AMD bricked my graphics card with a new driver

What games are both fun and Arma levels of fuck your PC? I want to justify spending 300 dollaridoos on this. Until then I'm going into Openmw and editing the ini until every overworld cell is loaded simultaneously.

nice blog how do i follow it

No matter how much you spent it would always be a waste of money

Never count on AMD to make a decent GPU driver, they're in a really shitty position right now and all their software-side work is outsourced to Pajeets

I remember a kernel update for Linux breaking on every single AMD users installation who used the official drivers because of a GCC incompatibility

gnu compiler sucking as usual, lmao

I'm in the same boat as you, user.
To be honest getting a soundcard with better audio and 3D support had a larger effect.

Its a shame every Linux distro has to use its libraries then

So Nvidia is better?

the official drivers are shit and only work on specific kernel versions so fuck anyone who had that problem by blindly updating to a kernel that's not supported

Alpine doesn't iirc

No, not necessarily.
In my mind it's always been Nvidia leading with performance but AMD leading in 90% performance at half the price.

Pretty much. When I build for friends and family who are concerned about price I use AMD. When I build for myself or others who just want the best regardless of price, I use Intel/Nvidia.

AMD fucked up bad in the last 5 years. Intel/Nvidia literally dominate the supercomputing market and AMD has been relegated to low-end only

In the early 2000s it was AMD with 50 percent market share and Intel another 50 percent, but something happened, and now its Intel at 80 percent and AMD at 20 with others like VIA being negligible in the IBM PC compatible space

Intel realized they had to pour billions into R&D to stay ahead, and it payed off because Intel chips run laps around AMDs shit. The bad side is with any monopoly, Intels shit is expensive as fuck even for performance compared to AMD

How does it feel to know a 400$ machine can run games that look better than your 2000$ Steam machine?

Intel owns their own fabs, which are the most advanced on the planet. AMD has to rely on foreign fabs, that are a generation behind Intels. It's one of the reasons AMD has more but weaker cores on their chips, even though with the current state of programming 4 cores is all you really need.

Nvidia outperforms AMD with their drivers. So many games come out with buggy AMD support.

Oh, yes those beefed up tablet APU's that can barely run games at 30 fps and 1080p. I so jealous. I wonder why no ones tried to integrate those APU's into a PC. Imagine all the amazing graphics we could be having.

AMD's "fuck up" was that they got deals to be the chip manufacturers for all the consoles. They're getting enough money from that that they don't really care about the PC gaming market. They don't even have card that is competing with Nvidia's flagship card. Also AMD's always been kind of crap with drivers, not that Nvidia is fantastic either but they do a better job then AMD.

Their console chips did save them from complete financial collapse, but they still get over half their revenue from the PC sector. Plus, they didn't even put much development time into the console chips as they just modified an existing design. And they don't manufacture them.

Major difference between Nvidia and AMD right now is the AMD is struggling to survive and Nvidia is not. The high end market is not a big earner for either company. It adds advertising, prestige, and eventual new developments for the low end, but it doesn't generate the immediate large sums of money AMD needs to dig itself out of a hole.

All I meant was that AMD having the console chips money coming in left them not having to really compete in the high end sector. AMD has always been about being the budget brand but now they don't even have stuff in the same area.

Pretty much same deal for me. Geforce 570->Radeon RX 480. There's definitely a performance boost, but going from medium->high settings nowadays basically requires a before and after screenshot comparison, and half the time the added post processing effects make it worse with shit like DoF that you want to turn off anyway.

It's nice that the cards these days are so much more efficient though. The fans don't even need to spin up on most slightly older games.

XD whats wrong with us

heh windows users and their stuttery operating system

MSAA? that's a pretty fucking big difference fatso

AMD also got pushed out of the low end cpu market since they're so far behind intel is cheaper

Well they did, and the gpus are basically a 100$ midrange amd gpu from 2012 with cut down hardware ahd half the clock speeds

Happened to a friends' HD7850, and I've read reports online of the same thing happening to others.
Not sure what OP's card was, but its definitely possible.