What kind of tv do gamecube and wii games look best on? Mainly gamecube games, I only ever play a few wii games

What kind of tv do gamecube and wii games look best on? Mainly gamecube games, I only ever play a few wii games.

Other urls found in this thread:

annarbor.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=crt&sort=rel
annarbor.craigslist.org/ele/5800067398.html
amazon.com/Sony-KD-34XBR970-34-Inch-Trinitron-Digital/dp/B000F4RC02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476291947&sr=8-1&keywords=sony trinitron wega
amazon.com/Sony-KV-34HS420-34-Inch-Trinitron-HD-Ready/dp/B0002HVIC0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476291951&sr=8-3&keywords=sony wega
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CRT for GC and LCD for Wii

Both systems can be played with component cables unless you live in PAL region. Want the best resolution, either get the cables or emulate via PC. If you don't care about resolution, keep to CRTs.

First off, get a Wii and play games on that if you're looking for good picture quality. With the Cube you'll be paying out the ass for the special component cables that Nintencuck in their infinite wisdom forced to use a special decoder. And even then later revisions of the cube removed enitrely the port for component cables. Wii on the other hand has easy component cables to find and it's very to play Gamecube games in 480p. Hook them up to any TV with component input.

A really good 480p rear projection tv

Well, widescreen CRTs actually exist so I guess that's definitely the absolute best option. But that's not very realistic, so you should just use an LCD for Wii games and GC games with widescreen support to get 16:9 and a CRT for GC games with only 4:3 I think there's some Wii games that don't do 16:9 too, like the first Trauma Center. And I guess there's some GC games like F-Zero GX where if you want to get ridiculous times you should use a CRT because no input delay.

This, unless you want to shell out for a Gameboy Player or those retarded GC Component cables just use a Wii with component for everything.

gamecube and wii look best on crt. lcd's do not do 480p well. If you are not running your LCD at your native resolution it looks like garbage. hooked my wii up to my broadcast monitor with yipper and I'm starting to feel more and more disgusted with how lcd's fucking ruined everything with display technology for the convenience of size.

You seriously don't know what you're missing out on until you see wii and gamecube games in 480p on a crt.

I can understand for older game systems so people don't have to run out and buy a framemeister but on anything from Dreamcast on is best on an HDTV so long as it's got the appropriate inputs.

Stop buying shit sets

Puked. I mean, i understand the og xbox since it can output certain games at 720p but the DC/PS2 really suffer fron input lag on LCDs.

480i/p images look like shit on any lcd that doesn't have that as its native resolution. Saying otherwise just proves your own ignorance.

No, they really don't. Stop buying shit sets. Both are capable of 480p, which most HDTVs take natively, and if you get a set that isn't garbage you won't experience noticeable input lag.

Funny, they look fine on my 720p Samsung. Maybe you should consider not buying garbage?

Found the fucktard

I think you need to remind yourself how these systems look on a proper set. LG is far from garbage, and is often compared favorably to Samsung, which is the best brand for LCD HDTVs, LG is usually just below them, far from garbage. Every PS2, Wii, Xbox game I've ran on my LCD has a slight blur that should obviously not be there, and when in motion the picture processing has a blurring quality to it. Compared to my BVM which handles the same yipper signal from my Wii far, far better I'm questioning if I should even have these systems hooked up to my LCD.

Consider finding a way to compare them locally, get a good CRT, not necessarily a professional monitor considering how rare/expensive they can be, but something with component-in, and you'll find there's a world of difference.

That or sit happy with your delusion while you run 480i/p sources on a display built for 1080p only.

getting a better video cable doesn't magically make the process of upscaling a 640x480 image any faster for your television, just makes the image look a little better.

Lulno. Stop buying shit from walmart poorfag.

I own a CRT and my 720p Samsung is far superior for that gen of games. The only one delusional here is you assuming you can speak for me when you yourself admit to limited experience.

Nigger have you seen 6th gen games without anti-aliasing? The jaggies are made even worse by the pixel by pixel display to the point where it looks like a shitty MS Paint comic. If you want to play on an LCD, emulate and crank AA up.

hyperbole is so fun, isn't it? I'd rather not just slap a smudge filter over the games, and I prefer to play on original hardware because emulation introduces clear issues. The games look fine so long as you're not an autist which seems to be a problem in this thread.

I do run two 1080p samsung and a panasonic at my job, where I've tested various consoles. Results still very similar. There is no way to get rid of the blur. Please provide more information if you want to prove it otherwise. I'll gladly share Wii/GC game shots on a BVM once I get home.

You can't upscale a 640x480 image to fit into a 1920x1080 space (even while maintaining aspect ratio) without blurring it to fill in for those details. Just can't be done, unless you think the image enhancing technology from those special crime department shows is actually real.

they look fine but OP clearly asked what was best. You can get better from a CRT with component in than with an LCD that only supports rca yipper component as a legacy option.

If I'm not mistaken that blur is caused from not using component cables (rgb) and using the standard a/v cables (r/w/y)

Nigger, are you not even reading my posts? What about 720p do you not understand? You do remember they made TVs at 720p, right?

I use yipper on ps2, xbox, and wii (switching to rgb on the ps2 soon) and the blur is there on my LCD.

you were talking garbage before, but now it's just getting weird. You might wanna update your rather old display to something that at least does 1080p now that the consumer technology has been refined. Small error on my end, please address everything else and provide pictures if you want to change some minds. I'll share some shots of Wii/GC games on my BVM in a few hours.

Moron, I have a 1080p display too, but I don't use it for low res gaming, I use it for my PC. Holy shit.

Both systems can be played with Component cables in either region you silly willy.

Nintendo wasint trying to price gouge or cut out 3rd party cables. The port was made made for the unfinished 3d display and portable lcds. It was repurposed as a higher quality video out later but since it was digital only it needed the chip.

Thats nice, show us a 480p game now and quit evading

a lard old fashioned deep back tv, the kind you find in your dads mancave

Large, but if your dads fat lard too I guess

It looks best on Dolphin TVs :^)

eh? Inaccuracies are never good looking!

Most gamecube games are intended for 4:3 ratio, very few of them may have an option to render in 16:9 in the game settings.

Every wii game can render to 16:9 if the system is set to widescreen mode.

Btw, forget about the crt vs lcd wank. I really don't think it matters for gen6.

it absolutely matters. Nobody was seriously using LCD until after 2006, when the 6th gen was absolutely over.

gamecube works with component in PAL but does not support 480 Progressive scan mode.

Wii lets you use 480P for all regions.

only issue is wii component out is not as good as GC's signal. Nintendo used a very good DAC in the GC's yipper cable. Still, it's not some amazing difference, just very, very slight.

user input lag isn't fixed by cables, you dumb shit

don't worry, the lcd shill long since fucked off

Good, now I have one question:
annarbor.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=crt&sort=rel
Are any of these worth picking up or should I just wait or look elsewhere?

LCDs were around and being used in the early 2000s underage faggot. What do you think those portable console monitors you could buy were using?

have you ever used an lcd from before 2007, they weren't great in 2007, but they were fucking awful before then. especially consumer sets. especially what you find on handhelds up until the psp/ags-101, even then far from perfect (psp 3000's screen was nice.) Nobody was seriously using them. Can you read?

the silver Sony CRT here annarbor.craigslist.org/ele/5800067398.html has component RCA. Other than that, nothing seems particularly good. There's actually some very nice professional sets on ebay right now if you want to spend towards the $100 range. It's a 13" Panasonic BT-M1310Y

They were shit but they were around and console manufacturers knew about them. Shut up nigger.

congrats you're refuting things I never even said you stupid shit

Thanks for being retarded, nigger.

ok lcdshill

lol dumb nigger

yes yes, you'll sell your korean lcd's some day Mr. Nguyen, but I won't have to deceiving honest anons.

The 480p era was the most awkward era for displays.

Games look better in different displays in a case by case basis.
2D games and 3D games with high contrast of colors usually look better on a CRT. However 3D games that strived for realism at least in some fashion or darker games will look like fucking ass on a CRT (specially if you don't play in total dark thanks to the extreme screen glare). And they'll look like shit in a HDTV anyway because 480p stretched in an HDTV looks life fucking ass. So for those games that don't look good on a CRT, either they have an HD remaster or emulate them with PCSX2 and Dolphin for the hardware upscale.

There is no perfect display for 480p gaming, it's the most awkward fucking area in gaming history when it comes to displays, it was that area of transitioning between CRTs and HDTVs.

drop the name of a game so I can give you an example

I don't know what you're on about, but Black for the PS2

they knew about them in the 1990s too (PS1 light gun games mention that LCDs won't work) dosen't mean that they cared about them.

what's next, using a calculator screen to play nuDoom? It's an LCD so it must be good!

PS2 version doesn't do 480p, only 480i, so I'm doing the Xbox version instead. Using Yipper. Difficult to take shots of a professional display especially with a smart phone camera, but a game that makes pretty heavy use of contrasting light sources like Black definitely excels. It's nice to see the menu not look blackish blue, but properly, deep black.

I'm going to guess that that's because of the compressed contrast range and shitty gamma.

I still don't know what you're going on about
You just asked me for a game and then took some pictures of it
I have no idea what your point is

if you have it available to run on an LCD, try to compare it. 480p on a high quality monitor is tremendous compared to on any LCD.

Well fucking obviously Specially when LCDs are generally shit, even the higher end ones still have terrible black levels.
We're talking about in general terms here. It's pretty obvious that the most high end CRTs have the most impressive results and color fidelity. But again we're talking in general terms here for standard displays I imagine, not to mention the fucking hassle it is to juggle multiple signals and cables on CRTs and sync cables and whatnot. Then there's the issue of space and all that shit.
I don't think anyone remotely informed will argue that the most autistic high end crt won't output the better colors, but a standard crt has a lot of fucking problems, and crops the edges, it's misaligned, screen warping, the blacks even though are strong they're very little in contrast and are hard to spot the nuances between darker spots. etc,etc, etc. And if your CRT comes with shit menus and configs good lucking fixing its problems.

I'm not arguing against a high end CRT, and most importantly I never said it looks good on a HDTV either. My point is that some games look really nice on a standard CRT, while the rest you'll just have to really weigh your options (unless of course you have a high end captain autismo crt bvm 9000 mark III gaiden).

If you have a component CRT you'll probably be getting great results. Also the professional monitor scene isn't really that complex. Gaming's never been a cheap hobby but you can definitely find some great sets if you keep an eye out.

Wtf is yipper? Google gives me nothing

Depends where you live. Here not really, it's really hard to find one.
And no, both of my better CRTs don't wield great results for those types of games, darker spots are really hard to read

yipper is RCA component aka YPbPr.

have you tried adjusting gamma/brightness/contrast to retrieve desirable results? There's definitely some games out there that have that brightness test.

Wii + CRT with component input

Yeah I've fucked with them a lot. I can't really raise the brightness without really fucking up the contrast completely, everything becomes gray. Then if I fuck with the contrast slider with the brightness up, everything becomes retarded saturated. I manage to find a sweet spot for some games but then it looks retarded in other games and it just becomes a hassle going back and forth.

I can see that. How old is your set and does it have component video? Also does it emit a faint ringing/buzz?

Haha oh component
Ninja I'm in yurp I have 2 scart inputs, 1 composite and 1 s-video. I could do RGB on any standard TV here if I really wanted to with scart.

You nignogs really got fucked with your crt signals

Oh and your other questions, it's probably 12 years old and it does emit the usual buzz

yes but europe got fucked with 50hz, the PAL standard is a real black mark on video history. It was just us American consumers who got the odd end of the stick with video options. SCART is great however! I appreciate it exists, and wish our TV standards got something like JP-21 or SCART, an all-in-one solution for all possible types of video and stereo audio. Much cleaner too.

It may honestly need tuning up. I have 4 professional monitors, two of which are BVMs, one of which has 33,000 hours on it and it's got no flaws. The buzzing may be aged capacitors. I don't think you're going to want to be tweaking it at all, however. One of my monitors has buzzing, but it fades away after a few minutes of run time.

It's rude to mention 50Hz how dare you

we must accept history as it preceded us, with all its flaws. Good news is you can absolutely bypass it today, and the 50hz limitation was soft coded so you can run the games as the developers intended, but I'm sure you know that. I just wonder if it's possible to tweak displays to get a 60hz refresh rate on them?

Most modern CRTs support both 50Hz and 60Hz mode, mine included.

And really the 50Hz problem is only on unoptimized games, a lot of games are optimized so they run at proper speed. People like to throw the Sonic 1 example a lot since it's such a glaring flaw, but all the other Sonic games are properly optimized for 50Hz and run at normal speed.

I've seen many cases where developers simply slow down the game, and this was a common thing up to even the 6th generation. Devil May Cry is a common one, and making that game 50fps as opposed to 60fps definitely hurt it.

It is good to see some games worked within this constraint, but even then it is getting a weaker experience.

For anyone in PAL regions, you can find CRTs that support 50/60hz, even old ones, if they are described as multiformat. Most common for professional sets - I can't think of a pro monitor that isn't multiformat.

Not sure about DMC since it's a pretty early title but almost every PAL PS2 game at boot asks you if you want to run the game in 50 or 60hz mode
Really most CRTs here support 60Hz, it's just the old ones that don't. If you bought a CRT in the late 90s or early 2000s you'd be terribly unlucky not to have it support 60Hz

Why there, CRT of course

If you can somehow load NTSC games (i.e freeloader) a PAL Gamecube will infact output a progressive signal - the hardware is the same, it's just that they stripped the option from PAL software.

PAL is actually a huge improvement over NTSC when it comes to color reproduction - the biggest benefits to NTSC were it normally being the primary development target + 60hz.

PAL (576i) is superior to NTSC in every regard. Widescreen PAL DVDs offer almost at 720p HD quality. PAL VHS offered progressive pictures instead of 3:2 pulldown Telecine shit.
SCART is utter shit BTW, the connector breaks after plugging and unplugging it for three times. Also TV models happened to only come with the SCART connector and nothing else beside it. RGB is nice to have though.

Generally console makers (Japanese/American fuckers) don't care much about 50 Hz. While PC games, 6th gen and below run fine on it, modern shit consoles simply output 60 Hz, which when stutters on a LCD TV with 50 Hz panel. Especially 30 fps look awful.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with the PAL system itself, it's just that we got fucked over when it came to video games since there's a lot of devs that didn't bother porting their games properly for it.

Ninja what are you doing. Yes the plug itself is rather awkward and hard to connect if you're doing it blindly trying to reach the back of the TV. But how the fuck did you manage to break any pins? The design of the thing itself doesn't let the pins itself connect with anything unless it's already properly lined up and ready to insert. All my life I never broke a single scart pin and I've been fucking with scart for too long. What are you doing to break them you silly nignog

It's something I've noticed that is common among people who fail to see why the PAL standard is a terrible thing. I like to call it the 50hz brain damage, the rest of the world is running 17% faster.

SCART doesn't have pins, but latches. The main problem is that the standard-defined connector design can't bear the forces required to properly insert or remove the connector, so it falls apart after a few cycles.
Also the electrical properties of the connector are horrible, even worse than RCA, which can at least be properly shielded. (While both connectors are equally bad for clean 75 ohm analog video, which really needs BNC.)
SCART was invented by French niggers.

Because it isn't, it's superior to all other analog TV systems.
It's called 50 Hz mains frequency, dumbass.
That's bullshit. PAL transports the same amount of lines, just more of them inside a single frame, which leads to a better picture. PAL can also transport progressive film frames natively, so it's effectively 576p for movies by default.

I just want to say how much i fucking love the design of the Cube even if it barrly had any games and had shitty controllers

Well there's a lot of misunderstandings in these discussions because a lot of americans as well just assume absolutely all japanese and american games run slower on PAL and people who are defending PAL are defending the actual standard and not the byproduct of shitty devs which is not a fault of PAL itself. So people are usually running around in circles discussing completely different things, it happens all the time

That affects only some specific inferior consoles by Japanese makers.
These didn't sell in Europe since 1995. At all.

I understand what you mean, and I'm aware I'm doing it myself. I know the benefits of PAL, but what I'm most interested in was not designed with its benefits or limitations in mind, and was essentially adapted to work in standard, not built for it. There aren't very many european/british games I care much for, and those that I do care for had also been adapted correctly for the NTSC standard. Plus it's not like the standard hinders me in any way, all my CRT displays are multiformat.

I'm sorry if anyone wants to talk about the PAL standard, I don't care very much for it and it doesn't really do much for me.

you are wrong. LCD is shit at playing outside its own resolutions because of hardware limitation as the output are pixels. You can, for example, take a 4k monitor and display it as 1080p, there would be no problem as 4 pixels would be perfectly grouped as one. to properly display 480p on an lcd display you'd need 1280x960 or 2560x1920 otherwise you won't have a perfect which will result in a blurry image. CRTs in the other hand are much better at handling non default resolution because it is a fucking light beam(still, they won't look as good as native res but they will distort much less than lcd)

CRT has a warmth and fuzziness to the image you can't get with LCDs.

If the console was made when CRTs were the norm you're going to get the most authentic experience using a CRT.

widescreen is a meme, but if you want it so badly buy one

It doesn't matter how good your TV is, if it's not a CRT there is going to be visual delay. Maybe not enough if you're playing a super casual game like animal crossing, but it is there.

amazon.com/Sony-KD-34XBR970-34-Inch-Trinitron-Digital/dp/B000F4RC02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476291947&sr=8-1&keywords=sony trinitron wega

amazon.com/Sony-KV-34HS420-34-Inch-Trinitron-HD-Ready/dp/B0002HVIC0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476291951&sr=8-3&keywords=sony wega

Wii's a pretty good option for Classic emulation too. Having a homebrewed wii hooked up to a nice CRT isn't a bad idea.

Hell, man. That just fucking makes it worse.

PS2 at 480p would glitch up constantly. Games like Klonoa 2 would switch back to 480i for cutscenes and the process took 2 and half seconds.
The game isn't unplayable that way, but it's still fucking annoying.

That's a fault of the PS2 not having a standard video resolution. And it's not a problem if you're just sing component cables. The glitching out only happens with scaling boxes like the Framemeister

for some reason the only time nintendo didn't make a shit controller was on nes/snes days and even then it's because it's hard to fuck up a rectangle

CRTs over component
Gamecube has a better DAC though so it's possible that you might get worse image quality out of a wii

wasn't there a homebrew program to force different resolutions on your ps2 games? I remember i played auto modellista on 720p like that and 1080p worked but with slowdowns

The only time the input lag difference between CRT and modern LCD matters is if you're a fighting game pro or a speedrunning autist whose tricks require frame-perfect timing. Otherwise, it's negligible. Unless the LCD really sucks, like it's one of the best buy store-brand pieces of shit with a double digit ms delay.

Why hasn't anyone painted the white parts of a gamecube green and named it the DoseCube?