Unexpected

What are some video games that surprised you by being better than expected?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!UhtSTA5S!u9hAjGsOFetjRWPDjsmgmg
buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2svn/index.php?m=fulllist
youtube.com/watch?v=r5IEvs_oWg8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Binary Domain was a very pleasant surprise.
The fact that it was free for a while added to the enjoyment.

Senran kagura
I went in thinking it would just be cheap shallow tiddie bait like a newgrounds flash game
But they are solid games since then ive purchased them all 2 figures and a mousepad

Mad Max was decent.

People lied & told me the combat was like the Arkham games, but I discovered it has no instant action cancelling thus requires some semblance of timing to avoid damage taken & maximize damage given. The underground areas with that Buzzards gang (those guys with the glowing red eyes) were pretty neat. The environments, the atmosphere & the storms were cool. I liked raiding the cobbled together strongholds & giving them a real bad day. I liked the health management relied on a sipping a canteen which must be refilled. The story didn't interest me much since I'm not big into storytelling. I was not very good at car combat, had to upgrade a lot. Didn't race much either since it's mostly optional. It ran pretty well for me & I heard it was optimized by the "A-Team" of the Just Cause devs. Rather nice graphics. Overall, I was surprised it didn't suck. Maybe my low expectations made it seem better than it was, but I had fun with it.

Exanima
Thought it would just be a shitty silly qwop dungeon crawler game.
but once I actually learned the controls the combat become so well fluent and fun

Darksiders. I liked the game much more than I thought I would

Doom 3

Salt and Sanctuary, horrible character artstyle, but a rather good game, between 2D dark souls and a metroidvania.

In a console being crushed with piles of shitty minigame collections, a sequel to Excite Truck would release with this box art.
It appeared the game was defiled and made into a casual piece of garbage like so much other shovelware before it, but instead it was a true game which surpassed its predecessor.

CrossCode, it actually reminded me of the good old days of secret of mana 1 & 2.
But because it's not finished yet i'm thorn between wanting him to finish it fast but also not rushing the game out.

Besides one bullshit boss and the occasional enemies flipping when you roll though them it's a solid game.

The game certainly looks pretty. Is the demo worth trying?
I think the devs live pretty close to me and I have to look for a mandatory internship soon.

You should play the games he made before he went full cuckold:
mega.nz/#F!UhtSTA5S!u9hAjGsOFetjRWPDjsmgmg

That one DS game that's obviously an arcade racing shovelware game, but when played it's a lot fun than i thought it would be

with crazy modes such as racking up points by crashing into everything, bowling with cars, etc etc

Sure, thanks. Though what do you mean by going full cuckold ?

download the pirated copy, it will give you a better idea

I'll look for that then, thanks.

it's on the thread about the game here on Holla Forums

Oh, didn't see there was one. Thanks m8.

This hands down. Especially that it was only 10 bux.

Insurgency.
I bought it after I saw a webm of it and have had no regrets.
I like where the gameplay is between sim and arcade.

I always crack up when I see the video.
Thanks for posting it,

It was indeed. Shame it flopped so hard but then the marketing was terrible. I only got around to playing it after multiple people I trust shilled it hard.

Just Cause 2. I wasnt expecting much when I rented it thinking it was going to be just another sandbox game. But I actually enjoyed playing that more than GTA IV.

I tried playing that but it was just another generic open world game.

Sonic and all stars racing transformed.
Best kart racing game ever.

It turned out to be pretty decent platformer.

I thought this would be an autistic fanfic tier shitty sonic ripoff

I got a better 2d sonic game then any of the 2d sonic games, one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard, and the coolest bosses i've ever seen in a 2d platformer.

The plot's still pretty autistic and fanfic tier though

Also, asura's wrath. I knew it was going to more or less be an interactive shonen anime and not much of a game, but i didn't expect it to execute on it so fucking well. Dethroned G Gundam and TTGL as the best dumb over the top action bullshit i've seen.

I have just one question for you:
Is this bait?

Joke's on you, faggot, I actually like 80s pop.

Tharsis was actually really good. Short-lived but really good.

Fuck, I love Chinatown Wars, but it gets barely mentioned in GTA-threads.

I never expected I'd have as much with Prototype as I did. It's definitely my favorite superhero (I consider it one) game.

It's a weeb musou/tower defense hybrid with great music and /vr/ pandering.
Best game I downloaded off freeshop because it didn't weight too much and looked fun
Hope it gets a PC port or something so it doesn't fade into obscurity.

I could swear at least the trailer was available on the EU-eshop, but I can't find it anymore, is any hope lost?

Prototype, goddamn that game was fun
The fight were stupid, but the amount of bullshit you could do and get away with was cool

don't get me wrong SK games are fine as faras the ones I've played at least but you totally fell for the waifu/titty bait.

but it's made in japan…

wait a sec, wasn't this on the xbox arcade first?

If so I'm glad it got a sequel. Game was fun as fuck.
I might even buy it later today.

I was just playing it because I was bored but I started to enjoy it more

I almost didn't even want to pirate this game just due to disk space my expectations were so low. Everything about this game looked bad.

I don't know how the fuck it ended up anywhere near as good as it was.

best 5 bux at walmart I ever used for a bargain bin game

I figured it'd be just a meme-game aimed to cash in on controversy,, but it was actually pretty good

Got a N3DS and wanted to play shit to make it feel like a better purchase than just a 2DS and got this. I was expecting an okay game since I had never played a game like this before but heard it was grindy and now I'm looking to get into Dynasty Warriors.

That game is soo good!

It's a great way to introduce casuals into fighting games.

Love the wide-variety of characters. Also hearing Paul Eiding makes it better.

I wish the emulated version didn't collapse into itself during FMV's.

There should be more police games.

That game was great. I wish my PS2 still worked so I could see if it was as fun as I remember.

This was the only racing game I liked

It's not Prey 2 but it's not bad for an old console shooter, playing a space bounty hunter is kinda cool.

You see user, back in those ancient, heady days of 2010 we had these things called "video rental stores". These stores allowed to to walk in and "rent" DVDs or games that they had in stock for an amount of cash dependent upon the number of days you wished to rent the product for.
Legend has it that stores also had a subscription service (much like your PS+ or xbl subscription) that let you rent multiple games or films for however many days, though experts are somewhat divided on this.

HW is actually better than DW in a lot of ways

This rage inducing shit. I didn't expect it to be as good as Heroes 3, but it's very very close, and I've barely started. The difficulty is ridiculous.

I still rent video games and movies from Family Video purely for nostalgia's sake

I wonder why, its on everything and its a really fun game.

Hey, gay nigger sex asshole bitch?

>it gives hope for man
Scott may not have made the OST but he fucking used it to perfection.

It's almost like you put the whole song to force me to listen to it so many times that I end up liking it

Just

the game was fucking fantastic.

fucking hell that game was baller. The insane shit that was hidden all over was fantastic and how duke motormouth about fucking everything was wonderful.

Not bait but perhaps slight embellishment. the game is pretty fucking solid and does Maro Kart better than Mario Kart with actual racing skills needed to win instead of blind luck.

It also introduces true flying and water physics due to the triphibian racing style and a requirement for knowing the courses outside of "you boost here".

nuDoom. Turns out you can ignore most of the glory kill stuff and it's even necessary to avoid on nightmare if you don't want to die randomly. It's actually quite fun. The multiplayer is a disaster, though.

YES YES YES

A friend of mine found this in a bargain bin. I thought it would be typical wii shovelware. It actually was pretty good.

Turned out to actualy be a lot of fun and the dialogue options as well as voice i felt actualy improved and fixed what was wrong with previous games.

todd howard plz go

Dragon's Dogma really surprised me. I thought it would be just "neat" but it really blew me away.

I thought new Doom was going to be dogshit, but I ended up liking it quite a bit. It has problems but it wasn't the absolute catastrophe I thought it'd be.

ITT: people afraid of their taste

This. I remember getting this game as a gift and it was pretty fucking rad.

ftfy

Ironstorm, also known as World War Zero on the consoles. I bought a pirated copy of the PS2 version of this game in Asia in 2004 and I had a fun time playing it one afternoon while I was still there. I brought the disc back to the states with me but unfortunately it was region locked and it faded to memory. This summer, I remembered the game and I looked it up and was pleased to find it on Steam. I promptly downloaded it and I have been really enjoying playing through on the hardest difficulty.

Its an old school FPS. It is challenging and the enemy AI is unforgiving. For the time the graphics are actually really good and upscaled to 1440p it is actually pretty damn slick.

But here's the real reason I love this game: the setting. In the world of Iron Storm, World War One never ended. The game takes place in 1960 and the Great War, as it is known, has been raging for decades. Alliances have shifted and empires have risen and fallen and the conflict is divided with the United States and Western Europe on one hand, and Prussia, Mongolia, and Russia on the other. Technology progressed but due to the wartime economy, all the technology is crude dieselpunk shit. There are assault rifles and attack helicopters but they are all made of wrought iron and wood.

I've been having a lot of fun with this title and if you like older FPS and history, especially alternate history, its definitely worth checking out.

I remember seeing a video of the game when it came out of some guy killing tons of enemies with the screen turned off, made me weary of the game.

Saw it a couple days ago for $5 for the game and all the DLC, so decided to get it. It's actually alright. At the start it's really easy but when they start adding new enemy types it does get a little harder, you won't be able to just spam attack and parry with them because you'll be killed.
Also think it's pretty neat if you get killed,the Orc that kills you gets promoted to being a boss orc.

Get the fuck out

life
i need some gondola webms

Motherfucking Everspace

I heard some good things, so I gave it a try, and I tell you hwaht, as arcade space shooters go, it's probably my favorite to have come out since Freelancer. It runs stable, looks pretty good. Some areas are just space, maybe with some planets in the background or something, but some areas look damn good. Ship art direction is paint-by-numbers generic, but still good. Controls are tight, you get a decent variety of weapons and ship gadgets to suit a number of play styles. Oddly, the sniper gun has no zoom. The progression mechanic of spending all the cash you earned in the last life to buy upgrades is pretty cool. The other progression mechanic of randomly finding blueprints to craft the items you would normally have to get as random drops is less cool, but whatever. Wish you could unlock them with cash.

The game escalates nicely as you proceed. Unfortunately, you always start from the beginning, so once you get some choice upgrades, the early parts are too easy. I'd imagine that if you played the shit out of it and unlocked every upgrade, the whole game would be too easy. It's also a bit short. I beat it in about eight hours, though I plan on going through a few more times.

Shit's still in beta, but at this point, I'd say it's easily finished enough to have a good time with.

I'd give it a solid 8/10

This one is all you get because this thread is pretty good

I don't know about you man, but The Game turned out better than I expected, even though I just lost.

oh, you cheeky motherfucker.

Resident Evil 4 was overrated, and Leon walks crooked.

I played 1080 at a friend's house and loved it. Asked it for Christmas, and got Wave Race 64 instead. That turned out amazing too.

Can those goddamned robots walk yet?
I don't want another shmup.

Everyone told me these games weren't very good, and that translations were barely understandable, but I enjoyed them a lot. The translations do have pretty bad grammar at points, but they weren't bad enough to bring the overall quality of the games down for me.

Your shitty game is fucking worse than 3 Todd

I never expected how good this game would turn out to be. I still play it occasionally after 4 years.

My nigger

Minna de Mamotte Knight: Hime no Tokemeki Rhapsody

Look for that.

I don't really see where the tower defense elements are. There's pretty much just barricade building and the keeping the Princess from getting slammed too hard.

Amazon best hero.

Everyone always asks for the song from this one

Nep

I was expecting a shovelware filled with the show's memes but I was big into the show at the time so I pirated it.
It turned out to be loads of fun and actually very creative, and even the show fan service was enjoyable (arino commenting on your play with things liks 'ABUNAI' and 'suge' and AD's featured in the game magazines as the experts giving you advice.)
It's a shame the localization removed the fan service but you can return arino's voice by fucking around with the file for a whole five minutes.

I'm actually surprised at how fucking cool this game is considering he made Check E. Cheese Jump Scare Simulator 5000. I really love the mechanics of it, the buff/minigame based combat is neat as hell. Also the combat music is god-tier.

Rimworld
I expected some shallow casual colony game, but I was surprised by the amount of detail and how it doesn't seem to pull many punches.

Also joke's on you OP, I listened to the whole thing

undertale

Did we even play the same game? I'm playing Shinovi Versus right now and it's just as shallow and mindless as I expected. I remember Burst on 3DS being more fun, but I haven't played that one long enough to make a final judgement.

fuckin this. the car customization was awesome, and doing convoy battles in first-person still feel good, even though my thunderpoon is basically a one hit kill now. great game

chinatown = gta 1 + dopewars

The entire Atelier series.
I expected cheesy weaboo trash and got a game with really cool characters and awesome gameplay.

I expected a cheap GTA clone
I got an ambitious GTA clone that was better than most of the series it's cloning

What the actual fuck is going on with this UI? You got fucking virtual fighter going on in the Centre, 2 different version of Galaga in the top right, guitar hero on the top banner, and someone is playing astroid in the centre. Not to mention the hacking screen in the bottom left.

it's a good song though

I have to play this game again someday.

maybe once that well dries up hell start doing that for fun, you never know

>I wish the emulated version didn't collapse into itself during FMV's.
buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2svn/index.php?m=fulllist
Download build 5903. Fixes the audio problems, runs SoR pretty much perfectly.

Dragon's Crown. Don't normally like that genre of game. The tits helped.

I sort of ran into the issue with Mad Max that I did with Shadows of Mordor, that once you reach the mid-endgame point, even with tons of content still left to experience, you just get kind of OP and the repetitive nature of the gameplay gets to you.

Was a good buy for thirty bucks though, was happy with it.

My pleasant surprise of recent was Mafia 2. I understand it's supposedly not as good as the first game, but I found it a rather enjoyable experience. Wouldn't have minded a touch more on the sandbox side of things, but it's a decent enough experience.

The problem I had with Mad Max was by the time you felt like you could get anything done, you were done with the game. There was no way to max yourself out (hurr) without doing all of the goddamn plot missions to unlock engine classes and other shit.

That as well. By the time I'd unlocked the V8 engines and gotten my car properly prepared, I felt burnt out.

I quit playing it shortly after buying it. It's not bad, but it felt to me like a borderline "fun with friends" game. Then again, I own a literal pile of guns, and never take them to the range, so maybe I am immune to having fun?

I'm surprised that I finished the game, myself. Didn't 100% it because the races sucked, and collecting the widgets was a pain in the ass. Still, the game was pretty solid, and set up quite a bit of backstory for the apocalypse and Max himself, if you chose to dig it all up. Last few missions and the ending pissed me off, though. Apparently Max is hardcore autistic.

I actually liked their explanation for why the world was so fucked in Mad Max, all the water just fucked off.

I figured that was a given, really. Max has always been kind of an autismo.

Was there a plot besides "muh V8"?

All of the subplots of the various groups you fetch shit for, and rescuing that woman and her daughter, but MAX IS A ZERO SUM GUY, so guess.

Max tries to move on from his past by falling in love with a hot concubine.

It ends about as well as you'd expect.

They all die, Max kills the bad guy, and continues to be horrendously miserable for the rest of his life.

Excepted low level arkham knockoff trash, got one half of a crusader buddy cop movie and one half tomb raiding with french whore. Probably the second time I enjoy this type of combat after Hand of Fate.

I had never played a VN and thought that every single one of them was a dating sim. I only got through the first hour of DR because my roommate begged me and the way they pushed Sayaka on the player made me still think that it was a dating sim. Then someone died and it became a lot more interesting from that point forward, now this shit somehow made its way onto my top 10 but I don't even know if it counts as a game.

pic related is OC

what a loser

This is obviously bait but I ended up legitimately enjoying it for actual reasons. I pirated it recently because of the FROST mod, which removes pretty much every NPC and quest from the game and just makes you have to survive in the much more difficult world while balancing the game accordingly. It turns the game into a pretty enjoyable survival game and with mods the settlements are pretty enjoyable too.

What's wrong with parkour? That just sounds like a movement system that is fairly complex in a game with lots of verticality. Surf maps in CSS are super fun and have an absurdly high skill cap.

I think it's more the general implementation of parkour being a sprint button on steroids in most games.

The problem with parkour in games is that characters can perform it with no stamina hit. Most people can barely vault over something at waist height, never mind go full Spider-Man up ladders and across window ledges. So apparently it takes less effort to scrawl all over every vertical surface than it does to run in a straight line for 30 seconds.

2007 called.

They want their shitty meme back.

shit like that doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is whether it adds depth to the gameplay.

Ah you mean the Asscreed style "hold A to be a badass ninja" situation. I was thinking of more along the lines of Mirror's Edge which has a lot more depth to its movement than pretty much any FPS that doesn't have bunnyhopping.

Nice try, Todd.

It's internally inconsistent. Tell me how that benefits gameplay.

It doesn't benefit gameplay because it doesn't impact it. It merely harms the believably of the setting.

Imagine if everything in a game was a completely abstract colored cube and there was no dialogue, no non tutorial text, and no indications of what the story or setting are. If some part of that game like how you only lose stamina while sprinting negatively impacts the game then it is a problem with gameplay. For all you know in that situation the stamina bar is the "on ground speed boost" bar and the fact that it isn't depleted when you climb doesn't matter at all.

Also this isn't even a problem inherent to parkour in games. There's plenty of games that have parkour and no stamina meter that limits how much you can run, in fact I'd say that other than Dying Light every single one of them is like this, even Asscreed.

the sequel was shit though

How was Dante's Inferno?

Everything I've heard about the game made it out to be a shitter God of War, but I was slightly impressed at the interpretations of the various levels of hell.

Drak souls 3 youtube.com/watch?v=r5IEvs_oWg8

When I started playing and shit was 3D I had to take a doubletake.

Yeah, that shit blew my mind too. Pretty damn fun game too. It's too bad that Touch & Roll ended up sucking so hard.

Tell me about FROST. After playing some Call of Chernobyl, it sounds interesting. I couldn't stomach Fallout 4 at all on release, even free, so I never finished it. Outright refused to, especially as it was pirated, no investment. The plot was horrendous and it wasn't even a good shooter or /k/ustomization game like most glass-quarter-full anons thought, including myself, it was just an awful slog that wasn't worth investing time in.

Going by the name and a quick look, it's a post-nuked Boston shithole simulator. How much am I gonna get the shit kicked out of me? What should I graft onto it beside the makers' recommended mods? Will I be able to be a bushwhacking mountain man and eventually drown in milsurp and homemade landmines? Is it fun?

I still have my xbox copy of this. Back in the day i played this so many hours. I even unlocked the infinite ammo minigun without walkthroughs. It was cool to see all the bullet inpacts on the shield and blood stains after bashing it against masked weirdos.

The humor was alright, but anything else was really boring gameplay wise.

Hey, I'm the lead designer for I Am Alive, let me share the source code with you. I transliterated the more complicated parts into greentext.

Label fightStart:>player points at badGuy with gun>bad guy wants nothing to do with player>"Hey, take it easy"if (badGuy.confidence > pussy): >"Hey that gun's empty" >badGuy wants something to do with player >player shoots badGuy badGuyList.pop() if (badGuyList.size > 0): goto fightStart else: goto fightWonelse: >player turns around >bad guy charges player goto fightStartLabel fightWon:>loot badGuyinventory.add(bullet)>climb for 30 minutes

the sequel sucks though

The game was the shit when it came out.
I remember investing so much time in it. 10/10 game right here.

funny shit

Besides how undeveloped the game is, I really love the atmosphere. It's the only post-apocalyptic game I've found so far that doesn't have any sort of supernatural zombies or mutants.

Does anyone know of a post-apocalyptic game focused on strictly human dynamics in a fucked up world? Only thing that comes close is NEO Scavenger, but even that has some supernatural shit and the random futuristic, populated city.

Incest Simulator 2013.

That one was very good, it's weird how I had never even heard of it before playing it since it's a solid fun game.

I wish there was a good PC game like this out recently, or even a re-release of it.

Can't seem to find a open world game.

12mb limit was a mistake. How the hell is this video even over 5mb at 480? Come on dicks.

These three were a real treat to go through.

GTAV

I usually get bored halfway through a GTA game, but I am a big fan of the robbery missions and the switching between characters mechanic. I also lie having quick save so I dont have to walk all the way home when I want to quit

There are other little things as well

Go look into Fallout New Vegas's version made by the same Author, it's called DUST.

Honestly, even though I think Fallout New Vegas is the objectively better game (by a longshot), it sure has shitty gunplay in comparison to Fallout 4.

Also webm related to mod

After seeing Holla Forums shit all over it like gone homo or bioshit infinite I expected some nasty stuff. I always at least play something before shitting all over it unlike shitposters and Undertale was a bretty gud game

the fanbase is fucking batshit insane and that makes the game appear to be much, much worse than it actually is

I got through it and did True Pacifist, and it was good fun, made me laugh a bit, but it's nothing to shit yourself over like those madmen on tumblr would lead you to believe. I've had my fun and I can't imagine wanting to play it again.

It just came out at a time where games weren't great all year, and you didn't have to import shit from other countries to get it to run.

now genocide

Why user?

I bought this game during a sale, and then it ended up being switched to a free game and I still wish I had paid full price, just because of how deeply it hooked me and made me want to keep playing.

By the time you get a good handle on the mechanics, the game is already over, but it's still deeply satisfying all the same.

Genocide is worth it. Trust me. You can walk in a direction then alt-tab and do something else until you find an encounter

does the steam version still runs at 5x normal speed though ?

I tried playing it a few years back because it gets frequently recommended but remember it was broken with a speed bug.

My only problem outside Early Access is how everything looks like the dev used movies for combat choreography.

My nigga, got it on a pirated disk to use with my modded PS1. So great and one of the best Announcers

Also I'm compelled to shill TXR/ITC whenever because god damn no one even knows how good they are. And special mention to one of the few good tie-in's

I just didn't know what to expect going in. I bought it based on someone saying it's good while I saw it in a game store.

There's a fix. Search SR2 powertools.

Rented SW Racer on a lark, expecting something extremely shallow.

Didn't sleep for two days.

Those games look like pretty comfy games user

Then BAM! Shootan, Takan cover, Tactical moves, Crazy action and story, fucking kick ass game all around when I expected fucking nothing.

I really missed this, can we go back to doing this please?