crashes. I figured that I should be using xilauncher because two of the guides said to use it, but that isn't even acknowledged by Windower in the slightest.

I don't have any other controllers plugged in, so I have no clue what it could think I have plugged in instead. Maybe I'll have to use Xpadder or something.

follow this

You think I would've asked if I'd followed it and it'd all gone to plan? Your dubs have no power here.

wonder if it has something to do with being steam version.

have you tried googling your problem?

Just for shigs, I tried reverting pol.exe to its original binary, in the hopes that the original would hook into xiloader for some reason. I also tried making a shortcut and putting in the shit as a command line argument instead. No dice. It seems that, no matter what I pass it as an argument, Windower REFUSES to load anything but pol.exe, and CTDs no matter which.

I really didn't know what I was looking for, but on their github page, there were a couple of bug reports that sound similar to the problem I'm having. One has little information, but has someone assigned to it, the others have no responses. I doubt that Steam has anything to do with it, since it's just throwing the base game and the first three expansions in a folder, similar to if I'd installed them off disk. And it shouldn't be a problem because it should be running xiloader instead of pol.exe, but it's refusing to acknowledge the settings I've passed it.

It's not like I can't play the game right now, controller issues barred, but I'm really confused as to why this is happening at all.

user what, you need to have the latest version of the game, with all expansions.

i cant remember the name of that Mithra from comfinity that played SAM, it started with N and he/she was pretty cool.

Was is Nigger?

Nel?

no you dick, i am nel, nel didn't exist in comfinity.

maybe butts can answer

Wew, an SJW was in the server LS and got triggered into taking the pearl off. Literally said "I'm shaking right now" lol what a fag.

wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client#Setting_up_the_Launcher

I forget, I think I know who you're talking about though.

She was the chick who would craft everything for us, and would always be online right?

Heads up to new players, FFXI was designed around the DualShock2 so it's pretty much unplayable without a gamepad. Get a cheap Logitech controller or an adapter for a console gamepad.

YES

come on, someone must remember it was N… something, it was a mithra, he mained Samurai, and he helped me a lot of times with an NM in the desert caves.

fuck, its in the tip of my tongue

you're full retard, the game works perfectly on keyboard, in fact, its better on keyboard because you get quicker access to the macro book.

She was allegedly a chick though, I remember her, she was a lesbian gal, skinny lesbian gal, who lived with her wife, and would do laundry, clean up the house, and play FFXI.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

SHIT, I remember the things people say on the server, but I never seem to remember names.

no, that was Auxy, she mained DRK not SAM

Check out this dumb nigger saying someone else never played the game.

Was that Auxy?

Fuck, but she would also craft shit for us.

cant you just check the files of the old server and tell me

also we're having a valkurm party why arent you playing butts

Got my memetor 3 levels today, and my regular character like 18 hue. Good run everyone!

i wonder if the rest of the bully patrol even browse here anymore i do miss them

I'm at ranperees tomb, getting bat wings for gil.

I'm LVL 14 and online right now, ign is MithraButts.

Also my dB backups are gone. Long story.

/ma Cure it's one line.

sets up a party selection feature for beneficial spells. Look up macros. Also, don't Alt Tab out of your game, log out manually to save your macros.

Also /ma is the catagory that sets up spells to be cast. If you want to cast something that has a space in it, put it in quotes like below

/ma "Cure Your Ass"

The format is catagory, name of skill/spell, modifier. It's not hard.

ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Macro

Check it.

Playing with myself

you log in really damn late

I work nights, and when it's slow, I kill shit just to pass the time between tickets.

I had to stop playing at around 2 am though because of a GOOK of a customer having driver issues with his windows installation though, it was really fucking gay, and Hp proliant servers can suck a fucking dick.

gotta fight the rotting-zombie-dog-"""dragon""" again

wew

Grindan, is comfy as fuck

oh boy, are you ready for crashes?

this is the first time i see competence in valkurm dunes, its to be expected since its saturday

I played XI from it's NA release up until 4 years ago and I only saw that faggot five times. Never got the charm either.

server's been crashing an awful lot and we still have very few players in the LS

is anyone still having installation issues?

Some of us are just out.

I'm headed back after I finish up a college project.

I've been asleep most of the day. I had a dream that someone lost my dog, and I was very upset at them.

i was talking more about new people trying to get in than people who are already in the LS

Ah, it needs to be said that you need to give a Tell to Nel or Tonka for a Linkshell pearl. If they aren't on, then keep on grindin'.

Tonka is a Summoner and Nel is a Red Mage (last jobs I saw them in) if you need help with the search function.

I'm going to keep making this thread just as it leaves the board, so you won't have to worry about missing a thread for Linkshell information.

For the record, the linkshell is Comfinity, so check the Linkshell Concierge NPC.

to all those who have installation problems: Post your problems here, and someone will probably know how to solve it, and make sure you run the launcher as an administrator.

If you have a character up and wish to join the LS, posting the character name in the thread should be a good help, along with giving a tell to Nel or Tonka.

Kashiri and Mithrabutts also have pearlsacks YEAH GAL O SENGEN

aw sheit niggers i just won a server event

jesus dude you don't need that much pie holy fuck

I'm a lot of things duder

neva 4get

server's unplayable today, crash after crash after crash. i think im just gonna take a break and try again tomorrow.

the absolute madmen decide to try out all of their new shiny amateur code on the same day.

test boxes are for pussies, real programmers test in production.

Giving this a bump, server has been stable thus far on my end.

Butts

would it be possible to set up a test server for me people to fuck around with the code?

Started as red mage named Tulslaeh, haven't touched the game since 2002-2004 so I'm mostly busy being terribly confused by everything.

ask Nel or Tonka for a pearl

So there is a good population? I can come be a healslut now?

yeah, about 70-100 players on most of the time

as far as our LS goes, its growing slowly. Orion is that you?

Protip

/ma "Cure"

Slap that in your macros, it allows you to select party members to heal. in general allows that.

get rekt

this was 5+ years ago and i'm still pissed about it

Still working on getting a server without paying for it.

Though it's low on my list of priorities at the moment.

i just wanted to test fixing existing items, i really really want to make this bahamut suit look like it should in retail.

I'd kill a man just to have my very own server where i could just fish here in comfiness 24/7

BTW: for anyone who doesn't want to install the game for whatever reason, I've found that this channel does live streams of the game where they just sit in a singular area for a few hours. It's superbly comfy, but not as comfy as if you had your own server.

Well that's pretty fancy, thanks a bunch!

The private server code is open source, you can download the relevant files from github and run a local server on your own computer. Give yourself GM powers and zip around to any zone you want.

GM is hosting a halloween event in 10-15 minutes

Find him in one of the 3 starting towns and trade him a food item for a pumpkin head

i nuked my C: drive in anger, and i am forced to make a full clean reinstall of FFXI and pretty much every other program, because fucking everything has to install itself on the C: drive even when you've been telling programs to install in the D:\ drive for years. that's micro$haft for you.

wont be playing for a day or two.

A big concern I'm having right now is money. I'm rapidly outleveling my gear and I can't sustain myself with drops all the time.

So where do you goyims get your shekels?

When in a city type @bazaar to go to the provenance zone. Talk to the gobbie npc grumblix and every game day he will ask for a random amount of a random item and give a random amount of gil. There's 3 categories, low-level that a level 10 could do, high-level that 2-3 75s can do, and super-high that needs a full group of 75s, and that one is a race to see who can turn it in first. You can get like 10-50k for the low-level one, 100-300k for the high-level, and 5-10m for the super-high level.

There's also repeatable quests, like
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gourmet
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tiger's_Teeth
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/A_Potter's_Preference
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Seeing_Spots

Keep in mind that gil rewards from quests are increased by 5x, so multiply the rewards on the wiki by 5 to see what you would get. There's more than just these quests, but it's just a few to get you started.

put on Signit in your nation (always do this damn you)
get conquest points
sell level 1 conquest gear in shops (if you're in Windurst, sell the staff, two handed weapons sell for a lot)
sell spare dropped gear in Auction or shops

collect Rabbit Hide, turn it in
Look up quests there's a bunch of those that involve turning things in.

In fact turning in items to quest givers gives you fame which you need to access more quests.

Some of the best gear drops off of enemies, and most enemies have set drops unlike WoW which has randomized ones.

In the Valkur Dunes, each enemy type drops Garrison gear, lizards drop helmets, Damsefly drop trousers, skeletons drop tunics, etc.

There's also an enemy called the Valkur Emperor that drops a really good headpiece called the Empress Earring. You'll have to rely on shops for better weapons for a while though.

I'm used to playing ghetto gear in MMOs. But in this game, your weapon is probably your most important piece of gear early one because it decides your damage and shit, while the rest is most important after that because of stat modifiers.

Learn how to use NTFS junctions.

no

I have one question I need someone to answer me before I commit to this server.

Is Blue Mage bugged like it was in Comfinity?

Pls respond.

Bugged how?

You couldn't get your class armor if I remember correctly, nor could you do the level 70 quest to limit break to 75

what was your char name in comfinity?

The AF quests don't work, there's a custom fight that drops the AF. 70 cap quest can only be done by jobs that have a Maat fight, so no dnc, blu, sch, cor, or pup. You need to level a different class to 70.

did they give Titan the wrong appearance?

I don't remember. It's been too long. But I was that one guy that switched between every class and got everything to level 20 while trying to decide what to play until I could play BLU.

I ended up deciding to level Red Mage which still has one of the harder Maat fights :^)

How close is it retail?

What's the best whatever to play to experience FFXI?

*is it to

there's no best job, you just play.

if you want the "retail experience" you make a mentor character, you'll level up at 1x exp instead of 4x

It's the smn AF weapon fight. All the avatars work

im really, really close to fixing the body suits

see? no clipping in my test server

ppppppppppp

i don't remember the last time i had this much fun coding.

when you code for a jew corp, its boring and depressing, but when you code FOR FREE for a bunch of internet fags holding the corpse of a dead game alive through emulated servers, ITS INCREDIBLY FUN.

XP boost ruins the server

Then play as a mentor you faggot

this has been a ride

I wish there was an easier way to make money when you start out.

use you dumb galka

I have no items that give me the skill and I haven't leveled thief enough yet to have it

then level thief nigger, you just need level 15 for treasure hunter

I am leveling thief it's my main class right now. I'm that new you faggot.

How do I get started? Just clone the darkstar client and get to it?

just follow the guide in the DSP wiki

Give me a level and i'll give you a farming location.

While in any major city, type @bazaar to go to the custom area. Talk to Grumblix and every game day he'll give tell you to bring him a random number of a random item for gil. One of them will always be a low-level item you can get as a new player. Look up the items on ffxiclopedia if you don't know where to get them. You can also use the item database on the Era website.

I guess I should also mention that you click on the planar rift to go back to your home point and click on the goblin footprints next to it to go back to your home city.

16 right now. I'm probably going to farm outside of Selbina once I aggregate funds.

When you hit about say level 30-40 (you should hook up with a few peeps on the linkshell) go to Bubumiru Peninsula and go fuck up some leeches on the south beach. They drop about 1-3 Bird Blood each, and each sells for 150 at a shop. a stack of 12 is about 2000 gil. Bubumiru Pennisula (which is next to Mhaura) is practically a gil farming area. As for money, your best bet is rabbit hides at this point and you should hook up with the linkshell for a grinding session to get you to 30-40 since that area I mentioned needs you at around that level.

Also if you don't have your subjob, get it.

it's also a good grinding spot over in bubumiru because leeches also have a small chance to drop a Carbuncle Ruby (summoner quest item that you should just start anyway since it's quest just requires zoning into places to record weather), which has a low drop rate that you can increase with your passive Treasure Hunter ability, and being a thief you should steal every chance you get, even for trash items.

Another place to farm is just outside San Ordia, specifically for Rabbit Hides, which you can turn in for gil and FAME, which is way more important as it allows you access to things like class quests and avatar fights, along with some of the more fun bosses and better gear.

By the way, check your status and your abilities in the menu, you have Treasure hunter, which makes farming for items a WHOLE lot easier, and you get a second rank of it at level 45 as well.

I said I had interest in playing so I would be willing to give it a shot to add to the population. Never played this though so I'll look into the links here either way to the OP or anyone else in here. How many people do you have in the server right now or normally?

its not our server, we just have a linkshell on it, and it has about 7-8 people so far, more than half of them are new to the game and log in at different times during the day.

fire crystals usually go pretty good from memory.

Enjoying the game a lot. The overall aesthetic is much better than XIV. Very comfy playing with just a keyboard in bed. Always love it when games have good controls for that.

yeah 14 is just pale imitation of this game visually. really awful color pallete in that game.

i'm still pissed at SE for cowardly shutting the original 14 and making a wow clone instead.

grumblix is trading 7 bird blood for 20k until midnight

if you noobs need money, the time is now.

What little of the original I played seemed interesting. Maybe if there was more time to finish it then people would have liked it more.

/sh TRAIN TO ZONE SRY RUN

IT BEGINS

thanks for that m8

you need to play the game until the cancer is washed from your bloodstream.

once you get used to it, you don't want to go back to skillbar mashing, but to do that, you need to keep going.

Fenrir to use all my mp, carby to gain it back.

carby as a masturbation aid

fenrir for a wild beastly fuck

Trying to strawman a four word post isn't doing you any favors considering the last MMO I played came out before that, and FFXI is just another tab-targeting MMO – only everything's buried in barely responsive menus. Something about glass houses and throwing stones.

Who knows? I played briefly a few years ago on Nasomi, but quit out of boredom before reaching the Valkurm Dunes. To be fair, the start of most MMOs are never all that riveting and I even appreciate the Final Fantasy flavor the game brings to the table. The developers were able to squeeze everything out of the IP, making you feel like you're a whole new world by fighting Huge Hornets (not to be confused with normal hornets). My issue mostly stems, setting aside the
with how painfully dull the combat is. Park yourself near the weakest mob, press auto-attack and tune out. Don't go for anything too fancy or instead of reaping a pittance of experience you'll just become a corpse. There's not much I can do that matters beyond a skill that has a one hour cooldown. But that might just be the job I chose to start with, if there are any more involved do tell.

Easy swipes aside, what am I missing? How many hours before it becomes interesting? Or is it simply not for me?

Every class has a 1 hour ability at level one. Most jobs get another ability at level 5. If you skill up your weapon you will get a weapon skill you can use when you build up 1000 TP. You get TP from hitting things and getting hit by things. When you party with other people you can chain your weapon skills together to create skillchains that do extra damage and mages can magic burst on them for even more damage. Mages have to buy new spells, you don't just learn them automatically.

A lot of the fun of the game comes from exploring or working hard to get an item you want, giving a sense of accomplishment. XI didn't have a gear treadmill like modern MMOs, so a rare level 7 piece of equipment can still be useful to a level 75 character. You just have to go out and hunt the notorious monster that drops it.

The main missions/storyline are bretty good too. CoP especially is neato. CoP has a lot of level capped content so you can't just faceroll through it with your level 75 stuff, making it challenging and forcing you to group up with people.

If all you care about is the combat it's best not to play. The game is more about going on adventures with some good friends than anything else.

Also, there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts to get around the UI. Plus you can make macros to do almost everything. If you can be more specific about any problems you're having we can help you.

go back to wow please

Thanks, I wouldn't say I only care about the combat as much as it's the only thing I can care about right now.

I don't think, or know anything about the dunes or above your arbitrary level you mongoloid. It's in the same post you replied to
Effectively, all I know is what I've experienced.

so you played like an hour, didn't get past level… what, 15?… and felt you were in your full capacity to judge the entire game.

if your attention span is that long, you definitely shouldn't play this, hell im surprised you even managed to install it.d

You really want to go over attention spans when you couldn't even read a single post properly?

If you think that's an hour for someone new, and on Nasomi to boot you're full of shit. Not that I expected much better given your past handwaving attempts.

There's two ways we can go about this one, either you're going for a "you must play X hours before judging a game" in which case you're a moron or you're still failing to grasp that I'm judging what I experienced in which case you're a moron.

Don't feel too bad, Nel has autism.

Era has 4x xp rates, but you can make your character a mentor which is 1x rates and no fov pages but you get access to special shops, the moogles out in the world that give buffs give them for free, you get a rechargable chocobo whistle, and in towns you go sanic fast. It's up to you what you prefer, although you can always make both.

fucking neurotypicals

Is there a decent population? I want to make a mentor, but I'm afraid I won't have anyone to grind with.

short answer: yes

long answer: your question has already been answered in the thread, at least 2 times

Look, if you can't stand the leveling to 15 in the first area, especially with the 4x XP on, you don't have patience and probably shouldn't be playing an MMO.

Without mentor mode on, you will literally hit 15 in 30 minutes. Mentor mode is for the original players who liked the old balance, so don't play on that if you
CAN'T EVEN STAND THE FIRST AREA

Either give it a chance and join up, or don't and leave. And for god's sake don't play as a White Mage when you start up, it's hell on new players.

Amazing, another person who can't read! I should start collecting them.

I already started playing on Era before making my first post in the thread, I made an inquiry because it was shaping up to be a repeat of my previous attempt.

Since you tried to be a bit helpful, I'll return the favor: the easiest way to get me to "leave" is to stop throwing retarded shit my way.

So you'll only stay if we bully you?

gaaaaaaay

you said something retarded, acted like you were right, and we called you out on it.
we don't want you to leave, we want you to stop being a retarded passive-aggressive little bitch.

Please, point it out. Substantiate.

Not really? One poster kept chimping out and going off on tangents about another game, the second poster actually answered my questions, which isn't "calling someone out" as much as providing information and then a third poster joined the fray with something I just answered.

Oh, yes. Quite silly of me to act like I believe what I said. My apologies. I still am, by the way

to every line
used against me
in every post

do you have a pearl yet?

Man, arrogant, delusional, argumentitive, far from humble and retarded to boot.

Yeah, I don't think we'd care if you left the server considering what an asshole you are. in fact, leave.

So a perfect fit, welcome aboard!

I just want to drown myself fam

what happen to butts

Work cut off connectivity for external connections, I can't play at work anymore.

you shitting me? 2 days from start and they cut you off? is it permanent?

Tarutaru so much better than the XIV potato people. Actually, literally everything looks better in this game. What the fuck went wrong?

i could write paragraphs of speculation but the truth is i didn't play XIV for longer than a day, both the original and the nu-XIV, but if you search the internet you'll find a lot of info about how much the original XIV sucked.

in the end they just copied wow and made a 3rd online Final Fantasy game instead of fixing what they already had.

ARR is so popular because its literally japanese WoW, its a new huge themepark that takes you by the hand to every attraction.

i
HATE
the dunes

I only played the original XIV briefly, but the shaders or something made everything look a lot better than ARR. Still not on par with the what I'm seeing in XI.

I actually liked the small bit of the original I played, but it felt unfinished so I thought I would wait for things to be fixed and new features to be added. I still think that if SE hadn't forced them to release it in an unfinished state that it could have been good eventually.

Played a ton of ARR and enjoyed it, but 99% percent of my enjoyment was from the FF aesthetic. Fucking hate that it's a WoW clone now. Could have at least made it more like vanilla WoW so it would have been only half as shit.

half a shit is still shit, you cant say its only half

t. """henry""" tonberry

Wait until 60-75 where everyone levels in Cape Terrigan. Which is a desert. And you kill Lizards and rabbits for the FoV page.

fuck that, i will head straight to ro'maeve or aht urhgan

tfw you try to autotranslate "aht urhgan" in Holla Forums as if you were in-game

very gay

finally the lazy GM added my code to the game in the last rebuild, now i can properly wear this.

if only butts could play…

move to this thread

i rewrote the OP to be less retarded.