Do you think low poly can become again a popular style among games?

Do you think low poly can become again a popular style among games?

But it has.

Jesus fuck I sure hope not

More or less the same aesthetic can be created with Cell Shading/Toon Shading

Your embed isn't really all that low poly though.
I'm cool with any visual style as long as it's made with care and skill, and most low fidelity styles in modern games are just shitty hipster pixel art.

No thanks.

I hope it's Quake-tier poly. You can't recreate the same vibes in Quake and similar titles with higher polycounts, the monsters all rely on having not too many polygons.

I sure do hope it comes back, it's an excellent way for games to have VR support without too much strain on your PC! :DD

:DDD

Quake and 90's low poly games in general have better textures than indie games though.

I've always liked Quake 1 models and textures. Kind of wished ID software stuck with the RPG idea so you could do some more first-person melee combat.

Not to get too off topic, but how do people feel about polygonal backgrounds mixed with 2d character sprites? It's kind of an interesting asthetic, especially at high resolutions. It has a gameplay effect too, since interactable things pop out more visually. A modern example of this would be Pokemon black or white emulated at high res.

RPG? Designed by George Romero, the Grand Master of level design himself? You'd have to buy Daikatana™, user.

pic related is probably the best example of this however I think I read once that it's actually 3D models with sprites layered over them to give them the organic animations that you see on field and in battle.

Isn't Daikatana for the Gameboy color an actual RPG made by Romero?

get out

And while I'm at it, Xenogears is a PRETTY looking game both in the polygonal backgrounds and spirtes. It has some of the best sprite animations I've ever witnessed in an rpg, perhaps in videogames as a whole (barring 2d fighters of course). I baffles me that some people have the gall to say the spritework is ugly.

Yes, it's low effort and 3d is easier t make then 10,000 hours of MS Paint because idiots forget you have to draw that shit first. But the low poly of indies will be garbage through and through.

Different strokes for different faggots user.

Kill yourself

I looking to make mech-based RPG as something of a personal project, and I'm thinking that somewhere between N64-PS2-tier low-poly in order to save time and effort. That's not to say that I want to half-ass it, but as a single person I cannot feasibly make detailed 3D models for everything I want in the game without some things looking inconsistent, especially environments. 2D is right out simply because it wouldn't work for the style of game I'm doing, so low poly is really my only option. I've got a ways to go before I can really get started on it, but I'm confident if I keep it a reasonable scale I can do the low poly style justice.

The FPS has RPG elements too.

A crossbow bolt or two or a warhammer would sort him out in short order.

I'd prefer voxels having a comeback.

Fuck low-poly. That's just indie fags obsessing over papercraft aesthetics.
You want low-fidelity as an artstyle. Low-poly doesn't mean shit if it's not going for that true PS1/N64 look. It needs more than models simply being 600-2000 tris. It needs unfiltered(or mostly unfiltered) textures that are between 64x64-128x128 in size, vertex shaders instead of ray tracing or other modern methods, short render distance with LOD fog. Until low-poly games look like FFVII, Super Mario 64 or MediEvil I don't give a shit about it.
The only good example of this I can think of in the modern indie scene is Sky Rogue and Speebot(Which you can follow the development of in the AGDG thread on this very board)

fuck your retarded vision of low poly art faggot

Here's your (you) now fuck off so that the big kids can have their proper intellectual discussion.

MGSV was technically already low poly, it just had really, really good lighting.

Right now its 8-bit indie shit that Minecraft and countless terrible RPG maker games like fucking Tumblrtale, just you wait OP, low-poly is gonna be popular real soon.

This sort of shit can fuck off.

If it's good low poly then sure, shit like the first pic is good but I think considering the amount of power we have Shovel Knight "8-bit" low poly would be the best, where it's just eating the aesthetic value of low poly's sharp and somewhat simple silhouettes and low res textures.

I'd say 3ds games are the best example of this even though they aren't low poly.

You get a similar effect from the original Silent Hill.

Siren still has the best combination of low poly and well rendered photographic texture. It's the most disturbing video game graphics I've ever seen.

FUCK OFF SHILL

>>>/4chan/
>>>/reddit/

Lowpoly can be fine if you have decent textures.

If they had that general art style but had the game world not completely empty I might play it

Why live

Now with less AA!

Necropolis sort of had a low poly look. Though I'd rather see games that do it in a way that look just as shitty as PS1 games actually did.

There's no "can".
It WILL become the next popular thing.
We've had a thread about this some time ago and the conclusion was

-pixel art was loved on Holla Forums
-indie games use pixel art all the time
-Holla Forums now hates pixel art
-Holla Forums loves low poly
-indie games will start using low poly all the time
-Holla Forums will start hating low poly

Repeat with the next thing.

Not as good as Breath of Fire 4. That had amazing spritework and animations.

Something about Xenogears has always felt off to me. I think it's the way the game zooms in and out a lot, messing with the scaling of the sprites.

Pixel art and low poly can be and are done well, but there will always be people who fart out low quality work and get idiots (many of whom are on Holla Forums) to pay for it.

Rinse and repeat.

I hate the new indie low poly look because no one bothers to add textures, there are more detailed textures in game from 15 years ago.

A mace is dull, a warhammer is piercing from one side.

*blunt

maybe when creating textures and meshes aren't such a gigantic pain in the ass

I like low-poly/unshaded/untextured look as long as it's done well and makes sense. Just like I enjoy low-detail pixel-art when it's done well even though the majority of it is garbage. There's a difference between Shovel Knight (which goes to the trouble of using the original NES colour palette for authenticity) and typical indie-shit made in paint and slapped with an "art" label because they're pretentious hipster fucks.

Grow Home does the low-poly look well, and it works because it feels like an experimental game. If they'd dressed it up too much it would feel like the gameplay doesn't match the AAA presentation. Also I've been replaying the original Tomb Raider games and despite some Z-buffering and lack of basic physics so dead bodies lie flat and clip through uneven terrain they hold up pretty nicely.

That there's a morning star (which is itself often confused with a flail).

Fucking improper use of language leads to the clusterfuckery. Now we have literally literally mean figuratively and decimate means to reduce by 1/10th or just, you know, reduce by some non-descript amount like every other fucking synonym does.

So what's a "spiked mace" then? Because that was like 3rd of 4th result in google image search for that query.

A synonym for morning star, you thesaurus lacking simpleton.

But a morning star is a type of mace

Fug, those PS1 aesthetics are gorgeous.

Yes, with spikes on it. A mace is a blunt weapon. If it has spikes on it, it's no longer blunt is it?

Have you ever heard, a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not always a square?
A morning star is a mace but a mace is not always morning star.

also

the fucking faces in the original Siren and Siren 2 are disturbing as shit because each time the texture changes to simulate talking, it looks like it fades in and out a bit.

Also the game takes advantage of Uncanny Valley shit by photographing the voice actor's faces onto the models.

However, the twist here isn't that the FACES don't fit, because they look gorgeous and actually pretty real even to this day, it's the fucking ANIMATION of them talking, since the very real faces switch textures to talk like old games did back then.

It will again. It will become the new indie-pixel shit.

not the same thing user

I really hope so, games are becoming much more Hollywood, artists nowadays are just tasked with cleaning scan data to make the most "realistic" generic games.
I blame this "best" graphics storm, everyone forgot about the aesthetic and the overly fluid animations and expressions that games could have (Not fluid per se but more like 80' cartoons where characters would stretch and not maintain the same rigid pose).